Hilter's Sealion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ming777

Monthly Donor
As we all know, sealion's chances of success was nil. However, what if a certain fool decides to go anyways.

Yes, what if Hitler decides to proceed despite the otl results of the battle of Britain?

Large chunks of the German military find a new home on the bottom of the channel. If severe enough, it might cause the Generals of the Heer to dig up their coup plans again and possibly execute them; a blunder of this magnitude should be more than enough to offset the political capital Hitler earned after the fall of France.
Most likely no Barbarossa, and depending if their is or isn't a coup, perhaps earnest peace talks with Britain/France

- Kelenas

It would depend how quickly the invasion was defeated... If I was in charge of the British army, I wouldn't push them into the drink right away, I'd let them pour more men in so I could capture more after the RN cuts their supply lines.

Best case for the Germans (whilst still being defeated) the first wave (maybe abour 3-4 regiments) is utterly destroyed along with their "assault" shipping and they cancel the whole enterprise

Worst case, they land 8-10 divisions, suffer heavy casualties en route, AND have those that land run out of food fuel and ammo and be compelled to surrender

All in all it would mean nothing. 8 divisions is a flea bite on the German army... it might actually make things worse for the British in the long run; Hitler could get some serious revenge desires going which could include but not be limited to closing Gibraltar (without Spain's approval) or committing serious resources to the med to capture egypt)... or he might suck it up and move on as otl...Barbarossa wouldn't have to be delayed in any serious way since Garrison divisions in Norway, France and the Low countries could be combed out (as was done later) to fill in any necessary manpower vaccumes

The British may or may not be inclined to send more troops to the med... it depends on if there is a fear of renewed invasion keeping aircraft, troops and ships in place

There are several questions on my mind regarding a sealion:

• Will the UK Choose to deploy chemical weapons, as Churchill had threatened to do?
  • Will the USA, under massive concern that the UK might be on its way down, join the fighting? With France out of the war and the appearance of a knockout blow against the UK in hand, it would appear to be "Now or Never" for the aid Britain camp.
  • Will other nations, like Japan, Spain and the Soviet Union, use the opportunity to push demands against Britain?

Sealion is going to fail. But the question of how it fails and the results that follow may very well surpass the consequences of the invasion itself. Getting the USA to reluctantly DoW Germany, for whatever it means in a post-war world, is a massive Allied Gain. Forcing the UK to end its embargo against Japan or potentially make concessions elsewhere could hurt the allies as well.

MacCaulay

Banned
My only question is if Ming is writing a story about this. Because I think it'd be quite interesting. I'm glad folks are finally looking at it in the context of the time as opposed to the normal "it would fail so it wouldn't happen" reaction.

My only question is if Ming is writing a story about this. Because I think it'd be quite interesting. I'm glad folks are finally looking at it in the context of the time as opposed to the normal "it would fail so it wouldn't happen" reaction.

I am planning on doing a very short TL on the "Unmentionable Sea Mammal". The "Wargame" has gone on for a couple days, and so far it is in the favor of the German Landing Forces (Except for one portion of the landing beaches the artillery managed to land several shells of Mustard Gas). However, the British Destroyers and Cruisers are closing in upon the lifeline with the continent, and the convoy's defense's are breaking. PODs and the story itself will be explained sometime after conclusions are reached.

Ming777

Monthly Donor
Tentatively, I may make a mini Tl based on this
I'd need to know the list of assets on both sides immediately following the Battle of Britain (air, naval, and army) of OTL. The Timeline would probably be: "For Want of Sound Minds: Hitler Orders Seelow to Commence"

Ming777

Monthly Donor
For Want of Sound Mind: Hitler Commences Operation Sealion.

Preface
"For many historians, the events of September 1940 forever are marked by the sheer insanity on the part of the Reich's leadership. Despite the failure of the Luftwaffe to destroy RAF Fighter Command, Hitler seemed to ignored this setback. Despite the pleas from the Wehmarcht and the Kreigsmarine, Hitler continued to listen to the sweet, false assurances from Goring, that the Luftwaffe can still achieve victory and that the fuhrer should begin preparations to invade England."
-Excerpt from "Hitler's Folly: the Invasion of Britain"

I need help on this. Could someone list out:

-The composition of the Home Fleet in OTL September 1940
-The units of the Kreigsmarine to be used int he operation
-The numbers and compostion of aircraft on both sides on September 16, 1940
-Troops assigned to the invasion/defense of UK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.