Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

I don't know why I wasn't already subscribed to this awesome TL.

You know, when I binge-read through everything you'd written a few months ago, I got a little confused between OTL and TTL. :D

Glen

I don't know why I wasn't already subscribed to this awesome TL.

You know, when I binge-read through everything you'd written a few months ago, I got a little confused between OTL and TTL. :D

Superman, it's never too late!

Got lost in the DSAverse, eh? Lots of fun but not good if you have to take a history test! ;)

I would be interested to hear some of your overall impressions of the timeline since you recently got the condensed view.

Superman, it's never too late!

Got lost in the DSAverse, eh? Lots of fun but not good if you have to take a history test! ;)

I would be interested to hear some of your overall impressions of the timeline since you recently got the condensed view.
Well, it wasn't actually very recent, to be honest. It was a few months ago. Still, very well-written, plausible, and entertaining.

So I'm curious...how would you describe the world to someone who hadn't read it?

I'm not sure about Superman, but my take would be: picture if the Deep South sang "Hail, Britannia" instead of "Dixie", and Americans eat poutine as often as hamburgers and dogs :p.

Regarding the top five cities updates from last page, I am curious what the national populations for the USA and DSA would be, respectively? I get that the latter is less populated than the former.

Glen

The Subcontinental Crisis and subsequent split between the British Empire and UNI (United Nationalities of India), left the status of the 15 Gurkha Regiments in a sort of limbo. At the time of the split, only 5 regiments were in India, the rest were deployed to British interests across the globe. The famed phlegmatic warriors of legend were highly sought after by both the Empire and the former Dominion. Those regiments in India were induced to stay with the new country of UNI, but the 10 Gurkha regiments abroad were adamant that they would remain in the service of the British sovereign. Many saw this as a pragmatic move given the large pensions (the equal to what British career soldiers could expect since the reign of Elizabeth) the Gurkhas expected to obtain through their service to the Crown. Indeed, to retain the remaining Gurkhas in India the UNI coalition government had to match those rates, much to the chagrin of other units of the nascent UNI military, coalescing around the old Dominion of India forces. The regiments that joined the UNI went through a slight renaming to become the UNI Gorkha Regiments.
khukuri-cross.jpg

I guess its time for me to go reread this, as I have absolutely what is going on outside of a vague memory of a Prussia-Poland :p

Well, I've been working on this awhile on and off, but remember how the question of what the DSA's flag would look like came about? Here's my best and latest shot at it in the attachment. Thoughts? Please be gentle :eek:

1920s DSA Flag_2.0.png

Last edited:

Glen

Well, I've been working on this awhile on and off, but remember how the question of what the DSA's flag would look like came about? Here's my best and latest shot at it in the attachment. Thoughts? Please be gentle :eek:

Needs color...probably just another early 20th century attempt, however. In the end, the Southrons are going to want something more distinct I suspect...but then again, maybe with color I could be convinced....

Needs color...probably just another early 20th century attempt, however. In the end, the Southrons are going to want something more distinct I suspect...but then again, maybe with color I could be convinced....

I think that's fair, as I'm sure you noticed I'm no artist. At the very least, it's a tad bland in terms of what could get added to the flag, such as no actual seal or vexillological flair.

Glen

While Imperial London made a strong bid to be the host site for the second Olympics in 1934, it was known that the favorite was St. Petersburg. Alexander Chuzakov advocated passionately for the assignation, and the final death knell in London's competition was the Subcontinental Crisis. Several of the backers of the Olympics favored the Malthusian cause, and the British government's handling of the crisis essentially sealed the fate of the second Olympics.

In celebration of the upcoming competition, the Russian government and Chuzakov commissioned a giant recreation of the statue of Zeus for the games, designed to rival the size of the famous statues straddling the Hudson in America.

Zeus Reborn.png