The Long Road - An Exploration TimeLine

I'd like to take this opportunity before I begin to thank Thande for his dedication to his Look to the West Timeline as it gave me the inspiration to undertake my own TL. Likewise, I want to bring attention to the author Jasper Fforde for writing his Thursday Next books - and my fiancée for having the mental capacity to keep up with them and tell me about them after I gave up reading them. Lastly I'd like to thank Sir Scott for giving me the final topic for the TL and the nudge to get going. So, without further ado...

The Long Road

image.html

“Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it.” – René Descartes, Le Discours de la Méthode, 1637

Written by Troyer IV

Prologue

Contained herein are the official transcripts of first-hand accounts of the members of ChronoGuard Mission FA7-42, field reports to the Universal Continuum Commission, indigenous records from the Paradigm in question, and the succeeding investigation.

UCC Associate Voyager Clemmons holojournal, transcript of records 25th February, 175 New Era [1]

Today is my fiancée’s birthday and I’m stuck here running down reports on this “Maxgrim” fellow. At least he’s an interesting enough subject. Apparently his last official in-situ assignment was to track records of the Ethiopian ‘Prester John,’ though by cross-checking some of the personnel logs from SO7 [2], it almost seems like Maxgrim – err, Subject 5443B-9J – may have planted those records for the Commission to investigate. But why? Oh well, doesn’t matter. I’m just an analyst and this is above my pay grade. Stevens is coming, gotta go!
//[*Stop Transcription*]

Attachment to Personnel Evaluation on Maxgrim Kolchak, Supervisor Dr. Severs to Charter Director Keys-Mason, 14th August, 171 New Era

This young gent is absolutely astounding! His grasp of Temporal Displacement is almost intuitive, thus his control exceeds that of even some of our most veteran Voyagers. With your permission, I’d like to bump him up to Commander Walkren’s stick for their upcoming trip. I know its too early to be putting one of these recruits into the field, but with all the potential he’s displayed thus far, I’d really like to see him in action. Walkren’s crew is the best we have, so they will be on hand – with special orders – to make sure nothing goes wrong. This boy could be what the Commission has been waiting for.
//[*Stop Transcription*]

Mission Log DE3-16, Commander Walkren reporting 6th January, 172 New Era

Dr. Severs was right, this kid is amazing. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say he had done this sort of thing before. Our Jump looked to take us over our mark, but he modified the trajectory and we landed right on target. Not bad, especially for a new kid in a pinch. Hell, not bad for a navigator with two or three years’ experience, bloody brilliant for some FNG [3]. I’d personally agree to an early promotion for this kid, I need a new G-man.
//[*Stop Transcription*]

Universal Continuum Commission Contact Report 87G-2R, September 27th, 174 New Era

Let it be recorded that throughout his training and field excursions, Maxgrim Kolchak displayed the finest performance required of a ChronoGuard Voyager. Both his Commander and Field Supervisor recommended his accelerated advancement, as well as a personal commendation by the Charter Director. Thus when he failed to return from the field, it was not immediately clear what had become of him. The Temporal Residuals of Mission FA7-42 indicated a disturbance over the African continent of that Paradigm [4], denoted by this particular mission number. The resultant pursuit then indicated that it was Maxgrim himself which had Jumped, effectively abandoning the crew and his mission. It was at this time that Commission was contacted by Commander Walkren and appraised of the situation. The best ChronoGuard in history has gone rogue.
//[*Stop Transcription*]

Mission Log FA7-42, Emergency Transmission, Commander Walkren reporting August 30th, 174 New Era

Silver Sword! I repeat, Silver Sword! We have a Senior Class Voyager AWOL! ChronoGuard Maxgrim Kolchak has disregarded protocol and Jumped to unknown coordinates. We are currently in pursuit.
//[*Stop Transcription*]

Mission Log FA7-43, Commander Walkren reporting 2nd September 174 New Era

Mission FA7-43 has overridden our previous objectives, direct orders from Charter Director Keys-Mason. This sort of thing has never happened before, but he’s on damage control. If we don’t bring something back – preferably Maxgrim himself – we’re all on the spit. Good news first, then, I suppose. We have tracked Maxgrim’s Jump to sometime in the 14th century over West Africa. We’re pulling all the data we currently have on what this particular spot should have in store for us, but within this Paradigm anything could be altered. Hmm, this will call for some rather unorthodox tactics, but I think don't anything short of a miracle is going to bring Maxgrim back to us. On his own, anyway.

