Revolution! Or, A Victorian Cold War

What country should I cover once I've finished California?

• Total voters
Ugh, I feel your pain. Don't feel pressured to finish, I know how much of a pain those can be.

Hopefully if I can finish my Modern History assignment in time, I might be able to work on the latest Story update. I do plan for Marcus to meet his Revolution!-verse counterpart. Every Agent does tend to meet themselves somewhere along the line... ;)

Constantinople Arc: Chapter 5
"You keep living that dream... A dead dream... What are your intentions here? Bitte, we are both men of blut und eisen. Ja?"

"Blut und Eisen? You're smarter than I thought~" the Rote Armee Fraktion leader smirked as he lowered Marcus down to his feet. The man then looked towards Coustas with a glare that seemed to imprint itself upon the veteren's consciousness. "You, however... You're a threat to our plans!"

"H-hey, just leave the guy alone. We might be able to neogtiate with the authorities." Marcus stammered, hoping that his words weren't minced as the man turn to face him.

"Negotiate? We do not negotiate with the authorities... Violence is the only mean to achieve our revolution! This man has seen too much, Mister Wright. He was a servant of those degenerate wogs and Englishmen who fought a pointless war to keep their empires alive... While we were content to fund those Turks... But that's all in the past now, isn't it~?"

"How am I not suprised..." Marcus sighed as he moved a hand into his jacket, making sure that the RAF leader wouldn't notice as he reached for his old, but still functioning Luger pistol. "My family fought in the Great War... We shed so much blood for our Empire. For King and Country... Then the nuclear fires burnt it all away decades later. Now look at me, Mein Herr." the young man shot his opponent a grin before aiming his pistol at his head.

"Your pointless struggle against Die Fraktion is useless!" the RAF leader chuckled before looking over his shoulder to one of his fellow militiamen. "Gunther! Kill the boy and the useless old man! We leave for London tomorrow..."

"J-ja! Kommander Köhler!" the young man pulled out a gun that resembled a futuristic version of an old Sturmgewehr 44. The man then fired a few founds into Coustas's head, killing the man instantly. Gunther then turned to face Marcus, his hands in the air as he approached the man with a look of despair in his eyes.

"Take the bloody shot! I fucking DARE YOU!"

Marcus felt a single bullet rip through his shoulder, the one place where that damned Kevlar wasn't protecting. Everything went dark as he collapsed to the cold hard floor, knowing that he survived.

"I'm so sorry... Mein liebe..."

Balkan Wars Update V
The Rise and Fall of the Ottoman Empire
Melisa Yesilnil. Cambridge Journal of Contemporary Affairs, 1996.

Operation Overlord Part I (1927)

The final phase of the Balkan Wars was one of uncertainty as the Turkish armies seemed to hold the line at Constantinople. Persian gains in the East were still growing however as mass desertions began to spring up along the Turko-Persian Front. The Siege of Batman was one of the bloodiest sieges of the war with over 275-300,000 Turkish soldiers being killed as opposed to a mere 150,000 Persian soldiers. This Siege was a descsive victory for the Persian armies, giving the Allied Powers some much needed moral.

The Austro-Hungarian Front was nearly devoid of Turkish troops as Enver Pasha finally relented and pulled out most of the troops to defend Constantinople. The Siege of Dubrovnik was finally lifted in May of 1927 after the last of the Turkish armies were evicted from the edge of the city, having never broken through the ancient walls that surrounded most of the town. News had spread quickly throughout the Hapsburg realms that the Ottomans had fled to Constantinople in mid-April of 1927, giving the British, French and Italian navies time to put Operation Overlord into action.

Winston-Churchill-and-Kai-014.jpg

Winston Churchill (Background) with German Kaiser-in-exile Wilhelm II (Foreground) overseeing the troops in Venice, Austria-Hungary, circa 1926

