Most dangerous Nazi leadership

What would be the most dangerous leadership that Nazi Germany could have acquired had Hitler died shortly after the declaration of War on the USA.

I am thinking that the most dangerous combination would be Goebles as front man and Speer pulling the actual strings.

If Hitler was not involved..i'm thinking Dr. Josef Mengele, acting beneath Himmler. Both horrible men who could have done much to destory humanity.

Possibly worse would be a cessation of hostilities when the military takes over and gives up some Nazis as sacrificial lambs to the Allies. They bide their time as total surrender does not have to be an option yet, and begin to build an even more powerful state with all the little toys they rushed for in wartime. Just enough war to whet the appetite a little, not enough to satiate. The German war machine gears up this time with Generals and not the little corporal calling all the shots...

Would the German nation be able to keep any gains at this point, say 1942?

Reinhard Heydrich, definitely. Heydrich was the only reason for Himmler to survive inner-party intrigues, he was his right hand.

415px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1969-054-16%2C_Reinhard_Heydrich.jpg

Reinhard Tristan Eugen Heydrich

SS-Obergruppenführer und General der Polizei, chief of the Reich Security Main Office
(including the Gestapo, SD and Kripo Nazi police agencies)

Number two of SS

Adolf Hitler considered him a possible successor.

Planned the crushing the SA aka Röhm Putch
He transform Germany into a efficient police state.
Mastermind of the Holocaust

he had two nicknames at SS
HHHH – Himmlers Hirn heißt Heydrich = Himmlers Brain is Heyrich
Eiskalte Bestie = Cooled blooded Beast
last one used by his co-worker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinhard_Heydrich

The guy is just plain creepy...

I think you have to exclude all the genocidal whackjobs as they did everything they could to alienate ( and terminate ) the slavic population who might have been sympathetic to their cause. The most dangerous naziregime is not the most brutal but the one with the most support among the population all over the reich.

wormyguy

Banned
The most dangerous naziregime is not the most brutal but the one with the most support among the population all over the reich.
The most dangerous regime is the one which combines competence and genocidal tendencies in the manner that will result in the greatest amount of deaths.

hammo1j

Donor
The post declaration of war on Usa POD is tricky because any one in charge of Nazis will lose.

Would suggest for Luftwaffe

Milch: Production
Galland: Commander

Xen

Banned
The guy is just plain creepy...

I think you have to exclude all the genocidal whackjobs as they did everything they could to alienate ( and terminate ) the slavic population who might have been sympathetic to their cause. The most dangerous naziregime is not the most brutal but the one with the most support among the population all over the reich.

I agree, I started a timeline about Goring becoming Fuhrer shortly after the German invasion of Russia. Goring was a Wilhelmine imperialist, meaning he wanted to restore Germany to its pre-1914 borders, including the oversea's Empire. In my timeline, I had him restoring the Russian Tsar, which helped him defeat the Soviet regime. I had it planned the US/UK were fought to a stalemate, where the western allies managed to liberate Norway, Spain and Portugal. The rest of Europe was a Nazi satellite, and a US-German Cold War ensued, but I never really finished it.

I would think Heydrich would indeed be the most feared successor to Hitler for if he managed to consolidate power might have realized the only way for Germany to survive intact would be to seek an armistice with the Russians.

Heydrich has to be the Fuhrer. The most frightening thing about Heydrich is he knew how to delegate, he wouldn't have tried to micro-manage military operations, instead he would have chosen competent commanders (he has a wide choice) trust them and maintain internal security though a delicate mix of carrot and stick, look at his "achievements" in Bohemia/Moravia.