War movies that could've been/could be made

MIRACLE AT ST ANNA movie- cast

I've actually thought of whom I'd cast in the movie of MIRACLE AT ST ANNA, which for those who don't know is set in northern Italy late 1944, revolving around 4 black soldiers of the 92nd BUFFALO Div who get cut off behind German lines and meet this little Italian boy who survived a massacre of 500 villagers by the WAFFEN SS- they then try to make their way back to American lines with the help of local Italian partisans.

Michael Clarke Duncan- Sam Train (who else could play this part tailor-made for 'Big Mike' ?)- a huge dimwitted black soldier with a heart of gold, who finds and protects the little boy- who'd be played by that same kid who was Roberto Benigni's son in LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL

Wood Harris (Julius Campbell off REMEMBER THE TITANS)- Lt Aubrey Stamps- a professional black officer disillusioned by the racist high command's endemic racism and denigration of black soldiers in the 92nd

Anthony Anderson- Bishop Cummings- a cynical money-grubbing so-called 'preacher' from St Louis

Luis Guzman- Hector Negron- scared young Puerto Rican who acts as interpreter due to his language skills

Monica Bellucci (the chick who's Mary Magdalen off THE PASSION)- Renate, the female partisan leader in the village the Buffalo soldiers come to

any short sinewy Italian actor to play the role of Pepe, the 'Black Butterfly' local partisan leader, and any villainous-looking dude to play Rodolfo, his best friend who ends up betraying him to the SS

William Fichtner- Col. Jack Driscoll- hardbitten Bostonian CO of the 370th Inf Regt, the unit from which the main characters belong

Cary Elwes- Capt Nokes- a typical bigoted white Southern officer who resents being in command of 'niggers' and has absolutely no faith in black soldiers

Don Cheadle- Lt Birdsong- black junior officer who speaks German who participates in the search for the missing soldiers

Michael Boatman (from SPIN CITY)- Lt Huggs- another black Northern junior officer who gets killed during the opening attack on the Cinquale Canal

Steven Ford (Col Joe Cribbs off BLACKHAWK DOWN)- the highly professional white officer from Maine (can't remember his name), 1 of the few good white officers in the div

Gary Lewis (McGoin off GANGS OF NEW YORK)- Gen Allman (Almond in real-life), the 92nd's highly belligerent redneck commander from South Carolina who wants his men to fight and die, and berates most of them for being cowards

Michael Rooker- Capt Walker- in flashback, a white Mississippian officer who respects his black soldiers and leads by example, but gets KIA

any young blond German actor to play the role of the young SS trooper present at the massacre at St Anna who refused to take part and ran away, and also tried to save the life of the little boy by telling him and his mother to flee, then killing another SS trooper who wanted to kill them

More military miniseries a la BAND OF BROTHERS

hey guys, another thing- what other great military stories do you reckon could be made into military miniseries along the lines of BAND OF BROTHERS (which on the whole was an absolutely phenomenal book and miniseries about Easy Coy, 3rd/506th, 101st Airborne Div during WWII) ? Besides my suggestions mentioned earlier, what about if some of Stephen Ambrose's other books such as CITIZEN SOLDIERS or PEGASUS BRIDGE were given similar treatment ? The former could possibly be better presented as a documentary, while the latter could be done along similar lines to the 2-part 1998 BBC miniseries WARRIORS, which was about soldiers of the Cheshire Regt serving as UN peacekeepers in Bosnia 1992-93 (and which also starred Damien Lewis, that redheaded guy who played Dick Winters in BoB).

Other good military miniseries I'd love to see made:
2/2 Independent Commando Coy East Timor 1942-43
Battle of Kapyong 3RAR April 1951
Gary Linderer's LRRP/Ranger series
8th TFW or B-52 squadron experiences in Vietnam
Buffalo soldiers during Philippine Insurrection 1899- esp stories of renegade black troopers such as David Fagan, 24th Inf, deserting to Filipino side
10th Mtn Div peacekeeping experiences in Somalia 1992-93 (possibly based on ON 10 DOLLARS A DAY)

More military movie ideas:
Kasserine Pass 1943
American soldiers serving in north Russia, 1918-19 (possibly based on WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER)
CHICKENHAWK by Robert Mason

Melvin Loh said:
There actually is, according to IMDB, a Son Tay raid movie being planned, and the bombing of Darwin was in 1942, 19th Feb to be exact: there was a teledrama IIRC made by the ABC back in 1991 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the attack. Also, Mike, I think 1 good book to base the Iwo Jima campaign on would be FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS by James Bradley- read it ? The author's father was IIRC a USN corpsman on Iwo, who served alongside those Marines who planted the Stars and Stripes in that famous photo.

