So, now I have Hearts of Iron II...

... and I love it! It's a lot of fun, and I'm playing as Germany in the 1936 campaign, as per Zyzzyva's suggestion. However, I have a few questions:

1: How do I speed up production times for units?
2: How do you increase the odds of countries joining your alliance? I'm on good terms with several nations, but they still list their odds of joining as zero.
3: What affects the election results of democratic countries controlled by the computer? I'd like to, if possible, get the USA to turn more right-wing (to possibly increase their chances of helping me later), but I don't know if there's any way to change that as another country.

Thanks in advance.

1. Research the assembly line techs.
2. How many alliances did germany have in 1936?
3. Its random for most countries except for small ones and america. You cant affect them if your germany unless you cheat.

1. Research the assembly line techs.
2. How many alliances did germany have in 1936?
3. Its random for most countries except for small ones and america. You cant affect them if your germany unless you cheat.

If you have the Doomsday expansion you can try to affect them with spies.

Right well alliances possible in 1936-1938:

Austria
Hungary
Argentina
Spain (during the war)
Greece
Turkey
Czechoslovakia
Slovakia
Afganistan (maybe?)

Thats all i remember. Not counting any countries you release your self.

... and I love it! It's a lot of fun, and I'm playing as Germany in the 1936 campaign, as per Zyzzyva's suggestion. However, I have a few questions:

2: How do you increase the odds of countries joining your alliance? I'm on good terms with several nations, but they still list their odds of joining as zero.
3: What affects the election results of democratic countries controlled by the computer? I'd like to, if possible, get the USA to turn more right-wing (to possibly increase their chances of helping me later), but I don't know if there's any way to change that as another country.

Thanks in advance.

You can speed it up with the Assembly line techs and by moving your sliders to hawk lobby. I recommend doing both.

You can improve the odds of nations joining your alliance by increasing their relations with you (Influencing and trades) and if this is not sufficient, coup the nation and they'll open up. Note that HOI2 is kinda stogdy with building alliances as Germany--most nations will not bite until you've made some historical progress. Up until 1939 or so, your only friends will be provided by Event.

As for getting the USA on your side--you can attempt to coup them, which puts the US Nazi Party in charge, or you can opt for a variation along the lines of DoWing Japan right before Pearl Harbor--if Japan doesn't ally with its puppets, this causes Japan to join the Allies.

And then the United States, DoWed by Allied Japan, joins the Axis.

Note that its much easier to provoke a Commintern-Allied war; all you need to do is DoW a Baltic State when Stalin tries to grab it. You can then increase the fun by DoWing Persia and Afghanistan, which will cause the Soviets and the UK to have a serious frontline and eventually lead to the Soviets crunching into India--while you, mash in the Soviets from the Western Front.

Good luck!

You can speed it up with the Assembly line techs and by moving your sliders to hawk lobby. I recommend doing both.

You can improve the odds of nations joining your alliance by increasing their relations with you (Influencing and trades) and if this is not sufficient, coup the nation and they'll open up. Note that HOI2 is kinda stogdy with building alliances as Germany--most nations will not bite until you've made some historical progress. Up until 1939 or so, your only friends will be provided by Event.

As for getting the USA on your side--you can attempt to coup them, which puts the US Nazi Party in charge, or you can opt for a variation along the lines of DoWing Japan right before Pearl Harbor--if Japan doesn't ally with its puppets, this causes Japan to join the Allies.

And then the United States, DoWed by Allied Japan, joins the Axis.

Note that its much easier to provoke a Commintern-Allied war; all you need to do is DoW a Baltic State when Stalin tries to grab it. You can then increase the fun by DoWing Persia and Afghanistan, which will cause the Soviets and the UK to have a serious frontline and eventually lead to the Soviets crunching into India--while you, mash in the Soviets from the Western Front.

Good luck!

Sounds like a good plan, but what is a DoW?

