Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Repost. BotPS

Is that an Austrian Franz Josef Land? I'm sorry but, hahaahaaha. That's original if I've ever seen it. Also this world seems to be a lot angrier than our time. There's just conflicting claims everywhere. Great map though. Mind explaining further some of your ideas behind what is happening in Poland, Oman, Canada or Mongolia/Xinjiang?

Why yes, it is indeed! Since Austria is the master of the Holy Roman Empire in this world, an a minor colonizing power, I think it would be perfectly reasonable for them to claim Franz Josef Land considering it was a bunch of Austrians who discovered and named the islands in OTL.

It does seem a bit more angry than OTL, particularly because a French-Spanish, Austrian-Russian victory in Seven Years War more or less evens the world's balance of power out a lot more than OTL. By the year 1880, there is no definite world superpower like there was in OTL 1880 (UK). The fact that no one nation has a one-up on all the others results in a lot more conflict around the world. The British have the best navy in the world, but is is by no means as strong as OTL. The French + The Spanish navies could, at least on paper, take the Royal Navy down. Since Spain never entered the same kind of terminal decline she faced in OTL, there's more regional and world powers in this world than there ever were in OTL. Spain, France, Britain, Austria, Russia, the Ottomans, and the United States are all considered great powers, with nations like Sweden, Holland, Portugal, Prussia, and Denmark-Norway considered second tier powers as well. This unique balance of power around the world makes for a very interesting scenario, and quite a bit of infighting too lol

Poland basically caught a huge break. With Prussia's decisive defeat in the Seven Years' War, one future power who ended up eliminating Poland's existence was entirely butterflied away. Prussia still exists, but she's about as strong as Bavaria was in OTL. That left only Russia and Austria as potential nations who could carve Poland up. The fact that Austria became the most powerful state in Central Europe made her the "Prussia of this world" and thus, the Austrian-Russian alliance that helped defeat Prussia in the Seven Years War soon collapsed (as did the Franco-Austrian Alliance too, because France became even more powerful than she was already with the acquisition of some land in the HRE due to Prussia's defeat). With the collapse of any sort of cooperation between Russia and Austria, Poland's fate was saved. Neither nation would tolerate the other invading, occupying, or puppetizing Poland...so she basically served as a sort of buffer-state between Austria and Russia all the way to the 1880s. By now, Poland has gotten her problems sorted out more or less, so she's quite capable of defending herself against invasion, but she still serves as a buffer between Austria and Russia, and she's likely pretty close allies with France to help counter Austria.

Oman is something I haven't really touched on a whole lot yet. I'm not sure what to do with the nation since I'm not as well-versed in that region of the world as I am Europe and the Americas. For now I'm just letting Oman stay as it is, but it may shrink or turn into a colonial power on its own...depends on how I draw up the rest of Asia. If I need more space for the European colonizers I'll have to carve Oman up lol

Canada is more or less OTl....though with Russia, and Spain doing much better than OTL in the region Britain still has control over British Columbia. Canada is good trading partners with New England, but they still have that border dispute going on over northern Massachusetts. London has a bit more control over Canada than OTL at this point though, so at the rate things are going, expect even more cooperation between the the Dominion and the mother country than OTL.

As for Mongolia, since Russia's ambitions in the west were curbed by Austria's rise as a major power (on the same scale as Prussia in OTL, but by this point Austria is effectively the German Empire of 1880, but a bit weaker since the HRE isn't as solidified as the GE of 1880 was), she turned her sights to the south and to the east. That explains Russia's involvement in Afghanistan and OTL northern Pakistan and India (the Great Game is still going stronger than ever). With Russia's expansion blocked in Poland, she basically turned to China and started carving chunks out of her. As a result, western China and Mongolia are under Russian control by 1880, thanks to a few past wars between China and Russia. Since Russia has a much greater aggressive eastern view of the world, expect Japan to be worried about her a lot more than OTL (any future Russo-Japanese War will not result in a mega-curbstomping like OTL).

