Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's some New York.

Ironically, I think that New York City itself would be smaller ITTL, since, without the resources of the OTL USA, the Erie Canal probably would've been built.

If a democratic government is installed in Russia in 1917, then why is there the God-Damned Khazak Border™. Also, Karakalpak Republic for the win!

God-Damned Khazak Border™ is eternal. God-Damned Khazak Border™ is ubiquitous. We will never escape the God-Damned Khazak Border™.

Not quite a full map, but rather a preview of the project I'm working on, sort of an atlas of the Where Hearts Were Entertaining June universe. This one is an inset map that shows the decline of colonialism in South America. It starts off with English Brazil breaking away as the United Kingdom of Brazil, and after a few decades continues first in the Southern Cone with Brazilian help, then in northern South America and Central America without Brazilian assistance. The presence or lack of Brazilian help in the independence of the various states of South and Central America is a major sticking point for years to come that divides the Spanish-speaking nations of the Americas.

Many thanks to Reagent for help with the Portuguese and river names.

SPKzFt6.png

Last edited:
Not quite a full map, but rather a preview of the project I'm working on, sort of an atlas of the Where Hearts Were Entertaining June universe. This one is an inset map that shows the decline of colonialism in South America. It starts off with English Brazil breaking away as the United Kingdom of Brazil, and after a few decades continues first in the Southern Cone with Brazilian help, then in northern South America and Central America without Brazilian assistance. The presence or lack of Brazilian help in the independence of the various states of South and Central America is a major sticking point for years to come that divides the Spanish-speaking nations of the Americas.

I haven't read the TL, but if Brazil was English, with English-sounding cities, why do the rivers still have the same Spanish/Portuguese-sounding names as OTL? Sure the ones that start in Spanish territory like the Paraguay could stay called that, but the São Francisco and the Tapajós stand out like a sore thumb. Even if they were discovered by Portuguese explorers the names should have at least been Anglicized, if not outright changed.

EDIT: If the PoD was in the 1580s then there's no way some of those rivers would have the same names. The Amazon itself had only been explored and named 40 years before.

Last edited:
So, while I'm working on some electoral maps for interwar Czechoslovakia and in order not to die of boredom yesterday, I made a map of the administrative divisions of Czechoslovakia between 1920 and 1927. The project, while interesting was a failure for 3 reasons: 1) lack of money, 2) opposition from the Czechoslovak right-wing to its implementation in Czech lands because at least two counties would have a German majority and 3) when implemented in Slovakia and the elections were held in 1923 apparently the results were so bad for the Czechoslovak parties and their Slovak/Hungarian-German allies and so good those of the Slovak nationalists that the results were never published. So, this was always more a de iure idea that never got implemented.

I still thought it was pretty neat though. Czechoslovakia is divided into 'zemí' (lands), which were to be nominal units; then into 'zup' (counties) with a limited degree of self-governance and autonomy and further subdivided into 'okresy' (districts). The counties were numbered from 1 to 20 (originally 21) in Roman numbers, which I thought was neat and a great example of centralism. Ruthenia, as an autonomous region (more nominally than in reality though) was not a part of this plan, and instead it adopted its own division into 'zup' and 'okresy' on its own.

Same applies for Prague, which remained outside of any county, even from the homonymous one, although it was its capital.

Here is the map:

czechoslovakia%20administrative%20divisions%2019201927%20map.png

PS: Believe it or not, I found the divisions for Ruthenia in a weird map signaling the medical facilities of Czechoslakia. Not that I'm complaining.

Go West, Reanimator!

The Experiments of Dr. Herbert West were instrumental in the elimination of Death, and the creation of the modern world of Preternatural Modernism and Technothaumatology. While lacking in FC-75 and the Decantation Injections which were introduced by Soviet doctors after the Great Dying, Herbert West's serum was considered a proto-Haloneurological Programming Serum (HNPSe).

West is understood to have succeeded in reanimation in the early 20th century, in the small town of Bolton, in Massachusetts currently the State of Attucks. His first success was an unnamed man dubbed 'Crispis' after the First Libertine Martyr, from the same source as the state. Later research has confirmed that there is chemical evidence tying Herbert West to revenant activity in Arkham where he had studied at Miskatonic University, though little is known of such events. At least fifteen bodies in Bolton were experimented upon, of which, four are confirmed to have been 'successful' by modern standards, with signs of brain function (some of which West noted, but did not identify as vitality due to lack of knowledge of the true functionality of the brain).

