What would you like me to focus on for future chapters?

• History of the early West Baltic (1950s-60s)

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • History of the late West Baltic and modern Prussia (1980s-present)

Votes: 92 60.9%
  • Miscellaneous Information (please elaborate)

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Waifus. :3

Votes: 42 27.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure I could fit in some information. I figured out a way to do it without messing with the plot progression. Besides, I'm eager to info dump too. :)
Sounds good :)

Yes, Russian is, so far, the lingua franca, and one of the main languages of Prussia. However, it has to share official status with various other languages used by other ethnic groups, and even its status as the lingua franca is now threatened by English. But so far, Russian is still used as the administrative language on all government levels, with whatever language that suits the demographics catered by local grassroots and governments.

As for de-Russification, the process actually started well before with the bilingual policy in the education system, though with a very heavy emphasis on Russian still. It's only once independence hits that the need to hammer a separate national identity ASAP became vital, and it's pretty hard to simply slam ethnic Russians as a fifth column when they're the largest ethnic group in Prussia, not to mention other Russophones. It wasn't easy, but it worked out.

Also, being the Russophone EU member made Prussia a magnet for new citizenship applications from Russian-populated regions in the Baltics. It's slightly frightening for Riga and Tallinn in particular, where parts of their country had become virtual Prussian enclaves, but slightly less scary than Russian tourists. ;)

This makes sense. Thanks for the answer!

Given the rising role of the English language worldwide, I expect it will soon displace Russian as the lingua franca in Prussia.

Sounds good :)

This makes sense. Thanks for the answer!

Given the rising role of the English language worldwide, I expect it will soon displace Russian as the lingua franca in Prussia.

No problem. :3

I feel like I'm spamming here... Just to ask before my exam period ends (and I can get back to this), would you guys prefer I carry on the storyline as per normal (plot-heavy), or would you rather I start giving some more info on the country? I can't help but feel like I'm boring everyone with plot development. :V

In case of last post syndrome

Last edited:
Chapter 3-4 Preview
Apologies for the ridiculous wait. I am still stuck on the last part, and busy with work, so here's a preview. Hopefully, I can get over my block. :V

Budapest Keleti railway station
Budapest, Hungarian People's Republic
21st October, 1956

640px-Budapest_East_Station_2.jpg

Budapest Keleti, one of three terminals serving the capital of Hungary. The eastern gateway to the capital alongside Nyugati (the western station) and Déli (the southern station), Keleti remains active as usual, travellers shuffling about with their luggage as they prepared to board.

But a different atmosphere had set in of late, as few passengers alight from its stations. Political turmoil in the country has reached fever pitch, and those with deep pockets and generous ties to the regime were itching for a ride out. Watching the half-empty train rolled to a halt in front of the platform, the officer could already feel the fear and anxiety leeching into the cold autumn breeze. The ushanka and coat doing little to block the icy winds, he awaited with a slighly sour expression as the new batch of commanders began pouring from the train, most of the greenhorns, likely to face their first 'test' on the field.

“Bastards,” the dark haired lad grumbled, overhearing the excited chatter among the junior officers about the chance to 'shoot some rebels', “this isn't some game hunting. No different from Poznan.[1]”

“Let the men talk, Kaukenas,” grunted his ashen-faced superior, a gruff elderly man with wild frazzled hair, the years of war written over his bare wrinkles and scars, “they'll sober with experience.”

Glaring at the chatter, however, nothing on the lad's face suggested he believed a single word. The incessant Mat littering the air, the sadistic cackle at getting a shot at a battle... There was little reason for him to sympathize. To him, the privileged cadets from Moscow have no idea. They have no understanding of the periphery of their vast empire, nor care of the whims of the folks there. Rubbing his eyes, he had half the mind to interrupt. But marching in to tell off a bunch of Moskals would probably leave him barraged by yells and shoves, not to mention shameful to his superior officer.

“...you sure you can take all that, Valeriy,” a voice echoed among the disembarking passengers, as a wandering captain with a suitcase was pacing behind an aide-de-camp overloaded with bags.

“No, no, Sir. This is nothing,” the hapless junior uttered in a cracked voice, straining to keep the bags off the ground as he hauled them like dumbbells, “I wouldn't- I wouldn't want to burden you, Sir. I consider it training!”

Frowning at the sight of the helpless boy, the captain appeared to have relented against letting his subordinate burden himself. Pacing back, he tersely demanded the boy to hand over his own luggage to ease his load. Watching as they fumbled for custody, Kaukenas could only purse his lips. Needless to say, it cemented his opinion of the arrivals quite neatly. A mess waiting to happen.

“I somehow doubt that, Colonel,” he admitted to the elder World War veteran, “wouldn't mind seeing the ranks thinned of silver spoons, though.”

Mikalos Kaukenas had no reason then to think much more of them. The Muscovite elites had always dominated Soviet politics. It hardly changed since the days of Lenin, and it was hardly going to change now. Being in the periphery of a Russocentric system, He, of all people, had had to contend with living under the iron grip of Soviet rule, abandoned by the capricious West in exchange for an uneasy peace with what they viewed was a lesser evil than Nazism.

And yet, somehow, that 'lesser evil' never seemed marginally any better by the day...

1. 1956 Poznan protests, barely months from the Hungarian Revolution.

