Revolution! Or, A Victorian Cold War

What country should I cover once I've finished California?

• Total voters
The Japanese War
We've hit 200 posts! Here's the first post for the Japanese War arc! :D

------0------

Nuclear Age 1935-1959

Land of the Divided Sun: A History of Japan (1942-1999)
Avaline Yamamoto, Oahu University Press 2010.

The Empire of Japan has had a rather rough history. The ancient nation, having been ruled by the Yamato line since 660 BC has gone through periods of military rule, division and Communalist rule in the North. The latter of which can be traced to the division of Europe down ideological lines in the 1870's that only abated in the 1980's when the German regime came crashing down in the October Revolution. The division of Japan by the Allied Powers and their Communalist associates in the 1940's has been seen as one of the many rough points in Japanese history that still has left scars across the former DMZ that crosses through the countryside.

The first strirrings of trouble began in the early 1930's when the nascent Japanese Worker's Party began to accumulate votes in the rural areas of Northern Japan, this region was known to be a hotbed of spying activity between Japanese and Red Russian spies who were trading information on troop movements and armament production that was vital to the constant patrolling of what was known as the 'Pacific Front' of the Cold War where an ever-present naval blockade was enforced by the governments of the Allied Treaty Organisation and the newly formed Warsaw Pact. The blockade extended from the Russian coastline all the way to their fellow Russophones in Aleyska and went as far south as the Spice Islands in what is now the Moluccas Republic.

The rise of spy activity in the region continued to be an issue for the Japanese government. Emperor Hirohito had formed ties with British monarch King Edward VIII as an honourary member of the Allied Treaty Orginisation (South Japan would later become a full member after the Japanese War had ended), but the Emperor didn't want to jeporadise Anglo-Japanese relations by closing off the country to foreign interests. When the national elections went ahead in 1937, the Japanese Communalist Party, being influenced by the recent revolution in California, came out on top as the most popular party in the northern prefectures. Small scale rebellions against the government in Japanese Korea and Manchuria were also putting pressure on the government as the Communalists began to gain more power by threatening local leaders with insurrection if they didn't convince their constituencies to vote for the Party.

When 1940 rolled around, the Japanese Empire had put down a small scale rebellion by a radical group of Korean nationalists and was well on the way to a signing in a set of Acts that would promote the equality of the Japanese, Korean and Manchu languages in local governments. The Act was signed into law that year, granting the local populaces similar rights to that in the United Kingdom. More Red activity that was later found to be backed by a Russian spy ring was secretly leaked to the British government in an attempt to gain support from the Allied Powers. After the elections of 1942, the country had reached an ideological breaking point, the Communalists had taken over most of the northern half of the country while a recently unified Liberal-Conservative coalition government was unable to stop them, lest a Russian-backed invasion was to occur.

One event in particular would spark the powder keg that lead to the start of the war... The British Nuclear Program.

Map of Japan after the Japanese War (1942-1946)

ED0oSBq.jpg

The History of Scandinavia
Here's another Nation Profile! Don't forget to vote in the poll for what country you'd like to see me cover next! :D

------0------

History of Scandinavia

Scandinavia has long been known as the cold frontier of Europe where various Nordic kingdoms have fought over the right to rule the nations of the Peninsula. After years of constant fighting throughout the ages, the first attempt as unification was under the Kalmar Union, a Danish-led monarchy that was formed in the 16th century. The union eventually fell apart after the various Norwegian and Swedish feudal lords resisted against the Danish hegemony. Fast forward to the start of the 19th century and the Danish government had started to gain more power after the strengthening of the Dano-Norwegian Union under King Frederick VI of Denmark-Norway. Danish trade in the Caribbean was at an all time high as more money was invested into their colonies. Attempts at expanding into Africa however were starting to become less than profitable. Danish Ghana was eventually sold to the Dutch Africa Company in 1850 in exchange for 5 million Danish krone. Danish trading posts in the India Subcontinent (Two of the most-well known of them being Tranquebar and Calicut, both of which are still subject to Scandinavian sovereignty today) were allowed to continue however as the French and British monarchies signed a deal that allowed them to be considered independent city states under Danish (later Scandinavian) rule.

