Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to debate how many more Indian ports there should be, but it's more or less almost done (minus China, Korea, and Japan, which need plenty of work). I may swap out French Indochina with Spain, considering they helped France take over Cochina in the first place, you could realistically see them getting involved there, especially if their "commonwealth" policy in the Americas turned out to be successful.

EDIT: BTW, the year is set during the early 1880s.

Map 2.png

Anyway, in most possible universes a habitable Venus and Mars do not lead to President Lyndon LaRouche. (It does tend to lead to Blaster-Hand Obama, Pirate of the Jovian Moons, rather more often than probability would dictate. :p )

The slightly saner minds of LaRouche, Jones and Duke are secondary butterflies to the habitability of everything else.

I'm trying to debate how many more Indian ports there should be, but it's more or less almost done (minus China, Korea, and Japan, which need plenty of work). I may swap out French Indochina with Spain, considering they helped France take over Cochina in the first place, you could realistically see them getting involved there, especially if their "commonwealth" policy in the Americas turned out to be successful.

What the heck is going on in Australia? Conflicting claims? When/why did New England secede? Are those still slave states in America? What is Spain's "Commonwealth" policy? And sorry for asking so many questions, but is the division of Brazil based on Glen's "Dominion of Southern America"? Anyways, it's a cool looking map, though I resent being cut off from the rest of America by secessionists. :p

I really dislike the convention if having slave states as a darker version of the US color, it just makes the US look weirder.

What the heck is going on in Australia? Conflicting claims? When/why did New England secede? Are those still slave states in America? What is Spain's "Commonwealth" policy? And sorry for asking so many questions, but is the division of Brazil based on Glen's "Dominion of Southern America"? Anyways, it's a cool looking map, though I resent being cut off from the rest of America by secessionists. :p

Conflicting claims in Australia. The Portuguese, French, and Dutch actually became interested in it in OTL. Since there's more than one power in Australia, I left the interior as "uninhabited" since it's not clear who controls that land (the British didn't have to worry about that in OTL as they were the only colonial power on the continent).

New England succeeded because of the Hartford Convention, which became much more radical than OTL (considering the POD is the Seven Years' War, it's not hard to see how butterflies could change something like that). With New England's departure, the Slave States got much more influence in the Federal Government and the Crittenden Amendment(s) passed, effectively keeping slavery legal in the south for all of time (at least until each slave state abolishes it on their own). Reagent gave me the ideas for South America, so you'll have to give credit to him (though I do not know where he got those ideas from). As for the Spanish Commonwealth situation, it's working out rather well...save in Argentina, which revolted against the Spanish anyway and declared independence in like the 1820s.

I'd propose this as a nation game for me to mod if there weren't...issues going on at the moment between myself and several other players over at the NG sub-forum.

I really dislike the convention if having slave states as a darker version of the US color, it just makes the US look weirder.

As the person who came up with that idea, I use it only in situations where the need to display the difference between free and slave states is clearly there. In this situation, the Crittenden Amendments keep slavery legal in the south forever, so that means I needed to clearly distinguish the difference between free and slave states.

This map is great because enough of it is convergent with OTL (in concepts, not necessarily borders or geopolitics) for it to seem realistic, with enough wonderful weirdness to show that it's not OTL.

I approve! Bravo, sir.

Is that an Austrian Franz Josef Land? I'm sorry but, hahaahaaha. That's original if I've ever seen it. Also this world seems to be a lot angrier than our time. There's just conflicting claims everywhere. Great map though. Mind explaining further some of your ideas behind what is happening in Poland, Oman, Canada or Mongolia/Xinjiang?

I like it. What's the *Southern American state called, though?

Is that an Austrian Franz Josef Land? I'm sorry but, hahaahaaha. That's original if I've ever seen it. Also this world seems to be a lot angrier than our time. There's just conflicting claims everywhere. Great map though. Mind explaining further some of your ideas behind what is happening in Poland, Oman, Canada or Mongolia/Xinjiang?

Why yes, it is indeed! Since Austria is the master of the Holy Roman Empire in this world, an a minor colonizing power, I think it would be perfectly reasonable for them to claim Franz Josef Land considering it was a bunch of Austrians who discovered and named the islands in OTL.

It does seem a bit more angry than OTL, particularly because a French-Spanish, Austrian-Russian victory in Seven Years War more or less evens the world's balance of power out a lot more than OTL. By the year 1880, there is no definite world superpower like there was in OTL 1880 (UK). The fact that no one nation has a one-up on all the others results in a lot more conflict around the world. The British have the best navy in the world, but is is by no means as strong as OTL. The French + The Spanish navies could, at least on paper, take the Royal Navy down. Since Spain never entered the same kind of terminal decline she faced in OTL, there's more regional and world powers in this world than there ever were in OTL. Spain, France, Britain, Austria, Russia, the Ottomans, and the United States are all considered great powers, with nations like Sweden, Holland, Portugal, Prussia, and Denmark-Norway considered second tier powers as well. This unique balance of power around the world makes for a very interesting scenario, and quite a bit of infighting too lol

Poland basically caught a huge break. With Prussia's decisive defeat in the Seven Years' War, one future power who ended up eliminating Poland's existence was entirely butterflied away. Prussia still exists, but she's about as strong as Bavaria was in OTL. That left only Russia and Austria as potential nations who could carve Poland up. The fact that Austria became the most powerful state in Central Europe made her the "Prussia of this world" and thus, the Austrian-Russian alliance that helped defeat Prussia in the Seven Years War soon collapsed (as did the Franco-Austrian Alliance too, because France became even more powerful than she was already with the acquisition of some land in the HRE due to Prussia's defeat). With the collapse of any sort of cooperation between Russia and Austria, Poland's fate was saved. Neither nation would tolerate the other invading, occupying, or puppetizing Poland...so she basically served as a sort of buffer-state between Austria and Russia all the way to the 1880s. By now, Poland has gotten her problems sorted out more or less, so she's quite capable of defending herself against invasion, but she still serves as a buffer between Austria and Russia, and she's likely pretty close allies with France to help counter Austria.

Oman is something I haven't really touched on a whole lot yet. I'm not sure what to do with the nation since I'm not as well-versed in that region of the world as I am Europe and the Americas. For now I'm just letting Oman stay as it is, but it may shrink or turn into a colonial power on its own...depends on how I draw up the rest of Asia. If I need more space for the European colonizers I'll have to carve Oman up lol

Canada is more or less OTl....though with Russia, and Spain doing much better than OTL in the region Britain still has control over British Columbia. Canada is good trading partners with New England, but they still have that border dispute going on over northern Massachusetts. London has a bit more control over Canada than OTL at this point though, so at the rate things are going, expect even more cooperation between the the Dominion and the mother country than OTL.

As for Mongolia, since Russia's ambitions in the west were curbed by Austria's rise as a major power (on the same scale as Prussia in OTL, but by this point Austria is effectively the German Empire of 1880, but a bit weaker since the HRE isn't as solidified as the GE of 1880 was), she turned her sights to the south and to the east. That explains Russia's involvement in Afghanistan and OTL northern Pakistan and India (the Great Game is still going stronger than ever). With Russia's expansion blocked in Poland, she basically turned to China and started carving chunks out of her. As a result, western China and Mongolia are under Russian control by 1880, thanks to a few past wars between China and Russia. Since Russia has a much greater aggressive eastern view of the world, expect Japan to be worried about her a lot more than OTL (any future Russo-Japanese War will not result in a mega-curbstomping like OTL).

Status
Not open for further replies.