The 20th Century

So, who are we going to have do the first installment? Should we put the final ones in the Writing thread, and post drafts and discussion here?

Romulus Augustulus said:
Yeah. I guess. Although when the Great War comes, I think that Japan will probably choose to stay out of it...
I think that Germany will probably sell it's Pacific colonies to Japan to keep Britain from taking them though...

Romulus Augustulus said:
Yeah. I guess. Although when the Great War comes, I think that Japan will probably choose to stay out of it...
I'd suspect Japan wouldn't be taken seriously enough. Without the upstart defeat the British have to station their own troops out in the pacific and can't really count on Japan. With the British dispersed Germany has much more of a chance on the continet...so prehaps worse losses by British forces leading to...

Grey Wolf

Donor
Hmmm, I'll wait and see what happens

Then I'll know what other people have in mind for it

One thing that would annoy me is people jumping ahead - i.e. if we do years to 1906, then how can we say that was happened will affect World War One when one cannot know at all if such a war will even occur ?

Well, people wanted my input, lol

Grey Wolf

The thread with the actual chapters will go in the Writer's Thread. The discussion and what not will go here. So, let's flesh this out...

1900-1903: negligible differences.
1903: Ripple effect leads to earlier Morocco Crisis, with much the same effect as in OTL, that is France and Britain coming together against Germany. The crisis is in fact worse than OTL, so Anglo-German relations are significantly poisoned. There's a de facto military alliance between France and Germany, as Britain turns against Germany and allies itself with Russia. At the same time, they try to come to an understanding with Russia.
1904-1905: Russo-Japanese War. Russia wins; Japan, feeling angry at Britain for a variety of reasons, falls out with Britain and cozies up to Germany.

How's that?

Does anyone think TR not getting nominated as VP in 1900 has any merit? I think that John Hay would maybe be a good nominee instead...

No, you lot are moving too fast, we just need an initial month or two to debate. The butterflies can come later...

Any volunteers for the first installment?

Grey Wolf

Donor
luakel said:
Does anyone think TR not getting nominated as VP in 1900 has any merit? I think that John Hay would maybe be a good nominee instead...

An interesting idea - if he had failed spectacularly in Cuba maybe ?

Grey Wolf

Romulus Augustulus said:
Let's still nominate TR.
Even though McKinely surviving has been done before (in a really good TL, at that), we'd be taking it in an entirely different direction, so I think we should do that, if TR would still be Veep.

The POD is on January 1st...the Spanish-American War still happens; the US still wins, etc.

Okay...here's OTL's January 1900, according to Wikipedia...

Wikipedia said:
January 1 - Nigeria becomes a British protectorate
January 2 - John Hay announces the Open Door Policy to promote trade with China.
January 2 - Chicago Canal opens.
January 5 - Irish leader John Edward Redmond calls for a revolt against British rule.
January 6 - It is reported that millions are starving in India.
January 6 - Boers attack Ladysmith - over 1000 people killed
January 8 - United States President William McKinley places Alaska under military rule.
January 13 - Kaiser of Germany declares that German is the command language in the German army
January 14 - Premier presentation of opera Tosca in Rome - actors have received death threats and nameless letters.
January 16 - The United States Senate accepts the Anglo-German treaty of 1899 in which the United Kingdom renounced its claims to the Samoan islands.
January 24 - Battle of Spion Kop in Second Boer War
January 24 - The governments in London and Pretoria begin negotiations to end the Boer Wars.
January 27 - Boxer rebellion: Foreign diplomats in Peking China demand that the Boxer rebels be disciplined.
January 29 - The American League of Professional Baseball Clubs is organized in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with 8 founding teams.
January 30 - United Kingdom forces fighting Boers in South Africa ask for reinforcements.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Romulus Augustulus said:
The thread with the actual chapters will go in the Writer's Thread. The discussion and what not will go here. So, let's flesh this out...

1900-1903: negligible differences.
1903: Ripple effect leads to earlier Morocco Crisis, with much the same effect as in OTL, that is France and Britain coming together against Germany. The crisis is in fact worse than OTL, so Anglo-German relations are significantly poisoned. There's a de facto military alliance between France and Germany, as Britain turns against Germany and allies itself with Russia. At the same time, they try to come to an understanding with Russia.

Um, typo in here somewhere - France and Britain come together, alliance between France and Germany ? Britain allies itself with Russia...and comes to an understanding with Russia ?

1904-1905: Russo-Japanese War. Russia wins; Japan, feeling angry at Britain for a variety of reasons, falls out with Britain and cozies up to Germany.

Japan in defeat will be worth less as an ally, and quite possibly fall victim ot internal factionalism

Grey Wolf

Hmmmmmm..... I know that this is going ahead too fast maybe, but what if the Boers decide to hold out, at least a few months longer?

I'm willing to a short kind of 'prologue' about the early death of Queen Victoria to set the tone. Any ideas?

You guys can run from it with there. We could probably run with multiple PODs, if you want.

----

Oh and, lukael, "During Victoria's last years, the United Kingdom was involved in the Boer War, which received the enthusiastic support of the Queen." So, without her, who knows what would have happened?

atl wikipedia said:
January 1 - Nigeria becomes a British protectorate
January 2 - John Hay announces the Open Door Policy to promote trade with China.
January 2 - Chicago Canal opens.
January 5 - Irish leader John Edward Redmond calls for a revolt against British rule.
January 6 - It is reported that millions are starving in India.
January 6 - Boers attack Ladysmith - over 1000 people killed
January 8 - United States President William McKinley places Alaska under military rule.
January 13 - Kaiser of Germany declares that German is the command language in the German army
January 14 - Premier presentation of opera Tosca in Rome - actors have received death threats and nameless letters.
January 16 - The United States Senate accepts the Anglo-German treaty of 1899 in which the United Kingdom renounced its claims to the Samoan islands.
January 24 - Battle of Spion Kop in Second Boer War
January 24 - The governments in London and Pretoria begin negotiations to end the Boer Wars.
January 27 - Boxer rebellion: Foreign diplomats in Peking China demand that the Boxer rebels be disciplined.
January 28 - Queen Victoria dies of a heart attack.
January 29 - The American League of Professional Baseball Clubs is organized in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with 8 founding teams.
January 30 - United Kingdom forces fighting Boers in South Africa ask for reinforcements.

Okay...January 28th, Queen Victoria dies of a heart attack.

Justin Pickard said:
I'm willing to a short kind of 'prologue' about the early death of Queen Victoria to set the tone. Any ideas?

You guys can run from it with there. We could probably run with multiple PODs, if you want.
I said earlier that Ladysmith falling might be bad enough to shock Victoria to death. That could also tie in with the Boer War lasting longer...