Operation Downfall: A Timeline

John Farson

Banned
September 8 1945
Iwo Jima

General of the Army Eisenhower and Generals Bradley and Patton ha few weeks going over MacArthur’s plans for Operation Downfall, they didn’t like what they seen. Now they had to face the fact the Japanese had jets. Patton was the first to speak, “Ike, MacArthur plans spread are forces to thin. From the reports I had read the Japs don’t withdraw unless they have to. There are a number of large size islands Macarthur said could be taken with the same division. From what I seen we will need at least two divisions, one each for Tanegashima and the other for Yakushima. Plus we will have to clear a number the smaller island. We need to use the islands as a forward base for the main thrust into Kyushu.”

Ike looked over to Patton, “George what to you want to do?”

“I had drawn my plans for taking the small islands around Kyushu. The 40th Infantry Division will lead the assault on Yakushima plus the Koshikijima Islands. The 77th Infantry Division will take Tanegashima.” He pulled out a map and gave a detail briefing on his plans.

After finishing the briefing Bradley saw George was going to change the whole operation. He didn’t like the man but he have to admit that he was a hell of a tactician. “George, when do you want these landings to happen?”

“Brad these landing so happen around the 22th of October. Operation Olympic will need to be pushed back till we have control of these islands.” Patton looked over to Ike, “Ike do we have any more of these A-bombs?”

“Currently I have two bombs that I can drop, but for the time being I not ordering them being used.”

Brad looked at Ike, “Sir we should only use them in strategic role not in tactical role. There are too many unknowns to put our troops at risk.”

“Brad I was thinking the same think. Too much like gas.”

Ike, Bradley, Patton and all the other generals have absolutely no say - apart from advising the President - whatsoever on the dropping of the A-bombs. Only Truman has the authority for that.

Ike, Bradley, Patton and all the other generals have absolutely no say - apart from advising the President - whatsoever on the dropping of the A-bombs. Only Truman has the authority for that.
Truman has given Ike authority to drop the bombs as he saw fit.