The urban legends regarding the monstrous nature of West's experiments are of dubious nature, and frightfully biased against the pioneering scientist. During his career in Pre-enlightened christian New England, West butted heads with authorities predisposed to believing Yahweian Propaganda of Heaven and Hell and the cartesian soul. In addition, West served admirably in a foreign nation, Canada, the predecessor of the American Arctic states, among others, a slight to the pseudopatriotism of the established Abrahamic white gentry.

Unfortunately, West himself was killed by his long time associate Dr. Charles Manton before he could complete the key components of immortality now known to the civilized universe. His research, though ended abruptly, set the stage for Robert Benton, Percy Lavon Julian, and Fyodor Demikhov to continue the process of reanimation and vital preservation.

attachment.php

What's the fate of the "partially sucessful" tests?

Killed or permanently locked in asylums according to the official version: formed a Herbert West-killing posse of unspeakable horrors according to Maton's clearly fabricated tale. I mean, a reanimate carrying his own head around in a box? Clearly the ravings of a madman.

I haven't read the TL, but if Brazil was English, with English-sounding cities, why do the rivers still have the same Spanish/Portuguese-sounding names as OTL? Sure the ones that start in Spanish territory like the Paraguay could stay called that, but the São Francisco and the Tapajós stand out like a sore thumb. Even if they were discovered by Portuguese explorers the names should have at least been Anglicized, if not outright changed.

EDIT: If the PoD was in the 1580s then there's no way some of those rivers would have the same names. The Amazon itself had only been explored and named 40 years before.
While I can agree about some things, particularly renaming the Amazon (hopefully going to get Reagant's help with that), I have to disagree with the bolded part. While Canada might Anglicize names, Brazil ITTL is more akin to the US as regards to place names. Which is why while the biggest cities shown on this map (this is ultimately going to be an inset map, not a big map, so it only shows BIG cities) are English-named, there are many Portuguese-named cities as well. And as for rivers, like I said I'll change major ones that NEED to be changed, but plenty won't be Anglicized. After all, in the US we have plenty of non-Anglicized major rivers:
Colorado River, More than Two States, (Colorado means Reddish)
Agua Fria River, Arizona, (Agua Fria means Cold Water)
Blanco River, Texas, (Blanco means White)
Brazos River, Texas (Brazos means Arms)
Calaveras River, California (Calaveras means Skulls)
Castor Rive, Missouri, (Castor means Beaver)
Conejos River, Colorado, (Conejo means Rabbits)
Escalante River, Utah, (Escalante is an Spanish last name)
Estrella River, California, (Estrella means Star)
Fresno River, California, Fresno means Ash (tree)
Frio River, Texas, Frio means Cold
La Plata River, Colorado and New Mexico, La Plata means The Silver
Leon River, Texas, Leon means Lion
Llano River, Texas, Llano means Plain
Nacimiento River, California, Nacimiento means Birth
Navarro River, California, Navarro is a last name
Nueces River, Texas, Nueces means Nuts
Pajaro River, California, Pajaro means Bird
Perdido River, Alabama and Florida, Perdido means Lost
Rio Hondo, California, Hondo means Deep
Rio Puerco, New Mexico, Puerco means Dirty
Rio Riudoso, New Mexico, Ruidoso means Noisy

Deleted member 67076

The WIP continues. I really need to decide what to do with North America and Sub Saharan Africa.

IRw1lLj.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Most of the rivers are based on indigenous names (Tapajós for example - though the accent would probably be dropped)).

While I can agree about some things, particularly renaming the Amazon (hopefully going to get Reagant's help with that), I have to disagree with the bolded part. While Canada might Anglicize names, Brazil ITTL is more akin to the US as regards to place names. Which is why while the biggest cities shown on this map (this is ultimately going to be an inset map, not a big map, so it only shows BIG cities) are English-named, there are many Portuguese-named cities as well. And as for rivers, like I said I'll change major ones that NEED to be changed, but plenty won't be Anglicized. After all, in the US we have plenty of non-Anglicized major rivers:

Which are all in the territories acquired from Mexico in the 1840s by the United States, not a colony acquired by Britain in the 18th Century. I assure you that while some major rivers may retain their name- the Colorado and the Amazon for example- minor rivers are very likely to get spelt differently or end up with new names as new people move in and want something that makes more sense to them.

Which are all in the territories acquired from Mexico in the 1840s by the United States, not a colony acquired by Britain in the 18th Century. I assure you that while some major rivers may retain their name- the Colorado and the Amazon for example- minor rivers are very likely to get spelt differently or end up with new names as new people move in and want something that makes more sense to them.
Meh. Some I'll change where it makes sense, some I won't where the settlers will be fine with a native name or a slightly-changed spelling from the Portuguese.

Last edited:

Deleted member 67076

This is an awful lot of concern for some minor river and place names.

Status
Not open for further replies.