Where would Bin Laden take refuge if the Soviet Russians still occupy and controlled Afghanistan?

In our timeline the soviets had withdrawn from Afghanistan on May 15th 1988. But in this alternate timeline Gorbachev somehow never takes power and instead another hardliner was in power. So no withdrawal ever happens from late 80s onwards had their troops stationed on Afghanistan. 9/11 would still happen because of these reasons
  • The support of Israel by the United States
  • The presence of the U.S. military in the sacred Islamic lands of the Arabian Peninsula (Gulf War)
  • And the U.S. enforcement of sanctions against Iraq.
Now where would OBL hide and plot 9/11?
Somalia? Sudan? Or directly to Pakistan?
After Bin Laden admits to the attacks, how would the Americans capture Bin Laden? Would the even invade Sudan like in this infobox? Does it even make sense?

reddit.com/r/AlternateHistory/comments/paslgv/what_if_al_qaeda_stayed_in_sudan_instead_of/

America invades Pakistan which have nukes (impossible)
Since somehow Bin Laden would not and cannot stay in Afghanistan and might even stay in Pakistan directly? How would the US capture Bin Laden?

Afghanistan is very mountainous and much is inaccessible, while also bordering Pakistani tribal areas that have many connections with the Afghan tribal areas. Add that many of the tribal areas would be broadly supportive of Al Queda or have codes of honour and hospitality that may oblige them to host people they dislike and disagree with in some conditions [1] and it's a good place to disappear.

[1] I recall reading that there were issues with ISIS troops where personal honour and customary hospitality trumped dislike. This was from a reasonably reputable source, but I'd be very interested to hear other views as my closest connection with Afghanistan was flying over it at almost 40,000 feet (I'm guessing that was too high for the stingers as cruising was mostly 30,000 or so feet). But even from that height it's obviously impassable and inaccessible.