War movies that could've been/could be made

Leo Caesius

Banned
It's not for your sake, Hezekiah...

Call me old-fashioned, but I'd very very much like to see a movie detailing the Assyrian conquest of Israel and siege of Jerusalem, using details from the book of Kings. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but when I was studying epigraphy, the Lachish letters gave me chills... in the last letter, the unit commander is bitching about conditions, when he says "I'm waiting for the signal lights from Azekah, but for some reason they haven't come" (think of the scene with the signal fires from The Return of the King). Darkness had just permanently descended upon Azekah - and Lachish was next.

When we next see the Assyrian army, they are camped outside of Jerusalem, and their tents stretch all the way to the horizon. All the people of Judah are gathered into the city walls and camped on the top of the city wall, waiting to see what will happen next; the Rab Shaqeh (Assyrian Prime Minister) calls out and summons King Hezekiah. When Hezekiah appears, the Rab Shaqeh starts shouting about the destruction the Assyrians are going to cause, in Hebrew.

Hezekiah says "Relax, Rab Shaqeh - you don't need to speak our local patois. I'm educated, so go ahead and speak Aramaic," which was the official language of the Assyrian Empire at the time.

The Rab Shaqeh's response? "I'm not saying this for your benefit - Hezekiah - I'm saying it for the sake of those people hanging off the walls, who will soon be drinking their own urine and eating their own waste!" Get ready for the siege!

Little does he know, but Hezekiah had all the water he needed; he commanded his engineers to hew a tunnel into the bedrock, which went under the countryside all the way to a spring in the small village of Silwan - one of the greatest feats of engineering in the ancient world. The Judeans were prepared to wait out a very long siege.

I don't mean to spoil the ending, but a mysterious plague affects the Assyrian camp, and the Judeans awake to find the fields around the city deserted. Pure cinematic gold! Perhaps we could get Mel Gibson to play the Rab Shaqeh. Patrick McGoughan could be Hezekiah.

1. Has anyone ever done a film about Hereward the Wake (apart from tv adaptations of the Kingsley novel)?

2. One about Harald Hadrada, ending with the Battle of Stamford Bridge.

3. Marius and Sulla.

4. The campaigns of Eumenes.

5. This doesn't quite fit in, but an adaptation of ALLAN QUATERMAIN could now be made. Since the last third of the book involves a civil war climaxing in a massive battle it's really been unfilmable before, but now with CGI... Sean Connery as Allan and Morgan Freeman as Umslopagas. There wouldn't be a dry eye in the house.

Leo Caesius

Banned
Prunesquallor said:
5. This doesn't quite fit in, but an adaptation of ALLAN QUATERMAIN could now be made. Since the last third of the book involves a civil war climaxing in a massive battle it's really been unfilmable before, but now with CGI... Sean Connery as Allan and Morgan Freeman as Umslopagas. There wouldn't be a dry eye in the house.

I had just those two in mind when reading the novel. Funny, that.

I love the Quatermain novels, and have read every one I could get my hands on. That said, I think "The Ivory Child" would make a pretty good war movie too (along with the warriors, you have a giant god/elephant.. way cool!). However, I don't think Connery would be the best Quatermain. In the novels, he is a short wiry man, not a big muscular hunk. Mel Gibson?

I still go for Connery. I think he has much more of the "feel" of Quatermain than Gibson. Let's face it, if you can have Errol Flynn as Soames Forsyte and Clark Gable as Parnell, what do a couple of inches matter? Also, if you look at the progression of the character as the novels were written, there's quite a bit of change in the conception. In fact, some novels seem to have been revised for later editions to keep in tune with the newer image. I like THE IVORY CHILD, but because of the ending ("Such are some of the things I remember about this journey, but to tell the truth I paid little attention to them and many others. For oh! my heart was sore because of Hans") I don't read it in the pub. The motley collection of thugs and reprobates who inhabit my local might find it strange if I started snivelling. The other Quatermain I'd really like to see filmed is CHILD OF STORM, again with a climactic battle.

