The Legacy of the Glorious (Milarqui's Cut)

Status
Not open for further replies.
gringo are like: they beat us at our own games, but just take it :rolleyes:.

Still nice update, how that little butterfly will allow tesla have a plan b if his feud with edision end badly like otl.

How long will endure Kaiser Leopold? historically he die next year but with all stuff(maybe better medicine and dinamic state as king) will expand his life?

It's a great update, Milarqui. :D

I love the Dominican referendum results have reflected the enormous public support to the pro-Spanish cause, although I thought very strange the new name for the leasehold region, because I thought you would use the name of Santo Domingo. In addition, to counter US complaints, Spain could claim that the Dominican Republic is going quite similar to what happened decades earlier in Texas.

As for the appearance of Nikola Tesla and Monico Sanchez, I hope that soon will count the progress that can trigger. By the way, I'm very glad you've done to Tesla co-owner of Westinghouse (it is a pity that a genius as he had done being the archetypal mad scientist in his later years, because not worried about his economic future).

By the way, will we soon see a world map on these dates in your AH?

Deimos

Banned
The Spanish-American War of OTL was also used as propaganda that the South and North had set their differences aside. ITTL the US lacks that unifying victory.

gringo are like: they beat us at our own games, but just take it :rolleyes:.

Still nice update, how that little butterfly will allow tesla have a plan b if his feud with edision end badly like otl.

How long will endure Kaiser Leopold? historically he die next year but with all stuff(maybe better medicine and dinamic state as king) will expand his life?

Shit, man, this is gibberish. Can you try to translate this to proper English? Particularly the first sentence, I do not understand what you are trying to say.

The second sentence, if I am not mistaken, talks about Tesla and Edison, and the former having a plan B in case he still has a feud with Edison. Well, he does, and he is officially the inventor of radio and discoverer of X-Rays.

As for the last, I am guessing that you are asking whether Emperor Leopold will die as in RL or later. My answer is that he will die later. Not too much, but enough to make a difference.

It's a great update, Milarqui. :D

I love the Dominican referendum results have reflected the enormous public support to the pro-Spanish cause, although I thought very strange the new name for the leasehold region, because I thought you would use the name of Santo Domingo. In addition, to counter US complaints, Spain could claim that the Dominican Republic is going quite similar to what happened decades earlier in Texas.

As for the appearance of Nikola Tesla and Monico Sanchez, I hope that soon will count the progress that can trigger. By the way, I'm very glad you've done to Tesla co-owner of Westinghouse (it is a pity that a genius as he had done being the archetypal mad scientist in his later years, because not worried about his economic future).

By the way, will we soon see a world map on these dates in your AH?

The reason for the Dominican referendum being so successful is that Spain pretty much showed they were awesome, and the Dominicans wanted to share in the awesomeness :D. Jokes apart, Spain did a lot to help restore the nation's infrastructure and brought much wealth to the people, something that would have ended if the referendum went no. Also, Spain has proved that they are very much unlike how they were in times past.

Nikola Tesla, I gave him all of that because I felt that he was too much victimized in RL, and deserved a good break. Mónico Sánchez will be important to scientific development in Spain, particularly when he gets a few of his best inventions done. And Tesla will, surprisingly, come to our side of the pond, but it will not be one of the best moments, though...

The map? Damn, that's something I never get the time to work on.

The Spanish-American War of OTL was also used as propaganda that the South and North had set their differences aside. ITTL the US lacks that unifying victory.
If you've read Tocomocho's A Prussian in the Spanish Throne, you could see what problems this can cause...

Given that we are in the dawn of the XX century, will Lisboa and Porto get the universities they wanted for so long and only got in 1911?

Now that Lisbon is the main port (one does not simply know the greatness of the Lisbon port, srsy, even today the only port better than it is Rotterdam I think), what will happen to Seville? after the reconquest and until recently Cordoba only had 30,000 people. can that not happen to Andalusia?