Associate Voyager Griggs has indicated that so far there’s little out of ordinary for this Paradigm, so we shouldn’t be too far afield of what our records indicate. This place is Timbuktu of the Mali Empire, sometime around 1330 AD, but without local records we can’t narrow it further. Here’s what we know so far. Bullet-form, since the Director likes bullets:
Ø Ruled by Mansa Mussa, a.k.a. Kan Kan Mussa, nephew of one Abu Bakr II.
Ø Recently captured Timbuktu, possibly in the year 1325 as by our records.
Ø Recently completed a hajj to Mecca, possibly in the year 1324 as by our records, which may have ruined the Egyptian economy, thereby putting Mali on the map.
Ø Timbuktu has possibly as many as 180 Quranic schools, and three (3) universities: Sankore, Jingaray Ber, and Sidi Yahya. These schools are amongst the foremost of this age, outstripping many other Islamic intellectual centers, which outstrip most European intellectual centers.
Ø These Universities study weather and crops, geography, astronomy, mathematics, and cultural history, drawing from afar afield as Spain and the Levant.
Ø The Mali Empire is the center of all West African trade, including vast quantities of salt and gold, as well as other varied tradegoods.
Ø The terrain, particularly the flora, is typical of the Sahel and Sudanic vegetation, characterized by low moisture content, high potential for desertification.
Ø Mali falls to a Moroccan invasion in 1591. [5]
These are the basic facts of the situation, further in-situ investigation will be required before we can determine with any certainty the extent of our knowledge of this Paradigm. All potential sources of information will be considered; it may be necessary to expand our search if we are unable to unearth any clues here. We will, of course, debrief the Director as soon as convenient.
//[*Stop Transcription*]

Karem Ibn Battama, a personal letter, Timbuktu, c.1327 AD*P [6]

…These dogs! I came here thinking that I would be honored with titles and moneys for my teachings, yet at this Sidi Yahya University, here I have traveled across the desert to be insulted! I have been deemed sub-par by these mean [7] people and am now asked to return to Marrakech to, as they say, complete my education so I may be of sufficient intellect to sit in upon their lectures – as a student! I was not asked here to teach, but to be taught. This Mussa thinks highly of his negroid scholars; true they are adept, but more proficient? Laughable! [8] My dear Farede, I will be returning in some weeks’ time, once the Sanhaja are subdued… [Here follows more personal matters and travel arrangements of ill-import to the matter at hand.]

‘Yusef,’ journal entry, Timbuktu, c.1323 AD*P

The halls are abuzz with the news – the Mussa is going north on his hajj! We won’t be crossing the desert through Ghat, but north to the salt mines at Taghaza. I’ve heard we may even be going to Andalus, but I don’t see why we would – that’s across the waters that surround, isn’t it? Preparations are almost complete. There will be thousands of us to carry the name of the Mussa all the way to Mecca. I wasn’t to be allowed to go for at least another year, but something changed and now we are going. Allahu Akbar! [9]

Ricardo Noguiera, A History of the Mohammedan Dynasties of Spain, University of Toledo Press, c.1854 AD*P

The Castilians must have been terribly disappointed when the banners of Aragon failed to arrive on the field that day, as it certainly must have appeared that not only Aragon but God Himself had abandoned them [10]. According to contemporary historians, the Crusaders were present with some 40,000 men under arms, including various of the Knightly Orders, and there before them were arrayed nearly thrice their number of Moors [11]. One anonymous author notes the following account:
Then the Crusaders rose at midnight, the hour of Christ’s victory over death, hearing the masses and receiving the Sacrament of the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ, Our God. Thus were they fortified against the heathen and marched under the sign of the Cross, taking their weapons of war joyously and rushing to battle. [Further obviously biased details include the exultations of the commanding monarchs, their relatives, various nobles, friends, and vassals – and a particularly venomous comment of the ‘Lord-Abandoning’ Aragonese.] Once through the mountain passage, those lined amongst the first ranks discovered the Moors ready for battle, but determined to honor the Holy Father they attacked, fighting one against the other, hand-to-hand, with lances, swords, and battle-axes, there being no room for archers.