UawJG45.png

Last edited:
IT'S ALIVE
I'm glad you haven't abandoned this timeline. Great update!
"The lesser of two evils is still evil. And the enemy of my enemy is not my friend."
Penn Jillette
I never intended to drop this. I've been jotting down a lot of details for use in later parts whenever I could, but I had trouble getting this specific part down, mainly due to the difficulty of making drama out of it. Hopefully, that would change. :3

Chapter 3-4
God it's been long... Had to play this over and over to get the mood up. >_>

_____________________________​

Budapest, Hungarian People's Republic
23rd October, 1956

'Hey love,

I hope you and Junior are doing well. Pretty sure the censors are going to black out a lot of things again, but I think you can guess what's going on. Barring the illegal gatherings, heckling and tense army presence around our barracks, things are still pretty normal so far. No one has been shot dead yet, so I count that a bonus, but I can't say this won't stay the same. The officers in the meeting still think they're planning a revolt, but I don't feel that way. If anyone's provoking them, it's us. I... tried suggesting talking to them, but the senior officers simply stated I'm way over my head. I'm pretty sure you'd say the same.

Nonetheless, I really wish someone in the government wouldn't just stick their fingers in their ears and try to speak to them. If their concerns are reasonable, then there's no reason we shouldn't address them. From what little I know, they're simply mad over the economy. In that case, shouldn't the answer to it is make it better? Perhaps I could prove the trigger-happy folks wrong. I hope I'm not doing anything crazy myself.

Love you,
Yevgeny'

Looking over the scribbled writing on his desk, Yevgeny could already see the black bars painted all over the letter. Ever the astute insider in the workings of Soviet information control, Sara had warned him in no uncertain terms not to put his grievances in writing. Yet, every chance he got to finally send a letter, he wound up putting up a long list of grievances that could not only damn him, but bore his wife to tears, whichever was worse. Wiping his face, the hapless lad set aside the paper as he tried to put his pen on yet another sheet. But nothing suitably nuanced seemed to come to mind, no matter how he tried to commit to self censorship.

“'Hey love. I'm perfectly fine. Nothing of importance happening here. Hope to see you soon', he rehearsed to himself, a tinge of sarcasm boiling in his throat, “yeah, right. She'll never buy that. She never buys anything. Must be an occupational hazard or something.”

Come again?

Turning his back, he found Valeriy stepping in, still in full uniform with his officer cap in his arm. Saluting to the youngster, his superior blurted, “oh, nothing. Just writing a letter to my wife. She gets on edge every time I go overseas. You know how wives are.”

“Madam Oh Sa-Rang, I presume,” Valeriy concurred, “my brother told me. She used to be your superior officer back in Korea during the Fatherland Liberation War[1]. Kind of surprised she would let that go to be a housewife, though my brother seemed to believe she still does... unofficial business.”

“Yea, I hate it when people keep saying that,” Yevgeny grumbled, sulking a bit at the duplicity, “it's like one of those mind games that keep people guessing who's who. Anyway, what's up.”

“Oh,” the lad responded, stepping forth as he handed a file over, “orders from HQ. They want you to investigate the disturbances in Budapest and report on possible causes and potential subversives within the ranks.”

“In short,” Yevgeny griped, swiping a quick glance through the files as he slapped it on his table, “they want to make shit up and blame 'Western-aided counter-revolutionaries' for the riots. Is that what they're saying?”

It was a careless slip, and on hindsight, Yevgeny should have probably kept his temper down. However, whatever facts he ended up finding on his investigations tended to be distorted for public viewing anyway, demanding another bout of creativity as he spun another propaganda piece for the papers to distribute. Being a peon in the cog of the state internal security mechanism, he could scarcely imagine what was going through the mind of the bureau head, Ivan Serov, and his taskmasters in Moscow[2]. No doubt, putting a suitable stooge in position and crushing the dissidents would be the prime directive. After putting up with such dubious duties, Yevgeny believed himself familiar to their antics all too well.

“Come again,” blurted Valeriy, looking a little confused. Rubbing his eyes, Yevgeny quickly corrected himself, stating, “sorry. A bit stressed of late. Most likely, the leaders were being encouraged by Western propaganda, or even actively aided by them. Pointing them out and disrupting their attempts to communicate to the Red Army would be our priority. I'm going outside.”

“Wait, are you mad,” blurted the panicked aide, “it's dangerous right now, at least let me join-”

“It's too dangerous to ask you to come,” Yevgeny interjected grimly, “you'll only blow our cover.

Changing out his uniform for a simple vest, shirt and pants, the unusually serious young man was going back undercover. It was a whole lot harder to do in Korea, when it was plainly obvious to the Asiatic civilians in Pyongyang that he was an advisor. Here, he believed he might get a little leeway with his barely passable Hungarian.

Outside, as it would turn out, was a whole lot angrier than him, and not any easier to fool...

UawJG45.png

Part 4

The dark, shadowy streets outside the army cordon was nothing short of eerie. Bereft of civilians, save for a few brave souls, the city looked besieged, its inhabitants hiding under cover, afraid of the carnage to come. But the line between the besiegers and the besieged had blurred to barely recognizable levels. Like the Alesia battlefront, both sides are encamped within each other like a coiled snake on its tail. The loyal Stalinist government cornered by the hostile Hungarian revolt, and the entire Warsaw Pact around Hungary itself.

Wandering in the night, Yevgeny tried hard not to reach for his concealed pistol in his jacket. It would not have taken much to expose a plainclothed officer if he were carrying a weapon in the open. Even then, the hapless lad could not help but dart his eyes for danger, at the very least looking for looters trying to go for an easy robbery. The silence proved deafening and frightening with each step, his heart pounding in his ears as he tried to find at least some people.

