Victoria II

"Unlike the primitive mechanics of CK2 and EUIV, Victoria 2's pop system is completely realistic and provides unprecedented depth and grounding. I'm sure this screenshot will only further confirm its resounding triumph-
Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 11.22.22 PM.png

Ok, maybe the pop system isn't the best thing since sliced thande.

"Unlike the primitive mechanics of CK2 and EUIV, Victoria 2's pop system is completely realistic and provides unprecedented depth and grounding. I'm sure this screenshot will only further confirm its resounding triumph-
Ok, maybe the pop system isn't the best thing since sliced thande.
But wait, it gets better!
Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 1.11.43 AM.png

Why South Georgia is "Plains" instead of "Arctic" I'll never know.

Amazingly, that's the one thing that didn't happen in my game.

The New World Migration is also preety insane. While playing as California (I forced Mexico to release it in 1836 and played as the counrty, it was nearly impossible to stop migration into the country. By the time the 1880s rolled around, I had 50% unemployment due to migrants continousely moving into the country. Fortunately I was able to become a great power in the late 1890s and conquer some land off of Mexico and colonize some parts of the Pacific. This allowed by booming population to fan out.

The only time I consistenly lost population was when I had a communist government in 1876-1878, and that's because the nation bankrupted, had a despotic government, was in a war with the US to cede Hawaii (which I had conquered), and had a quarter of my adult male population leading a pro-democracy revolt.

Do you know, if there are plans to develop Victoria III. ?
Victoria III would close a gap between CKII EUIV and HOIIV,

From what I heard, the guy who did all the POP coding is gone (which is why POPs are nowhere near as complex or good in Stellaris). So a Vicky III would be a subpar sequel.

I'm getting pretty annoyed and I'm darn near at my limit. I'm trying to play Victoria II after several months of not playing it, but it keeps crashing when the load screen gets to "processing flags". I've cleared map cache and the flag cache, I deleted literally everything relevant to the game off my computer and done reinstalled it, but I keep getting the same crash after five attempts.

Last edited:
I don't have Vicky installed at the moment, so I don't remember where all of the folders are, but perhaps there's some mod-related files in the Victoria 2 folder in My Documents causing the crash? They usually wouldn't be removed by an uninstall, so even after reinstalling they might still be there. Just uninstalling and deleting the folder in My Documents might help.

If that doesn't work, or you've already tried it, I have no idea what could be wrong.

Do you know, if there are plans to develop Victoria III. ?
Victoria III would close a gap between CKII EUIV and HOIIV,

There are plans in that Paradox has folks who would like to do it again. I don't think there is a set plan. And yeah, I doubt Victoria III will have the baroque complexity of II, which would hardly be the same. Regardless we'll always have II though.

I'd really like to see a Cold War/Modern/Future game built on the Victoria II model. It would work way better than the HoI3 model used for East vs. West (not that that was the only problem with EvW)

That's what I unfortunately suspect. HOI 4 was more "streamlined" and casualized compared to HOI2 & Darkest Hour right? Victoria III would launch as a half-complete game with 40 items of DLC after a few years.

Oh, Paradox needing DLC to fix its initial setup I don't mind, the economic model in Victoria II didn't really work till the first expansion came out. Heck, these days you might get the updates to fix the economy for free! But I'm worried Paradox won't aim as high with V3, especially with how "lazy" parts of HoI4 are (the only 4 ideologies, the generic portraits for little countries). And TBH I can hardly blame them given what a nightmare programming the world market has been over the years. I still don't know why sphering China causes a global depression (that's why they coded it to not allow that anymore with HoD).