Romans in 1399 mod thingy for EU3

Faeelin

Banned
You should still post it as a work in progress. It's a lot more interesting than a lot of the dreck.

I do like the idea of a radical Jewish faith spreading to India, by Mohammedan Romans, BTW.

Oh god, what? I haven't even touched mission files yet. what did I doooooo
Bloody hell, every country I select starts off with that now. Sometimes I can cancel it and a legit mission comes up, other times it just repeats.
You should still post it as a work in progress. It's a lot more interesting than a lot of the dreck.

I do like the idea of a radical Jewish faith spreading to India, by Mohammedan Romans, BTW.
Some coastal Jewish states in India does have a certain appeal...

Change the flag of Prydain, you could use the Ill Bethisad Kemrese one.
Plus you should think about colonial revolters.
My suggestions
Tir na nOg from Prydain
Nova Roma from Romans
Mexicia from Romans.
Plus you should change it from Romano-Brittish to Britannian or Brittano-Romans

Change the flag of Prydain, you could use the Ill Bethisad Kemrese one.
Nah, that's getting too Welsh. This is still Roman to a degree, remember. Almost tempted to switch a red chi rho on a white field for the flag.
Plus you should think about colonial revolters.
My suggestions
Tir na nOg from Prydain
Nova Roma from Romans
Mexicia from Romans.
They should be somewhat generic, imo. I know there's people who have made culture-specific colonial revolter mods, but sod all if I know how to do that, so it's probably better to make generic revolters for the colonies. "Terranova" might be a good start-- maybe some reference to Rome or Constantinople might be suitable, in which case "Nova Roma" might work although I'd like to keep the "Nova ____"s down to a minimum.
Plus you should change it from Romano-Brittish to Britannian or Brittano-Romans
Why? Romano-British is well-accepted and accurate name for the culture of Roman Britain.
Try posting over there for advice.
Bloody hell, I never actually registered my copy of EU3. Where's my key?
Are you going to create a alternate history for your mod? You could always just post the finalized map and ask the AH board to come up with one!
I don't think I'll ever get a solid chronology down. Mostly it's just "Rome's rot is drawn-out over a prolonged period of time, strange and illogical things happen in the meanwhile".

Also, added in Wessex and Cent/Kent. Probably'll add in cores for Sussex, Essex, Mercia, maybe East Anglia. Maybe. Do Heptarchy cores make sense if there's still a Roman Britain? Maybe I'll just add them in without cores, so they can spontaneously appear halfway through the game.

Last edited:
Also, I think I fixed the mission problem. I finally added in a 'replace = "mission"' line to the .mod folder, so now it doesn't reference the vanilla missions at all and just looks at the barebones stuff I've got in.

And massive thanks to Dangimill for permission to use his "Republic of Carthage" flag to replace the vanilla TUN flag currently in for this mod's Vandalic Carthage.

Some tweaks I would propose,

- Remove those Dutch minors. Gelre and Utrecht can easily be a part of some Greater Friesland. Just like in OTL befpre the Franks arrived in the region.
- Brabant and Liege are better off as a part of Austrasia or even Flanders. As Liege is a Bishopric that probably wouldnt exist in this TL as it, besides in OTL the city of Tongeren was the actual seat of the Bishopric or Maastricht in Limburg until the 7th century or so.
Brabant is a name that existed since 1066 and thus weird to have in your Romans survive TL.
- This is the case with a bunch of those German minors as well. Cologne, Kleve, Westphalia and Munster/Osnabruck might be mixed together as a tribe?

Some tweaks I would propose,

- Remove those Dutch minors. Gelre and Utrecht can easily be a part of some Greater Friesland. Just like in OTL befpre the Franks arrived in the region.
Fair enough. I'd kind of like to keep Utrecht, though, just because I do want some one-province minors scattered around central Europe and bishoprics probably make more sense than little petty noble states here.
- Brabant and Liege are better off as a part of Austrasia or even Flanders. As Liege is a Bishopric that probably wouldnt exist in this TL as it, besides in OTL the city of Tongeren was the actual seat of the Bishopric or Maastricht in Limburg until the 7th century or so.
Brabant is a name that existed since 1066 and thus weird to have in your Romans survive TL.
As above, so here. Would it make sense to have an independent Limburg, then, and give everything else to Flanders or Austrasia?

