Votes: 78 73.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Both sides wiped out

Votes: 5 4.7%

• Total voters

boredatwork

Banned
The only way these two groups would have this much of their folks together in one place to have a fight in the first place would be some sort of ATL victory ceremony over someone or another.

In which case, we're not talking about an SF operation, with 'snooping and pooping' and tactical deployment of super spiffy hardware and cwazy wabbit training, but about some dimwit barbrawl gone haywire, which lasts until the MPs show up.

So who loses: everybody (especially the bar).

I also hate to say this, but it'd probably be the Seals; The SAS are good because they know how to pick their fights, plan meticulously, and make do with the equipment they have (and they are still British military, so chances are the 40mm grenades have been cut back this week, etc). The US SEALs, golden boys of the yanks as they are, can probably call upon all kinds of gunships and air support and flashy satellite guided microwave-designated gas mark 5 overengineered crap to help them out.

Edit: Gah x_X

Last edited:
This has to be up for an award for Most Ill-conceived Thread.

Neither the SEALs nor the SAS would ever possibly fight in the numbers in question since that is simply light infantry territory.

If they have to fight in this way then chances are the SAS edge since all members of the SAS have previously undergone standard British Army training for whatever Regiment they came from whereas SEALs are USN volunteers with likely no infantry training whatsoever.

Therefore this is not a comment on SAS training and members and SEAL training and members but their pre-SAS/SEAL backgrounds which neatly highlights why this is such a moronic thread

Cheers

BHR

Anaxagoras

Banned
This has to be up for an award for Most Ill-conceived Thread.

I would have thought my "Jesus vs. Plato In a Boxing Match" thread would have won that award.

Neither the SEALs nor the SAS would ever possibly fight in the numbers in question since that is simply light infantry territory.

If they have to fight in this way then chances are the SAS edge since all members of the SAS have previously undergone standard British Army training for whatever Regiment they came from whereas SEALs are USN volunteers with likely no infantry training whatsoever.

Therefore this is not a comment on SAS training and members and SEAL training and members but their pre-SAS/SEAL backgrounds which neatly highlights why this is such a moronic thread

I never said *how* they fight, did I?

Was it Delta Force or the SEALs that Chuck Norris was a member of? If it was the SEALs, then obviously the SEALs kick the crap out of the SAS... ;)

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
Was it Delta Force or the SEALs that Chuck Norris was a member of? If it was the SEALs, then obviously the SEALs kick the crap out of the SAS... ;)

Delta Force IIRC. It was Steven Seagal in the SEALs. ;)

Sargon

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I would predict that they would beat each other senseless with pillows tripping over the roughly 8,000 beer bottles required to get them to participate in such stupidity.

Ah Steven Segal was one of the SEALS eh? Well I voted for the SAS as I'm British and couldn't care less, but this puts everything into perspective, with the power of Chi the SAS have no chance. Hmmm they should make this into a film. Starring... :p

Ah Steven Segal was one of the SEALS eh? Well I voted for the SAS as I'm British and couldn't care less, but this puts everything into perspective, with the power of Chi the SAS have no chance. Hmmm they should make this into a film. Starring... :p

Sean Bean. He'd 'ave 'em all!

The only way these two groups would have this much of their folks together in one place to have a fight in the first place would be some sort of ATL victory ceremony over someone or another.

In which case, we're not talking about an SF operation, with 'snooping and pooping' and tactical deployment of super spiffy hardware and cwazy wabbit training, but about some dimwit barbrawl gone haywire, which lasts until the MPs show up.

So who loses: everybody (especially the bar).

If it's a bar brawl, the SAS would probably win. This is because AFAIK the rank and file of the British Army is still drawn from the urban underclass, in accordance with age old tradition. They are the iron hard sweepings of the street with no redeemable qualities except the ability to fight. The SAS are recruited from the hardest men in this bearpit.

The US Army, however, recruits people who in many cases want to improve themselves and see the Armed Forces as a way of doing this. US specops troops are recruited from the hardest among this relatively civilised bunch.

The raw material tells the whole story- the SAS is more likely to have a greater proportion of recruits who have been glassing people in bar brawls since the age of 12.

Sean Bean. He'd 'ave 'em all!

Rifles- to me! Stand fast, South Essex!

Actually, hell, in a bar fight I'd say Wellington's Peninsular Army takes all comers. Helped by the fact that Sharpe would quite happily bring a cannon to a bar brawl, if possible.

sharpe.jpg

No. Nothing phallic here at all...

Don't forget Harper, big barrel-chested oirishman bringing up the rear as only he can (with a seven-barrel volleygun by Mr Nock of London) :)

Don't forget Harper, big barrel-chested oirishman bringing up the rear as only he can (with a seven-barrel volleygun by Mr Nock of London) :)

And since all Americans believe Oirishmen have the racial attribute +7 Donnybrook the SEALs'd probably run screaming from him.

Well either that or they'd refuse to believe he was Oirish since he's got black hair.

It would be amusing to read a Sharpe novel written in the style of Tom Clancy.

Sharpe and Harper crouched in the sand beneath the Mad Mullah's hideout.

"Aren't we 'bout a century too early for Mad Mullah's an' all then?" asked Patrick.

Sharpe responded with only a curt nod. Since his famed service to the Crown in the Peninsula, he had drifted from mercenary job to mercenary job. Now, recruited by the United States he was ready to kill Muslims in the name of Freedom(tm). He patted the barrel of his American rifle, three feet of precision engineered, rifle-bored steel.

"Huzzah and tally-ho," shouted a caricatured British officer in the distance. Sharpe shook his head. Previously he'd had no time for such stereotypical nobs, generally portrayed as wastes of both time and space but since the change in writer, Sharpe found that the British upper classes were now portrayed with a mixture of condescension and inaccurate semi-Anglophilia.

Suddenly, the seven barrels of Harper's Nock gun pressed into his back.

"Aha!" snarled Harper, "Little did ye know that I was with the IRA all along! I'm going to assassinate the Queen when she comes to inspect the siege of the Mad Mullah's stronghold."

"Oh no," came the voice of the aforementioned officer, "The inexplicable and illogical war against Japan and India (wtf?) has taken a turn for the worse. It seems that one of the Mikado's subjects has crashed a hot air balloon into the American Capitol!"

"Was it intentional," asked someone

"Of course not- the little yellow slant eye was just too short sighted to see where he was going. He was shot for his own good of course."

"Quite right."

Sharpe sighed. It was going to be a long and somewhat illogical day.

OK, so that wasn't really a Tom Clancy pastiche, but I think I've sort of distilled the essence of his ouvre.

Last edited:

Riain

Banned
AFAIK SEALs don't have the best reputation among other, especially US, SF units. I believe Delta derisively refers to them as 'real studs' because they pull stunts like overloading themsleves for a night-time helo drop into the sea just to prove they can do it and then drowning because, well, they call it overloading for a reason. (Grenada 1983)

So I'd have to go with the SAS.

AFAIK SEALs don't have the best reputation among other, especially US, SF units. I believe Delta derisively refers to them as 'real studs' because they pull stunts like overloading themsleves for a night-time helo drop into the sea just to prove they can do it and then drowning because, well, they call it overloading for a reason. (Grenada 1983)

Are you sure that's reliable information. I'd be surprised to find out a spec ops force was that unprofessional- I realize the gung-ho attitude is endemic in much of the US military but one would think that kind of shit would be weeded out in selection for elite forces.