Some mutterance of the traitorous guide was carried back to where this God-Fearing man stood. When it was discovered that this wretch was a Jew, Alfonso hisself took the man’s head, assured that being of that race he must be in league against the Banners of Christ. Long the battle raged, neither side overcome, though pushing and being pushed alike. Then, as if the Calamity of Armageddon itself were upon us, wretched Christians threw down their arms and retreated, crying out “we are undone, overcome!” This cry of doom carried down until the power of our Lord Jesus Christ caused the very air to quake; Our Glorious and Noble King of Castile rode forward, carrying a wave upon the spears of the Moors…
This account is largely a work of propaganda and delusion, though it is more accurate than most account, giving credence to the belief that at least the author was an eye-witness to the events. What is known is that Alfonso VIII of Castile did rally the Crusaders, bringing them back from the brink of a rout. The accusations that the simple farmer was doing anything other than what the soldiers said – guiding them through Despeñaperros Pass at sword-point – is easily dismissed as a reasonable excuse for the lack of success in battle. (Although it may be pertinent to note that Alfonso was known for his mistreatment of Jews and Muslims alike, so it may have some basis in fact. [12])

The fact of the matter is simply this: the Andalusia Campaign was quite possibly the last chance for outright Christian dominance of Iberia before the advent of the 15th century [13].

Ismail ar-Mohmar, a personal letter, Qurtuba, c.1323

This Mussa of Mali is a strange wonder. Apparently he has camped the vast quantity of his followers on the African coast and made voyage to Granada to engage in some manner of business with the taifa [14] there. For such a simple trip, he brought several hundred of his servants and slaves, all laden with gold and precious goods – not for trade, but distribution as gifts. It caused some small uproar there, from what I understand, and no small amount of confusion. Apparently this was a tactical ploy – this Mansa Musa is on a mission, it seems. Ostensibly, this was a social call – a sidestep on his pilgrimage to Mecca [15] – to honor one of the defenders of Islam here on the peninsula, but there’s more to it than that. Despite the ruse, through my contacts I was able to determine the purpose of the trip. Mali is to commission the construction of several dozen ocean-going vessels. Apparently dissatisfied with the months-long round trip across the Sahara, Mansa wishes to expedite his trade. These borderland heathens must not have a true understanding of the ocean and sail.

Mission Log FA7-43, Commander Walkren reporting 11nd September 174 New Era

As notated, the world of this Paradigm is in many ways very similar to our own. The initial Divergence is not yet clear - that is, we immediately assumed it to be local, but upon closer inspection it would appear that wider influences have altered the Reconquista before our arrival - thus it does not seem to be the work of Maxgrim, but of the natural evolution of this Paradigm. Analysis will continue as we continue our search, but it seems Maxgrim has gone to ground. He is in this Paradigm, this is sure, as there has been no Residue to indicate his departure. What he is doing here, however is most unclear and more than a little disturbing. [16]
//[*Stop Transcription*]

//^|Hold Transcription_Hold Tape|

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
[1] 2628 Gregorian Calendar, New Era denotes the first Temporal Displacement (i.e. time travel) and contact with extraterrestrials

[2] Special Operations Network Department 7, beyond Top Secret

[3] Colloquial Acronym: F***ing New Guy; nothing technical

[4] TimeLine

[5] All OTL

[6] AD*P = Anno Domini *Paradigm timescale; to identify any potential divergences or irregularities from OTL

[7] In this context, 'mean' simply identifies with 'base' or 'simple' in terms of intellect and culture of the people mentioned.

[8] It was not an isolated incident for foreign scholars to be asked to conduct further studies abroad; Timbuktu was an impressive intellectual center with universities as celebrated and prestigious as Oxford. These drew scholars from as far afield as Spain and the Levant. This transcript is to illustrate this largely unknown fact.

[9] Use of the Takbir I felt was warranted; surely many of the servants and personnel for the hajj would have been themselves Muslim and I wished to illustrate this fact. Oh, and yeah, that’s the beginning of Mansa Musa’s famous hajj.

[10] It has not yet been revealed why… but the King of Aragon was otherwise convinced not to join with the Crusaders against the Moors, though please note that he did in OTL.

[11] This is a fairly accurate estimation by the author, but it is still an estimation. Without the Aragonese at battle, the Crusader numbers were less and it is not unlike the Moors to gather thousands of ill-equipped tribesmen from across the empire, nevermind keeping extremely accurate records of such troop bodies.