I vaguely remember seeing some docu-drama about Australia in early WW2 that the Darwin Raid factored into heavily. I wasnt highly impressed with it as it was all set inside in government buildings and the "action" was centered on civil servants trying to figure out a way to get the Australian Divisions in North Africa back home without looking like wimps.

Ive flipped through "Flags of Our Fathers". I believe there is an Iwo Jima movie being made right now, but I dont think its based on this book.

Son Tay, the movie?? Sweet!

NapoleonXIV

Banned
tetsu-katana said:
I would love to see a movie about the Spanish conquest of Mesoamerica; as far as I know, there haven`t been any. I think it has the potential to be a great movie, if it`s done right.

http://www.filmsandtv.com/search.asp?ms=1&uq=The Royal Hunt Of The Sun

Its a good drama though, with some of the better 'one-liners' I've heard.

The book The Psychopathic God; Adolf Hitler by Robert G.I. White would make a very good movie if done right. Its a biography, but reads like a horror story and has some of the most frightening artwork I've seen anywhere

Last edited:
Renegade Conquistador

tetsu-katana said:
I would love to see a movie about the Spanish conquest of Mesoamerica; as far as I know, there haven`t been any. I think it has the potential to be a great movie, if it`s done right.

One of the Spanish defected to the Mayans and tried to build a resistance to the Spanish. Don't know much more about that.
I dimly recall seeing a movie about a guy who was involved in some Mexican or Mesoamerica war when I was a kid. Maybe it was about him. This was like forty years ago, so no hope on titles or whatever.

BAND OF BROTHERS follow-on

Hey guys, what about a brief follow-up to the BoB series ? Like providing a brief coverage of the Easy Coy guys after the war in their post-army careers, while reflecting on their wartime experiences ? Dick Winters and Lew Nixon working as executives in Nixon Nitration Works, Buck Compton serving as LA County prosecutor, Joe Liebgott driving and owning taxis in Frisco, Bull Randleman in the Arkansas farm machinery business, David Webster on his adventures ending up with being lost at sea while shark-hunting off the coast of Florida in 1961, Ron Speirs continuing to serve in the post-war Army, including in the occupation forces in Germany, Bill Guarnere and Joe Toye adjusting to life as amputees, etc. Hey, WI Spielberg had actually decided to incorporate such a brief series of post-war vignettes on the men of Easy as part of the BoB series ?

OK, just a very quick query here- why ain't there nobody else on this board 'sides himself who's seen BoB ? This HBO 10-part miniseries was 1 of the most prominent military shows on TV, for pity's sakes !!!

The early years of the French Foreign Leigion between 1830 up to the Franco-Prussian War

I'd also like to see a film about William Walker, an Irish-American adventurer who became dictator of Nicaragua for a while in the 1850's.

Also a biography about Hiram Cronk, who at his death in 1905 was the oldest surviving veteran of the War of 1812.

There needs to also be a movie about the Canadian army in the 1970's.

David Howery said:
OK, it's not about a real war, but I would have loved to see a TV miniseries on "Red Storm Rising"... with today's CGI tech, you could really make it spectacular....

Damn straight!!!!!!! I would love to see that the ulitame Technothriller movie!

Also a movie about the Isreali tankers would be good to, Heights of Courage by Khankni about the 7th Brigade's stand near the Valley of Tears. Pretty much any hard core tank movie would be great.

Melvin Loh said:
OK, just a very quick query here- why ain't there nobody else on this board 'sides himself who's seen BoB ? This HBO 10-part miniseries was 1 of the most prominent military shows on TV, for pity's sakes !!!

Own the hole thing on DVD, it was excellent as well!

devil's brigade/guard can't remember the exact name but it was about a group of german soldiers who joined the french foreign legion and fought in korea/vietnam (damn my memory sucks today :eek: ) but it was a good book and would make a great movie

Sorry I've been away so long . . . I've had my hands full lately.

Anyway, if this hasn't already been suggested on this thread, I think it might be interesting to do a feature film adaptation of Harry Turtledove's Blood and Iron.