Victoria II

Md139115

Banned
So, I'm playing as Belgium: not much has happened, especially since I'm surrounded by countries far more powerful than I am, but at least my economy's going well - due to being an industrialized nation at the start of the game, probably - I became a Great Power and I sphered the Netherlands. Now, if only I could find a way to wrestle Limburg (a sub-state of the Netherlands in HPM) from them without angering Prussia, who is allied to both Belgium and the Netherlands...

I also colonized some Bakongo and Yoruba territory in Africa, but expanding in Nigeria is going to be hard since all the local states are allied to each other.

Edit: how the hell do I increase life rating and/or get "The Dark Continent"?

Edit #2: I'm losing Great Power status and I think it's because I'm behind with my tech research... is there some kind of tech research flowchart I can follow? Not this one, it's far too complicated. AND I'M LOSING MONEY AGAIN. What the fuck?

Like, what the hell do I do, I've read plenty of threads about how to not suck but.. :'(

Last edited:

Rosenheim

Donor
Thought I'd share my current (modded Pop Demand Mod - Concert of Europe) game with y'all. I'm playing as Russia.

A0hAi7j.png

The year is 1846. The Bon-Amis Alliance (France + Russia-Lithuania + Saxony-Poland + Prussia + Minors) just defeated the Anglo-Austrian-Ottoman Pact, breaking the Austrian Emperor's stranglehold on Central Europe, removing Turkish influence over Romania and throwing them out of the Caucasus. Northern Italy has broken out into revolt, unifying under the dictatorship of a few liberal elite cliques, each promising elections within the next few years.

In South America, the Argentineans grow fat and rich, while the Portuguese desperately try to hold onto their colony of Brazil. British Guyana continues to grow, though it remains relatively underpopulated.

In India, the battlelines of Europe had relatively little affect - French controlled southern India having remained a fierce stronghold and beating back British attempts to claim it. The Dutch have continued to dominate the sea regions, with Ceylon being the crown jewel of its trading empire.

In Africa, Abyssinia has united under a single Emperor who has moved north and won against his Egyptian neighbor in the fertile valleys of the Sudan.

Last edited:

Rosenheim

Donor
What the fuck, how did you create that map by that time?
Ah, I should have explained better - I edited the 1821 start date (from the Concert of Europe PDM) to create an alt-History start. Stuff like French India, Saxony-Poland, British Guyana, Dutch South Africa, independent Alsace (but not Lorraine), etc. This was to make the early game more interesting, as I've seen it all a hundred times before.

Stuff purely AI driven - Abyssinia's northward expansion, the beast that is the Federal Republic of Central America, North Italy unifying within the span of 2 years, the relative dismemberment of Austria (went from being Rank 4 to Rank 18 it got beaten so badly, losing Tyrol, Galicia, North Italy, coastal Slovenia, Dalmatia and Silesia), the French devouring of Belgium, and uber Argentina.

I've been mostly focused on internal issues - beginning the stages of Russian industrialization, developing the Imperial Far East Fleet and two Army groups, and messing around with my vassals, the Grand Duchy of Finland (which I gave Kola) and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania (which I role-play is given to the heir to the Russian throne to rule and has significant internal freedom).

Last edited:
So, I'm playing as Belgium: not much has happened, especially since I'm surrounded by countries far more powerful than I am, but at least my economy's going well - due to being an industrialized nation at the start of the game, probably - I became a Great Power and I sphered the Netherlands. Now, if only I could find a way to wrestle Limburg (a sub-state of the Netherlands in HPM) from them without angering Prussia, who is allied to both Belgium and the Netherlands...

I also colonized some Bakongo and Yoruba territory in Africa, but expanding in Nigeria is going to be hard since all the local states are allied to each other.

Edit: how the hell do I increase life rating and/or get "The Dark Continent"?

Edit #2: I'm losing Great Power status and I think it's because I'm behind with my tech research... is there some kind of tech research flowchart I can follow? Not this one, it's far too complicated. AND I'M LOSING MONEY AGAIN. What the fuck?