As it turned out, the people were just nearby.

dyS7exd.png

Almost as soon as he entered the 'twilight zone', the din in the air began to pick up almost instantly. Ahead, a sea of anger swarmed around a radio station heavily guarded by armed soldiers. Banners and holed flags – Hungarian flags with the communist coat of arms cut out - fluttered in the air screaming for blood as the citizenry chanted slogans against their communist enslavers. For someone who needed to find the 'root cause', Yevgeny could clearly hear the grievances in the air. The problem was, their pleas had become tainted with bloodlust, a virulent anger against their leaders and their Muscovite puppet masters, the very state apparatus Yevgeny himself was a part of. Adjusting his collar, he was not sure whether he could leave while he was still not spotted. Running would have created suspicion as it were, but even walking away might have made him appear like a communist sympathizer (a charge Yevgeny was obviously guilty of).

“This evening,” the speaker announced in front of the crowd, braving the grim-looking cordon around the station, “the 'good' First Secretary Ernő Gerő has denounced the peaceful movement for Hungarian liberation as a Western ploy! He has damned us as traitors to the revolution, and has denied the people he and his cronies had sworn to serve the right to decide our own fate! Foreign policy, economics, and all manners of society are to remain under Muscovite tyranny! How long are we to tolerate the machinations of the Soviet dictatorship and their puppets!? How long must our children and grandchildren be force-fed the lies and deceit of communist avarice! We do not desire to subject ourselves to American slavery! We desire to hold on to our own destiny! Freedom to speak against tyranny and injustice! Freedom to decide our friends and trade partners! Freedom to think beyond the closed cell of Marxist dogma... Is that unlawful! Is that right a crime for the so-called 'free people' of the Union!?”[3]

The demands, as the speaker declared, was to Yevgeny's blunt honesty, reasonable by Hungarian perspectives. No people wished to break under the rule of a foreign power. No patriot would desire to serve the interest of foreigners over their own. But Yevgeny had always thought that, for all its faults, the Soviet government would never think to covet the wealth of Europe for itself so greatly. It defied the very notion of Marxist-Leninist ideology that expoused against it. It was pure nationalism in itself.

But nowhere in the Soviet Union had Yevgeny seen anything that suggested any adherence to their words. Everywhere, Soviet interests, in particular Russian interests, trumped those of its constituent states. Everywhere, the identities of its myriad minorities were overwritten by the faux-internationalist agenda of Russian culture and language. Even Stalin himself, a Georgian by birth, was Russian to his very core, a cold, hardline utilitarianism that placed himself above all others, and the Russians above the rest. Perhaps, if Yevgeny had not met Sara, he might have believed in his country's own lies. But Sara was living proof of the toxic effects of Russification, unable to pronounce her own Korean name properly, let alone speak the language of her fathers. Just as the Tsars had before, his own government was not only robbing itself of its diversity, but saw it as an end to unify the 'equal republics', perhaps making it redundant in a Russian nation-state. Now, the Soviets were free to pillage Eastern Europe of their so-called rightful spoils. The damage done to the union in the war was great, but the sacking of its liberated states was hardly just the acquisition of reparations. It had been a decade and more since the end, and peace, however unstable, had returned. But the Soviets never left Eastern Europe. Instead, they now held on to its reins like covetous merchants, no less different than the capitalists they claim to fight against.

Should that, he grudgingly complained, be the end goal he should fight for?

Biting his knuckle as he heard the vitriol grow, the hapless lad took a step back as he surveyed the situation. He could see the crowds mobilizing to march, likely to their very doom. He could feel his legs stuck on the spot, arguing between itself whether to block their way or move aside for their owner's safety. Cold sweat ran down his head as he tried to think of an alternative. Without warning, the hapless lad slipped on the cobblestone road as he fell on his bottom. As a few eyes glared back, he cringed at their bewildered reaction. Were they going to storm the station? Were they going to surround him?

Unexpectedly, he felt his arm pulled up as a stranger helped him up without a word. A young blonde girl with thick eyebrows, she was dressed in a pure white fur coat and woolly hat as she jovially dusted him off. Nervous, the lad was not sure if she was a protester, unwilling to accept her sudden help. Forcing a smile, he stammered in what little Hungarian he could, “t-thanks. I-I can get up on my own.”

“No problem,” the girl said nicely, peering to see if the protesters' attention had shifted back, “always happy to help.”

Looking over the angry crowds, the girl mused, “a frightening sight, isn't it? When the will of the people is rallied to a singular goal...”

“Yea...” he blurted, “it's... very scary. I don't want to be a part of it.”

Realizing his gaffe, the hapless lad cursed himself for his lack of knowledge. He had tried his hardest to learn the locals' tongue on such short notice, and he simply intended to state he did not want to interfere. But his phrasing appeared to have gave a more hardline impression, even exposing him as a turncoat and a Soviet mole. His eyes shifting at her, he tried to explain, “I-I mean... I don't want to... I, uhh...”

“Don't speak,” the girl mysteriously spoke in fluent Russian, “any more and you might give yourself away. It'll all be over soon. No need to interfere.”

Yevgeny, to put it simply, was shocked. Paling considerably, he was quick to suspect the girl's allegiance on a moment's turn. The only people that might find use in Russian are those who had to deal with the Soviets themselves. To say she was a sympathizer was an understatement. Somehow, he had a feeling she was more than who she seemed, and she was quick to discover his identity for some reason. It was only then he realized a hand reaching into his coat. She had her hand on his pistol, and had she wanted, could have simply swiped it on a moment's notice. Strangely enough, however, she merely released her grip on the gun as she slipped her hand out of his jacket pocket. It did not take long for him to surmise her identity.