[12] Alfonso’s treatment of said peoples did cause some rather strong resentment amongst the other Crusaders, particularly the French and German knights.

[13] OTL the Christians would go on to dominate all of Iberia except the Emirate of Granada until 1492, though Granada was a Castilian vassal beginning in 1238 after a very different result from the aforementioned Battle of Las Navas de Talosa. For the purposes of this TimeLine, it will be referred to as the Battle of Despeñaperros Pass.

[14] Islamic Principality of Iberia

[15] Mansa Musa embarked on a pilgrimage to Mecca in 1324 OTL

[16] Just wanted to clarify that the PoDs began before the Voyagers arrived; they did not cause the alterations.

Last edited:
Chapter One: The Myth of Mansa Musa

Gerard Bastien Hilaire, A Concise History of the Empire of Mali, c.1923 AD*P

It is with some trepidation that I undertake to examine one of the most controversial figures of the High Middle Ages. Musa I of Mali, better known as Mansa Musa, contributed heavily to the course of commerce and learning in West Africa which would resonate in other intellectual centers of the world. What’s more impressive is his understanding of both Islamic diplomacy and African cultural traditions and how he was able to mesh the two, drawing the Empire together. This, at least nominal, unity in the short term allowed for his most ambitious endeavor.

Mansa Musa is generally accepted as the greatest advocate for trans-oceanic voyages before Henri the Voyager. Undoubtedly amongst the richest men of his day, the Mansa had the means, the education for understanding, and the ability to garner the expertise needed for such a venture. What he arguably lacked was the inspiration.

It has been suggested that Musa I followed in the footsteps of his ancestor Abu Bakr II [1], whom records indicate commissioned a fleet and attempted to cross the ocean, never to return. Still others, generally the more Islamophile observers, attempt to give credit to the Divine due to Musa’s noteworthy stay in Mecca. This is relatively easily refuted, as Musa commissioned the ships on his way to Mecca, not on his way from. Though, this may only explain the original purpose for the vessels.

Whatever the source of inspiration, Musa would go on to lead Mali across the ocean, kickstarting the Age of Exploration from a hitherto virtually unknown corner of the planet. Had this expedition fallen to the same fate as Abu Bakr, the New World may well have gone unnoticed for another century.

Franz Mueller, The Hamburg Courier, 7th February, 1887 AD*P

As we’ve seen time and time again throughout history, the sudden introduction of easily accessible funds en masse can and likely will mire the local economy – sometimes for rather long periods. Take, as such anecdotal incidents, the French Conquest of the Mexica, or – more related to our own troubles – the inundation of gold in Morocco during the reign of the Musa of Mali [2]. These examples are far more troubling than our current financial predicament, however the…principle still stands…

Geoffrey Argande, International Geographic Magazine, vol. 47, September, 1912 AD*P

A source of interest to me on my travels for this publication has long been the local quisine. I find that most think the more ‘exotic’ the location, the more ‘luxurious’ the food, particularly when speaking of places of wealth, status, and royalty. This isn’t so much the case in West Africa, as I found in Timbuktu of Mali. Once the crossroads of a great and affluent nation, Timbuktu displays some very visible reminders of those days of splendor. Particularly impressive is the architectural work of Abu Haq Saheli, who accompanied the great Mansa Musa from Egypt.

This treat to the eye, however, is nothing when compared to the olfactory delight as I pass through the city’s lower quarter. It is not impossible to find haram [3] in this Islamic community, but one might not wish to partake publicly – even an obvious outsider who isn’t Muslim. It is not quite the same as visiting the local market, due to the relative remoteness here, but one can still find some foreign delicacies – cinnamon, coconuts, grapes, honey, pomegranates, and so forth. However, this isn’t why I’m so thrilled to be in Timbuktu. Typically, West African ‘feasts’ aren’t so much about the level of ‘exotic-ness’ of the food, but in the amount presented. Here, a feast of honor is all about “more of the same” where great mounds of food are prepared for all to enjoy.

