Future World Languages

I'm writing about a 23rd-century future. In this future, most of the major languages today exist, but there are some attempts to make several regional "standardized" tongues. Here's my meger attempt to start on them:

World Mandarin
Standard English (many Spanish words included)
Hindi
Arabic
EuroEsperanto
Russian
Japanese/Korean?
Swahili/Hausa

Suggestions?

There may be two European languages... One based around a Latin base for places like Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, and a Germanic European Language...

Blade Runner had a pidgin language (Street Lingo) developing from the amalgamation of all the different ethnic groups living together.

What's your 23rd century look like--dystopia or utopian?

It's meant to be decidedly neither. Kind of like GURPS: Transhuman Space, except without the advanced technologies (no transhumanism, no super-nanotech). World politics is remarkably like OTL's, though Earth is on a decline compared to its outer colonies.

It's actually meant to follow a fanfiction I once read about Asteroids on Fanfiction.net. Anyone interested?

Imajin said:
There may be two European languages... One based around a Latin base for places like Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, and a Germanic European Language...
Hmm? What about Slavics?

Wendell said:
You could have Esparanto emerge as a "National" language for all of (Continental) Europe.

That's what I was going for.

World English is American English mixed in with a lot of regional terms (British, Irish, South African, Singaporean, ghetto-speak, etc.), and a lot of Spanish vocabulary.

Strategos' Risk said:
That's what I was going for.

World English is American English mixed in with a lot of regional terms (British, Irish, South African, Singaporean, ghetto-speak, etc.), and a lot of Spanish vocabulary.
Knowing what your national borders look like might be helpful too.

There's not really much of a change. The EU is more cohesive, but there also might be more ethnic enclaves becoming countries (Catalonia, Scotland, etc.). I haven't decided yet. I'm trying to go for a future that's not much changed from nowadays, other than resolving the Islamic fundamentalism thing and getting the world ready for space colonization.

The world languages thing is just meant to determine standards. Since there can't be just one standard, I'm doing this along regional lines.

Let me simplify things. Just imagine the world of today. Think of the most-spoken and most important languages in international relations and commerce. Then think of major secondary and tertiary languages. Start consolidatin'

Strategos' Risk said:
There's not really much of a change. The EU is more cohesive, but there also might be more ethnic enclaves becoming countries (Catalonia, Scotland, etc.). I haven't decided yet. I'm trying to go for a future that's not much changed from nowadays, other than resolving the Islamic fundamentalism thing and getting the world ready for space colonization.

The world languages thing is just meant to determine standards. Since there can't be just one standard, I'm doing this along regional lines.

Let me simplify things. Just imagine the world of today. Think of the most-spoken and most important languages in international relations and commerce. Then think of major secondary and tertiary languages. Start consolidatin'
Is Russia bigger or smaller than OTL? What becomes of Ukraine, Belarus, the Balkans, Norway and Turkey? Do Ireland and Britain stay in the E.U.?

Okay, forget all that. Never mind about the future. Think about the present.

But, to be responsive:

1. Could be slightly smaller.

2. All in EU except for Ukraine.

3. All in EU, British and Scandinavians and other Eurosceptic nations have subtle rules to make them less than core members.

Most linguistic scholars are in agreement that by 2100 the English langauge (prodominatly American) will in no way be recognizable to a person from our current time. There are two main schools of thought, but first a small lesson concerning english.

While most lanaguges contain 100,000 words, english has no less then 300,000 words. This is because of how adaptable the english lanague is, being a mixture of Germanic, Celtic, and Latin.

English, while constantly evolving, does maintain certain lingustic characteristics. One is that over time English has sped up. In 1200 it was almost rythmic DA---DUM----DA---DUM. Elizabethain times had more along the lines of DA--DUM--DA--DUM. Today, while some distincive subdialects, like the black english vanacular, and Spainglish are at a pace completely diffrent, it is DA-DUM-DA-DUM.

Some speculate that the speed a which English is spoken will be even faster, and resemble almost 1984's new speak, but langauge will shrink due to convienance and not dumbing down the populace. And littered with slang.

Example: Billy, and I will go to the store tommorrow. We will get milk, cheese, and bread.

Men'billywillgotadastoreangetsmilkcheeseanbread.

Another school of thought is that english will simply become slang, and anyother langaue close to its development (IE Spainish). So while maintianing the spacing with a slight change, the 300,000 + words would drop, and be replaced by more broad terms. Good,great,super,excellent,gravy= a single slang word.

And if this sounds like totalt crap send me a message and I'll explain it fuller.

Strategos' Risk said:
Okay, forget all that. Never mind about the future. Think about the present.

But, to be responsive:

1. Could be slightly smaller.

2. All in EU except for Ukraine.

3. All in EU, British and Scandinavians and other Eurosceptic nations have subtle rules to make them less than core members.
Why would Belarus be in the EU and not Ukraine?

Okay, just scratch all of the big former-USSR nations. They seem to be too big. And scary. Of course, like Russia, they may be close economic partners with the EU.

And it does sound like totalt crap. But not because of your explanation, Fenwick. I hates the future now. The talk funny.

But another thing: isn't the existence of perfect records of the human voice, as well as the current state of telecommunications and all that going to change how quickly languages change?

Strategos' Risk said:
But another thing: isn't the existence of perfect records of the human voice, as well as the current state of telecommunications and all that going to change how quickly languages change?
I certainly think so, yes. You are assuming that the future isn't bleak though.

So, American English will become a Lingua Franca. You will probably have different types of English, like Corps Speak, Street Speak, Mil Speak, and such. We might also go the the route of that race in Star Trek that spoke with historic and myth alusions. (Ex. Doing a Romeo & Juliet, or pulling a Julius Caesar.)

Strategos' Risk said:
Okay, just scratch all of the big former-USSR nations. They seem to be too big. And scary. Of course, like Russia, they may be close economic partners with the EU.

And it does sound like totalt crap. But not because of your explanation, Fenwick. I hates the future now. The talk funny.

Makes you wonder what people in the 1800's thought we'd talk like.

Well we have perfect recordings of the 1920's and 1930's but we do not talk they they do. I think change is just natural to us, the slang our parents use seems weird, and what my kids use seems wrong. Some scholars point to english always striving to express new ideas and opinions. And once these ideas are acuratly expressed older thoughts are dashed away to ones passive vocabulary, while the new word is used in the active vocabulary.

Yes, but I'd think the comprehension gap of 2300 English compared to 2005 English won't be as wide as between 2005 and 1700 English.

That's rather consoling, considering that 1700 English isn't so much as incomprehensible as it simply sounds incredibly formal and archaic.

I'm still trying to focus on what major languages would exist. I am unconvinced that only Esperanto and/or English would be used in great amounts, as in numerous sci-fi stories.