“Y-You're not going to kill them are you,” he whispered in panicked Russian, his eyes darting at the scene as he heard the guards at the cordon began to demand the protest's dispersal, “there are women and children there. They don't know any better-”

“Are you sure,” she queried calmly, her courteous smile hiding any possible offence she might have felt over his words, “sympathy may be an admirable trait, but you yourself must keep in mind who you are. For all your admiration for them, their ultimate goal is to kill you and any Russian in this country who still held onto their chains. Their made their choice, and they will give their lives for it. I see no problem obliging them. Do you not think it benefits you to see them dead? Do not expect them to hold the same capacity for sympathy as you. Just as much, there is no reason to feel any for them.”

Buttoning his lips, Yevgeny could tell she was serious. He had no idea how to respond, and as much as he wanted to stop her, he knew he had no authority to order her, at least to his knowledge. In addition, he hated to admit that butchering the protesters would be of benefit to his superiors to a great extent, and to himself. But he was not that cold blooded as to watch them run to their doom. Was he?...

Before long, the shouting grew even more violent, as events at the front began to unfold. Trying look over their heads, the hapless lad could see a few people being pinned down by the guards, likely arrested. Before long, the protest started spiralling out of control, as the mob began descending on the cordon in a violent wave. Devoid of any other option, the sinister hail of choking spoke began to fire upon the crowds, trying to clear the way.

“It has begun,” she stated, as she began pulling Yevgeny away, “we shouldn't get into their line of fire. It's too dangerous-”

“Dangerous,” blurted the panicked lad, trying to shrug off her arm instinctively, “you're firing tear gas on them! Isn't that a provocation!”

“They provoked us first, Russian,” she simply stated, “we are just reacting. If they kept quiet, we would not have to resort to violent measures to defeat them. Traitors who reject the good graces of socialism must be put to heel. Surely, as a commander for the Red Army, you must understand where you stand?”

Suddenly, a shudder overcame his feet as he nearly tripped on the pavement again. Gunfire reigned in the air like firecrackers as the hideous blast of AKMs began to fell the front ranks of the mob. The formerly clustered sea began to disperse in rapid succession, as chaos reigned amongst the protesters. Falling over on the asphalt as an even greater shudder lifted him from his feet, he could feel a strange shower of dirt and dust mounting over him, his hands over his head to shield himself from the debris. Lifting his head for a closer look, he could see the girl from earlier prone beside him as well. As his gaze shifted back, he now saw for himself the outcome of their resistance.

The street had become shrouded in an eerie, choking smoke, blanketed by silence as he saw no sign of the angry mob that sought to tear apart the station. Shaking his head as he tried to force his hearing back, a small drift of sound began leaking in as the smoke began to clear. In full sight, he began to see figures running away from him, the mob dissolving as the entire affair played in slow motion like a movie reel. Before long, he could start hearing the wave of panicked screams echoing from the scattered crowd, accompanied by the thunderous, drum-like tapping of assault rifle fire and the occasional blast of a tank gun. His eyes shifted lower, he now saw what remained of the people who had tried so adamantly to issue their grievances. One, two... maybe three bodies laid scattered across the battle-scarred road now, the telltale signs of gunfire being spewed on them. Those hit by a tank shell, however, were far less lucky – where a crater now stood, bits of what used to be Hungarian civilians now scattered the entire radius of the blast site, their remains splashed over like a morbid canvas of red and grey. His eyes flinching, the stunned lad turned to his side as he saw the familiar red star of the T-34 shifting past him, its crew ready to drive the remnants from the premise in full.

The whole scene felt surreal, almost like a drama serial. He was not sure if he was actually dead, unconscious or otherwise in an otherworldly experience, but not since Korea had he seen the dead up close. Even before, he had the luxury of only seeing the dead, not so much the dying. Turning his head back over the site, he spotted the body of a young girl lying on the ashphalt, or what was left of her. Just a few feet near the crater, the blast had left her with just over half her body, her right side severely savaged and dismembered by the attack. Yevgeny could not utter as much as a gasp, his shock stifling his voice as he bit his knuckle in horror. Agony written over his face, he could only whimper in futility as he bend forward in a prostrated state, his head to the ground as he faced away from the ongoing carnage, a few gargles of despondence cracking out of his throat as he rued the aftermath of his confrontation.

Yevgeny now knew what he was up against, and he knew, for a long time, that those responsible would escape retribution, and mock their deaths with glee.

5wbbOfg.png

Part 4
Cast

OOC Notes:
  1. Korean War, in politically correct Communist lingo.
  2. General Ivan Serov, head of the KGB from March 1954 to December 1958.
  3. The manifesto

Last edited:
Poor Yevgeny; he didn't just get a front row seat to a display of totally-not-imperialism by totally-not-the-Russian-Empire-dressed-in-Communist-paraphernalia, he met Stalin's Pianist, she of the itchy trigger finger, as well. And Stalin's Pianist is none other than Mugi. :eek:

No cakes and tea for him, I guess. :p

Holy shit, the new board's emojis kind of suck.

Poor Yevgeny; he didn't just get a front row seat to a display of totally-not-imperialism by totally-not-the-Russian-Empire-dressed-in-Communist-paraphernalia, he met Stalin's Pianist, she of the itchy trigger finger, as well. And Stalin's Pianist is none other than Mugi. :eek:

No cakes and tea for him, I guess. :p

Holy shit, the new board's emojis kind of suck.

