Nice Reference Site(s)

MrP

Banned
Archives of the War Times Journal:

Orders & Dispatches

Napoleon Bonaparte, 1796 - 1815
Orders, dispatches and reports from Napoleon's army headquarters during the Italian, Egyptian, Austerlitz, Wagram and Waterloo campaigns.

Marshal Louis Davout, 1806
Orders and reports from French Marshal Davout's famous Auerstadt campaign.

Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1797 - 1805
Dispatches, letters of instruction and commentary written by Horatio Nelson during his most famous naval campaigns.

The Duke of Wellington, 1808 - 1815
Dispatches, orders and correspondence from the headquarters of Arthur Wellesley, The Duke of Wellington during the Peninsular and Waterloo campaigns.

American Civil War Navies, 1862
Telegrams and reports relating to the great naval battle fought at Hampton Road between the USS Monitor and CSS Virginia.

Egyptian Expeditionary Force, 1917-1918
Dispatches, maps and records of service for the Allied army which fought in the Middle East and North Africa during World War One.

Eyewitness Accounts​

The Redoutable at Trafalgar
By Captain Etienne Lucas, Captain of the 74-gun Ship of the Line Redoutable.

The Battle of the Skagerrak
By Commander Georg von Hase, First Gunnery Officer of the German Battlecruiser Derfflinger.

The Battle of Borodino
By Baron Lejeune, a French Army Colonel who served as aide-de-camp during the 1812 invasion of Russia.

The Battle of Manila Bay
By Admiral George Dewey, commander of the American squadron which fought at this first naval battle of the Spanish-American War.

The Bombing of Hiroshima
By Father P. Siemes. Copy of a manuscript typed by this German Jesuit priest in September, 1945, shortly after his personal observation of the August bombing and its aftermath.

Memoirs​

Reminiscences of the Civil War
by John B. Gordon (American Civil War)

Personal Memoirs of U.S. Grant
by Ulysses S. Grant (American Civil War)

High Adventure
by James Norman Hall (WWI Aviation)

Advance and Retreat
by John B. Hood (American Civil War)

The Grand Fleet
by John R. Jellicoe (WWI Naval)

From Manassas to Appomattox
by James Longstreet (American Civil War)

Recollections of Marshal Macdonald
by Etienne Macdonald (Napoleonic)

Fighting the Flying Circus
by Edward Rickenbacker (WWI Aviation)

The Red Fighter Pilot
by Manfred von Richthofen (WWI Aviation)

Memoirs of the Duke of Rovigo
by Anne Jean Savary (Napoleonic)

Germany's High Sea Fleet in the World War
by Reinhard Scheer (WWI Naval)

Rasplata and The Battle of Tsushima
by Vladimir Semenov (Russo-Japanese Naval)

Memoirs of General William T. Sherman
by William T. Sherman (American Civil War)

Memories of Forty-Eight Years Service
by Horace Smith-Dorrien (WWI)

Marshal Suchet - War in Spain
by Louis-Gabriel Suchet (Napoleonic)

Photo Galleries​

France at War, 1914 - 1918
Rare stereo images scanned directly from original glass plates recently discovered in Paris.

Pre-Dreadnought Warships, 1895 - 1905
Galleries of major period warships grouped by nationality: American – French – Russian

Datamancer is a site by an artist who builds actual steampunk versions of things like computers, and he has other weird stuff.

From the site:
This site started off as merely a self-indulgent showcase of stuff I do, but somewhere along the way it seems to have become a popular art gallery and occasionally, a store. My name is Richard R. Nagy. I build wacky stuff and dabble in a little bit of everything...

This site acts as the online portion of my portfolio and displays some of my art, gadgets I've built, essays I've written, various campaigns and shenanigans I've partaken in. Come in, look around, see, read, enjoy. You'll smile, you'll laugh, you'll sigh, you'll cry, it'll change your life...or at least waste a few minutes of it...