This isn’t to say that any quality of food is presented – indeed, any Tuo when cooked well can be served with great flourish – but one may not notice the subtle differences unless raised on the stuff. Last week I was in Gao for Ramadan and I found a small shop where, for a mere half mithqual, I was overstuffed with bread, beef fried in gharti, and a gourd-full of yoghurt. This great helping wasn’t the entire experience, you see, for I was lucky to be there at Ramadan and it is in the experience of a dignified communal eating that true luxury is appreciated in this modest place. It would be at just such communal events that not only weather, crops, and gossip may occur, but plans for the future, such as war, commerce and even the discovery of the New World.

Hasim Mus’ad Habib Harun, History of the Mossi Wars, c.1513 AD*P

It is clear to most historians that the Mossi Kingdom of Yatenga was in a threatening posture to Mali from before Musa I’s ascension, having good access into Mali’s heartland. Why the Mossi were allowed to prosper is a matter of some debate – likely this was due to Mansa Musa’s attention to European proceedings and his interest across the Atlantic. Nevertheless, in 1333 the Yatenga invaded the unsuspecting Mali Empire. Utilizing their powerful cavalry, the Yatenga raided deep into Mali territory, causing much destruction. Avoiding major battles, the Yatenga were able to pull off impressive victories and humiliate the ‘Discoverers.’

When it became clear that these raids were not minor incursions by Tauregs or some displaced peoples, Musa called upon the Sankar-Zouma [4] to dispatch them. After a cat-and-mouse game, a sizeable confrontation occurred near Djenné. Some 40,000 Mali faced off against 15,000 Yatenga, the latter comprised almost entirely of cavalry, excepting some local levies. The Mali force was divided in two sections, each wing with only two or three thousand cavalry. This great discrepancy in cavalry immediately put the Mali off balance as they themselves were reliant upon initial cavalry charges to break enemy formations.

As a rule, the Mali Empire employed 100,000 troops, of fair quality and effective training, of which 10,000 were farari, or cavalry – as close as Mali could produce to our mamelukes or ghulam, or the Christian knights. Their infantry force of slaves and freemen, led by farimba and farima, respectively, armed themselves with a variety of blades and spears, as well as bows. Indeed, these bows were in great supply, along with plentiful poison arrows and poisoned javelins. The Mossi were armed in like fashion, though with greater numbers of foreign lances and swords, as these weapons were preferred choice amongst cavalry.

The battlelines closed in; the Mali drove forward under cover of myriad projectiles as the Mossi foot skirmished against many times their number. Meanwhile, the Mossi cavalry struck hard against the farari, dispersing them absolutely on the field’s left, but being stymied by accurate missiles on the right. In the fore the Mossi foot withdrew, drawing the Mali forward overstretched. Into this did the Mossi thrust, pushing deep into the Mali lines – indeed, threatening to break through and disperse the whole force.

Upon this scene of carnage did a peculiar banner appear on the field to the Mossi rear. The Mali feared enemy reinforcements and were near upon cracking when, suddenly, a cry went up – this was the banner of the Lion of Mali, Mansa Musa! Only by utilizing the river clans could his force have arrived so timely, which was less aid in arms as it was in morale; renewed and reinvigorated, the Mali held firm and pressed the lines, allowing time for the Mansa to drive the enemy from the field.

Sisaw Bakari Konteh, journal entry, Niami, c.1328 AD*P [5]

Word has arrived from the coast: the ships have arrived. Over the next few weeks, our preparations will see the needed provisions ready for the voyage. When last I saw them, these great ships were still little more than timbers. The Cordobans and Moors who will crew the sails with us are reasonable people, if somewhat disdainful of our cultural traditions – this is expected, of course, from those with such strangled minds.

A dozen of these sailships will begin the voyage to the northwest while another nine will set off towards the southerly route. The astronomy tables provided by the Jingaray Ber will be of some use, but I fear that – if their calculations are correct – we may find alien arrangements and become disorientated. Nevertheless, so long as we do not come upon the so-called ‘river in the ocean’ from Abubakiri’s expedition, our ancestors will guide the way.

We sail in three weeks’ time.

Captain Khaleel Maram Asad, Ship’s Log, c.1328 AD*P

With great pomp and… blasphemous ceremony did our ships debark, the Mansa presiding over the event. This turns my stomach, but as the ranking Mali – this Sisaw Konteh – explains, it is a tenuous balance of politics between Muslim and African there. Though some Africans are Muslim, many still practice odd, and irregular worship rituals. How this binds the people together, as Islam does, I do not know. However, the relative independence of the tribes is not unlike the privileges of the taifas to the Almohads. This may be why such an assortment of peoples now inhabits my ships. True they belong to the Mansa, but here I command.

