Retrospective US Presidential Election: 1789

Vote in 1789 Retrospective US Presidential Election!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I plan to run through every US presidential election, two per week. The 28 elections from 1789-1896 will be run simultaneously with the 28 elections from 1900-2008. Be sure to vote in each election!

For 1789-1800, I will include in the poll everyone who received at least 5% of the electoral vote. From 1804-2008, I will include everyone who received at least 0.05% of the popular vote. Results for each election will be posted on the dedicated Retrospective US Presidential Election Results Thread (here) and compared to the actual results. The thread for general project discussion is here.

Here's the link to the 1900 election.

Last edited:

Jasen777

Donor
John Jay could very well have been a good president, but it doesn't matter, the first president had to be Washington.

George Washington. It's a shame he doesn't have any children though, I'm not sure who will become King then after he dies...

Two small nits to pick - The election was held in November 1788 and the Federalist Party did not yet exist.

I know the election began in 1788, but it didn't end until 1789. Those guys are only called Federalist here because that's the "party" they were listed under in Wikipedia.

scholar

Banned
I think the only reason why people voted for someone other than George Washington was that his name was listed last on the poll.

Caspian

Banned
I did consider John Adams, due to his anti-slavery stance and that I don't believe he was a bad president historically, but I think he might have been too divisive at such a dangerous time for the country and thus went with Washington.

Well, its obvious someone is going to vote for someone else other than Washington. He is going to need a VP, but still, Washington is the man!

Laurentia

Banned
I meant to click John Jay, but I accidentally hit Washington. So subtract one from Washington and give it to Jay.