I have a question, what will happen with the other Portuguese territories, colonies, etc, that have not been mentioned, for example Sao Tome and Principe and the other colony they had in Africa ( apart from Mozambique and Angola) which I can not remember its name right now.

I think Cape Verde and Gulf of Guinea Islands (Fernando Poo, Sao Tome, Principe and Annobon) could form two Spanish provinces, each of which would constitute a foral region, coming to look similar to the Canary Islands, Madeira and Azores status.

I'll just say, this timeline is BAWS, but i have an interesting question.

After losing the u.s., Britain completely re-worked its concept of colonies, leading it to be even more successful. however, as an american myself, it makes me a little awkward when the mention of Britain's former empire comes up, because then our co-existence WAS awkward back then.

Hopefully i'm not perceived as a bigot or a racist.

But my main point is, its the same think with Spain (technically Iberia now) except its not u.s.a. in that position, ITS MOST OF THE AMERICAS. how does this work out in international events? how do the former colonies in north and south america view the new Iberia as?

Hell maybe someone should have a polandball off this. can someone?

Also, annabon, sao tome, princepe, and fernado po should all be one colony, and the guinea (in the gulf) should be another. why hasn't someone done a timeline about all 4 of these islands being a single colony then a Nation? (someone plz do so)

I don't really think there is much of a justification for Corsica getting a colony, its always gonna be kinda asb. A way to make it better would be annexing Sardinia (i srsy doubt this, but hey, the Corsican dialect is very closely related to Tuscan or standard Italian, and Sardinian is a COMPLETELY SEPARATE LANGUAGE), or just eventually joining Italy proper. By this time very few people would speak french on the island as it wasn't mostly francophone until after WW2, and they would want to DISTANCE themselves from France, not keep the language. Plus they probably still view themselves as fellow Italians (like how Venetians, ligurians, Lombards(i mean the people of Milan, not the actual Lombards), Tuscans, Neapolitans, and Sicilians(maybe not these guys) view themselves as their own identity but still Italians.) tension between France, Italy, and Britain is not good enough of a reason why the Corsicans would remain independent in modern times (like i said, the only way to justify that would be the Corsicans annexing Sardinia, witch is most likely asb).

Last edited:
Given that we are in the dawn of the XX century, will Lisboa and Porto get the universities they wanted for so long and only got in 1911?

They already got them :D. They are young, but growing - the foremost Portuguese universities.

Now that Lisbon is the main port (one does not simply know the greatness of the Lisbon port, srsy, even today the only port better than it is Rotterdam I think), what will happen to Seville? after the reconquest and until recently Cordoba only had 30,000 people. can that not happen to Andalusia?

Seville as a port had the problem that ships over a certain size cannot reach it, since the Guadalquivir river is not deep enough for that to work. Small ships do come to Seville, so the port is still working and giving work to people. Andalucia has been managing to improve its situation thanks to the newest industries that are growing in there.

I have a question, what will happen with the other Portuguese territories, colonies, etc, that have not been mentioned, for example Sao Tome and Principe and the other colony they had in Africa (apart from Mozambique and Angola) which I can not remember its name right now.

The other colony in Africa is Guinea-Bissau. Also, they will probably join other colonies and become provinces - São Tomé e Príncipe will become a province in the Guinea foral region, while Guinea-Bissau will probably become yet another province in the Atlántico region... or perhaps Cabo Verde and Guinea-Bissau will become a different Foral Region.

I'll just say, this timeline is BAWS, but i have an interesting question.

After losing the u.s., Britain completely re-worked its concept of colonies, leading it to be even more successful. however, as an american myself, it makes me a little awkward when the mention of Britain's former empire comes up, because then our co-existence WAS awkward back then.

Hopefully i'm not perceived as a bigot or a racist.

But my main point is, its the same think with Spain (technically Iberia now) except its not u.s.a. in that position, ITS MOST OF THE AMERICAS. how does this work out in international events? how do the former colonies in north and south america view the new Iberia as?

I am not sure if I understand your question - the slightly bad grammar did not help much in that regard. If I am not mistaken, you are wondering whether the relationship between the United Kingdom of the Spains and all Latino-American nations is awkward or not.

