Renovation: An Eastern Roman Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOt!!! this tl is back. I liked this chapter, and the schismatics capturing Rome is going to have some interesting consequences

I know I've already told you in the Other Place, but excellent update. It'll be extremely interesting to see where things go if the Avignon Papacy ends up being the proper papacy....

Just had to re-catch up on everything that was going on here. I was previously reading Age of Miracles, so I am definitely enjoying reading about the ERE.

France is not going to have a fun time bleeding out in Italy while facing the Bohmen-HRE back when the HRE could still marshall a ton of troops.

Last edited:
I love how this started a Europe-wide war. The Romans should hopefully get away easy, and as a bonus they won't have to worry about Naples for a while.

Deleted member 67076

Thank you, thank you!

France is not going to have a fun time bleeding out in Italy while facing the Bohmen-HRE back when the HRE could still marshall a ton of troops.
Ayup. Yet at the same time Bohemia, will have fun time splitting their forces to rescue the Papal states from heretical forces.:p

I love how this started a Europe-wide war. The Romans should hopefully get away easy, and as a bonus they won't have to worry about Naples for a while.
Well they still gotta deal with Karaman, which is no joke.

Why isn't Aragon getting in on this war? The timing seems good to expand Sicilian rule once more to the mainland, given the invasion of the Papal States by Naples.

Deleted member 67076

Will Naples become Italy, then?
Too soon to tell. Forming Italy is hard.
Why isn't Aragon getting in on this war? The timing seems good to expand Sicilian rule once more to the mainland, given the invasion of the Papal States by Naples.

2 reasons. 1 is that technically Aragon and Naples are both on the same side in the Western Schism, with both being loyal to the Pope in Avignon. 2 is, the Aragonese aren't in a position to launch a naval invasion. The Genoese brutally wrecked their fleet a few decades back in their bid to expand as the trading hegemony in the Western Mediterranean. Historically, the two never got along until the formation of Spain, and here there's much more antagonism what with Genoa being much more aggressive.

GdwnsnHo

Banned
Whilst any potential gains against Karaman are all good - I can't help but hope that in a lovely twist of fate, that the Romans get a trading quarter somewhere in Italy - ideally in Genoa or Venice - but Syracuse would certainly do.

Speaking of Venice, did that city-state have its own Renovation?
Not sure it ever will.It's now surrounded by big players with it's only advantage,trade,being completely taken away.Sure they will have some recovery,but I highly doubt it will ever be anything other than a regional power like the Grand Duchy of Tuscany from OTL for example.It's got very little actual territory after all,not incomparable to the ERE just before the final Siege of Constantinople.The good thing of course is that it is a part of the Catholic community and surrounded by Catholic states,unlike the ERE.

Not sure it ever will.It's now surrounded by big players with it's only advantage,trade,being completely taken away.Sure they will have some recovery,but I highly doubt it will ever be anything other than a regional power like the Grand Duchy of Tuscany from OTL for example.It's got very little actual territory after all,not incomparable to the ERE just before the final Siege of Constantinople.The good thing of course is that it is a part of the Catholic community and surrounded by Catholic states,unlike the ERE.

True, and that's still cool.

Yes, Venice is odious, doesn't change the fact that they're great artisans and manufacturers.

GdwnsnHo

Banned
True, and that's still cool.

Yes, Venice is odious, doesn't change the fact that they're great artisans and manufacturers.

Personally, I think it'd be a lovely twist of fate (and/or storytelling) for the Romans to have a trade quarter in Venice - and use it as one of their major trade hubs, specifically for trade in N.Italy, S.Germany, and the NW.Balkans - at least whilst they can't claim control of the Danube.

Doing this, and extending their protection to Venice could be worthwhile.

1) To preserve their artisans, they still have talent after all (in fact, I can't remember if the Arsenal has been built, but taking those designs across Rhomania is a grand idea)

2) Foothold in N.Italy. As far as I know Venice isn't under the rule of the HRE, one of the few places in N.Italy where that statement is true. Putting them under Roman protection, and later Roman rule - could have major benefits for Rome and Venice

3) For Venice - a Venetian-Roman trade relationship would be powerful - Venetian merchants under Roman colours would be able to revitalise Venice, and once considered Romans, have full access to the markets of the East.

In fact, such an arrangement would allow Venice to recover (maybe not as strong as they once were), but still maintain a strong reputation as a naval city, traders, and marines.

But I can't recall if there are any major reasons this would be an impossible long term solution.

Personally, I think it'd be a lovely twist of fate (and/or storytelling) for the Romans to have a trade quarter in Venice - and use it as one of their major trade hubs, specifically for trade in N.Italy, S.Germany, and the NW.Balkans - at least whilst they can't claim control of the Danube.

Doing this, and extending their protection to Venice could be worthwhile.

1) To preserve their artisans, they still have talent after all (in fact, I can't remember if the Arsenal has been built, but taking those designs across Rhomania is a grand idea)

2) Foothold in N.Italy. As far as I know Venice isn't under the rule of the HRE, one of the few places in N.Italy where that statement is true. Putting them under Roman protection, and later Roman rule - could have major benefits for Rome and Venice

3) For Venice - a Venetian-Roman trade relationship would be powerful - Venetian merchants under Roman colours would be able to revitalise Venice, and once considered Romans, have full access to the markets of the East.

In fact, such an arrangement would allow Venice to recover (maybe not as strong as they once were), but still maintain a strong reputation as a naval city, traders, and marines.

But I can't recall if there are any major reasons this would be an impossible long term solution.
That's only true in name.In fact,all of Northern Italy is de facto independent of the HRE.

Status
Not open for further replies.