What If the BBC had made Star Trek in the 1960's?

Lieutenant Green was Asian (in the British sense, ie Indian) not black. (At least I thought he was...)

Sorry to disagree with such a clearly highly respected person here, but Lt Green was Trinidadian called Seymour who liked Calypso music.....

Thande

Donor
My mistake. I blame my inability to read accents and the fact that I haven't seen the series for several years.

I still protest the decision to replace him with a white woman in the CGI version...

My mistake. I blame my inability to read accents and the fact that I haven't seen the series for several years.

I still protest the decision to replace him with a white woman in the CGI version...

They didn't, they replaced him with an African American woman.

MrP

Banned

If it makes you feel better, I don't even remember him. Though my knowledge of the setup is restricted to old comics that were in the loft when I was little. I recall White, Black, Scarlet, and were there Angels 1, 2 & 3 flying some sort of space interceptors?

I think you must have been watching a different show. He's quite deffinately black and from the West Indies.

Or possibly watching in a different timeline. That would be a very subtle POD.

Discourages one young Black English boy from enlisting in the British Armed Forces years later, and inspires a British Asian boy instead? By 2002 he's ex-services and now the British Defence Minister?

by the way BBC had already tow version of Star Trek

HYPERDRIVE
hyperdrive_maincontent_left_upperbkgd.jpg

and that are the top crew left to right.

Diplomatic Officer Chloe Teal (very navie) , the Commander Michael Henderson (very stupid)
and First Officer York (A cold hearted, brutal psychopath.)

they command the HMS Camden Lock as they stumble through their heroic mission to protect British interests in a changing galaxy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/hyperdrive/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperdrive_(TV_series)

and in 1978
they had very nasty and morbit version of star trek
B7-Logo1.jpg

Blake's 7
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake_seven

Blakes 7 was part of the post Star Wars thing rather then Star Trek.
Its more the British Battlestar Galactica- except we did it right and it was like the new series rather then the old.

It needs a sequel.

Trekkies

Hard to see it.
Star Trek, like most mainstream US Sci Fi, was really putting the Wild West into outer space, the sense of pioneering, of strange enemies, defeated usually by superior technology and greater moral standing.

British Sci Fi is usually less technocratic, often very pessimistic, at least after the mid/late 50's when the UK's reduced position as a great power was much more appparent.

Hard to see it.
British Sci Fi is usually less technocratic, often very pessimistic, at least after the mid/late 50's when the UK's reduced position as a great power was much more appparent.

say that to Gerry Anderson see Thunderbird, over Technocratic and fun

British TV Sci Fi became very hillarius in 1980´s and 2000´s like
"Red dwarf" and "Hyperdrive" or Radio play "Neboulus"

to Blake's 7
is Critic point of view
some see it as BBC answer to Star Wars
others as Robin Hood on Sci-Fi

and makers make sure there is no sequel to it
by killing the characters in last episode

wat about this:
after NBC "NO" on ST Pilot one
Gene Rodenberry goes and show the Pilot to CBC
the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
they run BBC Dr Who (is a success since 1963.) know is Possibility and buy the serie Star Trek.
for the money CBC make Cooperation with BBC and ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

alot of CBC, BBC and ABC TV show and Serie are made like this.
with canadian, britsh, australian actors

so we have big chance for William Shatner as Kirk, James Doohan as Scott in this canadian version
but Spook with australia Accent ? :rolleyes:

how ever Star Trek episodes written by Terry Nation (he made the Dalek and Blake's 7) would be cool

and makers make sure there is no sequel to it
by killing the characters in last episode
Makes a modern sequel even more likely IMO. They can easily explain why they've gone and got a whole new cast.

Gerry

I always saw Gerry Anderson's stuff, despite where he came from, where it was made, as a more transatlantic thing.
In Thunderbirds the main (puppet) characters were American, (did his stuff do well in the States? If not, it wasn't for want of trying).
Uber low budget Blakes 7, as stated, a reaction to Star Wars.

I was thinking more of stuff like 'Survivors', film and TV versions of John Wyndham novels, 'Doomwatch', all the Nigel Kneale stuff-from Quatermass to one offs like the horribly predictive of trash like 'Big Brother', the 1968 TV play 'Year Of The Sex Olympics'.

I always saw Gerry Anderson's stuff, despite where he came from, where it was made, as a more transatlantic thing.
In Thunderbirds the main (puppet) characters were American, (did his stuff do well in the States? If not, it wasn't for want of trying).
Thunderbirds were a world wide success

I was thinking more of stuff like 'Survivors', film and TV versions of John Wyndham novels, 'Doomwatch', all the Nigel Kneale stuff-from Quatermass to one offs like the horribly predictive of trash like 'Big Brother', the 1968 TV play 'Year Of The Sex Olympics'.

Survivors is from Terry Nation (also wrote best episode of The Avengers, The Saint, Deparment S, Dr Who etc)
Doomwatch is from Gerry Davis and Kit Pedler, (they Invent the Cybermen in Dr Who)
the two wrote the skript to a Novel 'Mutant 59: The Plastic Eater'
John Wyndham Wrote ‘The Day of the Triffids‘

by the way BBC had already tow version of Star Trek

HYPERDRIVE
...they command the HMS Camden Lock as they stumble through their heroic mission to protect British interests in a changing galaxy.

A series simply commissioned by anti-SiFi elements in the BBC in an attempt to make SiFi so bad on the BBC that the Dr Who revival would fail.

There aren't any issues in Britain which it could use to inspire plotlines. It looks cool, there's lots of exploring of uncharted planets, and some fighting, but... it's just not as philosophically deep as it was OTL.

Actually race was an issue in 1960's Britain (and beyond) with non white immigrants arriving in large numbers and a backlash against them. There's also Imperial withdrawl, brushfire wars, youth counterculture and the cold war etc.

+ class as Leej mentioned.

The sets would have been very small (at least compared to those used in OTL Star Trek), it would have been shot in black and white on VT with exteriors and model shots filmed on 16mm B/W stock and there would only be about 13 episodes made per season.

It's the 1960's not the 1860's.

Yeah class had no bearing on British culture in the 1960s :rolleyes:. Watch Fawlty Towers, that was made in 1975/79 and its still very plain to see.

Though I doubt having working class characters would be ground breaking, they just probably wouldn't get any command positions :eek:.

Chekov is replaced by Kurtz, and the Klingons (or their ATL parrallels) are going to get a lot more Nazi-ish.

Maybe no Federation, just a lonley planet Earth fighting the evil alien empire? Ok kind of missing the point of Star Trek but does give me an idea for a space opera :D

Yeah class had no bearing on British culture in the 1960s :rolleyes:. Watch Fawlty Towers, that was made in 1975/79 and its still very plain to see.

Yes, because Fawlty Towers was a fly on the wall documentary on the British hospitality industry.

Though I doubt having working class characters would be ground breaking, they just probably wouldn't get any command positions :eek:.

Well even today someone in a command position wouldn't speak with a overt working class accent. That they speak Queen's English though (whether its a choice so to be understood, a product of living well or education, etc... is unknown) says nothing on their upbringing.