WI: The first black president was a Republican?

Actually, going back to Grey Wolf's idea, could Condoleezza Rice have run for president at some point? According to Wikipedia, she did serve in various posts in George Bush Sr's administration. If she'd run for and been elected to a statewide office in California in the 90s, for instance, could she have built up enough political capital to run for president in 2000 or 2004?

MLK Sr. was a Republican in 1960, but was a Democrat afterwards.
MLK Jr. never voted for a Republican in his life.

I stand corrected!

(I guess it makes sense that MLK was "madly for Adlai," though of course on more local levels Democrat = racist scumbag.)

I'm very surprised that nobody mentioned the idea of Nixon nominating Ed Brooke for VP after Agnew resigned in '73 in lieu of Ford. It would have been such a Nixonian ploy to avoid impeachment (impeach me and you'll get a n_____r), and I seem to recall the concept being made into a novel called "The Man" around that time.

Actually, going back to Grey Wolf's idea, could Condoleezza Rice have run for president at some point? According to Wikipedia, she did serve in various posts in George Bush Sr's administration. If she'd run for and been elected to a statewide office in California in the 90s, for instance, could she have built up enough political capital to run for president in 2000 or 2004?

There's been talk of giving her the VP slot in 2004, 2008, and 2012 - do it in any of the above, she gets to run next time.

I'm very surprised that nobody mentioned the idea of Nixon nominating Ed Brooke for VP after Agnew resigned in '73 in lieu of Ford. It would have been such a Nixonian ploy to avoid impeachment (impeach me and you'll get a n_____r), and I seem to recall the concept being made into a novel called "The Man" around that time.

That's just devious... plus, then the GOP get the Southern Strategy, AND keep the black voters within the party fold.

Japhy

Banned
If you have a completely different life, then ok, but let's be honest here. What you guys want isn't *Colin Powell, it's Colin Powell.

Its not about what I want, its about discussing the possibilities, *Powell with changes in his personality based on life experience (I'm not going to argue with the fact that that changes, if you think people can't change that is sad to hear but not relevant) is someone who would have a viable chance for being the First Black President with GOP membership. *Powell of course might also be a democrat in other situations, not particularly relevant to this discussion though.

I don't know what exactly you mean (which should go along with an indicator that it is wrong in the ways that I assume it may mean), but I'm not ideologically upset, and shame on you for saying so because I know it's meant as an insult wrapped in intellectual trappings and it is also meant as a dismissive of everything I said.

Don't kid yourself about the weight of what your commentary Old Sport, its quite silly.

I'm just noting you came in here rather annoyed at the discussion and had to lecture about how its impossible and black people should all be in line with the Democratic Party and have been doing the e-equivalent of stomping your feet because of that. If you think I'm being dismissive its because you're basically ignoring the point of the discussion. Yes in modern America it would make sense for the First Black President to be a Democrat, that doesn't mean they had a lock for it.

Its not about what I want, its about discussing the possibilities, *Powell with changes in his personality based on life experience (I'm not going to argue with the fact that that changes, if you think people can't change that is sad to hear but not relevant) is someone who would have a viable chance for being the First Black President with GOP membership. *Powell of course might also be a democrat in other situations, not particularly relevant to this discussion though.

Don't kid yourself about the weight of what your commentary Old Sport, its quite silly.

I'm just noting you came in here rather annoyed at the discussion and had to lecture about how its impossible and black people should all be in line with the Democratic Party and have been doing the e-equivalent of stomping your feet because of that. If you think I'm being dismissive its because you're basically ignoring the point of the discussion. Yes in modern America it would make sense for the First Black President to be a Democrat, that doesn't mean they had a lock for it.

Colin POwell was a serious possibility for the Presidency.

Yes, OTL he sited a "lack of passion for politics".

So it should be assumed that when we discuss WI:He ran, we are assuming a late, subtle but important POD that changes his mind.

When discussing alternate presidents, obviously the first place one would look would be candidates that actually ran, and the closer they got the more plausible they would be.

But Powell was a famous and popular general, who did go into political offices after the POD in question.

He is certainly a reasonable candidate for such a discussion.

A more likely scenario for Powell, assuming he decided he wanted the job, was to run for the nomination in 1996 and lose to Dole. It would allow him to build political experience and a networkto secure the nomination in 2000. He then wins the 2000 nomination and defeats Gore.

It's rare for an insurgent candidate to usurp the GOP nomination, and in 1996 it was Dole's "turn". I think despite popular excitement over Powell, he utlimately would have failed to become the nominee, although he might be offerred the VP slot by Dole. Ultimately too many people would have owed Dole favors, or owed favors to people cashing them in for Dole.

Rice like Powell has the problem of her views on abortion and unknown political skills. tThe Ed Brooke instead of Gerald Ford is interesting. I think Ronald Reagan would defeat him for the nomination in 1976

Japhy

Banned
Rice like Powell has the problem of her views on abortion and unknown political skills. tThe Ed Brooke instead of Gerald Ford is interesting. I think Ronald Reagan would defeat him for the nomination in 1976

I have doubts about that, Reagan's 1976 edge came from Wallace Democrats coming over to the Republicans, if the President is Black and Republican it will be very easy for Dixiecrats to remain Dixiecrats.

That and the Racial Tones of his campaign that year will cause severe damage in the face of a competent administration on the part of Brooke.

I have doubts about that, Reagan's 1976 edge came from Wallace Democrats coming over to the Republicans, if the President is Black and Republican it will be very easy for Dixiecrats to remain Dixiecrats.

That and the Racial Tones of his campaign that year will cause severe damage in the face of a competent administration on the part of Brooke.

Brooke's affair would kill him.

Kaptin Kurk

Banned
I think Powell could have probably won. Although, I'd suggest the ramifications of a Powell presidency is that the politics of today, in the ATL (2013) are pretty unrecognizable to us today. To say the least, I think the combination of issue searching and politics would mean the Republican Party and Democratic Party of today drew slightly different constiuencies.

Off the top of my head, I'd imagine a we'd have a somewhat more liberal Republican Party today, and a somewhat more conservative Democratic Party....

So, I think the real ramifications might be that hyper-partisanship we experience today might have been delayed a generation, with Powell.

How that plays out economically, and geo-politically, or even politically, I can only begin to suggests.

Japhy

Banned
Brooke's affair would kill him.

I'll admit I'm caught not in the know on this if he's got dirty laundry though that probably puts paid too it.

Though even then I'd have doubts that Reagan would be the one to take the nomination away from him, if only for the fact that his support would be spread out in two parties and there's probably be other Conservatives challenging in the instance that Brooke is going down.

Just did some reading on Brooke and saw that the issue was him making false statements during his divorce. wWhen was his divorce? hHis personal life aside, he was too liberal to win the Republican nomination in 1976.

I sincerely doubt a black person could win either party's primary in 1976 (without a POD in about 1876), sitting President or not. Reagan gave Ford a run for his money, he'd steamroll Brooke.

Cook

Banned
Rice like Powell has the problem of her views on abortion and unknown political skills.
I thought Rice’s main political problem was that she was an extremely skilled unmarried woman with no children; Southpark falling all over themselves deftly not saying the L word.