The answer is... not so much. Perú and Bolivia are Spain's allies in South America (ever since the Second Pacific War), Brazil is very friendly with them (Empress Maria and Empress Antónia are family), Nicaragua really likes them (because of the Canal), Colombia is ambivalent, Argentina likes them, Mexico is divided on the issue (by the way, there will be a mention to them in the next part: both sides dislike that Spain is not openly supporting them, but the anti-Porfirio side wishes to be more like Spain), Chile really dislikes them (for the same reasons Perú and Bolivia like them), most of Central America does not give a damn beyond the Spanish investments...

Hell maybe someone should have a polandball off this. can someone?
Why?

Also, Annabon, Sao Tome, Principe, and Fernando Poo should all be one colony, and the Guinea (in the gulf) should be another. why hasn't someone done a timeline about all 4 of these islands being a single colony then a Nation? (someone plz do so)
As I have mentioned above, the Gulf's islands will become part of the same Foral Region as Guinea when the time comes.

I don't really think there is much of a justification for Corsica getting a colony, its always gonna be kinda asb. A way to make it better would be annexing Sardinia (i srsy doubt this, but hey, the Corsican dialect is very closely related to Tuscan or standard Italian, and Sardinian is a COMPLETELY SEPARATE LANGUAGE), or just eventually joining Italy proper. By this time very few people would speak French on the island as it wasn't mostly francophone until after WW2, and they would want to DISTANCE themselves from France, not keep the language. Plus they probably still view themselves as fellow Italians (like how Venetians, Ligurians, Lombards (i mean the people of Milan, not the actual Lombards), Tuscans, Neapolitans, and Sicilians (maybe not these guys) view themselves as their own identity but still Italians.) tension between France, Italy, and Britain is not good enough of a reason why the Corsicans would remain independent in modern times (like i said, the only way to justify that would be the Corsicans annexing Sardinia, witch is most likely asb).

Not sure if you have truly been reading the story, because you would not be making that question if you had, but here's a bit of a summary:
- Corsica managed to become independent after the Royalist coup in 1873 that brought the Bourbons back, because the Corsicans were not willing to fall again under the Aegis of a Bourbon and preferred one of their own to do so, so they asked Napoleon IV to become their king.
- France could not do anything to retake the island, because they did not have much of an army in the post-war, and any moves would be met with suspicion by the Spanish and the German, and by the time they retreated the Corsicans had become strong enough to defend themselves from potential French attacks. Likewise, they did not try to join Italy because they wanted to be on their own.
- Later, Napoleon IV decided that he had to be smart instead of wanting revenge, and got a secret deal with the Spanish and the German, who are pretty much protecting the Corsicans and helping to train their army - unofficially, of course.
- When the African Division (this world's name for the Scramble for Africa) came, as well as the Conference of Berlin, the Corsicans laid a claim to northern Tunis. France obviously protested, but the Corsicans managed to get the support of Spain, Germany and Italy (in exchange of support over Libya), as well as that of the minor powers, and the UK was swayed in the end to accept this. Napoleon IV ended up leading a small army to take that claim.

Thx for answering my questions Milarqui!

When I was talking about Corsica I didn't mean how they got to be independent, I read that part.

I meant how can they STAY independent, for the reasons I gave you. I don't personally think it's possible for Corsica to stay independent forever unless they annex Sardinia (which is probably asb, but hey, no-body's done a tl off this)

Latin america (including Brazil) being not very awkward seems a bit wrong almost, but I cant really tell why, so eh, it's your timeline after all:cool:

Do you know what a polandball is? I don't know very much about them but I think they are cartoons about nations being represented as balls with their respective flags on them. (sort of) Like hetaila. I've read a couple and they are pretty funny. With all the diplomatic upset this new Iberia has caused, it could make some funny moments if some polandball's were done off these.

In the future, some of Iberia's minorities wont be happy with "Spanish" and Portuguese being the only official languages. Will Basque, Catalan, and Galacian eventually become official as in otl Spain?