The US has special events to determine the presidential elections, and some events bring particular parties/ministers to power in other countries (for example Churchill in the UK) but all other countries just have generic "elections" events. These are totally random and there's no way to effect them, though in all they're geared to be more likely to choose the historical path.

The only way to change another country's form of government without war is with a coup. Get ten spies in the country and go for it. Without a minister that modifies it, you've only got a 5% chance of succeeding, but it is possible.

edit: a DoW is a Declaration of War.

Last edited:
You can alter the events in the db folder if you want. Just change the ai chance of a US president you want to see elected over FDR. :p

wormyguy

Banned
Make sure you get rid of your alliance with Austria before March, 1938, or you won't be able to annex them in the Anschluss.

Thanks for all the tips, guys.

BTW, how do I get this suggestion to work? I'm not sure I understand. Do I declare war on the Soviets or the Baltic countries?

Thanks for all the tips, guys.

BTW, how do I get this suggestion to work? I'm not sure I understand. Do I declare war on the Soviets or the Baltic countries?

When the Soviet Union declares war on a Baltic country not in an alliance, you DoW it. This makes that Baltic Country a member of the Allies--and at war with the Soviet Union. DoWing Iran and Afghanistan causes these nations to join the Allies--and creates a large land border between the Soviet Union and the Allies.

The other nasty tricks include:

Allying Austria and then DoWing Hungary, and getting Austria to Annex Hungary and Italy peacing out for Venice. This, after ending your alliance with Austria, means that Germany gets a port on the Adriatic and 100% of the IC it takes--in this case, this is something like 50 IC in one go.

Couping the United States (no harder to achieve than Couping Austria) offers the world on a silver platter if you achieve it. It has my full recommendation as a easy way to win the world.

Sealion is rather easy. A diversionary invasion force will allow the real force to get through onto the Isle of Britian. If you then use transports to move directly into port instead of dismounting the infantry, the RN will not have time to clear your transports, and the Isle of Britain will fall quickly.

Finally, there is some possibility that totally ahistorical wars break out, like Japan vs. Soviet Union; be sure to exploit such opportunties as they emerge.

Thanks in advance.
Try trading with the SU. If you make an alliance, the free wolrd is doomed.

When the Soviet Union declares war on a Baltic country not in an alliance, you DoW it. This makes that Baltic Country a member of the Allies--and at war with the Soviet Union. DoWing Iran and Afghanistan causes these nations to join the Allies--and creates a large land border between the Soviet Union and the Allies.

The other nasty tricks include:

Allying Austria and then DoWing Hungary, and getting Austria to Annex Hungary and Italy peacing out for Venice. This, after ending your alliance with Austria, means that Germany gets a port on the Adriatic and 100% of the IC it takes--in this case, this is something like 50 IC in one go.

Couping the United States (no harder to achieve than Couping Austria) offers the world on a silver platter if you achieve it. It has my full recommendation as a easy way to win the world.

Sealion is rather easy. A diversionary invasion force will allow the real force to get through onto the Isle of Britian. If you then use transports to move directly into port instead of dismounting the infantry, the RN will not have time to clear your transports, and the Isle of Britain will fall quickly.

Finally, there is some possibility that totally ahistorical wars break out, like Japan vs. Soviet Union; be sure to exploit such opportunties as they emerge.

*strokes goatee evilly*
Eeexcellent. I like this plan. I'll try some of these out next time I play.

By the way, is this not the most badass province on the planet:
Picture1.png

Krall

Banned
Well, if the I Am Not Making This Up examples on TV Tropes are anything to go by, there is actually a guy whose name is Batman bin Suparman. Let me repeat that. Batman bin Suparman.

So Suparman is Batman's dad? But Batman's parents were killed in that alleyway... or were they?

Well, if the I Am Not Making This Up examples on TV Tropes are anything to go by, there is actually a guy whose name is Batman bin Suparman. Let me repeat that. Batman bin Suparman.
Dear goodness, whoever came up with that either needs to be killed or elected Emperor of Earth.