The NOT-so-best looking fighters of all time

No see, one is the Tea handler, probably the most important job on the aircraft, it'd be quite impossible to operate without him. Another is the aircraft commander's personal Dogsbody, then there's two midaircraftmen, a master at arms, a cook, a coxswain in charge of manually turning the rudder, a chandelier repairman for if flak damages the grand staircase, and finally a gurkha boarding party. Of a single Gurkha.

A single Gurkha would probably be enough

Driftless

Donor
A single Gurkha would probably be enough

A single Gurkha running amok with a Kukri onboard a Zeppelin could do a lot of damage in short order ;)

I can hear conflicting strains of "Rule Britannia" & "The Ride of the Valkyries" as our intrepid Gurkha runs along the interior catwalk slashing gas cells as he goes.

It's Friday afternoon following a very long work week, and I'm a bit off the rail...

Driftless

Donor
Back on track.....

The pregnant appearing Grumman FF Fighter of 1931-1940 - that's what happens when planes snuggle together too closely below decks.....

4561977214_efa08ba1ef.jpg

No see, one is the Tea handler, probably the most important job on the aircraft, it'd be quite impossible to operate without him. Another is the aircraft commander's personal Dogsbody, then there's two midaircraftmen, a master at arms, a cook, a coxswain in charge of manually turning the rudder, a chandelier repairman for if flak damages the grand staircase, and finally a gurkha boarding party. Of a single Gurkha.

Air support for the Crimson Permanent Assurance.

What...make hum clutch his knife in his teeth :confused:

So for the theme on the ground It's Raining Men?
Sadly Churchill was involved in this scheme so it would probably be mucked up by conflicting orders (Goeben joke).

Also, the official reason for cancellation of this guy was "missiles were taking over philosophy."

Somehow I think the Soviets wanted to remain serious in the eyes of the world and this one would only invite hillbilly jokes.

This is the IL-40
Il-40front.jpg

Yike! And I thought the Sopwith was bad!! Did this ... (words fail.) ever get airborne?

It did! Though sadly it was only a short flight as it crashed on the second. Probably due to shifting ballast. Real shame, imagine seeing that thing fly overhead... I think it has a certain kind of beauty to it!:D

The Caproni Ca. 60:

CaproniCa.60.jpg

Lord preserve us all. :eek:

Now I know where Howard Hughes got the inspiration for the Spruce Goose. :D:p

To bad no surviving footage of the one and only flight wasn't made. :(

That would be awesome to gander at such a hodgepodge of wires, canvas, and struts soaring above the still waters below. :cool:

It's not ugly, It's like an adorable little duckling. :D

You said it. Take good loving care of it, give it enough food and see that it does not hurt itself, and maybe the cute little thing will grow into a real adult aircraft one day.

there's a british ww1 plane where the pilot sits directly in front of the propeller, mere centimeters away from the head. i cant remember its name and a very quick google search reveals nothing.

it was probably designed by a german spy to kill as many british pilots as possible.