Our fleet is smaller than the Mansa originally desired, but after seeing the size and quality of the vessels his people use, I now understand. Our baghlahs and dhows can do more than any number of those flimsy ships, and in quicker time with less crewmen. Thinking on which, I do not like the prospect of dividing our ships once we reach… what comes. There is some debate where we may arrive, as some question the tables and arithmetic we’ve been given. That’s another thing – while I am bound to honor his wishes in nearly all things, I could not – would not – sail until each ship had a copy of this information. The delay… yes, it may throw off our projections, but it was a necessary sacrifice.

These Mali truly do not understand the sail and sea; there’s far more to it than going into the waters on a scrap of floating wood with an armful of supplies. There’s the lunar mansions [6], the rhumbs of the kemal [7], variation of the altitude of the Pole Star, measurements for latitude by observing stellar altitude – they didn’t even know do to such at night! – the winds, the Sun, the color of the water, the birds, and above all, how Captain and Crew simply fit! I am a Qurtuba man, and now I’m saddled with Moors, Africans, three Leonese, and even a Berber!

Hopefully our voyage will be relatively uneventful, after all… how hard it is to follow dirat al-matlaq? [8] That is, if the calculations are correct.

Kasi Toma Dembo, a personal letter, Niami, c.1329 AD*P

I must say, I have never seen the Mansa in such a confused state of glee and rage. As Court Scribe, I am rather privy to all manner of commotion and exhibitions – such is the way of politics. The news which arrived today, however, was something most intriguing. It would appear that the fleet has returned – or rather, that a portion has returned. Of the near two dozen commissioned ships, only seven have returned, and less than one in ten of our outfitted river-boats and fishing vessels arrived intact.

When the Mansa heard this news, he grew angry and demanded to know what had become of the ships. The captain, a Qurtuban named Asad, said that he did as was ordered and split the ships evenly once they made landfall. When he returned from his allotted time on his own route, the other ships failed to return. He says he waited for last turn of the moon before sailing for home. This bad news seemed to slide off the Mansa, however, as he realized what the captain had said; they had made landfall. But… where?! At this the Mansa called together the Gbara [9] and cleared the court. Even I was not allowed to remain and notate the proceedings.

I presume that I will be informed tomorrow upon my return.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
[1] Some records tend to indicate that Abu Bakr was alternately Mansa Musa’s uncle and his grandfather. Is generally accepted that there is truth in his own personal narrative to the Sultan in Egypt, wherein Musa came to power because his predecessor (Abu Bakr) left across the oceans and never returned. Some sources also argue that Abu Bakr never held the throne, so whatever line of succession was used in Mali at this time, it would appear that either Mansa Musa was direct in line via Abu Bakr (and potentially his son, who has no real mention in Mali history) or Abu Bakr’s line ended abruptly, leaving his relative Musa to ascend the throne.

[2] On the subject of Mansa Musa, records of TTL are both clearer and more numerous than OTL. This is largely a personal preference to make the transition of understanding easier for the sake of the story. However, I am firmly of the belief that the butterflies from Musa’s successful voyages would cause greater international diplomatic and academic attention.

[3] According to Islamic dietary laws, ‘haram’ is that which is prohibited or unclean, such as alcohol, pork, dog, carrion, and the milk of those animals whose flesh is unclean. The laws also refer to ‘halal’ which is lawful and good, and ‘makruh’ which isn’t forbidden like ‘haram,’ but is reprehensible.

[4] Mali was divided into a Northern Command, and a Southern Command – the Sankar-Zouma was the general of the Southern Command.

[5] Niami is the capital of the Mali Empire, located somewhere in modern-day Guinea.

[6] The stations of the Moon used to determine time and date.

[7] A compass-like device for determining Latitude, used since the 7th century.

[8] “Set Courses,” which rely on fixed bearings, as opposed to dirat al-iqtida’ (“Conclusive Courses” – from known place to another) and dirat al-mul (“Mainland Routes” – in sight of the coast).

[9] The Mali deliberative body, similar to a congress or parliament, where each tribe of the empire had a representative at the Mansa’s court.

Last edited:
Hmm, I halfway thought a West African discovery of America, nevermind an altered Reconquista, would have more interest than this.

Any comments, questions, complaints?

I hope there's more interest once the New World gets going, as well as the soon-to-be hectic European affairs...

Not hanging around the Pre-1900 section much, is this particular time period just boring to most, or perhaps was it the introduction via science-fiction-esque material?

Just looking for any and all feedback, really.

So French Mexico, Mali... probably Brazil (or at least portions of it), and Islamic Iberia? Excellent, excellent stuff! Really great update.

So French Mexico, Mali... probably Brazil (or at least portions of it), and Islamic Iberia? Excellent, excellent stuff! Really great update.

Well, Iberia isn't Islamic-dominated. Indeed, the Battle of Despeñaperros Pass (OTL Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa) did not heavily alter the political landscape in Iberia. That is, other than some minor border changes and some various concessions and such, things remained largely the same. Intermitten warfare continues between the taifa vassals of the Almohads (whom are still in power, though shaky at best) and the Christian Kingdoms of northern Iberia. Indeed, things have not remained as it was in 1212.

I'm surprised no one cared to speculate on why Aragon wasn't on the field, but no matter; that will be discussed later.

I feel a little guilty since this battle was the main PoD, but there were a few small and scattered PoDs nearby which may border on the ASB. I feel I simply tweaked a few things - made someone make a slightly different decision, or maybe sped up someone's death (because healthcare was horrid) thus allowing for someone else with a different mindset to step in, etc. Nothing drastic, but they are there, to be sure.

Here's the bit I'm struggling with right now. Please, dear Readers, help me out. I should I write the next section on:

1) Relevant European Affairs since the battle in Iberia back in 1212,

or

2) Mali Efforts in the New World in the relative "present" of 1330s?

Hi. The user formerly known as Brad Matthews here. I think you should cover Europe- it will be interesting to see the massive butterflies smash through Europe, and Malinese colonization, despite being interesting, will not be as dynamic as Medieval Europe.

Great TL, by the way.

Well, Iberia isn't Islamic-dominated. Indeed, the Battle of Despeñaperros Pass (OTL Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa) did not heavily alter the political landscape in Iberia. That is, other than some minor border changes and some various concessions and such, things remained largely the same. Intermitten warfare continues between the taifa vassals of the Almohads (whom are still in power, though shaky at best) and the Christian Kingdoms of northern Iberia. Indeed, things have not remained as it was in 1212.

I'm surprised no one cared to speculate on why Aragon wasn't on the field, but no matter; that will be discussed later.

I feel a little guilty since this battle was the main PoD, but there were a few small and scattered PoDs nearby which may border on the ASB. I feel I simply tweaked a few things - made someone make a slightly different decision, or maybe sped up someone's death (because healthcare was horrid) thus allowing for someone else with a different mindset to step in, etc. Nothing drastic, but they are there, to be sure.

Here's the bit I'm struggling with right now. Please, dear Readers, help me out. I should I write the next section on:

or

Well, I meant in the future... maybe I took the 'full Christian dominance' thing completely the wrong way then, even later? My apologies.

I'd say write about Europe, as it'll be more relevant to the overall timeline(like BHA said), I'd think... though I've always wanted to see a Mali colonization timeline done.

To be truthful, I'm going to have to do some hefty research for this one, so it will likely be a few days. In fact, I hope to have a chapter up every week, but this isn't set in stone. I do have my degree to battle for, as well as this silly marriage thing to get underway. But yay, more comments!

I'm hesitant to begin the colonization piece just yet anyway, because I haven't... totally decided where the Malinke will land. I'll have to consult my oracles.

Well then, that settles it - up comes the Life and Times of Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor.

Mali as a major power? The age of exploratoon starting a century and a half earlier? Interresting. Keep it up.

Mali as a major power? The age of exploratoon starting a century and a half earlier? Interresting. Keep it up.

I haven't changed much of anything about Mali from OTL. The only thing of note I've altered is Musa's hajj course and purchasing a few ships. The Mossi invasion was accelerated a few years, and will see a more decisive conclusion, but that's it. Mali was a power OTL, just not on the world stage really.

or

I'd prefer the relevant European affairs, just because I like to read my TLs in a nice chronological order. But up to you.