What name should be used instead of Brabant?
- This is the case with a bunch of those German minors as well. Cologne, Kleve, Westphalia and Munster/Osnabruck might be mixed together as a tribe?
Westphalia I've been intending to keep independent, just because I also have Eastphalia in and would rather like to show off a bit. Kleve could totally go, though.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I'd kind of like to keep Utrecht, though, just because I do want some one-province minors scattered around central Europe and bishoprics probably make more sense than little petty noble states here. As above, so here. Would it make sense to have an independent Limburg, then, and give everything else to Flanders or Austrasia?

That's up to you. But yes having Limburg and Brabant would be weird to have. Austrasia would be the best choice. (IMO)

What name should be used instead of Brabant?

Eiter the Roman name for the Breda province which was Taxandria. Or Toxandria which was used later.
Brabant was originally a collaboration of the Counties of Leuven and Brussels. So perhaps a few names of Roman cities in the region.
Tongeren -> Tungrorum
Doornik -> Turnacum

Westphalia I've been intending to keep independent, just because I also have Eastphalia in and would rather like to show off a bit. Kleve could totally go, though.

Sounds good.

Faeelin

Banned
Fair enough. I'd kind of like to keep Utrecht, though, just because I do want some one-province minors scattered around central Europe and bishoprics probably make more sense than little petty noble states here.

I still like the idea of riffing on Carlton's idea, and making it set in the aftermath of not a slow decay, but a collapse of gradual central authority within the Empire. But YMMV.

That's up to you. But yes having Limburg and Brabant would be weird to have. Austrasia would be the best choice. (IMO)
Ergh. Giving Austrasia the southern Netherlands would make it pretty potent in-game from the start. Flanders, or make up a state and call it Norstria or summat?

Eiter the Roman name for the Breda province which was Taxandria. Or Toxandria which was used later.
Brabant was originally a collaboration of the Counties of Leuven and Brussels. So perhaps a few names of Roman cities in the region.
Tongeren -> Tungrorum
Doornik -> Turnacum

Sounds good.
I still like the idea of riffing on Carlton's idea, and making it set in the aftermath of not a slow decay, but a collapse of gradual central authority within the Empire. But YMMV.
If it's all just the collapse of central authority and not decay, then how much sense do all the semi-barbarian states with the borders of the former Empire make, then? That's my concern.

Faeelin

Banned
Looking at the map, I would say that the tribes were invited into the Empire and coopted during the crisis of the 4th-6th century, and there was some trouble, but Roman culture managed to coopt them, by and large.

A resurgent Empire in the High Middle ages managed to coopt them, but the tribal homelands remained independent/autonomous and the peoples of that region continue to see themselves as having a strong identity, even if they aren't that different than their neighbors. They might be noble republics or monarchies amidst a welter of administrative/merchant republics, which would be the independent city-states.

Ergh. Giving Austrasia the southern Netherlands would make it pretty potent in-game from the start. Flanders, or make up a state and call it Norstria or summat?

True, though Austrasia is my favorite Frankish state :D.
As for the latinsed name for Flanders. Perhaps Belgica or Belgea would be the easiest option?

As for Brabant & Limburg as provinces on their own Eburonea or something along those lines might fit well.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Map_Gallia_Tribes_Towns.png

Looking at the map, I would say that the tribes were invited into the Empire and coopted during the crisis of the 4th-6th century, and there was some trouble, but Roman culture managed to coopt them, by and large.

A resurgent Empire in the High Middle ages managed to coopt them, but the tribal homelands remained independent/autonomous and the peoples of that region continue to see themselves as having a strong identity, even if they aren't that different than their neighbors. They might be noble republics or monarchies amidst a welter of administrative/merchant republics, which would be the independent city-states.
That sounds like a good justification. I like it, thank you.