Last edited:
Thx for answering my questions Milarqui!

When I was talking about Corsica I didn't mean how they got to be independent, I read that part.

I meant how can they STAY independent, for the reasons I gave you. I don't personally think it's possible for Corsica to stay independent forever unless they annex Sardinia (which is probably asb, but hey, no-body's done a tl off this)
Spain and Germany are supporting them, as I have already mentioned.

Latin america (including Brazil) being not very awkward seems a bit wrong almost, but I cant really tell why, so eh, it's your timeline after all:cool:
Not so wrong. Even after all the mess with the Wars of Independence and such, Peru got on quite well with Spain, since they were the last ones to leave. And, if Spain helps them in their moment of need, then I cannot see why they would not have a better relationship. And Brazil was always friendly with Portugal.

Do you know what a polandball is? I don't know very much about them but I think they are cartoons about nations being represented as balls with their respective flags on them. (sort of) Like hetaila. I've read a couple and they are pretty funny. With all the diplomatic upset this new Iberia has caused, it could make some funny moments if some polandball's were done off these.
I've seen what it is on the internet, but I don't feel up to do that work.

In the future, some of Iberia's minorities wont be happy with "Spanish" and Portuguese being the only official languages. Will Basque, Catalan, and Galacian eventually become official as in otl Spain?
Please, read this. Carefully.

It said the languages were "other". Wait, are Catalan, Basque and Galacian actually official today, or just regionally official? Sometimes a spanish textbook doesnt tell you everything.:eek::eek:

Spain and Germany can support Corsica for now, but my question was meant for after the ttl world wars (if there is a ww2, which their might not be, but I can tell that you are setting things up for a ww)

On that fact file, could you post a map of the Spains and all their territories? is there a post with them?

Hopefully i'm not annoying you with all deze questions.:D

Last edited:
It said the languages were "other". Wait, are Catalan, Basque and Galacian actually official today, or just regionally official? Sometimes a spanish textbook doesnt tell you everything.:eek::eek:

Spain and Germany can support Corsica for now, but my question was meant for after the ttl world wars (if there is a ww2, which their might not be, but I can tell that you are setting things up for a ww)

On that fact file, could you post a map of the Spains and all their territories? is there a post with them?

Hopefully i'm not annoying you with all deze questions.:D

Those languages are co-official in their respective regions.

Oh, there's going to be a World War. Of course, what happens to Corsica... who knows?

I should do a map to show what goes where...

I for one wonder if there will ultimately be a Hearts of Iron mod for this in the future, I could see a scenario working on for Darkest Hour eventually.

Chapter VIII, Part IV
Part IV – 1904: Foundations of a Fall

The aftershocks of Quisqueya's reunification with Spain would be felt in many places, particularly in the United States. President Bryan, a devout pacifist, had yet to carry out any activity against “Spain's unlawful grab at our American brothers” beyond formal protests and unwillingness to recognise the change, and a good part of the public was being whipped into a frenzy by the sensationalist press, which was inventing several stories about the fate of Quisqueya in the aftermath of the vote. This, combined with his inability to push through several of his promised policies, such as Free Silver or Prohibition, due to the opposition of the Republican-dominated Senate, ensured that his earlier popularity would start to drop as the year passed.

Meanwhile, the people of Quisqueya were ignoring the American yellow press inventions and concerned with far more pressing matters, such as the election of their governor, their first foral parliament and their first deputies and senators in Madrid. It was not a surprise when the first Governor of Quisqueya was Juan Tapia de la Riba, of the Partido Demócrata-Radical, given that it was them that had made the greatest mark in the island, but the situation in everything else was pretty balanced between the two main parties, with the addition of several members of the Quisqueyan Regionalist Party to the foral parliament.

The elections themselves were another watermark in the history of Spain, for women were allowed to vote in them for the first time. In a world where most democratic nations completely restricted women access to the political system – of course, dictatorships and absolutist monarchies had no access at all – Spain was a shining light for all the suffragist movements around the world, particularly in the United Kingdom and the United States, where women started to protest for the lack of rights.