Winston Churchill was a highly accomplished naval officer before the war, having served as First Lord of the Admiralty from 1911 to 1915. Churchill was selected as the Supreme Allied Commander alongside French Marshal Joseph Joffre and Austro-Hungarian Naval officer Maximilian Njegovan, with the trio being known as the 'Supreme Triumvirate' during the war. Churchill's plans of a massive naval invasion through the Dardenelles and into the heart of occupied Greek territory was seen as an insane prospect that might have destroyed his career if it had been proposed a few years earlier. But when the Ottoman Empire was at its weakest during the course of the war, the Royal Navy jumped at the chance and enlisted Churchill's strategic genius to draw up a plan of attack via the Dardanelles. Numerous false flag operations were used to distract Ottomans by suggesting possibly invasions of Cyprus, Ionia and Lycia. One famous operation by the name of Operation Mincemeat used the corpse of a Greek partisan under the pseudonym of Major Michael to plant fake information of an invasion of Ionia in an attempt to divert naval forces from the Dardanelles. These false flag operations were a success as the 9th Armoured Panter Division under the command of Cevat Çobanlı was pulled back to Ionia to defend the newly built Aegean Wall a series of anti-naval and infantry emplacements that were lining the Anatolian Coast. Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery was selected to lead a Commonwealth Contingent of mostly British and Australian soldiers to capture various beachheads and towns in the peninsula.

W1S3Gsy.png

Map of Landing Sites for Operation Overlord, circa 1927.

The landings began on June 6th, 1927. These landings signalled the end of the Greater Ottoman Empire and the death of Ultranationalism as a functioning political ideology.

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART II.

Balkan Wars Update VI
The Rise and Fall of the Ottoman Empire
Melisa Yesilnil. Cambridge Journal of Contemporary Affairs, 1996.

Operation Overlord Part II (1927)

Operation Overlord officially went ahead on June 6th 1927 as almost 250,000 Allied troops landed on the beaches of the Gallipoli Peninsula and quickly captured the beachheads withing mere hours of landing, despite facing heavy resistance from the Ottoman guns that were on the cliffs of the Peninsula. By the 7th of June, the Allied troops had advanced around 6-8 kilometres in land. Follow-up invasions of Lycia managed to open a new front in Anatolia, which quickly joined up with the advancing Greeks who'd manged to reclaim the entirety of Greek territory, sans their Anatolian holdings.

By late August of 1927, the Allied Coalition had managed to capture various Ottoman provinces, liberating death camps and gaining more support from partisans along the way. Winston Churchill was lauded for his achievements as British, French, Austro-Hungarian and Free Greek soldiers defeated the rag-tag Ottoman battalions who were surrendering en-mass to the Allied Council, some of them joining the Allies under the 'Free Turkish Army'.

Constantinople was surrounded in September of 1927, Enver Pasha was almost out of options. One of the most controversial options of the war was to launch shells containing Anthrax and Mustard Gas into the encroaching Persian, Allied and Free Greek lines, halting the advance until protective gear such as gas masks and other medical facilities could be built. The Allies, after seeing the horrors of Anthrax, Sarin and Mustard Gas on their troops, successfully banned the use of chemical and biological weapons by any Allied army for the rest of the war. Enver Pasha's paranoia only worsened during this time as the Grand Vizer wanted to fight to the last man if it meant keeping Constantinople out of Allied hands.

The ancient Byzantine walls of Constantinople were then overran by the Free Greek armies as urban warfare persisted. Despite the mass surrender from the Turkish armies in the city, remaining troops that were loyal to the Ultranationalist government continued to put up a fight that would last for the better part of two days as Pasha's compound in the ancient Orthodox Church (now a multi-faith centre and museum that hosts both an Islamic Mosque and an Orthodox Church) was barricaded and surrounded with the last few loyal generals who decided to stay with Pasha until the very end.

But by the time the Greek and British forces had reached the ancient house of worship, gunshots were heard inside the building before an ominous silence fell over the surrounding area. A few disheveled generals stepped out of the buildings with their arms in the air, clearly signifying surrender. One general spoke the lines that officially signified the end of the war...

Liberation_of_Istanbul_on_October_6,_1923.jpg

Free Turkish soldiers entering Constantinople, 1927.

"The Grand Vizer is dead and our country is broken. We officially surrender to your armies..."

The Turkish Instrument of Surrender was signed on the 26th of September 1927. The last of the pro-Pasha armies were hunted down by the end of the year as the terms of the Treaty were hammered out in the Palace of Versailles in 1928.

