The 20th Century

In response to some ideas posted in a thread about a possible fan project, I suggested a thread for a 20th Century timeline. This would start on January 1st, 1900, and would then be added to until January 1st, 2000. Justin Pickard suggested I start a thread...and so I have.

Rules:

1. Entries start on January 1st, 1900 and end on January 1st, 2000.
2. Each entry is exactly one month long. (1200 entries total, but bear with me.)
3. Each entry should be in the For All Time format, "Romulus Augustulus is not a happy man. Sitting in his tiny cubicle, typing away on a forum to pass the time..."
4. You may post as many entries as you want, but there has to be at least one entry by someone else after one of your entries before you can post again.
5. We're just fleshing the rules out now. Open to change, suggestions, etc.
6. Plausibility.

Darkest

Banned
Hey, great idea, though I don't think I should be the person to start it off, I'll gladly participate.

Arrival

As he lay shivering in his bunk Oscar Fredrickson thought about everything that he left behind in Sweden. He had left behind all that he knew for a chance in America. He had just laid down for the night after talking with one of the sailors on the steamer. The sailor told him that they were about one day from New York City and the immigration agency. He thought to himself, "I can hardly wait until I get to Ellis Island."
One day later the ship arrived in New York City and after many hours of delays he finally disembarked. He got on the dock and looked around. He saw things that he had never seen before as he strode down the dock towards the immigration holding areas. He looked around and saw all variety of steamships and even a few sailing vessels that were still in service. Up ahead he heard the street traffic. He heard the bells of trolleys, the noise of horses being ridden and even some machines that he had never seen before. Of course he had heard of horseless carriages, but he had never seen one before.
After several days of being poked and prodded by the immigration doctors to make sure that he didn't have any diseases he was released from the port area. Oscar asked where the train station, but he could not make his wishes known because of his thick Swedish accent. After a few hours of fruitless asking, he found someone to translate for him. He got directions to the train station and got there after several hours of walking.
He made his way to a ticket booth and after making his wishes known he gave the man behind the counter the money for the train ticket to Chicago, Illinois. He had to wait until the next morning for the train so he decided to just sit on one of the benches and get some sleep.
After a very restless night of tossing and turning because the benches were made of very hard wood he heard the announcement of the train leaving. He looked at the ticket and looked around for a schedule to tell him where the train would be departing from. He went to the departure area and got on the train. He proceeded with his one piece of luggage and found a seat. After stowing away his luggage he sat down and leaned his head back and went back to sleep.
Several hours later he woke up and they had left the station. He was on his way. He thought to himself, "In about a week I will be in Chicago and then I will have to find some way to get up to the upper area of Wisconsin, but that is something that I can worry about later." He looked around and a number of people were still asleep. Some of them were immigrants like himself, but others were citizens. He saw men with their wives, families, and single men like himself. He planned to find a place up in Northern Wisconsin and start a farm. Some place with other people from Sweden such as himself so that he would not feel too out of place.

Last edited:
Sorry

I thought that the timeline was supposed to start on 1/1/1900. I didn't realize that meant that the POD was supposed to be no later than that also.

Let's just use this thread to toss some ideas around, we could post the proper stuff in the Shared Worlds Thread, since I suppose that's what it is.

Can you give a link to the example of the 'For All Time' format?

I'd be happy to help mod this.

I see. But we would probably need a seperate thread or OOC excerpts in order to keep track of butterflies and discuss the way things are going...

Plus some way of making sure it isn't spammed.

I'm tempted to have the death of the not-yet King Edward VII from fever or something as the POD.

I can't really write that well, but I'd be happy to help you guys come up with some ideas for the basic plot.

Romulus Augustulus said:
Well...let's see if people are willing to "sign up," so to speak. I'd say 5 to 8 should be enough.

Yeah. Do it through PMs and stuff, before posting it properly. I think it has real potential, as an idea.

See if you can drag Grey Wolf and Diamond in. Lord knows, they probably have enough on their plates already...but they're two of the best.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Justin Pickard said:
See if you can drag Grey Wolf and Diamond in. Lord knows, they probably have enough on their plates already...but they're two of the best.

I could give you potential yes-ish unless any work comes my way

Grey Wolf