Does this happen to you?

Ever be convinced a thread you start was going to be big, and it ends up with 0 replies? Or do you ever just throw out something you think might maybe perhaps could get a couple replies (like my Mithras Supreme) and it goes over big?

Most of the threads I've come up with tend to die after 10-20 replies. "Revolution South," my TL from the old board involving a German victory in WWI and a Soviet invasion of India, hit 50, which was exceptional.

I think it's b/c I rarely come up with timelines to discuss; the conversation lapses b/c there's not much other than the premise to talk about.

tom said:
Ever be convinced a thread you start was going to be big, and it ends up with 0 replies? Or do you ever just throw out something you think might maybe perhaps could get a couple replies (like my Mithras Supreme) and it goes over big?

I remember posting the idea for the Composite TL (my only really succesful post/TL) and thinking "this isn't going to get a single reply"

a while back i asked about an allied invasion of Norway in November 42(instead of africa); then conducted the overlord invasion through Denmark or directly into Germany. what would be the post war ramifications for france? very few responses to that one.

My first (and only TL) posted on the boards about a more chaotic early US history got exactly 1 reply after i posted about 5-6 long posts. Very disenchanting.

What do they know?

If someone out there knows something you don't know it can lead in an unexpected direction. Otherwise your first post explores all the alternatives and there isn't anything to comment on. Others, you know so little about your subject that people just leave it there instead of telling you all the stuff you don't know which makes your post silly.

Oh yeah !

Yeah guys this happens to me all the time, esp with some of my threads of late including those associated with Aust federation and earlier racial integration of the US armed forces, together with another thread when I 1st came onto this board re WI the Whites won the Russian CW, and an earlier thread on the previous board re Henri Dunant and the Red Cross (WI he hadn't been at Solferino in 1859). All these receieved exactly 0 replies, which was very regrettable. OTOH, there were some other threads I initially thought weren't gonna attract anything, which actually did, such as the old board's post on FDR and the attempted 1935 coup, more blacks in lily-white areas, and my review of THE MYTH OF INEVITABLE US DEFEAT IN VIETNAM, and on this board the post on greater racial disturbances on the WWII US homefront.

A thread will keep on going if it just happens that two obsessives with opposed views on the matter start posting. Or if happens to offend the amour propre of the two biggest groups on the board, the British and the Americans.

Diffinately. My most successful thread was the supposedly silly Empire Loyalists Unite, which ended up with 101 replies, a worrying number of which were serious.

However threads which I thought would really get people interested have done nothing. Colonia which I'd hoped would grow to rival Mithras as a shared universe has received zero replies except for me bumping it and someone comenting on my computer trouble.

It's particularly disapointing when you get no feedback on fiction, though at least on this board you can see whether anyone has viewed your work.

Sometimes, I think that people won't post because they really LIKE a timeline, and have no particular criticisms, and just want to see some more. On the other hand, it could be that several other recent posts have covered the same time period and people are just sick of that particular historical time and place. It's actually very difficult to tell why people are interested in something or not, because none of us can read each others' minds. A lot of it is just luck of the draw, I think. A timeline posted one day might get a couple of interesting replies, which will stimulate more discussion, which will start a long thread. If it's posted the next day, no one might be interested at the time, or people's attention is focused on a couple of other posts, and the whole thing just withers and dies.

I think you just have to post what you find interesting, cross your fingers, and hope for the best!

Another problem is, I'm afraid, compulsive starters of new threads. You might switch on the computer and discover a dozen. You just glance at them, think "O Christ!", then move somewhere else- possibly missing something that you might have found of genuine interest.