Terms of the Treaty of Versailles.
  • The remaining elements of the Turkish government must take responsibility for the war.
  • Constantinople must remain in Greek hands and the Megali Idea is implemented to it's full extent.
  • The Armenian peoples must be given lands that are at least 50% Armenian prior to the Genocide.
  • Judeo-Palestinian, Kurdish and Arab states must be created within 20 years of the signing of this document.
  • An Allied Occupation of Ankara must be in force for 10 years to oversee the transition of a democratic Constitutional Monarchy under the House of Osman.
  • Persia shall obtain land that borders the Persian Gulf.
  • The Straits Zone, Suez Canal, Sinai Peninsula and the island of Cyprus shall be demilitarised for 25 years.
  • Cyprus is handed over to both the United Kingdom and the Interim Greek Government as a Condominum to be shared until a Greek handover in 20 years.

dose anime exist in this world and also what is pop culture and international culture in general like in this world.

dose anime exist in this world and also what is pop culture and international culture in general like in this world.

Popular culture is a bit weird ITTL, some shows that we know of do exist either under their OTL names set in different countries ala French Trafalgar, British Waterloo. But some series on the other hand go under different names due to where they're filmed ITTL and have different actors and/or plot points. Certain genres have stuck around longer than OTL while others are completely non-existent due to this TL being dominated by British pop culture as opposed to American culture. Most of the international culture is based off of the 'British system' so to speak. Instead of the Republican ideas being widespread in Europe and the rest of the world by the 20th century, monarchism is the predominant form of government in the region due to the longevity of the British Empire. Republicanism is seen as a distinctly American thing ITTL.

And in response to your first question, anime does exist and is more widely accepted OTL - but still isn't mainstream - due to the Japanese War of 1942-1946 and the ensuing diaspora that stretches from Great Britain, the Kingdom of Hawaii, Australasia, Korea, California (with Japanese being the third official language there) and Transvaal.

History of California I
The update to the storyline shall come soon, but to start the Japanese War arc prematurely....

------0------

History of the California Republic Part II

After the Gold Rush and the influx of Japanese, Chinese and Tagalog-speaking immigrants came to an end in the 1850's, Californian society was starting to free itself from the frontier mentality that it had gained during the Gold Rush. While the rest of Europe was fighting over whether liberalism or reactionaryism would prevail, California began to trade with its neighbours, offically opening trade deals with Mexico, Texas, the United States and Colonial Aleyska in 1850. The business empire that the Californians are most known for in the modern day can be attributed to the rise in Pacific trade by the various companies both privately and government owned. San Fransisco has since been known as the 'Gateway to the Orient' due to their initial domination of trade in the region.

The start of the 20th century was challenging for the California Republic as social and political unrest caused by a recent recession gave rise to the previously banned Communalist Party that was known to have been funded by various German collectives in San Fransisco. One political leader by the name of Bill Haywood rose to power on a platform of social and economic equality. Haywood was fully aware of the fact that his party, the CCP was infiltrated with Vorbeckist ideologies that aimed to bring down the Republic and set him up as a puppet government that was subervient to the German Reich in Europe. The idea of subservience to Europe was unacceptable in Haywood's eyes as he managed to convince Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck to have the People's Republic of California (PRC) on equal standing with their German allies.

The Californian Civil War offically started on the 1st of August 1927 as the National Congress was stormed by elements of the Californian Defence Forces, some of them using German uniforms and weaponry that were suplied to them by the Vorbeckist government. President Herschel L. Carnahan was shot after being forced to kneel in front of Haywood as a sign of domination of Communalism over the supposed evils of a democratic government. Remaining elements of the Californian government fled San Fransisco and eventually found asylum in the British Protectorate of the Sandwich islands (aka the Kingdom of Hawaii) and operated as a government-in-exile until 1996.

The Civil War ran from 1927 until 1930 as the Red Californian Armies swiftly defeated their ill-prepared Republican foes. The old Bear Flag was lowered on the 1st of August in 1930 on the 3rd anniversary of the war and the People's Republic of California was proclaimed, with an aging Bill Haywood as President-for-life. Haywood later died due to complications from alcoholism in 1934, leaving his sucessor, one Frank Bohn, as the new Dear Leader of the People's Republic. The United States of America officially condemmed the new government that year and began the construction of the California Wall a huge border fence that ran across the entirety of the US-California border, manned on both sides with snipers, landmines and routine patrols that shot any defectors on sight.