No, my cakey! :O

So the VGCRA passed despite three massive companies lobbying against it? How does that work?

What? I think you got the wrong thread.

Last edited:
Status update: Still a bit slow on the post, sorry about that. Other than that, I'm considering the anthem for Prussia at the moment, and while searching, I came across this in the interwebs. The lyrics are here in Baltic Prussian, with translations. Seems like a solid choice, if not for the composer's Nazi sympathies. Let me know what you think. ._.

Sounds very good. I would expect Prussia's anthem to be a more nationalistic, in a sense that it would exalt the courage of the Prussians and its lost glory. After all, I'm sure the country needs a strong cultural identity to sustain itself, what with most people being ethnic Russians. As for the author's sympathies... well, the melody isn't like other Nazi songs I've heard (for historical purposes!) and the lyrics don't mention the Nazis in any way, so I think it's safe to use it.

Sounds very good. I would expect Prussia's anthem to be a more nationalistic, in a sense that it would exalt the courage of the Prussians and its lost glory. After all, I'm sure the country needs a strong cultural identity to sustain itself, what with most people being ethnic Russians. As for the author's sympathies... well, the melody isn't like other Nazi songs I've heard (for historical purposes!) and the lyrics don't mention the Nazis in any way, so I think it's safe to use it.

I see. I guess I'll put it to use then.

Interlude 2 - Family
Is update nao. :3 Probably too much wangst put into it, but I needed to get this aside first.

It had been an hour and a half since the start of the lecture, several more if the morning session was counted. What enthusiasm and attention the students had had long been eaten away, and while those who still held a genuine interest in history could keep an unearthly focus on the lesson, most seemed contend to distract themselves with scenery or slumber. Peering at his freckled, curly haired friend Petr as he laid face-first on the desk, Stanislaw felt a grudging pity for the professor. Given Roman's profession, he was sure he had encountered this plenty of times. For him to remain that optimistic was quite a surprise. As the silver-haired lecturer tried to provoke the class' attention again with the Hungarian Uprising, the lad could not help but think the information was for mere show. After all, why else would he add a seemingly unnecessary tidbit of Yevgeny's life after droning on about the early days of military administration of the oblast? Granted, there was not really much of note at all from the latter. The most the military ever did was bring in East Slavic workers to build their bases. There was no reason to care about their wellbeing to any extent beyond the running of the bases. It was only after Yevgeny took charge that things changed decisively.

“Ok, it's been hours, I know. I think that's about all for today. Do remember, that from next week onwards, all classes will be on Saturdays, except this coming one. Anyone who's been keeping track of the time will know why.”

As if on cue, wails of agony began to reverberate all over the room as students began to panic and mourn in quick succession. Standing with his head clutched, the freckled boy screamed at the top of his lungs in point blank range, causing the Pole to wince at his reaction. Discomforted, he questioned, “do you have to scream like that, Petr. Don't tell me you forgot about school.”[1]

“I haven't done my homework yet, Stan, and we only got three days to enjoy before we go back,” Petr whined, “what, don't tell me you've finished-”

“I finished my work long ago, Petr,” Paulina stated flat out, “lets me clear my head for the rest of the winter break. Maybe you should have done the same.”

“How dare you,” the Czech growled, “what about you then, Stan? Ready to burn some midnight oil with me.”

Giving a bit of an awkward smile as the lad slung his arm over his shoulder, all Stanislaw could admit was, “sorry... I already finished too. I felt I should concentrate on the history lectures, so I spent the start of the break completing the assignments.”

Seething with petty outrage, the hapless young man could only huff at the friends' 'betrayal', crossing his arms as he groaned, “some friends you two are. And here I thought we could spend some time working on the assignments.”

“If you need help,” Stanislaw simply stated, “just ask. I'll come over anytime.”

However, pouting a bit at his offer, Paulina reprimanded, “don't pamper him, Stan. Let him figure his homework out for himself.”

Shaking his head as his two classmates began to bicker over his involvement, the Pole could only lament his predicament. In all honesty, he only finished his work early so he would not have to worry about it later. And true enough, Petr's reaction showed him the consequences of neglect in full. As he tried to pull his focus away, he heard the nervous professor tried to call for their attention again. This time, though, it was about their next lesson, and what to expect.

“Alright, settle down,” he calmed, “you still have the weekend, so good luck with that, I guess. However, something to note about next lesson before I release you. Whatever you do, do not come for the lesson here, because we won't be holding a lecture here. Instead, report to the National Museum at 10 am sharp.[2] For those reporting from their school, please ask your teachers on the details. Also, I'll be handing you your first assignment for your history course, which will be a written report on a specific figure covered for the first part of our lectures. More details will be coming when we're at the museum, because it'll be easier for me to explain there. Any questions, please come forward. If not, have a... happy weekend, I suppose?”

From the mass of groans filling the room, it was hard to think anyone other than Stanislaw could enjoy their weekend at this juncture. Then again, not everyone had the foresight to do their work, and like many his age, last minute rushes were but a malignant normality.

UawJG45.png

Outside, Kyonigsberg State University
Present

Stepping out of the Albertina's front door, the chatter of high school students continue to fill the air over the coming days, and the anticipated approach of the second school semester. Some bemoaned the impending hell awaiting them, especially those whose assignment sheets had remained unanswered for the whole winter break. Others were rapidly drafting plans to squeeze whatever fun was left for their break, though a small minority compared to their lax classmates. And some eagerly anticipated the trip to the National Museum in the old Königsberg Stock Exchange building. Refurbished and reopened just a few years prior, few had yet to visit the history museum.