The next concern is the Papal States-- I don't want to get rid of the Papal stuff (excommunication is jolly fun) and I can't figure out how to get rid of the Papal-states-popping-up-in-a-Catholic-theocracy-willy-nilly-if-it's-not-present-on-the-map mechanism, so there's got to be a Papal States somewhere, but Rome's obviously taken. What to do?
True, though Austrasia is my favorite Frankish state :D.
As for the latinsed name for Flanders. Perhaps Belgica or Belgea would be the easiest option?

As for Brabant & Limburg as provinces on their own Eburonea or something along those lines might fit well.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Map_Gallia_Tribes_Towns.png
Eburonea sounds neat. I was thinking about saving Belgica for an alt-United Netherlands option, though.

The next concern is the Papal States-- I don't want to get rid of the Papal stuff (excommunication is jolly fun) and I can't figure out how to get rid of the Papal-states-popping-up-in-a-Catholic-theocracy-willy-nilly-if-it's-not-present-on-the-map mechanism, so there's got to be a Papal States somewhere, but Rome's obviously taken. What to do?

You could map mod a small province into the game in the middle of the current Latium province, call it the Vatican, and have the Papal states start the game with only it. Should probably start out as guaranteed by Rome.

Or you could go a rather anarchonistic route and have Avignon as the heart of the papal states.

How about this for Prydain? The black St Davids cross and the Byzantine cross is quartered with a purple cross to divide it.

North Rome.png

Ok, so I played as Hy-Brazil until 1500, tried to remember to take screenshots regularly. Eventually I got bored of doing nothing so I started colonising a bit, but I never got involved in any way with Europe, except for trading.

So here's a series of political maps:

I also have a screenshot of the religious map of Europe in 1500:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments... Things seem fairly balanced in western and northern Europe, and pure randomness seems to dictate who gets strong. Several countries grew powerful, then collapsed, and were replaced by another in the area.

In the east though the orthodox powers in the middle east are crushing the zoroastrian states in the area.

Actually, Christians destroying other religions seem to be a common theme in the game. What tech group are the Norse and Slavic pagans? The Zoroastrians?

There is also a slight problem with there being shamanists in northern Europe. From time to time a revolter will break free up there and form a shamanic country, which then everyone in Europe will get a colonisation CB against, and the country is gone within the year.

EDIT: I played at very hard, with high aggressiveness, no lucky nations and everything else on normal/default.

Ok, so I played as Hy-Brazil until 1500, tried to remember to take screenshots regularly. Eventually I got bored of doing nothing so I started colonising a bit, but I never got involved in any way with Europe, except for trading.

So here's a series of political maps:

I also have a screenshot of the religious map of Europe in 1500:

Comments... Things seem fairly balanced in western and northern Europe, and pure randomness seems to dictate who gets strong. Several countries grew powerful, then collapsed, and were replaced by another in the area.

In the east though the orthodox powers in the middle east are crushing the zoroastrian states in the area.

Actually, Christians destroying other religions seem to be a common theme in the game. What tech group are the Norse and Slavic pagans? The Zoroastrians?

There is also a slight problem with there being shamanists in northern Europe. From time to time a revolter will break free up there and form a shamanic country, which then everyone in Europe will get a colonisation CB against, and the country is gone within the year.

EDIT: I played at very hard, with high aggressiveness, no lucky nations and everything else on normal/default.
Egypt and Kiev! :eek: Hopefully this next update will do something about that-- need to finish up the Timurid stuff so Central Asia isn't just a highway between India and Middle East.

The Norse and Slavic pagans should be technologically Western and Eastern, respectively. Zoroastrians are, aside from the name and icons (which reminds me to fix the Karaite one), unaltered from the previous Muslims. Technologically they should be "muslim", too. I don't think they should be getting any penalties regarding research or combat. Perhaps some anti-Byzantine and anti-Roman missions need to be given to their neighbors. Hmm.

How about putting it in another one of the cities that accommodated the Pentarchy? Rome and Constantinople are out of the question, but that leaves Jerusalem, Antioch, and Alexandria.