Here is my ideas

Gustav Vasas escape from Denmark to Dalarna and then his rise to become the swedish king and throw of the danish might

Battle of Lund in 1675, most casualities in any swedish battle

Battle of Poltava(only time i have seen that battle on tv was in a tv series about peter the great)

the brawl of Bender(was made into a swedish comedy in the 80ths that bombed a company out of buissnes)

Remake of Waterloo

battle of Trafalgar

Larry Bonds Red Phoenix

Connery would be of the right age to play Quatermain in "Allan Quatermain", since in that book, AQ was grey haired and old, although still pretty hardy. For "The Ivory Child" or "Child of Storm", though, he'd be too old... AQ was only in his 30's or 40's for those two. I still think it'd be better if you had someone shorter and less muscular, a more wiry kind of guy. Mel Gibson comes to mind, but maybe there's another Brit actor who'd fit the bill.....

Sorry. To me the combination of resignation, sadness, acceptance, wisdom, experience, makes Connery an actor who'd play the older Quatermain superbly. Admittedly, IVORY CHILD and CHILD OF STORM are both set decades before ALLAN QUATERMAIN.

Never saw the film. From what I saw of the comics, it looked like a simpler version of Kim Newman's ANNO DRACULA and what was being said of the film, even before it was released, convinced me that I could wait till the DVD got to THE POSTMAN price range.

David Howery said:
OK, it's not about a real war, but I would have loved to see a TV miniseries on "Red Storm Rising"... with today's CGI tech, you could really make it spectacular....

That....would be SO AWESOME

Prune> mmm, no, TLEG wasn't anything like Anno Dracula... nothing about vampires taking over the world. It was ok to watch once, but I wouldn't buy it... rent it once, see how much you like it...

1. Battle of Camerone 1863- The Battle that made the French Foreign Legion famous.

2. Operation KINGPIN/The Son Tay Prison raid of 1970

3. The Cambodia Incursion of 1970

4. Battle of Iwo Jima- "Sands of Iwo Jima" was good, but Id like to see something more comprehensive.

5. Battle of Okinawa

6. Battle of Xuan Loc 1975- One under equipped ARVN division holds off a Communist force over 4 times its size.

7. Battle of Khafji

8. The Falklands War

9. Japan's 1941 Darwin Raid

10. The Devil's Brigade- Obviously not a war or battle. Hollywood made a movie many years ago about the US/Canadian Special Service Force starring William Holden. It totally sucked. It deserves to be remade.

Dave> what I mean is a literary joke, playing with classic fictional characters. And when I say, wait till it gets to THE POSTMAN price range, that's when it's cheaper to buy than to rent.

I would love to see a movie about the Spanish conquest of Mesoamerica; as far as I know, there haven`t been any. I think it has the potential to be a great movie, if it`s done right.

There actually is, according to IMDB, a Son Tay raid movie being planned, and the bombing of Darwin was in 1942, 19th Feb to be exact: there was a teledrama IIRC made by the ABC back in 1991 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the attack. Also, Mike, I think 1 good book to base the Iwo Jima campaign on would be FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS by James Bradley- read it ? The author's father was IIRC a USN corpsman on Iwo, who served alongside those Marines who planted the Stars and Stripes in that famous photo.

I also think the next few ideas for good war movies:
bio-movie on Oliver Law (whom I posted about on the previous board), the African-American CO of the Abraham Lincoln Bn of the International Brigade during the Spanish CW (perhaps Lawrence Fishburne or Delroy Lindo in the starring role ?), killed in action at Brunete July 1937
story of 1st Kansas Volunteers (Colored) in action in the ACW's western campaigns from 1862
bio-movie on Charles Young (possibly Samuel L. Jackson in lead role ?)
IDF in Yom Kippur War 1973
King Philip's War 1675-76, told thru perspective of Capt Benjamin Church (maybe played by Brad Pitt ?) and his Rangers fighting Metacom's/King Philip's Indian confederacy
perhaps not a war movie per se- but what about a film set during the 1943 Detroit race riots ?

Diamond

Banned
Has there ever been a movie done of the Battle of Rorke's Drift? THAT would be awesome to watch.

Another movie I'd like to see (tho it probably wouldn't have very broad appeal): The fall of Constantinople to the Ottomans.

Prunesquallor said:
There is, curiously enough, a little known film called ZULU. I don't know if it ever got general release (sarcasm.)
Didn't that one star some bloke named Michael Caine? I wonder whatever became of him.....

Diamond

Banned
HA FRIGGIN HA

Terribly sorry; my eidetic memory must be a little faulty. I can't recite the periodic table or the names of every national capital either... it is truly a burden, going through life as merely human; what's it like being infallible? :D

Haven't seen Zulu in so many years I'd completely forgotten about it.