The Japanese War in 1942 brought some much needed relief for the California Republic as the nation had only just started to come out of the initial shock that the Great Depression of 1931-1942 had caused for both the government and the global economy as a whole. The Californian government unoffically sent a few highly trained spec-ops soldiers that were of Japanese descent, making it one of the only times in history that both sides of the Cold War were technically in direct combat with each other. Californian pilots that flew during the war were known as some of the most highly skilled and dangerous enemies to face whilst in the air, but their complicity was only exposed after the fall of the California Wall in 1996...

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART III

------0------

EDIT: Also, for those who want a reference of what some portions of San Fransisco and the Republic at large would look like ITTL, just think of the Pacific States of America from The Man in the High Castle - albeit with a large Anglo-Hispanic population alongside it. Althought it gets more Anglo or Hispanic the further East or South you go. I might do a map of predominant ethnicities in the region when I get access to my own computer...

Last edited:
Constantinople Arc: Chapter 6
Who's up for a trip to Japan~? ;)

------0-----

Somewhere in Eastern Constantinople...

"Oh no, not me... I never lost control... You're face to face... With the man who sold the world..."

Marcus slowly awoke to the sound of one of his seemingly ancient cassette tapes blaring out some old song from before his world was turned to ashes. The light lazily filtering through the windows immediately signalled to the man that it had been a few hours since the attack, or a few days depending on how long he was out for. He could hear muffled voices coming from another room, one of them had a familiar ring to it as the argument grew louder and more heated. A young woman then burst into the room with a clearly stressful look on her face, muttering something in a German-influenced Afrikaans.

"Always sticking your neck out for others, cousin?" the young woman sighed as she noticed her 'cousin' sitting up in the small hospital bed. Marcus's eyes widened upon laying eyes on the beautiful young woman that was his cousin, albeit this twisted world's version of her. In his home timeline, she was an accomplished journalist for the NBBC who made an attempt to make the organisation more than just a mouthpiece for their King, this version was almost the same, although she'd swapped out a somewhat corrupt organisation for that of constant attacks by the Red Army Faction.

"Gott... I thought I'd never think of seeing you here... Frankie~" Marcus replied with a smirk in fluent Afrikaans, although his cousin noticed the odd tinge of German in his voice as he slid into an aristocratic RP English accent. "You must've been here on official business, ja?"

Francine de Klerk narrowed her eyes for a moment as she noticed the subtle change in accent. "Have you been spending too much time with the Kaisers again?" she sighed as she kept her calm demenour. "I was in the area for the Rememberance Day services at Gallipoli. Seeing that you were back home at the estate, I thought nothing of it..." The Afrikaner's voice trailed off for a moment as she faced him with a suspicious glare before moving her face close to his before talking in a hushed, if forceful tone that she was known for. "You're not the real Marcus, aren't you? Your accent doesn't help and that Walkman over there certainly doesn't either. If you've kidnapped him, you're going to pay for it, dearly."

"Nein, young lady. I'm nothing of the sort... But now that you know, I guess you'll be the first. I work with an organisation that is interested in the state of affairs of this place. I am Marcus, I'm just another version of him." Marcus spoke with almost no change in tone in an almost calm demenor that put Frankie at ease. She looked at him with a raised eyebrow and gave him a warm smile before pulling him into a tight hug, making the young man wince slightly. "Frankie... My arm..."

"Oh, sorry..." she said sheepishly, noticing the gunshot wound that had gone through her cousins right arm. The area was bandaged and had a pressure pad on it to stop the bleeding. The Afrikaner also noticed another wound that had healed long ago, albeit on his left shoulder. "What have you been doing...?" she sighed as she noticed a few more cuts and bruises that had come about due to his government work or his more classified operations with the Agency...

"It's fine... I've tanked worse" Marcus replied as Frankie stood up and turned to face the door where one of his fellow operatives was standing.

"Look, I better go... Just don't run into yourself or Fraulein Ackerman...." Frankie waved at her cousin as she walked out of the door as the older Agent stared at her for a moment.

The young man looked at Marcus for a moment before sighing, he knew that he would be face to face with someone that he knew in his home timeline. Every Agent had had similar encoutners in the past anyway. It was usually seen as a risky, but normal part of working with an organisation that straddled the Multiverse. "Consequences be damned..."

"I guess we both need to explain a few things, isn't that right, Marcus?"

Last edited: