The NOT-so-best looking fighters of all time

there's a british ww1 plane where the pilot sits directly in front of the propeller, mere centimeters away from the head. i cant remember its name and a very quick google search reveals nothing.

it was probably designed by a german spy to kill as many british pilots as possible.

"....Aaand here we have the plans for the next fighter airplane we'll be ordering - designed by a chap with a French name I believe, "De Capitate", and the model designation is, yes, "D.O.A. 13". Seems like a jolly good design, this one, suitably vicious, what? I really do think we're on to a winner here, gentlemen."

Back on track.....

The pregnant appearing Grumman FF Fighter of 1931-1940 - that's what happens when planes snuggle together too closely below decks.....

This was a licence-built version, the Canadian Car and Foundry Goblin Mk I.
An excerpt from the wikipedia article on the Grumman FF:
The Canadian Car & Foundry Co acquired a manufacturing licence for the G-23, and improved FF-1, of which it completed a total of 52, some of which were assembled from US-built components. Thirty-four were acquired by the Spanish Republican Government in 1937 by presenting forged Turkish credentials. This batch was built primarily to bypass the US embargo placed on belligerents during the Spanish Civil War. Referred to as the GE-23 Delfin (en: Dolphin) by the Spanish Republican Air Force, the aircraft fought in the conflict, but were outclassed by opposing fighters and losses were high. Despite this, a victory against a Heinkel He 59B would be the only recorded "kill" by a Grumman biplane fighter. Eleven survived to serve in the Ejército del Aire Español, nicknamed Pedro Rico for its rotundity.
Although initially rejected as a fighter by the Royal Canadian Air Force as outdated and too slow, with the advent of war, the last 15 of the CC&F production batch were taken on strength as the Goblin I. The aircraft type served with the RCAF from 17 September 1940 until 21 April 1942. "A" Flight of No. 118 RCAF Sqn was equipped with Goblins at Rockcliffe in Ottawa, and subsequently became No. 118 (Fighter) Sqn., later stationed at Dartmouth, Nova Scotia where the Goblins for a time constituted the sole fighter force on the east coast.

Canadian Car and Foundry Goblin Mk I.jpg

From Russia With Glove

The Ilyushin IL-20 Super Sturmovik (1948). A plane only a mother could love. Intended mostly for ground attack, this two-man Soviet fighter was slower than a box turtle in wintertime, and plagued with massive vibration issues. Lord help the pilot who had to bail out.

IL-20BoxArt.jpg

there's a british ww1 plane where the pilot sits directly in front of the propeller, mere centimeters away from the head. i cant remember its name and a very quick google search reveals nothing.

it was probably designed by a german spy to kill as many british pilots as possible.

I take it you don't mean the gunbus

Vickers_FB.5_Gunbus_2345_G-ATVP_Yvtn_09.07.66_edited-3.jpg

Do perhaps mean the Vickers Vampire?

Vickers_F.B.26_Vampire_rear_quarter_view.jpg

Which I do believe crashed and killed its test pilot.

I still think that the pogo wins. It was supposed to land on a ship after all. Imagine trying to land that looking over your shoulder as the surface that you are trying to land on is moving up and down and sideways.:eek:

The Cold War was a test bed for all kinds of crazy ideas - engineers given almost unlimited piles of cash to invent stuff.

The Ilyushin IL-20 Super Sturmovik (1948). A plane only a mother could love. Intended mostly for ground attack, this two-man Soviet fighter was slower than a box turtle in wintertime, and plagued with massive vibration issues. Lord help the pilot who had to bail out.

IL-20BoxArt.jpg

Bailing out is for capitalists :p

Here ya go! It was designed to help combat the Fokker E1. The pilot sat behind the prop, and the gunner sat in front of the prop.

Royal Aircraft Factory BE9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Aircraft_Factory_B.E.9

RAF_B.E.9.jpg

Then french SPAD company also made some BE9-type planes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPAD_A.2

SPAD A2
1280px-SPAD_A2.jpg

Last edited:
Here ya go! It was designed to help combat the Fokker E1. The pilot sat behind the prop, and the gunner sat in front of the prop.

Royal Aircraft Factory BE9

yeah, that's exactly the one i've been looking for. that thing is so crazy you just have to question the sanity of the engineers who build it.