The August Crisis

Just a short thing to close the gaps between another update
Raising the Stakes

Outside Baskoye, Far-Eastern Economic Region
November 3rd, 1991

Shuysky Stepanovich nervously took a drag on the cigarette he was smoking. He could tell by the taste it was from Russia, but the West had cut imports after Yanayev took power so this was all he had. He waited outside the silo he commanded with a small briefcase, inside were 3 nuclear warheads. He was going to sell them to a man from Korea, the one Kim ran, for a tidy profit of 300 million American dollars. He began to day-dream about his life in America...it was going to be great. He could feed himself, and even have money for the next day. He left his dreamworld when a helicopter appeared over the horizon. He got nervous as it approached and images of his body being buried in a shallow grave flashed through his mind. He took another drag before throwing the cig to the ground. "It wasn't that good anyway" he thought to himself. The helicopter landed not far away almost knocking Shuysky to the ground. The door opened and a man got out followed by four heavily armed and armored men who wielded what looked to be Kalashnikov's but Shuysky wasn't sure. The man ran toward him and once he was clear of the blades stood upward and pulled a card out of his pocket.

He read it and looked at Shuysky "Are you Major Nezhdanov Nikita Yevgenievich?" he asked in a confused tone.

Shuysky shook his head "No, that is my CO. I am PFC Shuysky Stepanovich are you Yop Yong Jun?" Shuysky asked cautiously. The Far East had a strong and numerous Asian minority and Shuysky couldn't tell one from another. That made this trade even more dangerous as he could easily be a KGB agent.

Yop nodded "Of course. I am told you have the warheads?" he responded.

"I do." Shuysky said while moving the briefcase he had at his side "but first one question, why do you need them? Your army is doing great from what I have heard, even marching to within 16 km (10 mi) of their capital." Shuysky said inquisitively.

Yop grew stern "It is not for detonation on North Korean soil, that is all you must know!" he said. The armed men he came with moved forward and grabbed the briefcase while another dropped two suitcases in front of Shuysky. The man opened them to show they were packed full of cash, one million USD to be exact. Shuyskies eyes lit up as the helicopter whisked the others away, nuclear warheads now purchased.