The Swedish Question was one of the more personal issues when it came to soverignty however. With the colonial issues in the Far East mostly being sorted out by the early 1810's, the problems of the Danish people were turned to that of the Swedish monarchy, or rather a lack thereof. The previous Royal Family that ruled over Sweden, House Holstein-Gottorp had recently died out due to the lack of an heir. The Swedish government reluctantly allowed King Frederick VI to take the throne of Sweden in 1818, becoming King Frederick VI of Denmark-Norway and Frederick II of Sweden. With the confirmation of a personal union under the House of Glücksburg, the newly united Scandinavian Realm was made official under the Treaty of Kalmar in 1845 creating what is now known as the Second Kalmar Union. The Scandinavians participated in the Crimean War in 1854, delivering a tactical victory via the Siege of Saint Petersburg that eventually forced an earlier Russian defeat than in OTL. Control of Ingria and the Kola Peninsula were handed over to the Scandinavian crown as special territories. Saint Petersburg was eventually given status as a City-State within the realm as a majority of the Russophone population fled after the handover. (The Crimean War was fought over Russian expansion into Polish-Lithuanian Territory ITTL instead of the status of Constantinople, which was under Greek control since 1836).

The liberal Scandinvaian government was seemingly too busy attending to monarchical duties when the news of a huge Communalist insurrection had taken hold in their southern German neighbour. A huge panic ensued across the nation as German backed Communalists arose in the mid 1880's after the German Communalist government had fully stabilised. Christian IX of Scandinavia fled across the North Sea with the majority of his cabinet and a small handful of citizens to Scotland where the British government welcomed them with open arms. Even to this day, there is a large percentage of Scandinavians (Mostly Danish, Swedish and Finnish descended) living in Scotland and Northern England (mostly York, being given the nickname of 'Jorvik' in reference to the old Danelaw). An active resistance movement began against the newly formed Communalist government as the Scandinavian monarchy and government waited out the Cold War for over 100 years until the restoration of the monarchy in 1989.

With the monarchy restored after a peaceful revolution in 1989, Queen Margrethe II of Scandinavia has led the government through the rise of a social democratic-liberal coalition that has turned the nation into one of the most economically stable nations in Europe. With the agrarian heart of the nation in Denmark and their industrial base in Sweden and Norway, the Finns have become known for their telecommunications industries as Nokia rivals companies such as Sony and BritTech (Think of a cross between Apple and Microsoft, but in the UK). Iceland, Greenland and the Faeroe Islands are known as the fishing regions of the Realm. Scandinavia has successfully risen from the ashes of Red rule into a stable functioning democracy that remains a benevolent power in Northern Europe.

Du gamla, Du fria...

"Du gamla, Du fria: A History of the North"
L. Bondevik. University of Copenhagen, 1999.

QtW8gKJ.png
N0TrCAO.png

iEUqa9c.png

Credit to whoever made the Coat of Arms on the flag and CoA. Everything else is mine.

Hm, so Scandinavia did turn Commie...

Seems like Saami Territory doesn't include all of Sápmi, though.

At least I tried. :p Any ideas for the next nation profile? I'll finish the Cali update and get stuck into a story update when I get the chance. But I'll be going away on holiday to Melbourne and Sydney for a week or two, so expect some inactivity from me for a bit.

At least I tried. :p Any ideas for the next nation profile? I'll finish the Cali update and get stuck into a story update when I get the chance. But I'll be going away on holiday to Melbourne and Sydney for a week or two, so expect some inactivity from me for a bit.
I'm looking forward to Quebec, but maybe I'm just curious about my birthplace. :closedtongue:

Otherwise, definitely Poland or France.

Japan Arc: Chapter 1
Nuclear Age 1935-1959

Former North/South Japanese DMZ. 6 kilometers north of Tokamachi, Empire of Japan, December 2015.