Pacing down the steps, the Singenwaldhang nonet were still debating their next course of action. Among them, the two 'amber-heads' were in full panic mode, hollering their friends for help to little avail. The twintail midget, among the grave offenders with due homework, remained defiant and silent, despite the gravity of her situation. The rest, however, remained dutiful students as always, forced to bemoan their friends' laziness. But the incessant pleas from their friends hardly made the situation better, with Ausra as the most desperate of the three.

“... for the last time, you can't copy my homework,” snapped Ritva, trying to pry the blubbering Ausra off her as she locked the Finn's waist in her arms, “I warned you this would happen! What have you been doing when we were studying together these past few days!? And you said we needed to practice our routine!”

“Please, I need you,” begged Ausra, “if I can't complete my math, I'll be held back a grade! Please, I beg of you...”

“We should just help her out, Ritva...” blurted the hapless ash-blonde Mariyne, “I mean, we can't let her copy our work, but we can teach her. Wouldn't that be better?”

“She's un-teach-a-ble,” the raven-haired girl griped, “god damn, stop crying, we're in public!”

“Pleaaaaase,” the persistent girl whined, nearly causing the hapless prisoner to trip. True enough, despite her stern-looking expression, all Ritva could do was relent. Batting an eyelid as Zisel tried the same routine with her fellow first years, she finally answered, “fine... we'll help you. Same with Zisel. But, you have to figure your answers yourself. We're only going to help you revise, ok?”

Brightening up almost instantly, the jovial airheads let out a yelp as she raised her arms in the air in praise. Watching Ritva raise her palm to her land in regret, the unnerved midget tried hard to resist asking. But as she felt a pair of hands massaging her shoulders deviously, she jolted at the creepy touch. Her calm failing, she could hear a whisper, “sure you don't need help too, Tarana?...”

“D-Don't be silly,” the red-eyed Azeri insisted, trying to avoid the gaze of the towering, buxom peer, “I could do my work just fine... Why would I need help. I mean...”

Would be a problem if you get held back for remedial,” Ludmilla silently inched forward, her face dangerously close to her victim as she whispered in her ear, “we don't want to have to practice our performances without you, do we?”

Biting her lip as cold sweat broke from her forehead, Tarana quickly broke, admitting, “i-i-if you insist. Please take good care of me...[3]”

“You hear that, Maria,” teased the elder at the bob-haired redhead, “we could use a place to study~”

“Why does everyone keep asking me to be the host,” Maria groaned, “anyone's house would be fine.”

“Because you have the nicest villas~,” the nonchalant senior stated, “I'm sure everyone agrees.”

“Let's go to Maria's,” Zisel rejoiced, “more than enough room for the nine of us!”

“What do you think, Vasilka,” Ludmilla asked of the blonde, “it'll be fun-hm?”

Out of the nine, however, it was Vasilka appeared the most nervous. Her head bowed a bit as if deep in thought, she seemed as if she too had forgotten her assignments. But Ludmilla knew her too well to be this careless, and the group knew beforehand she was already done by their previous study session. The blonde had reason to worry, but the cause was more immediate.

“Oh, you were saying something,” she asked Ludmilla, snapping out of her thoughts. Watching her friend's thought drift, Ludmilla answered assuringly, “relax, Vasilka. We're still here for you. If that girl dares to snap at you again, we'll stand by you no matter what.”

“Are you sure,” the worried ponytail-wearing blonde spoke, biting her lip at the idea, “you don't know these New Prussia fanatics. Everything they see wrong about this country gets pinned on us for blame. To them, we're nothing but a family of dictators. Everyone of us are considered devils itching to seize power like my uncle and granduncle. And I'm just from the extended family. What about Rayka? She's only a first year, and looks like a grade-schooler. She's already staying at the most pro-Fatherland part of the country and she still gets harassment from social justice warriors and journalists. I'm too tired to talk about such things, not the least to some youth wing zealot.”

Peering beside Vasilka's head, Ludmilla and her friends could already see said zealot making her way out. True enough, Farah's eyes remained glued to the Tonchev's head, even with Vasilka refusing to face her. Farah's friends, however, appeared to have more sense than her, trying to pull her away before she created a scene. How the girl could be this persistent was beyond her.

"Bugger off her already," Yana tried to restrain her, as the nine began distancing themselves from Farah and her friends, "what do you have against her? She just another student."

"She's not just 'another student'," Farah growled, "you heard her. She's-"

"She's former PM Tonchev's niece. So what," Ahmed stated flat out, "she hasn't made it a big deal. Why should you?"

"You don't know them, Ahmed," Farah snapped, "people like her... are the reason why this country is sucked so deep in despotism. Her family profitted from turning the country into a giant arms factory. They silenced and weeded out dissent. They ousted my father and tore his vision for a peaceful, modern Prussia apart. How is that not a big deal!? And don't pretend you never heard that, woman!”

Pausing at the foot of the stairs as her friends nervously looked on, Vasilka could only sulk at the raving schoolgirl behind her. Not that she failed to understand where she was going – her very words had betrayed her true identity. However, to believe that Prussia was at its darkest under the Tonchevs... as much as she tried to resist any futile measure to correct her, it was becoming extremely clear she was not going to get silence regardless.