Like, what the hell do I do, I've read plenty of threads about how to not suck but.. :'(

My best argument would be to concentrate on maintaining your lead as a Great Power. And the best way for you to do that, as Belgium, is to concentrate on prestige and industry.

For prestige, make sure that you research all the way up aesthetics (that chart that you showed was a good one, generally). Get Medicine first, and start researching cultural techs (increased research speed is more important than education, as Belgium is sitting okish at 50% at the start).

Remember that you have to keep on top of when technologies first open up as well. And you can save researchpoints for up to a year before you start losing any. So, one of the aesthetic policies opens up in 1850, and you finish researching another tech in 1849. At that point, start saving research points so you can be the first one to research the policy and get massive prestige boosts. Once that's done, go back and catch up your increased research speed, then education and such.

Techs usually become available once every 10-20 years. just keep checking back to make sure you remember.

Belgium also has to take advantage of its coal iron and sulfur deposits (I only have the base game; can't say about HPM particularly). So, make sure to research through the metallurgy tree to improve your production of the raw resources. Focus on culture and industry.

If you want to use that chart, get the dark red ones ASAP, as they are all really good (in most cases). Then focus on the orange ones (and metallurgy, as you have lots of material). You can ignore most of the navy ones at first, but make sure to upgrade your one naval base; you'll be doing all of your colonizing from there, so it helps to conquer a few smaller nations (Johor/Brunei are popular in base game) for more resources and more ports to improve your naval limits.

If you're wanting to colonize, make sure to build a lot of ironclads (in base game). I would really suggest playing at least one game in the base just to get used to it, if you haven't already. Makes it easier to appreciate the changes in the mod.

My best argument would be to concentrate on maintaining your lead as a Great Power. And the best way for you to do that, as Belgium, is to concentrate on prestige and industry.

For prestige, make sure that you research all the way up aesthetics (that chart that you showed was a good one, generally). Get Medicine first, and start researching cultural techs (increased research speed is more important than education, as Belgium is sitting okish at 50% at the start).

Remember that you have to keep on top of when technologies first open up as well. And you can save researchpoints for up to a year before you start losing any. So, one of the aesthetic policies opens up in 1850, and you finish researching another tech in 1849. At that point, start saving research points so you can be the first one to research the policy and get massive prestige boosts. Once that's done, go back and catch up your increased research speed, then education and such.

Techs usually become available once every 10-20 years. just keep checking back to make sure you remember.

Belgium also has to take advantage of its coal iron and sulfur deposits (I only have the base game; can't say about HPM particularly). So, make sure to research through the metallurgy tree to improve your production of the raw resources. Focus on culture and industry.

If you want to use that chart, get the dark red ones ASAP, as they are all really good (in most cases). Then focus on the orange ones (and metallurgy, as you have lots of material). You can ignore most of the navy ones at first, but make sure to upgrade your one naval base; you'll be doing all of your colonizing from there, so it helps to conquer a few smaller nations (Johor/Brunei are popular in base game) for more resources and more ports to improve your naval limits.

If you're wanting to colonize, make sure to build a lot of ironclads (in base game). I would really suggest playing at least one game in the base just to get used to it, if you haven't already. Makes it easier to appreciate the changes in the mod.

The problem with that chart, it's that it's not useful at all. It says what techs are important and what techs aren't, but it doesn't say in what order one should research said techs; I just get confused when looking at that chart. An actual flowchart for example, would be much more easy to read.

Researching all the orange techs and all the red techs doesn't mean anything when you fall behind in everything else because you focused on just a few columns. And in the mod that I'm playing, you need a few blue techs to be able to colonize.

Last edited:
I don't understand why my position in the ranking keeps dropping regardless of what I do.

Just, why.

A good way of looking at it is that you have to maintain position at 6, at least, not 8. Japan and China, once modernized, can easily bump you off the charts if you're not careful. Same thing for the substates if they also modernized. They have a ton of military and, once industrialized, a lot of that as well.

