They Call it Civilization!

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
While this might be true, How many of those would be loyal to the crown? I doubt any of the Empire's African or Indian Citizens would really want to fight for the crown.

It pays well :D

The source of the Mazarunu River is in the Merume Mountains. The area is one of the very few places in the world still inaccessible. In 1992, a joint expedition of the Guyana Defence Force and Welsh Guards members was unable to reach the source of Mazaruni River, even with training, finances and equipment.
The navigable rivers are going to be the battleground. That and the coastal area. Naval bombardment will help there. Here is a compromise that the Venezuelans might want to plea for, but we are going to insist on the source of the Cuyuni, El Dorado (nice name that - wonder what it means...) and Guasipati at the very least.

Guyana_disputed_1991.GIF

Last edited:
Another issue I raise the quality of officer in the conflict, I don't doubt the skill of the individual American soldier compared to his British counter part what I question is the quality of American officers on land and sea and how he measures up to his Imperial counterpart.

I know for the fact that at the time the Empire had arguably the finest naval officer corp in the world at the time and her navy was unmatched in technology and size. Though I wonder about the individual quality of the American naval officers.

Now I'm not saying the Americans don't have a fine navy, we did and it was pretty good for its time, but I wonder if the Americans might be more suited to blockade running and surface raiding and not really suited to set peice battles.

On land I wonder if American troops might be more suited to a war of mobility and not one of set engagments? Because the Lee-Metford which still made the bulk of armerments in the hands of British Troops even up to 1897 it was still be used by second line forces during the second Boer War and even in a limited role during WWI.

Now despite the Lee-Metford having an accuracy issue at over 400 yards they still have the whole issue of capacity with the 10 magazine as opposed to the single shot Springfield which at the time makes up the bulk of the small arms in the hands of American militia, which make up the bulk of US forces.

Now as far accuracy and skill as riflemen the British might be at the mercy of the Americans (its a stretch but I'm banking on the average American being a better marksmen) but the British would have the edge in advanced machineguns, rifles,and artillery the Americans lack. Now the famous Lee-Enfield has a smoother action to operate than the Lee-Metford so in the early days of the war don't expect the Brits to be pulling off any "mad minutes" with their Lee-Metfords. Hell at this time many second line and colonial forces still are equiped with the older Martini-Henry rifles.

But as far as artillery and machine guns the British so outpace the Americans its not even funny so I would expect the Americans would try and buy from the other powers so it would not seem to unlikely that Americans might have at some point during the war a hodgepodge of German, French, Japanese, and maybe Russian equipment (The Russian and Japanese are pushing it I know but I'm grasping for American advantages at this point).

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
The Russian and Japanese weaponry is quite a good call. It is harder for the British to blockade the US west coast.

The advantage of rapid fire is a real force multiplier. Any battle will be at short range in jungle, but the smoke from our guns will reduce it to close combat.

Ambush sniping is the American's best bet (plus ca change).

Everything east of 63° west seems more than fair. Maybe we could put the islands up to 14° north into the same administration. Ciudad Guayana sounds pretty Guyanan to me. It is a city founded in the Guayana region of Venezuela (are they pulling our legs or what?)

The River Orinoco makes a good, indisputable, easily defended border. For the longterm stability of the region maybe we should annex this Guyana Region (British Pink on map). The red bit looks good too. I'd sign before we change our minds...

778px-Venezuela_regiones_administrativas.png

Last edited:
The Russian and Japanese weaponry is quite a good call. It is harder for the British to blockade the US west coast.

On top of that Russia and Japan are the rivals of Britain in Asia so they would actually benifit from an American victory. So actually I wouldn't be all to surprised if the Japanese especially sent aid to the Americans as well as the Russians. But I wonder if Russia is capable of it in 1895 I really don't know the state of Russian industry at the time. Maybe the Russians could use arms sales and shipments to America to bosst thir industrial growth?

