New York Sides with the Confederacy

I demand a TL of this. If I wasn't busy I'd write it myself. :D

What would happen to the west if say, California breaks off along with the Upper-Mississippi? Who gets Colorado and Wyoming and such?

I demand a TL of this. If I wasn't busy I'd write it myself. :D

What would happen to the west if say, California breaks off along with the Upper-Mississippi? Who gets Colorado and Wyoming and such?

I think Pacific Republic (I think if California goes, Oregon goes with it) could have a legitimate claim to the entirety of Oregon Territory and maybe the western chunk of Nevada, but otherwise, it's kinda out of grasp (through desert and rough mountains with no railways). I think the Missouri Watershed (Montana et al) would go with the Upper Mississippi if river access is that important, and the remaining territories (Utah, New Mexico) would be divided up between California, whichever side Kansas goes with, and whichever side Texas goes with (the CSA formed, and then Texas joined. If New York, New Jersey, California, etc. go their own way, Texas might see fit to do the same).

Which leaves for the Union the Old Northwest, Pennsylvania, Upstate New York, New England, definitely. Here's the Maybes for the Union.

New Jersey--not sure how serious its secession movement was. Might go out alongside New York for economic reasons?

Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Arkansas--if the Union completely comes to pieces before any Ft. Sumter incident, Lincoln will see the writing on the wall and not even bother to demand troops. They might stay with the Union, or go south.

West Virginia--if Virginia stays Union, it's a non-issue. Otherwise, counter-secession is a possibility.

I'm honestly unsure of how likely Upper Mississippi is, to be frank. By this point, the railways were a viable alternative to the Mississippi, so Chicago and (eventually) New York hold more promise than does New Orleans at this point.

Of course, this is a worst-case scenario for the Union. It assumes that New York's secession is the straw that breaks the camel's back, which is not certain.

It could happen if there was a pod of a large amount of slave factories.

First of all, there has to be a good reason for there to be slave factories. The North was receiving a healthy influx of far cheaper European immigration to work in its factories. New York must've not felt an economic need for slaves, because slavery was outright banned by 1827.

New York City in 1860 had nearly a population of 900,000 people, with over 40% of that total being foreign born.

There were four million slaves in 1860 and the average slaveholder held ten slaves, with larger plantations of course having far more.

For the idea to work, there would need to be more slaves to go around, New York would have to have a change of heart on slavery sometime before 1827, and foreign immigration has to be lower. Furthermore, the political leadership of New York City would have to justify slaves taking factory jobs, which would be a large number of available jobs at the time.

No one really wanted to work on a cotton plantation, but the free white population was willing to at least work in factories and would loathe to see those jobs lost to slaves. The population had a hard time accepting and competing with low-wage foreigners, let alone no-wage blacks.