Victoria II

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Tellus, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Tellus Banned

We have a pretty cool Victoria 1 thread. And now, we are less than 30 days away from Victoria II. As a longtime Paradox fan, I think its time we make a thread for this upcoming gem.

Now, I say this despite the fact that I was horribly disappointed at the bug-ridden piece of shit that was Hearts of Iron 3. I promoted it here heavily until it turned out to be utter, smelly crap - which they are just now merely starting to get into decent shape after four patches and an expansion. This being said, I know that that our favorite Swedish developers learned from their mistakes, and I'm betting on them to have outgrown them by standing up, once again, for their next main title. Amongst other things, Vicky 2 will be the first Paradox title backed by in-house QA and professional testers.

Of course, the hope of probably getting a title thats not too buggy isn't enough to generate excitement. For excitement about Vicky 2, you need first of all to be a Vicky/Ricky fan. I know we have many of these here. Then you need to read the Diaries.

INDEX of Developer Diaries for Victoria II

Then, undoubtedly, youll see the amazing potential of this game. 1835-1935 was one HELL of a century, and this game will give it to you raw! Therefore, I suggest we use this thread to discuss our hopes for the upcoming title and our first impressions, as release is very close now!

I'll start, by saying Im planning on an aggressive pan-Islamic Ottoman Empire game first of all. What about you?

2. Ofaloaf Nothing really mattress

I eagerly look forward to this game and merely wish that it doesn't have as crappy a launch as HOI3.

My biggest complaint is the special Japanese Meiji modernization process, but I understand why the devs coded it in. Wonder how hard it is for the other countries to modernize-- I want a Sokoto Empire with dreadnoughts, damnit!

3. Tellus Banned

A fair point - actually, I dont mind at all country-specific decisions, but I wish there were more... Having Japan as the sole favored-child of Civilization amongst the Uncivilized is a problem not because it favors Kyoto but because it forces many other countries who also had a fair shot at fairly early and interesting modernization into generic-ness. I'd have preferred to have unique decisions for China and Persia, too, at the very least!

But in the end, these are fairly minor - and entirely moddable - details.

4. Konrad13 Prince and Grand Duke

I've never played a Vicky game before in my life. Quick question: can you cede territory to other nations? Or must all territory be conquered or something?

5. Fenwick Uncrowned ruler of Hippies

In Vicky when asking fro peace you could seek technology, particular lands, colonies, war rep, disarm the enemy, and much more. The game is really indepth.

6. wilcoxchar Free City Fanatic

Victoria has basically the same peace mechanic as all other Paradox games. During a war you don't actually conquer territory, but you can choose to take provinces when you sue for peace. If you end up losing you can cede territory in the peace agreement.

7. Timmy811 Member

You mean sell territory? Yeah, you can do that.

8. Zuvarq Pinche pendejo güey

You can't peacefully exchange territory in Victoria 2.

9. Timmy811 Member

What about Alaska? :confused:

10. Zuvarq Pinche pendejo güey

There's probably an event or something.

11. Iori ダークアビスの特使。

I have no idea what nation I'll play first, depends on if their are any new ones.

I do hope they kept the thing with the Raj being separate from Britain itself though, having it integral really screws with Britain games.

12. Zuvarq Pinche pendejo güey

I'll be the good 'ol Yu Es Ei

13. wilcoxchar Free City Fanatic

I'm not sure who my first game will be as. But I'm thinking Spain or the United States.

14. Ofaloaf Nothing really mattress

I never even completed a game as Brazil in the first Vicky/Ricky. Ended up jumping straight to Texas and playing a full game as a Great Power.

15. Iori ダークアビスの特使。

Thier should, far in the future, possibly after a cataclysmic global event, be an some East-Asian country that actually uses the name spelled like that.

16. Konrad13 Prince and Grand Duke

Darn, I really wanted to screw with that.

France: Hey Germany, want Alsace-Lorraine?
    Germany: Ja, warum?
    French: Here, just take all of North France and our colonies, buddy!
    Germany: Was ist das!?

17. CobaltKnight Well-Known Member

Three options:

1. Test my hand at Italian Unification.

2. Wait and find out how difficult it is to civilize not-Japan, then possibly take the reigns of Persia.

3. Mod in my own, not overpowered, country and play as that.

18. Korporal Nooij Well-Known Member

Republiek der Zeven Verenigde Nederlanden
    If it is at all going to be sold in stores near my home - Yeah, it took me quite some efforts to find Victoria I here - I will, first of all, play as Germany in the Great War. Afterwards, I will probably play as Prussia in the main scenario.

19. Orko Well-Known Member

Will you be able to start the game at any dat you want, like in EU3 and EU:R?

20. CobaltKnight Well-Known Member

No, you can only start the game in 1836; they opted to only include the Grand Scenario.