I'm no good with computers but like reading your TL, therefore the only thing I can do to help is write this here and thus send this post back to the top. That will hopefully keep this thread on the home page long enough for someone who is good with computers to read your post above, and give you some proper advice.
:):)

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
They started it.

Venezuela declared war, so Britain could probably get away with annexing the whole country. The worst that could happen is the USA declaring war - already have!

USA declared war, so Britain could probably get away with annexing the whole country. After all we used to own it. The worst that could happen is ...?

Hard to digest such a large chunk of the world. Maybe we should stick to growing Canada to 42° north (Oregon territory only went to USA in 1846 - 50 years ago) and claiming back Pennsylvania and all points north and east of it. New Britain/England.

We have gone over the page so I will appeal anew for someone to help this time line's author to fix their computer:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=112121

Venezuela declared war, so Britain could probably get away with annexing the whole country. The worst that could happen is the USA declaring war - already have!

USA declared war, so Britain could probably get away with annexing the whole country. After all we used to own it. The worst that could happen is ...?

Hard to digest such a large chunk of the world. Maybe we should stick to growing Canada to 42° north (Oregon territory only went to USA in 1846 - 50 years ago) and claiming back Pennsylvania and all points north and east of it. New Britain/England.

We have gone over the page so I will appeal anew for someone to help this time line's author to fix their computer:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=112121

Talk about Hyperbolic? Annex all of America? A tactical victory would be nice...

Talk about Hyperbolic? Annex all of America? A tactical victory would be nice...

And a tactical victory is what will be achieved, but the British may need to put more into the war then they wan't to in order to score anything more than a tactical victory. In fact the Brits might win but in the long run be badly embarrassed if they can't slap down this upstart power that has challenged their power. THis also sets the US up regardless of victory ro defeat as the protector of Centeral and South America, so I think in this time line the Centeral and South American states will be cemented by this event as much more pro-American in the comming decades.

Rex Britanniae, I hope you find someone who can help fix your computer till then I will continue to speculate and keep this TL at the top.

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
It might be a stuck down key?

There were quite a few hits when I googled your error message.
EG:
keyboardfailure.jpg

http://www.goodexperience.com/tib/archives/2006/08/dell_keyboardfa.html
Every IBM-based PC since the PS/2 has done that. They could tell you to press F1, when it's only a temporary problem like you had something on the keyboard while the computer was booting, you hit F1 to continue. That's always how it works when the BIOS encounters any error while there's still a display device, RAM, and a CPU attached. Otherwise it just gives you beeps. If the clock/CMOS battery runs out and it says 'Invalid System Configuration - Please run SETUP program' it will display that same prompt line under it. There isn't any better way to write the error. How about 'Take a few paperclips and pull DB0 through DB7 to ground on your parallel port while cold-booting the computer' -- No one would do that.
By the way, they have to fit everything onto one little EPROM or EEPROM chip - it doesn't have any substantial storage space available in it.
So, when you encounter a keyboard failure, you plug in another working keyboard, and press F1. Pretty easy to understand. Some BIOS'es (like the ones used in older IBMs) will figure out the difference between a keyboard failure and a missing keyboard. Most don't. Hey, a keyboard's an external device, so it's pretty easy to check / replace compared to an internal device.
Of course, if it really bothers you or you're trying to make a headless server using a serial console, sometimes you can disable device checking on boot.

The US has a good Machine Gun of It's own

http://www.spanamwar.com/Coltmachinegun.htm

True, but it had little popularity outside the navy at the time as did the Winchester-Lee now in this war we could see the Winchester-Lee and the Colt model 1895 become very popular with the army as they were both already used with deadly skill in the hands of marines. But the Winchester-Lee did have some disadvantages the issue with the exstractor, the magazine, and the bore of the rifle eroding. Now if those issues could be solved relativly early on the Winchester-Lee could turn out to be a fine little rifle coupled with the model 1895 Colt machinegun could make for a deadly combo. A combo that could be the bane of the red coated British troops when faced with the skill of the American marksmen.