What If the BBC had made Star Trek in the 1960's?

Anyone who was American in the OTL cast will be English, except maybe one cast member will be the token stereotypical American (maybe with a Southern accent).

well...Dr.Who and Star Trek:TOS really were very, very similar back then.
ST had yet to take itself seriously and have a well thought out universe. It was just about going to planets and having adventures just like Dr.Who.
But anyway, assuming a actual Brit ST (How? Was this ever a conception?)

Perhaps the big deal with English Star Trek could be rather then blacks and women in positions of power (big scandal in America) have working class people be equal with toffs?

randomkeith

Banned
The big difference would be Scotty, who would now be knowen as Bamma and have a totally out of place southern USA drawl. clashing with the upperclass accents of all the British officers on board

Captain Pike - American-accented white male
Number One - English-accented white female
Spock - English-accented white male
Doctor Boyce - American-accented white male
Scotty - Scottish-accented white male
Navigator - foreign-accented white male (i.e. "from the continent")
Uhura - English-accented black female
Yeoman Colt - American-accented white female

Captain Pike - American-accented white male
Number One - English-accented white female
Spock - English-accented white male
Doctor Boyce - American-accented white male
Scotty - Scottish-accented white male
Navigator - foreign-accented white male (i.e. "from the continent")
Uhura - English-accented black female
Yeoman Colt - American-accented white female

And why would a British TV series use an American lead?

~The Doctor~

Star Trek goes to ITV, and battles with Doctor Who for viewers.

Doctor Who wins, of course.:D

And why would a British TV series use an American lead?

Yeah, this is being made by the BBC, so it's for a British audience. The captain would have to be a British male.

I don't think Star Trek would do as well as a British series as it did as an American one. There aren't any issues in Britain which it could use to inspire plotlines. It looks cool, there's lots of exploring of uncharted planets, and some fighting, but... it's just not as philosophically deep as it was OTL.

I'd say this ATL Star Trek becomes more of an obscure cult phenomenon, like OTL Battlestar Galactica or Red Dwarf.

It's the 1960's not the 1860's.

Its still there, see that famous two Ronnie's sketch with John Cleese.
True its on the way out by then though certainly not 1860s, more 1950s.

Its the way things are. America has race issues, Britain has class issues (even today).

Last edited:
The original Star Trek had a very naval feel Admirals, people being piped aboard and the redcoated security on the landing parties were Royal Marine rip offs.

So I give you HORNBLOWER IN SPACE .

The BBC making Star Trek? What a interesting concept..... Some suggestions:

:)If Captain Scarlett on ITV could have a moderate racial spread of characters (Captain Black was white, Lieut Green was black) so coulda BBC version of Star Trek.

:)I'll assume we end up with the characters that actually appeared in the American version:

Captain Kirk (white male) - Michael Caine, Alfie, Zulu, The Italian Job
Science Officer Spock ("white" half-Vulcan) - Stratford Johns Z Cars, Dr Who, Blakes 7
Chief Engineer Scott (white male )- Iain Cuthbertson; Budgie, The Stone Tape, Supergran
Dr McCoy (black male )- Rudolph Walker; Love Thy Neighbour, Dr Who The War Games.
Helmsman Li (oriental male) - Bert Kwouk (Inspector Clouseau, Goldfinger
Yeoman Rand (white female) - Susan Hampshire ; Forsyte Saga
Communications Officer Lt Usher (white female)- Diana Rigg The Avengers
Ensign Chekhova (white female) - Michelle Dotrice - Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em

:)The music would be done by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop

:)Themes would include decolonisation, racism and environmental pollution

:)There would less emphasis on the Enterprise using militray might to solev problems.

Thande

Donor
:)If Captain Scarlett on ITV could have a moderate racial spread of characters (Captain Black was white, Lieut Green was black) so coulda BBC version of Star Trek.

Lieutenant Green was Asian (in the British sense, ie Indian) not black. (At least I thought he was...)