Is that a Maori Cape of Good Hope I see? Also, the Thai-Inca Empire continues its dominance over South America, I see :p

It is indeed a Maori Cape. With the Pacific being a better path to China and the East Indies right there Europeans were less interested. The Maori like gather slaves.

The Thai empire is starting to reverse a long decline. They boomed during the early 1600s on Incan riches, then their economy wound up falling apart from inflation and holding down conquered territories became a chore, but now the settlers are starting to grow enough to make up for their annex too many other nations.

Situation in Peru at the beginning of 2001, during the beginning stages of the War of Terror against the group known as the Yachakuq, the country is nominally run by the Interim Peruvian Authority, however Coalition forces and Commanders run most day to day affairs, the map illustrates the split of Coalition control in Peru, Blue is Russian, Grey German, Blue French, and Dark Green Ottoman.

Untitled.png

That's all very interesting stuff. Thanks for taking me into your detailed world for a bit. As for Oman, I'd think it would be interesting if through careful diplomacy and negotiation with the British and whoever is going to replace the Germans (probably the A-H Empire but really could be anybody), they could keep control of the Zanzibar coast throughout the scramble for Africa. Essentially keeping the Omani Empire strong.

That's all very interesting stuff. Thanks for taking me into your detailed world for a bit. As for Oman, I'd think it would be interesting if through careful diplomacy and negotiation with the British and whoever is going to replace the Germans (probably the A-H Empire but really could be anybody), they could keep control of the Zanzibar coast throughout the scramble for Africa. Essentially keeping the Omani Empire strong.

No problem! I plan on turning this into a map series and/or a nation game on day, so fleshing the backstory out really helps me plot things for the future.

As for Oman, I really have no idea what to do. I don't see Europe really caring about Oman enough to consider them a legitimate power worth negotiating with. Britain or even the Austrians could easily send some ships over to Zanzibar and forcefully take the region from the Omanis if they wanted to.

Southern Africa in a universe where ASBs gave the Zulu AK-47s

I think more of the Zulu empire would be in the north: the Zulu state was in the north and east of what is now South Africa, http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...1890.svg/800px-LocationZululandca1890.svg.png southern Mozambique and what is now Zimbabwe would be natural regions for expansion. Much of the area you show them expanding into is desert and semi-desert and not much interest http://images.nationmaster.com/images/motw/africa/south_africa_veg_1979.jpg as well as being inhabited by ethnic groups unrelated to the Zulu...

Bruce

A WIP I found lurking on my computer - from the looks of it and what I can remember it is a British-Imperial wank with a PoD around 1850s or so - happy to try and answer any questions.

Victoriana II.png

Cool and interesting series! THis looks so natural and homogenous that you might not notice it, especially the East! Please continue!

Also, could somebody prepare a basemap of this?

I did the original 1492 map for the WI thread.
swap.png

If you want modern nations just find the pacific centered basemap around. I don't know if they have rivers yet or not.

swap.png

A WIP I found lurking on my computer - from the looks of it and what I can remember it is a British-Imperial wank with a PoD around 1850s or so - happy to try and answer any questions.

What's the date of the map? And how'd Sweden get Finland back?

What's the date of the map? And how'd Sweden get Finland back?

In the backstory I remember Scandinavia had unified into a single country that had fought alongside the British, North German League and Austrians against the Russians, however afterwards it fractured due to nationalist sentiments in each of the constituents, Norway invited a British prince to become king and were inherited. Date of that map was around the 1920s, after the aforementioned war in around 1890s but before the second in around 1940.

Most useless French Australia ever.:p

Who could ask for more than 99% of a territory being unspoilt :D

a map for an upcoming update in my early Dutch colonisation of Australia, thought i'd share here to hype it, the population is 21300(ish) Europeans.

mdkRQpl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.