“What do you want me to do then,” Vasilka snidely replied, turning back to face her with a heavy glare, “get on my knees and apologize? Sorry, but I have no reason to assuage your ego, Miss Gram. Maybe you should check your facts before you give such fiery accusations.”

“'Gram',” Zisel questioned in bewilderment, "what is she talking about?”

“Don't tell me you don't recognize her...” Ludmilla clarified with her, as the group observed the confrontation with utter dread, “Farahnaz Gram is the daughter of Henrik Abraham Gram, first Prime Minister of West Baltic-Prussia and founder of the independence party, New Prussia. He ousted Vasilka's granduncle, Chairman of the Presidium, Valeriy, and her uncle, Viktor, served in Gram's cabinet as Minister of the Interior during the first years of independence. Then, her uncle broke ranks along with half of New Prussia' elected ministers to form the opposition party, Fatherland Front. They defeated Gram in the first post-Soviet general elections in 1996, and he became the second Prime Minister. To put it simply, our princess is salty, that the 'hero of Prussia' was booted from office after a single term.”

3dIoJ9D.png

Livid, Farah appeared eager to march right at the blonde's face for a tight slap. But held back by her nervous friends, she was ultimately hamstrung into firing more verbal abuse. Angered, she barked, “I checked my facts perfectly! Maybe you should do the same! Are you going to tell me the detentions your uncle made in his tenure were 'necessary', and that arming the nation to the teeth and selling the excess was 'essential' to the economy!?”

“Prussia became a first world nation under my uncle,” Vasilka stated resolutely, clearly undaunted by the accusations as she jabbed her pointed finger at Farah in the distance, “his cabinet built the economy and armed forces from ground up. He destroyed Rodina and other extremist groups that threatened to divide our people. Your father lost the elections because he treated Prussia like a refugee camp than a actual country. He forgot his commitments to the citizenry and the electorate responded in kind. You blame me and my family for every perceived ill that had befallen our country, but ask yourself; what has New Prussia done for us? I can list out everything that had gone wrong under your party's administration and you'd still deny it.”

“How dare you,” Farah blurted in outrage, her eyes wide in shock and indignity as Vasilka shot down her charges, “my father fought for the rights and freedoms of every individual here including yours! How did Tonchev answer that? He split the party in two and tried to sell our nation out to Russian demagogues! He sealed off Prussia's borders and whipped up anti-Muslim hysteria to push his cause! He even sabotaged entry negotiations into the EU-”

“-and look what happened to Prussia after New Prussia won back the Seym,” Vasilka countered immediately, increasingly matching Farah's volume in kind as she grew impatient with the activist, “common market? Freedom of movement? Collective security? Our country is being dragged down with the Eurozone as we speak.[5] We've traded a Russian garrison with an American one. Syrian refugees are overwhelming our borders because the 'shining beacons' of Western democracy couldn't find a single 'moderate' rebel to back. We were going to join the EFTA and access the European market without handing over control of our finances.[6] We were committed to neutrality and mutual friendship with both East and West. We had the power to control the tide of migrants into our country to manageable levels. Your party burned everything we stood for in the name of political correctness and self-obsessed social justice!”

“Then why not join the EAU if you care so much about Russia,” snapped Farah again, “why not the CSTO! You said neutrality would protect us. Look what happened to Georgia and Ukraine! You said Fatherland wanted to reduce immigration to manageable levels, then why is it that only Muslim migrants are being locked outside!? You said joining the EU was a mistake...”

Biting her lip, Farah was actually lost for words on that point. She hated to admit it, but the current situation in the Eurozone made startlingly powerful fuel for Eurosceptic rhetoric such as Vasilka's. It was a disturbing sentiment that was spreading throughout Europe, not the least in Prussia itself. If the latest electoral campaigns are to show for, many people are unhappy and exasperated with New Prussia's Europhilic goals. And fear of Fatherland Front's record for authoritarian leanings failed to outweigh their message of order and stability in a chaotic world.

But while Farah had cut her tongue, Vasilka merely kept silent, her arms crossed as she tried to rack her brains for a way out of the debate. They were wasting all their time, but while Vasilka was too tired to continue arguing with such a persistent character, she hated to concede either. Her family, in her view, did nothing wrong. They were not traitors as Farah had actively billed them, and she was not about to give her the pleasure to gloat about it.

Fortunately, a honk from the porch managed to break the stalemate for them.

Halting in front of the bickering students was an Iveco LMV, the insignia of a black eagle interspaced with an anchor showing by the side. Anyone who knew the military could tell it was from the Prussian marines, but its appearance at the center of a university was quite unusual. Poking her a head out of the window from the driver's seat for a look, a relatively young East Asian in an olive uniform with a strange set of lotus hair decs had her handphone pinned to her ear. Right on cue, a faint buzz was echoing from Yana's pocket, forcing her to release her friend's arm as she picked up her call.

“Yana, you there,” the marine driver's voice spoke in her ear, “what's going on? You have a fight with Farah?”

“No, mother...” the Korean responded nervously, looking over at the LMV as the growing mob around her had their attention fixed on them, “it's just... Just a little scuffle. Farah is getting hyper, as usual. I'll be right down.”

Hanging her phone, the sulking girl cast a nervous gaze at Farah as she questioned leaving the boys to deal with her. Sensing the chance to break off, Vasilka quietly turned away as the nine began pacing off again. Annoyed, the Tajik barked, “where do you think you're going!? We're not done yet!”

“Farah, are you done yet,” Yana growled, batting an eyelid at her persistence, “are you going to create a scene every time you two meet? We'll be seeing them every weekend for the entire semester onwards. Are you going to make yourself miserable by confronting her every single time?”

Buttoning up her lower lip, Farah could not help but relent at her friend's demands. In all honesty, Farah herself was growing weary of such courtroom debates, not the least due to the unwanted attention she had attracted to herself. A glare at the blonde Russian as she turned back for the last time was met only with cold silence, as if Vasilka was done wasting her breath, or unwilling to agitate her to speak further. Bowing her head a bit, she could tell she was being unreasonable to begin with. What, she felt, was she expecting out of Toncheva anyway? She dared not admit it, but her opposite might have guessed right about her. Did she really expect Viktor's own family members to apologize for a decade of Fatherland rule, or condemn him for his actions? She could never imagine saying the same scathing rhetoric the blonde had of Gram.

“Excuse me...” she grunted, making a hasty retreat back into the Albertina. From the look on her grudging face, Farah seemed close to tears, and desperate not to show them in front of her designated rival. Concerned, the hapless Ahmed questioned, “should I?...”

“Let her bawl her eyes out on her own,” Yana stated, “best to give her some space. Sorry, I got to go. My mother's waiting.”

“Ah...” Sergei merely blurted, still stunned by the whole affair, “bye then.”

Rushing down the steps onto the porch, the hapless girl hesitated as she peered at the nonet again. Biting her lip, she muttered to the girls, “look... I...”

“No need to apologize for her,” stated Vasilka, tempering her frustration as her tone softened noticeably, “I've seen it before. I doubt she hasn't been on the receiving end of this, so her reactions aren't all that surprising. However, I hope she keeps quiet from now on. Let's not make another scene at the museum, for everyone's sake.”

“Yeah...” Ausra pleaded with her hands clapped in prayer, “we don't want to get kicked out, do we? And we don't want the professor to get angry too, right?”

Guilty, the black-haired Asian could only bow her head, replying in an uncertain voice, “ah... We'll keep watch on her.”

Watching the girls depart, Yana herself doubted if she could keep Farah silent for long. She had known the girl too long, and the idea that a hero like Henrik Gram could be brought down so easily just did not sit well for her. Getting into the other side of the LMV, she was not sure how to answer her mother on this. Anyone with a smartphone would have this on Youtube in a few moments, and the world would laugh at Farah's antics. Again.
Later, in the LMV

640px-Rosgartenskie_vorota_Kaliningrad.jpg

“You worried about your friend, Yana,” the marine officer asked her passenger, driving through the crowded evening streets of the city as Yana sat in deep thought.

“Ah...” Yana admitted, “this isn't the first time she made a scene. She disrupted the class when that Toncheva girl answered the professor's question. I don't what's driving Farah crazy. It's not like she's the one being confronted. Anyone could tell she was agitating for a response.”

“I suppose... some people want to reclaim honour for their families,” her mother tried to surmised, “for a lack of a better word. This Toncheva girl... is her father Viktor?”

“No. Lyubomir. Viktor is her uncle,” Yana replied.

“Lyubomir...” mused the driver, “I think I remember him. Splitting image of his father, Vladimir. Your father and I actually attended Viktor Tonchev's wedding. Your grandparents, your uncle and great-gran too. Viktor's wife was the sister of your father's teammate in the Soviet Olympic swimming team. Small world...”

“Wait,” blurted Yana, “you know the Tonchevs?”

“Not really,” she mused, “acquaintances, perhaps, but I wouldn't count myself close. Your great-gran though, worked with Mr Valeriy in the Committee for Resettlement back when she was a young woman. She refused to speak about it, though. Your father felt she probably never got over the fact that he had your great-grandfather die in a Siberian gulag.”

“I see...” Yana queried, increasingly unnerved by the links, “did... Great-gran ever mention about great-grandfather?”

Shaking her head, however, all her mother could say was, “she wouldn't tell us, not even your grandfather. All she would say was that he was a brilliant man who helped build Prussia as it is today. But she would never tell us who he is exactly. Perhaps she feared the KGB will take your grandfather away, or she simply did not want any unwanted attention. I'm sure you've heard before. They accuse her of being Stolypin's spymaster and even lover. Some even go as far as claim they were married in secret. She would never tell, though. She was impossible to break. But she told us she left a clue for us to find, particularly for you, Stefan (Yana's brother) and your cousins. Try asking Ana. I believe she still has it written somewhere.”

Pulling her hair back, Yana was unsure what to expect anymore. Her head was still reeling from the lecture, and Farah's unprovoked verbal assault had only made it worse. She could only muse the irony of her family ties with the Grams' political enemies. Most of all, she questioned her great-grandmother's role in it all, the nasty old crone who, in her youth as a black widow, had a hand in stuffing thousands of Koryo-saram like herself into train cars bound for Kaliningrad, just to meet Yevgeny's unreasonable quotas on West Baltic's future demographics. It all made as little sense as her South Korean romance drama.

“Small world...” was all she could say, as the vehicle made its way back through the crowded rush hour traffic. She was not sure what to believe anymore, and she dreaded the day of the museum visit more than ever.

mYIBvQM.png
  1. The school year starts in the first week of September, with the second half starting after winter break on the week after the Eastern Orthodox Christmas Day.
  2. Königsberg Stock Exchange, one of the few building that was rebuilt IOTL.
  3. よろしくお願いします
  4. Fatherland Front. Politics post for more information.
  5. Greek Eurozone crisis.
  6. European Free Trade Association.
Cast

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.