The important event of the year, though, took place elsewhere: May 22nd, Vienna. Karlskirche was hosting Pentecost Mass, and Emperor Franz Josef, as expected, would attend it with his family, including his nephew and heir, Archduke Franz Ferdinand. Ever since his wife's death five years ago, giving her last breath in her rooms in Schönbrunn Schloss – some said she had died of a broken heart after her only son's suicide – one of the few refuges he had had from his sadness over so many losses was religion, and he attended mass every Sunday. And, as with all other important festivities, he did so at the Imperial Church, Karlskirche.

However, this time would be completely different from all others. As the Austrian Emperor started to walk the way between his royal carriage and the church's gates, several gunshots rang out and bullets flew across the air. One of the Emperor's personal guards was struck in the shoulder, a second on the ear and, to the horror of everyone, the Emperor himself on the chest.

For a second, the entire square went silent, and then panic as the people's minds caught up with what had just happened. While the Emperor's personal guard tried to stop the bleeding in the Emperor's chest, several of the soldiers and constables that had been present started to seek the shooter, who had obviously hid himself among the public to carry out his execrable attack. It was one sharp-eyed constable that saw a man carrying a rifle while running away along the rest of the civilians, and several men gave chase, trying to capture the attacker and ensure he was punished. It took an hour and a half, and when they reached the man a shoot-out ensued: two more men died before the kingslayer was finally apprehended.

Because that was what he had become: already a difficult thing to survive if he had been a youth full of life, the Emperor's 74 years of age weighed on him too much, and he was unable to resist the shock of the attack and the loss of so much blood: Franz Josef I of Austria died before his personal doctor was able to act in such a way that might have saved his life.

The kingslayer turned out to be Edvárd Kovač, a Hungarian nationalist that formed part of a group of like-minded people that had decided striking against the Emperor and his heirs would be enough to prod his compatriots into an attempt to become independent. However, as Franz Ferdinand's carriage had run with some delay, he had decided to strike before the Emperor entered Karlskirche, hoping that it would be enough to bring the Dual Monarchy down and finally allow Hungary to become a nation on its own.

316px-Pietzner%2C_Carl_%281853-1927%29_-_Emperor_Franz_Josef_I_-_ca_1885.jpg

Franz Josef I of Austria (18 August 1830 – 22 May 1904)

The Emperor was buried three days later in the Imperial Crypt, next to his wife Elisabeth and his son Rudolf, after a solemn requiem mass that was attended by representatives of all the Crowns of Europe, and, most important of all, Franz Ferdinand, the heir to the Imperial Crown. A week later, after the period of mourning ended, he was crowned Emperor of Austria in Vienna, and three days later, King of Hungary in Budapest. Soon, Franz Ferdinand I of Austria-Hungary started to work on his plans for the Empire he ruled over. Much like his northern cousins, he decided that it was time to finally put an end to the absolutist reign that Franz Josef had upheld for his entire life. Unlike his uncle, Franz Ferdinand had understood that absolutism was at an end, and that if he did not listen to the people, he would end up losing everything. He would also start to plan for a way to change the circumstances of his marriage so that it would not be considered as morganatic any more, so that his wife Sophie would be able to be named Empress of Austria

He also started to lay the first bricks of what he hoped would finally put an end to what he thought was the great mistake of 1867, the compromise that had partially restablished Hungary's sovereignty, putting it on the same level as Austria. His antipathy for the Hungarians, now increased by the fact that they had murdered his uncle – not that he had shed many tears for him, given their great differences – and that they would have murdered him as well, ensured that he had the drive to push forward his project to federalize Austria-Hungary, which his counselor Aurel Popovici had nicknamed “United States of Greater Austria”.

