Which TL is more interesting?

• Total voters
So I will have some free time in December and I have acquired some new books about the Roman Civilization and this gave some ideas for some possible TL's set in the Roman World.

Solis Invicti et Manus ad Ferrum - Surviving Aurelian and a Rome with Sol Invictus as the main God of the Pantheon.

Rex Romanus -
What if Rome had never become a Republic?

Fides Germanicus - Had he survived would Drusus Germanicus serve the Res Publica or the Augusti?

Claudius Augusti - born deformed Emperor Claudius was a shame for his family on his younger years, but his time as Emperor shows a intelligent and pondered man so what if he had lived to see his son Britannicus reach manhood?

Because I have decided to train my third person writing the story will be told from a third person POV.

Tell me what you think of the ideas and please vote.

I'd personally love to see a TL where the Romans somehow flourish as a Kingdom. Perhaps a constitutional monarchy type-system. Some institutional sense could be fun if this Roman Kingdom can become an Empire

I'd personally love to see a TL where the Romans somehow flourish as a Kingdom. Perhaps a constitutional monarchy type-system. Some institutional sense could be fun if this Roman Kingdom can become an Empire

Problem with Roman Kingdom is that we know about that very few if anything. Most of our knowledge is purely pile of legends and myths. And even if there really was Roman Kingdom, things would go to unrecongsible direction. Even that not be sure that Rome would develope as constitutional monarchy and/or empire.

Problem with Roman Kingdom is that we know about that very few if anything. Most of our knowledge is purely pile of legends and myths. And even if there really was Roman Kingdom, things would go to unrecongsible direction. Even that not be sure that Rome would develope as constitutional monarchy and/or empire.

Oh totally, but it creates really fertile TL soil. The elements that (supposedly) created the Republic being convinced that the constitutional monarchy is a good compromise. We wouldn't see Republican Generals like Julius Caesar in Gaul, we'd have totally different approaches to invasions. Having an alt-Caesar that declares himself King of Gaul rather than return? Or a Kingdom that uses Generals and military experience and loyalty to determine who should be the viceroys of the Kingdom.

My sources indicate that in the late VI, early V, century BC the formation of the Republic isolated Rome from the rest of Latium and that the Etruscans tried to do some sort of coup to put a Etruscan as King of Rome. It also indicates that both Helenic and Etruscan influences had begun to weaken in Rome and that the Etruscans were losing power.

Another thing is that the reason the Latins and the Romans made peace and Latium begun to be a Roman lead Federation was because the mountain people, the Samnits and the Lucans, went to dominate the Campania and the region of Pesto but they also indicate that there might have been a small period, maybe 5-10 years, of Samnit domain over Latium.

So its like RogueTrader said this period is great soil for a TL.

I would love to see if Rome had stayed a kingdom I however have really shoddy Early Republican History so I don't know nearly enough to want it like I do with an Empereor Britannicus. That said the Kingdom of Rome would be such a different animal than the republic and latter empire it would be super awesome to see.

I have decided to post some Teases from the TL ideas just to see the feedback.

I will just close the poll on Saturday so today I post the Solis Invicti et Manus ad Ferrum, tomorrow Rex Romanus, Thursday Fides Germanicus and Claudius Augusti on Friday.

All the texts will be post-POD, as I want to keep the POD scenario a secret because of Rex Romanus.

March 276 Kingdom of Armenia Vagharshapat​

"Dominus. News from Palmyra."

"What is it?"

"The Persians have left Ctesiphon three weeks ago. They have most likely advanced into Syria."

Aurelianus sighted at the news. He had expected the Persians to take longer to raise their forces, but now he would have to move.

"Bring us wine." He said to a slave, while motioning to Kaeso to come near him.

"How many?"

"Maybe some fifteen thousand, Dominus."

"Do not lie." The Emperor demanded. "They had the winter to prepare and we both know they will have more."

"I'm not lying Dominus." The Pretorian assured. "I spoke with Praefectus Aemilianus, before coming to you, Dominus. He says his men had brought him news that the barbarians from the Steeps have been attacking the Persians, that's why they have prepared sooner."

"Very well." As he spoke Aurelianus mind begun to work. Tiridates position wasn't strong enough yet and he need his flanks guarded.

Better to leave a strong vexillatio here to ensure that Armenia stays mine, but even if they are only fifteen thousand if I don't crush them now Syria will burn.´´

"Kaeso?"

"Yes Dominus?"

"Prepare the army to march. We will advance into Mesopotamia from here, force the Persians to leave Syria and to fight us in their lands."

"Yes Dominus."

As the Pretorian left, the Emperor ordered a slave to bring Aemilianus to his presence. He might trust both men but he still wanted to know why the Preafectus of his Frumentarii was so friendly with the Commander of his bodyguards.

Frumentarii - Roman spy service/secret police
Vexillatio - A legion detachment

Actually the idea of a surviving Aurelian too seems much interesting and I don't think I have seen a TL using Aurelian's reign as a POD. Would be intrigued if a TL with this POD is started.
We might not have the Roman Empire split this time around as it was later by Diocletian, as he might not even become Emperor in the TL.

I wouldn't mind seeing a surviving Drusus, though I should point out that there was no difference between the "res publica" and the principate.

Sorry for not posting the Rex Romanus teaser but Uny.

Here it is noon the less.

Rome 508 BC​

Rome was a city on the verge of anarchy. Sextus could fell it on the air as he walked towards the Temple Jupiter where the Senate had been convened.

As he walked the steps towards the Temple, Sextus was greeted by Gnaeus.

"Have you heard the news Sextus?"

"No what is it."

