Victoria II

I've been doing an observer game for my extended timeline mod based of the NNM. The first Great War happened in 1907 over Some Damned Thing in the Balkans that was over in a year. The Second Great War, on the other hand, was a real World War mainly fought between China and Russia over a piece of land in Central Asia, land lasted from 1918-1923, ending in a Chinese defeat. Here's a world map:

qGju6dv.png

I see the Panama Canal but no Suez? Normally the Suez gets built first. Also what's the big purple blob in Africa and is that super Bolivia in South America?(I think its Bolivia at least)

What's the worst general you guys ever generated? I'm asking because I got a -4 Attack, -49.80% morale general yesterday, with his only redeeming features being a 0.20% organization and 10% experience boost. He actually ranks below leaderless on my leader spreadsheet. (I guess he could be...Acceptable if you desperately needed a general to defend something?)

Also, did anyone try a Luxembourg playthrough before? I just realized that it can form the German Empire while retaining French culture. Would be pretty hard, but potentially very overpowered.

Last edited:
Also, did anyone try a Luxembourg playthrough before? I just realized that it can form the German Empire while retaining French culture. Would be pretty hard, but potentially very overpowered.

Really? Holy shit that would solve so many problems I have with my German playthroughs. Once I form Germany I work on destroying as much of France as possible so I normally end up with the entire French coastline and the revolts can sometimes get nasty.

Really? Holy shit that would solve so many problems I have with my German playthroughs. Once I form Germany I work on destroying as much of France as possible so I normally end up with the entire French coastline and the revolts can sometimes get nasty.
Not to mention the ludicrous amount of Guards you'd end up with later on.

It might take you most of the game just to become Germany though...

It might take you most of the game just to become Germany though...

Not if you're able to get the "crown from the gutter". Do that and it becomes a matter of knocking off Prussia from GP and absorbing it. Germany with France as an accepted culture is the most OP thing I can think of in the game.

The official wiki helped me out a lot when I got started. The in-game tutorial is long and tedious, so I got into it by just playing the game and using the wiki to read up on concepts I didn't get instead.

I doubt I will be using this commander in actual battles much, but I'm definitely going to make use of him to rapidly regenerate unit organization whenever I need to. Don't think I've ever seen a Morale score this high before.
Tyby6M7.png

Impossible. Just remember that sucking at something is just the first step towards being sort of good at something. As America, I disbanded most of my fleet early on to save money, but I don't know how optimal a strategy this really is.

It depends on what you're planning on doing. If you want to conquer Cuba or other overseas locations early, obviously getting rid of your fleet is a terrible strategy. It can also be useful against Mexico, and you need one to enact the Anaconda Plan. But if you don't care about any of that, then you don't particularly need it.

I played a game as the USA yesterday (literally, I started it yesterday and went all the way through before going to bed) where I tried to more or less match Rhand's achievements but with the United States, and with the addition of conquering Canada. It went pretty well, and I'll post a fuller write-up tonight, when I have access to my desktop with the maps again.

Rhand

Banned
USA is easy, only problem is "Wickedness must be stamped out."

France is another good, easy option. Try to recreate Napoleon's Empire!

Brazil is similar to the USA, albeit weaker.

Russia is easy, but involves 50+ years of buildup before you start flexing your muscle on the world stage. in the meantime, try to win the Great Game!

Don't play:

Austria: populous and has plenty of raw materials, but it is in a bad position in Europe and thus has a foreign policy nightmare to confront. The rising nationalism of your subjects doesn't help matters.

Netherlands: used to be a good newbie nation, but nerfed to crap with HoD colonization mechanics.

Belgium: Ditto.

Ottoman Empire: same issues as Austria.

British Empire: strongest start, but by endgame, it's usually weaker than the USA and Germany. Victoria, despite the name, is pretty much the story of Prussia, rising up onto the world stage, taking its place in the sun against Britain, France, Austria, etc, and then in turn having to confront the usurper that is the USA. The British Empire is basically the villain of the story, seeking to contain and stymie its enemies. This can be fun for experienced players building a Cape-to-Singapore railway and taking land from France. But it might be boring for newbies, and discouraging if they fall from #1.

Greece: I know it's everyone's fantasy to rebuild the Byzantine Empire. And it can be done (shameless plug, but this took me the better part of a day to accomplish, so I deserve to be happy about it. It's called the "Byzantine Empire" in Vanilla, the "Greek Empire" in Vickymod). But it's an exercise best left to experienced players. You'll have to go on ahistorical adventures to Cameroon and Malaysia (Being too ahistorical grinds my gears, tbh), and that bothers me. Also, you'll have to go through an ungodly amount of reloads, because challenging the Ottoman Empire is no mean feat, and everything needs to go perfectly for you to come out on top.

Last edited:
British Empire: strongest start, but by endgame, it's usually weaker than the USA and Germany. Victoria, despite the name, is pretty much the story of Prussia, rising up onto the world stage, taking its place in the sun against Britain, France, Austria, etc, and then in turn having to confront the usurper that is the USA. The British Empire is basically the villain of the story, seeking to contain and stymie its enemies. This can be fun for experienced players building a Cape-to-Singapore railway and taking land from France. But it might be boring for newbies, and discouraging if they fall from #1.
That's an interesting observation. It definitely makes sense though; Victoria II advertises with Bismarck, not Victoria.

Rhand

Banned
That's an interesting observation. It definitely makes sense though; Victoria II advertises with Bismarck, not Victoria.

I think part of that is because while everyone knows the name "Victoria," she's not much of a looker tbh. Having her on the cover might hurt sales.

Now Elizabeth, on the other hand...

I haven't played this in a minute, and usually play as Prussia due to my internalized nationalism/desire for Magna Germania, I haven't seen the "Wickedness must be stamped out" event. What does it entail?

I think part of that is because while everyone knows the name "Victoria," she's not much of a looker tbh.
Hey now!

Anyway, BoJangles, your best bet is to let the auto-economy start. For the US, try to colonize the West, intervene against Mexico (and if you don't get all the historical US land, keep attacking them until you do), take some Pacific islands, for starters.