621px-Greater_austria_ethnic.svg.png

The United States of Greater Austria plan

The first efforts to carry this out involved a meeting between the Austrian and Hungarian governments, two months after Franz Josef's death, where Popovici, at the behest of the Emperor, presented the plan. Naturally, the Hungarians were completely opposed to this plan, as it would curtail a good part of the power they held. Many arguments were held, with positions for and against the plan, and the discussion soon turned ugly. In the end, the Emperor called for a stop to the argument, telling the Hungarians that he cared not for their whining: he was their ruler, and if they did not want to collaborate, then he would appoint a new government that would do so.

The troubles of Austria-Hungary went mostly unnoticed by the other nations in Europe, and only at the highest levels of government was the crisis known, thanks to well-placed spies and moles in Vienna. The Germans were worried about this, as their neighbors to the south were in danger of suffering a catastrophe, and such a problem could not be allowed to happen. The Italians were mixed, for a collapse might allow them to claim Trento and other lands that they considered part of their country, but it also left them without a potential ally in a war. France and Russia, in the meantime, not only did they look towards it, but they were even considering the possibility of starting to send people to capitalize on it, wishing to take down one of the Germans' allies. Because war was close, any fool could see that, and any advantage they had, they would take gladly.

Meanwhile, at the other side of the ocean, the problems in Mexico, which were already big, exploded into rage: Porfirio's rule had been too long, and the people were fed up with the fact that all the good he had brought only benefitted a few people at the top of the food chain, while the rest of the people continued to live as they had years before, and at some points even worse. Thinking they had nothing to lose, they had started to organise, buying weapons in the United States or from other foreign nations, and, taking Porfirio by surprise, they started a rebellion in the north.

Ignoring the troubles to their north, the construction of the Nicaragua Canal continued unabated. The second lock had been finally installed after several delays and problems, but it was all good, and the expectation was that the canal would be finished within three years, at worst four.

This sparked the hastening of negotiations between the United States Government and Colombia: for 11 million dollars plus a yearly lease of $250,000, the United States would have control of the land for the canal and the chance to build it. They then spent even more money in buying everything the French had left behind, and the men behind the new project started to study the problem before them while making a calling for all men interested in this to join them in the “greatest work of engineering since the Pyramids”, as one journalist called it.

The canal soon became one of the issues in the incoming elections. Some considered it a complete waste of time and money that could be better spent on other issues, while others wondered if it might not have been better to find a way to make it cheaper to buy, and a few war hawks had even considered aloud that, perhaps, going to war might have worked better to ensure the canal became American. The Nicaragua Canal, Quisqueya, the start of an economic depression... all of it was piled up on President Bryan, and it became clear that, unless he managed to pull a rabbit out of his hat, he was done with.

That did not mean things were easy for the Republicans, either. Like sharks at the smell of blood, several politicians had jumped in the chance to oust Bryan from the Presidency. At least five candidates managed to make it to the national voting, and in the end it was Theodore Roosevelt, the most popular of the five, that was chosen, even though a good part of the Republican party leadership was wary of him due to his anti-corruption crusading and other issues that had kept them from allowing that to happen before. Henry Clay Evans was chosen as a way to balance the ticket.

On November 8th, the American people had to choose between the Republicans Theodore Roosevelt and Henry Clay Evans on one side, and the incumbent President and Vice-President, William Bryan and Arthur Sewall on the other side. In that day, Roosevelt and Evans end up getting 343 EV and 33 states over Bryan's 133 EV and 12 states, winning the Presidency, which he would be sworn in on the following March 5th.

364px-President_Theodore_Roosevelt%2C_1904.jpg

Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States of America

The accession of Roosevelt to the White House promised not a few problems in the future: given his patriotism, he was unlikely to actually to take any insult – or anything that might be construed as such – laying down... and that did not bode well for Spain.

Jajaja, if take tomocho cues, gringos will just like a bull crash and burn against a wall soon, if you destroy TR own sacred figure before this born would be pretty good.

Seriously need to kill FJ so fast, even Sisy never suffered her assasination ITTL yet die, well austria hungary have their chances with the USGA be formed and keep a new state soon.

The rest amazing update.

Status
Not open for further replies.