Franco-Soldaria

July 4th, 1776
American Independence Declared​

October 18th, 1781
Cornwallis Surrenders​

[September 17th, 1783
Treaty of Paris signifies the beginning of the United States of America] OTL(doesn't happen in this otl, used for reference)​

August 3rd, 1782
the negations to create a peaceful government cease. News is sent to General Clinton to prepare and retake the Northern and to cut off the Western Territories from the colonists. News reaches in December with the US and French forces catching whiff of their plan. Come spring the attacks from Canada and the still occupied New York would start up again.​

May 15th, 1784
Quebec is captured by US and French troops​

September 6th, 1785
Treaty of Paris is signed. Similar to the OTL treaty, however it splits Canada between France and the United States. The split of Canada would take along the lines of OTL Upper and Lower Canada. Upper Canada becomes the 14th state with Lower Canada being a territory of France.​
July 14th, 1789
Bastille Day occurs​

June 21st, 1790
King Louis XVI flees to Canada​

Just a teaser to what I am writing now, more detail will be added. Canada becomes a Kingdom under Loius XVI and France a Republic under shifting set of politicians. The rammifications of theese events is what I'd like to see discussed while I go about my own route of finishing this up.

Ok I have some questions to the folks on this board. IF Canada does not include Canada proper, but includes the martime providences, as well as the upper portions of Quebec and Ontario what would it be called?

If the Gioredes and the Moderates gain control of Revolutionary France in the middle of the extremely leftwinged Robespierre what is going to happen? What effects would it have if women gained sufferage in the Franco-Republic? Would the US gain Loiusanne if not for Napoleon?

Well, surely King Louis's "Canada" does not include the British Maritime and Newfoundland? Will Salic Law apply to this kingdom?

I see Louisiana staying Spanish if there is no Napoleon...and gaining independence as the Louisianan Republic, from Spain

It only incudes the part found around the vally of the St. Lawerance river.. It does not include the tradtional martime providences of New Brunswich (called British Canada in this TL) Nova Scotia, Prince Edwards Island, or that other one I can't think of.. nor does it include the prestige of overseas colonies at this moment in time...at least not for a while. All laws would be reconstuted to be similuar as other French territories, but the sucession and inhiertance laws of the throne of France would tend to remain the same. The Kingdom of Canada would become a safe-haven for moderates, counter-revolutionaries, constutional monarchist, Catholic preists, anti-relutionaries, and most of Royalists during the Red Terror.

The division of Canada among the Americans and the French seems like an ideal situation for the Americans... they get a good sized addition to their frontiers, without the hassle of Frenchmen in the rest of Canada...

What happens to the lands of the Hudson Bay Company, which extended from Northern Quebec, Northern Ontario, Western Canada, included the British claim in Oregon as well as the far north, though was severely underpopulated by settlers...
As for the Maritime Union, I have to admit I have no idea. My first thought was Acadia, but that was the French name, and so is unlikely... If the British are feeling mythical, maybe Atlantis? They could do what they did with Canada and extend one name over the whole region, perhaps Newfoundland or Nova Scotia... Or, seeing with New Scotland (Nova Scotia), and Newfoundland being seen as a loyal New England, call it New Britain?

I would place it upon a map but I can't at this compie. Therefore imagine the current areas of Quebec and Ontario cut in half, the North going to the British and the south being split by the Americans and French. The lands of the Hudson Bay company remain British, as does everything West of the great lakes.

As for the Martime Union I was thinking about Labrador as the name for the region but remain unsure as to what it will be called.

Canada becomes a Kingdom under Loius XVI and France a Republic under shifting set of politicians. The rammifications of theese events is what I'd like to see discussed while I go about my own route of finishing this up.[/QUOTE]

Well, I hope Louis XVI enjoys his kingdom of snow, fur pelts, and forests. New France was considered a failure because of the very low rate of colonists (Hugenots were forbidden to enter New France), and because the men who lived in New France wanted to spend all their time in the forests, catching animals and visiting the natives. City life and colonial militia did not appeal to them, which is why the British were able to so handily conquer it. Also, I don't believe anyone in France viewed it as worth the time, money, and effort it took to administer it. However, it could become a destination for all the emigres who fled the Revolution in France. That might help to build up Quebec City, Montreal, and Trois Riviers, and lay foundations for the other settlements. What happens to the Eastern Townships (Anglophone settlements in Quebec?)

Othniel said:
You mean the area above Maine correct?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Townships
So apparently more near New Hampshire and Vermont.. However,
Shortly after the American Revolution, United Empire Loyalists who fled the revolution in order to stay loyal to the British, settled in the Eastern Townships. The peak of this migration occurred between 1783 and 1784.
The Empire Loyalists probably won't go here if it's returned to France...

Yes, if it returned to France most likely not. When I gave Quebec back to France I was going along the lines of restoring their North American Empire. They probably would want some if it back and if they have to start with the most painful to govener to stay on the Americans side they most likely would. Note France would most likely LOVE to get their hands back on the territory ceded to Britian and later to the USA after the 7 years war.

So no doubts on this being implausible? There is a second POD concerning Robesperrie but I'm waiting till I can finsh a comprehensive reasearch on the French Revolution to post the bit of my tl. ;)

What would Canada look like if the French-speaking portions revolted along with the Anglo colonists at the start of the independence movement?

There's a HUGE butterfly in the PoD. With the treaty of Paris delayed by 2 years, India is french, as Suffren's campaign is taken to a conclusion. ( In OTL, he had finally trashed the RN in the seas around India, rounded indian allies and was beginning a land campaign - sucessfully - when news arrived that the treaty of Paris had been signed 6 month before and that he was to leave everything to the british ). This potentially changes the french revolution ( more opportunities, more money ... etc ). Certainly, the french king is more likely to flee there than to Canada.

fhaessig said:
There's a HUGE butterfly in the PoD. With the treaty of Paris delayed by 2 years, India is french, as Suffren's campaign is taken to a conclusion. ( In OTL, he had finally trashed the RN in the seas around India, rounded indian allies and was beginning a land campaign - sucessfully - when news arrived that the treaty of Paris had been signed 6 month before and that he was to leave everything to the british ). This potentially changes the french revolution ( more opportunities, more money ... etc ). Certainly, the french king is more likely to flee there than to Canada.
Not nesscarly. India was under firm British control when this happend. It is not wholely French when this happens, and is not nesscarly retaken.

Othniel said:
Not nesscarly. India was under firm British control when this happend. It is not wholely French when this happens, and is not nesscarly retaken.

By Suffren?

What can stop him?

Monsoon. ;)

EDIT: It's a reasonable assumetion. If you don't want someone messing up your TL you can always us a natural cause to kill them off. Besides, news doesn't even have to reach France about that if it did happen. I don't see how you can dislodge the British army at this time. However getting the to reconize a native kingdom is anouther matter.... :cool:

Last edited:
Faeelin said:
Aren't you overrating his success? He never really threatened Bengal, for instance.

You mean he hasn't yet threatened Bengal when he was stopped by the treaty of Paris. The only thing which could stop it ( and did for most of the war ) was the RN. At the end of OTL war, Suffren had removed it from the indian seas and was in the process of conquering british holdings, along with indian allies. If he gets a couple more years, all britisqh holdings in india will be in either french or indian hands. Then thre *treaty of Paris will confirm this.