Romans in 1399 mod thingy for EU3

A fitting name, don't you think?

Anyways, this project should probably be in it's own thread now. If you aren't an avid reader of the EU3 thread, then this is basically a mod that started off with just adding Romans to central Italy and got silly from there. There's not much done so far beyond Europe:

romamortalitas.jpg

Changes from the vanilla scenario:
  • Map of Europe completely redone. Romans, Ostrogoths, Khazars and many other states and groups from late antiquity and the early middle ages are now present.
  • New religions! Islam has been replaced with Zoroastrianism (Mazdaist and Zurvanist), Judaism has been added in (Rabbanite and Karaite), three new Pagan religions have been added (Rodist, Ansist, and Druidic). Protestantism is yet to be redone.
  • HRE is being redone to mimic a pale shade of the former Roman Empire. The new Empire now covers Italia, Hispania, Gallia, the Balkans and other odds and ends here and there.
There's actually a lot that still needs to be done, and there's a lot of only-half-working things currently in. Missions have not been changed at all, yet, and given that some states in the game are heavily-altered versions of vanilla states (Neustria has the FRA tag, Kimak is HUN), some weird-ass stuff might happen. The religious icon graphics are kind of screwy right now, too.

I repeat: It really is not done at all. I suggest playing an observer's game as Hy-Brazil for 50 years and then report back what happens, because it's gonna be screwy. Also, it's for Divine Wind only.

AN EARLY DRAFT (0.1.12 + 1/2) CAN BE DOWNLOADED HERE

Put the files in your mod folder.

Last edited:
Really? What's the message? Error on line what, in what file? Tell me and I'll have a go at it.

Er, actually, it's probably my fault. I don't know much at all about programming or computers...

But what it's doing is that whenever it says "loading flags" on the startup screen, the hourglass becomes the standard Windows Vista loading cursor, and if I minimize the game, a window that says "Runtime error! Program: ...s\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis III\eu3game.exe The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information," appears.

Er, actually, it's probably my fault. I don't know much at all about programming or computers...

But what it's doing is that whenever it says "loading flags" on the startup screen, the hourglass becomes the standard Windows Vista loading cursor, and if I minimize the game, a window that says "Runtime error! Program: ...s\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis III\eu3game.exe The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information," appears.
Oh, that does sound odd. Did you put the two things within the .rar (the romanitas folder and romanitas.mod) by themselves in the /mod folder?

Oh, that does sound odd. Did you put the two things within the .rar (the romanitas folder and romanitas.mod) by themselves in the /mod folder?

Hm, there appears to a dummy text file left over from some mod I removed before in there with them. But that's all.

Hm, there appears to a dummy text file left over from some mod I removed before in there with them. But that's all.
Hm. If it's the flag files... if you can, go into /mod/romanitas/gfx/flags and delete "flagfiles.dds". Try to start it up again after that. I'm shooting in the dark here.

I was just thinking, what do you plan to do with the Mongols? With a POD before Ghengis Khan I can't see them forming a major empire, perhaps conquering part of China maybe, but not much more.

You should add Vinland in NA, and maybe a couple of succesful Roman (latin) colonies into the new world.

I was just thinking, what do you plan to do with the Mongols? With a POD before Ghengis Khan I can't see them forming a major empire, perhaps conquering part of China maybe, but not much more.
I'd like for there to be a larger Mongolia and a fragmented China at the start of the scenario, mostly because I want there to be the vaguest chance of a Romans v. Mongols war at some point. Beyond that, not a clue yet.
You should add Vinland in NA, and maybe a couple of succesful Roman (latin) colonies into the new world.
Nah. No New World colonies at the start of the game. I already feel bad for putting in Hy-Brazil, but they're a splendid country for testing purposes.

Last edited:
Hm. If it's the flag files... if you can, go into /mod/romanitas/gfx/flags and delete "flagfiles.dds". Try to start it up again after that. I'm shooting in the dark here.

That didn't do anything, but that's fine. I'll worry about any problems there are when I download the finished mod. And if it works for you, there must just be something odd about my computer is doing things, or something...

That didn't do anything, but that's fine. I'll worry about any problems there are when I download the finished mod. And if it works for you, there must just be something odd about my computer is doing things, or something...
I'm just anxious to see if anybody else has the same problem, in which case I'll be scrambling to figure out what's going on.

I'd like for there to be a larger Mongolia and a fragmented China at the start of the scenario, mostly because I want there to be the vaguest change of a Romans v. Mongols war at some point. Beyond that, not a clue yet.

Nah. No New World colonies at the start of the game. I already feel bad for putting in Hy-Brazil, but they're a splendid country for testing purposes.

Maybe a Jin-Dynasty style Mongolia? And in central asia a Turkic Empire?

And about the New World colonies- what if Vinland were to be an independent state, cut off from Europe?

Maybe a Jin-Dynasty style Mongolia? And in central asia a Turkic Empire?
Like Europe, I'm aiming to chop up Central Asia into itty bitty little bits. Persia's the only one that gets to even claim an imperial government.

And about the New World colonies- what if Vinland were to be an independent state, cut off from Europe?
Still, no. Then that just means that a player-guided Vinland will have nothing to do but colonize America to pass the time, and an AI one will just be a pain in the ass to everyone. No Old World settlements in the New World. Vinland would be a splendid colonial revolter, but no Vinland at the beginning.

Do you have any particularly unusual or otherwise unique nations planned for the rest of the world? Have you created any missions for the existing European nations yet?

I'm installing Divine Wind right now and will try your mod tomorrow. If I have any problems, I'll let you know.

Do you have any particularly unusual or otherwise unique nations planned for the rest of the world? Have you created any missions for the existing European nations yet?
I confess that mission-making has taken a backseat to state-placing; I've been aiming to finish the 1399 map before moving on to missions and new choices and the like.

As for other nations-- I've started on reshaping the Timurids (or at least the TIM tag) into Bactria, and I'm going to try to break China into itty little bits. I don't know what else to do in India besides the changing the Muslim-cum-Zoroastrian states back to Hinduism (and maybe a little Buddhism). Africa must be tweaked; Swahili just doesn't make any sense in this scenario.

I'm installing Divine Wind right now and will try your mod tomorrow. If I have any problems, I'll let you know.
Much appreciated! Make sure you patch DW up to avoid that dreadful savegame sloggery.