I am currently in the middle of a cross-country move from New Jersey to California in search of warmer climes and business opportunities...maybe in the movie industry making custom sets, props and monsters. I might also just stick to building custom gadgets for a while...

Placenames Map links

http://www.placenames.com/us/

Pretty neat site. Only good for US sites, alas, but the information is rather outstanding. It basically puts all the relevant map sites and whatnot on one page.

You can search for info on pretty much any community.

This, for example, are all the links that show up for the community of Dawson Run, PA (pop. 602)

Populated Place in Forest County, Pennsylvania, USA.
Latitude: 41.53667 : Longitude: -79.44 : Elevation: 1070 ft

Local Links
Discount Rates on Hotels near Dawson Run - IHS
Blogs and Websites Near Dawson Run, Pennsylvania - GeoURL

Maps and Photos
Get a custom-printed topographic map centered on Dawson Run - Sponsored Link
Dawson Run Map - Multimap
Dawson Run Street Map and Satellite Photo - Google Maps
Dawson Run Aerial Photo and Topo Map - Terraserver
Dawson Run Map - MSN
Environmental Hazards, Flood Area Maps, Boundaries - EPA
Dawson Run Area Map - MapQuest

Weather and Climate
Dawson Run PA Weather Forecast - National Weather Service
Weather Forecast near Dawson Run - Multimap

Local Information
Dawson Run White Pages

Grey Wolf

Donor
I found a good site on French Rev/Napoleonic cavalry commanders, but I bookmarked it on the centre's PC not on this library one

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Here's a really great website dealing w/ international boundary issues, www.dur.ac.uk/ibru. This is a site for the International Boundaries Research Unit, that I use to get current boundary info, that I can incorporate into any current OTL maps that I make.

Some random odds and ends...

Paleo-Future -- A look into the future that never was

Dark Roasted Blend - Looking for the weird and wonderful things to complement your daily coffee ritual?

BibliOdyssey - large collection of scanned illustrated books of all kinds

Curious Expeditions -large and diverse collection of links and articles about all manner of things bizarre

Finkbuilt - 'A tinkerer's journal'

DaVinci Automata - Clockpunk information and links of all kinds

The Steampunk Home - three guesses what it's about....

Historic Photo Archive - small but growing collection of old photos. You can even order prints from the photographer.

MagazineArt.org - Vintage magazine cover and advertising art from the Golden Age of American Illustration

Museum of RetroTechnology -- pictures, information and links about a wide variety of 'old' and sometimes unusual tech including Propellor-Driven Locomotives, Steam Engines of all kinds, Optical Telegraphs and more.

Norman Saunders - This site documents all published works of Norman Saunders, from 1926 to 1986. Who was Norman Saunders, you ask? He was an illustrator for a wide and diverse variety of things, from pulp magazines to comic books to even trading cards (including the original Mars Attacks cards).

PCL Link Dump - Pretty much what the title says. Audio/Visual findings from the 1940's to the 1980's. Movies, records, advertising, music videos -- there's a bit of everything in here.

Retro-Thing - Vintage gadgets and technology

Tales of Future Past - How did people in the past view the future? Wonder no more...

Vintage Paperbacks & Digests - 800 images of paperback books on this website; everything from film noir to science fiction to lesbiana to drug theme paperbacks can be found here.

Vintage Projects - From the website - Our goal is to preserve the inspired DIY spirit of the past. Our free project reprints cover farm machines, the woodshop, machine shop, boats, archery and more. These vintage plans come from a half-century ago when do-it-yourself enthusiasts turned wood, metal and old motors into useful workhorses, functional tools, and toys.

Vintage Scans -- I can't seem to figure out what the criteria is for this site -- apparently their criteria is a) interesting advertising pictures from magazines or b) Taken sometime between the 1930s to 60's or c) Involving pretty women. Bonus points if all three can be accomplished apparently.

Vintage Technology - This guy is perhaps a bit too fond of old calculators, computers, and other electronic devices but it's still an interesting site to browse through.