"Now, sure as the sun will cross the sky... This lie is over... Lost, like the tears that used to tide me over..."

"It's certainly an imposing sight, ain't it?"
one of the Agents muttered through an earpiece as Marcus perked up as he seemed to stare off aimlessly into the distance, beyond the old fortifications that had been neatly preserved for the past 20 years as a way to remind the younger generations of the division between North and South.

"Ja. It certainly is... Should we be here anyway? The Fraktion is running around and we're doing nothing, Herr Davison... And don't you dare bullshit-"

"You know as much as I do that the higher-ups are against direct intervention, it's not warranted at the moment and I think that the locals can handle it on their own." Marcus's superior, one Brian Davison, replied with a rather stern tone in his voice as the younger field operative approached him from the side, having taken off his earpiece before giving his associate a rather exasperated look on his face.

"At times, I do have to agree with you... But that Köhler bloke did mean business, did he not? What's next then? An assassination attempt on Her Majesty? The next CHOGM meeting is in three weeks and I'm not going to wait and watch as the Queen gets her bloody brains painted across the pavement..." Marcus let out a sigh after trying to keep his voice level as a few security guards glared in his direction. "Where's our contact anyway? He should be here by now."

Almost as if on queue, a man of clearly Japanese heritage approached the pair with a rather steely expression on his face. His bodyguard, a much younger man in his 20's wearing some sort of WWII-era uniform - from Marcus's point of view at least - cleared his throat before speaking.

"You must be Heinrich Mueller and Alec Jones, if I remember correctly..." the young man spoke with a rather reserved tone, seemingly confirming the stereotype to Marcus that the Japanese were indeed a socially conservative people.

The older man spoke up before glancing over to his aide. "Stand down, Kiku. I'll handle this from now on."

"Hai, Mister Tanaka!" Kiku said with a crisp salute before stepping aside, allowing Marcus to shake the hand of the elderly politician. The man smiled before speaking in an odd mix of RP English and Japanese.

"Welcome to the Wall, Mister Mueller and Mister Jones. We hope you've enjoyed your stay so far..."

Seems like Anglo-American influence is even stronger in Japan iTTL.

Don't you dare think I wouldn't notice Kiku, either. :biggrin:

I was waiting for you to see it. The influence is mostly Anglo, with cricket being the major sport in Japan as opposed to Baseball, but yes, there is a slightly more significant influence than IOTL.

History of California II
History of the California Republic Part III

Californian participation in the Japanese War was originally thought to be only that of logistics or as a mere gesture of political support. But recent high level talks with former Communalist party members have uncovered secret guerrilla operations on South Japanese forces that occurred from 1943-1945. Over that two year period, numerous Californian special forces that were all of Japanese descent were shipped to Sendai to work with the North Japanese military when the Red Army was facing issues with a lack of arms manufacturing. The influx of these soldiers and armaments gave the Red Japanese Army a boost when the Allied Powers were nearly at the gates of the capital.

japanese-soldiers-on-the-march.jpg

Californian-Japanese soldiers marching into Iwkia, circa 1944/

After the end of the war in 1946 and the somewhat permanent division of Japan between the Allied Powers and the Warsaw Pact, California began to scale back it's military spending as ethnic problems between the local Chumash People in the south of California and their Japanese and Anglo neighbours became more and more tense. In 1951, the Chumash autonomous region was dissolved and the native peoples were forced into internment camps due to the growing fear from local lawmakers that the Chumash were being supplied with American weapons, these accusations were later found to be faked by the PRC in an attempt to drum up a climate of fear by making enemies out of long time allies, most of which were religious or ethnic minorities. The Mormon religion was the next group to be on the receiving end of Frank Bohn's Cultural Revolution, their strict religious practices and their non-mainstream religious beliefs made them an easy target.