The best thing for a small country is to stack prestige as much as possible. As such, i would think that your research order should be something like this:

Medicine - First thing. Double pop growth is wonderful.

Then continue to research the following until a tech finishes researching in early 1839:

Romanticism
Positivism
Mechanical Production - Gives you access to the Machine Gears (sorry, been a while since i played, this might not be the exact name). These are a major and important source for your production, and having a local production is great.
Clean Coal
Early Railroads

if you finish off in late 1838, for example, go research one of the T1 techs that has had no research (I think Belgium has one or two of those). That way, you won't waste research points that would be lost after one year while saving up the maximum for the next.

Either way, the first thing you do when 1840 hits is research Idealism, then go back and hit the next Aesthetics and Social Thoughts techs just so you can rank up your prestige and educational efficiency. After that, start getting your Industrial techs (Chemistry, Mechanization, Metallurgy, Infrastructure) while throwing in a commerce tech or two Economic Thought also gives prestige bonuses, so if you want to throw that in earlier, you can. Continue to repeat that

In the long game, Medicine and Electricity are the most important techs due to the plus population growth. For colonizing, you need to have nationalism and imperialism, machine guns, and medicines researched by 1870 and ready to go (the only time i would suggest skipping one of the Philosophy policies in Culture would be to get machine guns so that you can be the first to colonize).

As for navy and army techs, these are probably the least important (you should only be fighting wars of choice against uncivilized nations for the first part of the game, anyway). Army can be at least somewhat useful since you might have to fight against the Netherlands (probably will, granted, but definitely at the early game before it matters much), so investing into the Light Armament Tree is never a terrible choice. Another good one might be Army Doctrine just so you can build ports. Also, for the naval side, you must be able to have a level 3 port by 1870, so work in naval tech when you have a lull in research. Also, ironclads are the most efficient colony point boost per naval limit, although with only one port in your homeland, it can be difficult to build up a fleet. Commerce raiders are the #2 choice as of 1870.

If you want, Kersch has an LP on the lparchive.com that is extremely detailed and covers many different things, in far more depth than I've gotten in. It could be useful to you.

Gian

Banned
More updates to my new mod

(Please ignore Romania (again), and the Etruria-Lucca unification thing)

vnDF8T8.png

Any comments?

Anglo-German eternal alliance. NGF by 1850. German unification by 1860. Russian monarchy (accidentally) liberalizes.

*Tsar wakes up in cold sweat*

Has my game become the nightmare timeline?

Last edited:
Current game as US. I took all OTL US land from Mexico plus Sonora and Chihuahua. I had most of the Americas in my sphere, but made the bad decision of giving me Antioquoia to the USCA when I tried to make Panama independent. That boosted them up to GP status. I had to beat them into submission in two wars that ended with the total dismantling of it and the cession of Nicaragua to Costa Rica and Honduras to the Netherlands (have no idea how they got in my sphere). It's now about 1893 and the US is the first GP. For some reason, Rebels occupied nearly all of Europe in the 1880s, leading to independent Bosnia, Albania, Lithuania, Lombardy, Transylvania, Croatia, Finland, and Ireland. The Ukraine left Russia, though most of Russia is under the control of pan-Russian nationalists, who I believe have brought central Ukraine back into the Russian fold. I'm not sure how independent Slovakia joined Russia, but it did and it's a bizarre little exclave. Most of Africa is still uncolonized, and the French look like the only ones to be colonizing at all. A crazy world.

Is it possible to Trigger a Communist Uprising in the British Home Islands in this Game? In my Head there is nothing that screams "alternate History" quite like Marxists pushing Victoria off her Throne in the 1870s!;)

Is it possible to Trigger a Communist Uprising in the British Home Islands in this Game? In my Head there is nothing that screams "alternate History" quite like Marxists pushing Victoria off her Throne in the 1870s!;)

It wont happen that early, Fully occupy GB in the 1900s and then it'll happen.

It happened in 1923 in my US game. I was playing vanilla, though.