"Superbus has gathered an army among our allies. The King of Tusculum, Octavius, is leading them. I bet the bastard is hopping to place Superbus as king that way he will be the hegemon of Latium and not us."

Sextus stood in silent, outraged that Octavius, who had just moths before promised eternal friendship with Rome and its King, had betrayed them.

"I told you, and the rest, that we should had killed him. Now we will have to fight most of our allies."

"Most?"

"Octavius managed to bribe most of them into his field, some proved loyal but not enough. After this war we will have to think of a way to ensure that their loyalty will never falter."

"How did Collatinus reacted?"

"He swore to challenge his cousin to personal combat, and to bring his head to the Temple of Māvors."

Sextus nodded, agreeing with Collatinus reaction, if any man deserved to kill Superbus was him.

The two men kept speaking until Quintus Cloelius called, saying that the King had commanded all of the Senators to gather.

Sextus Furius Medullinus - if this is the chosen TL I will the the story from his eyes.

Gnaeus is the famous Gnaeus Marcius Coriolanus, which I decided to put as a friend and trusted companion of Sextus.

P.S. Thanks to all that voted thus far. As of the moment Aurelian's horse is winning with the Monarchy fighting Claudius for the second place while Germanicus' appears to not have recovered from his wounds.

Deleted member 97083

If you haven't decided yet, I really liked the idea you posted in the "Arminius takes the offensive" thread. It would be the coolest timeline ever.

This actually raises a really good question.

The Monarchy failed, the Republic failed and now the Principate (the Autocracy) as failed. What will the Romans do now?

I imagine that the Eastern border would suffer, Armenia might fall to Parthia (OTL Parthia subdued them in 37 and it took the Romans 10 years to get it back), Syria will most definitely be raided but I don't see the Parthians capturing Antioch and Judea might be a powder barrel having only been added to the Empire recently.

The client states in Mauritania might break free but Thracia is too close to Damaltia so those will be kept in check.

The Lusitanian tribes might give it another go at rebellion. They were finally defeated in 24BC so that's years to recover from the losses and with Rome burned and with the Empire in confusion I can see them another war. Most likely the northern iberian tribes would also try to revolt.

But in the end it all goes to who is in command in Illyria. Paterculus says that command of Dalmatia, in 9AD, went to Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, with Tiberius in Pannonia, but Dio says that Germanicus commanded in Pannonia and Tiberius in Dalmatia.

The only consistency is that both agree that Tiberius was in Illyria in 9AD.

Now this matters.

Germanicus, while popular by both the people and the army, doesn't strikes me as the ambitious type, if he was he would had fought Augustus in elevating Tiberius to heir.

Marcus Lepidus was by all account smart and a good soldier, managing the feat that his legions in Iberia didn't riot after Augustus death while the ones in Germania and Pannonia did, but most important he could play politics.

Tiberius is a bit of a wild card. He has only returned to power 5 years ago and given the way he ruled he never had any real love for the office of Principes and he never showed any liking for politics, but given that he is in command of the greatest Roman force in the area does he have a choice?

Independently of who is in Illyria with Tiberius he will have to either kill him and take command of the army or join forces with him. Either way the Romans need the army out of there and into Northern Italy as fast as possible.

But even if Rome gets back what will they do?

Monarchy was distasteful for them, the Republic is dead and buried and the Autocracy failed in the most spectacular way.

Maybe some kind of camouflaged Monarchy mixed with old Republican tradition?

Two men elected by the Senate to act as life Consuls but with the administration being kept in the hands of the Senate and the Consuls being glorified life long Generals?

Anyway one thing is certain. When Rome gets back on his feat, and it will they are still too powerful and ambitious at this point, the Germans and the Gauls are getting the full Lusitanian/Illyrian treatment. Prepare for massacres, mass enslaving and brutal tactics.

When Romans felt threaten, and in this case was threatened and in a Roman sense violated, its when they are they are the most dangerous. When they finish their revenge, and it doesn't matters how much time it takes (they really know how to hold gruges with Carthage being the best example), Germania and Gaul will be the greatest salt fields of Europe.

Anawrahta

Banned
Interesting discussion. An alternate scenario I've always been intrigued is a Roman state as a regional power that comprises mostly the Italian peninsula, coexisting and competing with neighboring powers such as Macedonia, Carthage, and possibly the Gauls and Illyrians(Given a respective wank and time). With a europe and mediterannean that is balkanized, what would be the future trajectory?

So guys I have decided to go with Sol Invictus et Manus ad Ferrum.

But because I have some work to do until wednesday I will post here the beginning of the First Chapter to get feedback

Imperator Lucius Domitius Aurelianus Augustus, it as a ring to it, doesn’t it?

But even if it doesn’t, who would dare to tell me such thing? I’m the Imperator, the one that has the imperium, and my wishes are orders. Or so those ass kissers from the Senate, would have me believe.

You see, being Emperor it's all about choices. The choice to believe in the shit men tell you, the choice to just tell the Empire to go fuck itself and the choice to die.

I chose neither of those.

I refused to believe in liars. I refused to allow the Empire to die. But most importantly I lived to tell it.

This is my history, my work. In this rolls I will tell the truth, that those around me refuse to admit, that the Empire is a corrupt best and that only Tiberius was wise enough to understand it.

In this rolls, I will tell the tale of how I saved the Empire from itself.

One thing if anyone decides to use any of the ideas I proposed in this thread they can use them at will.

Small point in direct address Dominus is Domine.

"Domine. News from Palmyra."

I would like to see Germanicus become emperor, and try to make moves to restore the republic and fail time and time again, until he gives up or is assassinated, lol.