XM6kTYO.png

Flag of the People's Republic of California 1930-1996

The Californian government managed to stay allied with their German allies in far-off Berlin for another 20 years until the Economic Reform period of the 1970's led to huge economic and social reforms in the German Worker's Republic. These reforms angered the more conservative Californian politicians, and with the death of the pro-German Frank Bohn in 1975, a power struggled erupted in the later months of '75, leading to the Japanese Faction gaining power under George Takei, a young 39-year old moderate who signalled the end of the Californian-German Alliance (also known in the euphemistic sense as 'The End of the Great Alliance') in 1977 as the PRC drifted closer to North Japan and the recently independent People's Democratic Republic of Siam after the Siamese War ended in yet another Allied stalemate. The Cali-German Split would be known as the beginning of the end of the Communalist unity around the world as the Reformists clashed with the Conservative members both in the streets and in politics. Various student protests in both Europe, Asia and the Americas became to much to handle for most of the Red governments as the Western sanctions began to wear on the 100 year long conflict...

media-spotlight-1977-02.jpg

People's President George Takei (1976-1983)

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART VI

The Japanese War II
Land of the Divided Sun: A History of Japan (1942-1999)
Avaline Yamamoto, Oahu University Press 2010.

The detonation of the first nuclear weapon in Australia under the auspices of the British Imperial Government in 1936 was one of the first signs that the Cold War had indeed reached the point where the fate of functioning civilization was in the balance. The first use of nuclear power was used in Cardiff in the United Kingdom in 1925 after years of painstaking research from defectors such as Marie Curie (formerly of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth) various improvements on nuclear based energy had been circulating in the public eye for quite some time, while the rumours of weaponizing such a powerful energy source was kept as a secret that only the highest echelons of power in the European and American governments knew of.

6f96efd0a6645552b9120e473706954a.jpg

An image of the first nuclear weapon being detonated near Wutunugurra, Central Australian Territory, 1936.

But after the first nuclear weapon was detonated in the Central Australian Territory, the German government responded with their own nuclear weapon which was used in Scandinavian Svalbard one year later. With the buildup of nuclear weapons throughout the 1930's and 40's, the Japanese Communalist party declared the independence of the Japanese People's Republic on the 3rd of February 1942. War was officially declared within hours by the 'South Japanese' government. The British Empire declared their full support in an attempt to squash the Red government in the North. British naval assets in the Philippines, Malaya and Indochina started to move troops that had arrived from all four corners of the Empire. The French, American and Quebecois governments also declared support and began to ship troops off to the Orient.

The first major battle of the war involving Allied Forces was the Battle of Nikko on March 3rd 1942 when a Filipino-British command post just a few kilometers north of the front was suddenly attacked by a column of Red Japanese tanks and air support. The attack was repelled, albeit barely with US-Japanese support. The presence of Allied troops hadn't reached fully operational levels, only acting in an advisory manner as thousands of troops, many of them drafted into the war, came from both the British Empire, France and the United States.

Allied Troops began to operate in full capacity in April of 1942, but the momentum of the Red Japanese armies never seemed to stop as thousands of trained soldiers (now known to have been supplemented by Californian and Russian Ainu troops). Tokyo was under threat from Red artillery strikes as Emperor Hirohito was forced to flee for Manilla in the British Philippine Islands. The city of Tsukuba was surrounded in late 1942 as the Allied forces began to struggle against the onslaught of Red Japanese bombing runs. But Bernard Montgomery, one of the most famous war heroes from the Balkan Wars, had a plan that would lead to the end of the conflict as 1943 began to roll around...

Macarthur_hirohito.jpg

Emperor Hirohito and US General Douglas McArthur in Manilla, circa 1943.

The front seemed to turn in the Allied Powers favour however when various counterattacks by British aircraft and the US Pacific Fleet from the coast started to weaken the Reds with occasional landings deep into Communalist territory. Piecemeal gains were made throughout the latter months of 1942, but as the Red Japanese began to make gains towards Tokyo after the front remained static for most of the last three months, a decisive action was needed to break the will of the Red Japanese front, and Bernard Montgomery had just the right (or wrong) idea...

Hawker_Hunter_F6A%2C_UK_-_Air_Force_AN2269812.jpg

An RAF Hunter fighter-bomber armed with nuclear weapons, circa 1943...