The NOT-so-best looking fighters of all time

The Supermarine Nighthawk.

Supermarine_Nighthawk-1.jpg

It was supposed to take down zeppelins. Presumably, it did so by causing the Zeppelin crews to laugh so hard that they got distracted and crashed.

Driftless

Donor
At least Supermarine got to atone for their sins.... They repented their sin of the Nighthawk, and RJ Mitchell brought them redemption in time....;)

At least Supermarine got to atone for their sins.... They repented their sin of the Nighthawk, and RJ Mitchell brought them redemption in time....;)

Yeah I've been partial to the lines of Mitchell's S-6 series of seaplane racers, very sleek art deco like design motif, and blistering speed for that era. Of course the experience gained by the Supermarine team would serve a higher purpose in about half a decade. :cool:

catch the pigeon, catch the pigeon...

I really like your Supermarine Nighthawk. Let's post it again, so we can bask in its wingy glory

Supermarine_P.B.31E_Nighthawk.jpg

Mmmm...quadraplane wings and a biplane tail. When five lifting surfaces just isn't enough...

Driftless

Donor
I really like your Supermarine Nighthawk. Let's post it again, so we can bask in its wingy glory

Supermarine_P.B.31E_Nighthawk.jpg

Mmmm...quadraplane wings and a biplane tail. When five lifting surfaces just isn't enough...

I know it's like kicking a puppy, as that plane never harmed a soul (consciously anyway...) With eight bazillion spars and miles of bracing wire, acres of wing surface, and protruding what-nots, what was the level of drag on this bad-boy?

I know it's like kicking a puppy, as that plane never harmed a soul (consciously anyway...) With eight bazillion spars and miles of bracing wire, acres of wing surface, and protruding what-nots, what was the level of drag on this bad-boy?

It is like an ugly puppy though - the more you look at it the more you start to love it a little more each time - and want to take it home - and talk to it in a soppy voice saying things like "Don't listen to the bad men" and "You might be Ugly but your mummy/daddy loves you".

pemberton_pb-31.gif

The Supermarine Nighthawk.

Supermarine_Nighthawk-1.jpg

It was supposed to take down zeppelins. Presumably, it did so by causing the Zeppelin crews to laugh so hard that they got distracted and crashed.

Please tell me that's not the crew of this... technological terror lined up there for the photo. Lie to me if you have to.

Maybe some of them were supposed to be the boarding party in charge of capturing the Zeppelin.

No see, one is the Tea handler, probably the most important job on the aircraft, it'd be quite impossible to operate without him. Another is the aircraft commander's personal Dogsbody, then there's two midaircraftmen, a master at arms, a cook, a coxswain in charge of manually turning the rudder, a chandelier repairman for if flak damages the grand staircase, and finally a gurkha boarding party. Of a single Gurkha.