Map Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I didn't think you were rude. I'm not good at making fancy maps so I just used an OTL map to roughly show the ATL situation.

Where do you think the new Canadian/US border would be? Assuming a better US performance in the Revolution and/or 1812?

Alternate Germany ~1900

deutschland intern.png

Nineteen Eighty-Four? Looks like all the Japanese need to do is finish the war in China to be Eastasia.

Correct! That's exactly what I was intending. The British look more powerful than they really are.

I blame Communism said:
Nineteen eighty-four?

Exactly.

Ephraim Ben Raphael said:
Communist East France and Democratic West France with a divided Paris.

More like north and south, but you're correct about Paris.

Of course, this agreement isn't going to last for long...

Last edited:
Work in progress. Excuse the kana, it's probably horribly inaccurate, but way more accurate than an attempt at kanji would be. Peripheries of Takasago, breadbasket of the Japanese Empire, 1978.

takasago.png

This is an amazing timeline that I did a map makeover for - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

wutang_china_1650_by_whanzel-d31dzca.png

Note - State of Ba is Christian, or is trying to be. The Dalai Lama went Southeast and there is a Sultanate in the middle of the Middle Kingdom. Esoteric Daoism is very prevalent in the Southern Ming lands, mostly due to the popularity of the Wu-Tang School.

Very cool indeed, changed medieval migrations, long-surviving Roman Empire (although having lasted as that long, it’s a bit surprising that Italy breaks up in so many wee chunks).

A few questions:

Karlian Kingdom: is that anything like Saudi Arabia? :D

Velikorus: Slavic, or something else?

Slanting stripes: disputed territory? Joint rule? Multiple languages?

Natezland (Natchez?)/Holy Dakota: native American states, or “mixed?”

Where did you get the name for “Palengal?”

SPQ Africanus: some sort of early medieval colonization of West Africa by the Romans, leading to a Romanized Sahel?

Guiscardia: originally a Karlian colony?

And what’s the religious distribution?

Best,
Bruce

Who says the Romans ruled Italy for all that time? It was very much an on and off thing. Plus Italy wasn't governed as a unit, each province and duchy reported to Constantinople directly. Finally you had endless Germanic and Karlic meddling to prevent a united Italia from emerging.

Not so much, its just named after its mythical founder.

Uh yeah Veliko == Great, Velikorussians are the OTL regular russians.

Joint influence

No and very much yes.

Palan Bengal - tah dah! (Not the original one, a 15th century dynasty that wanted to call back to the earlier glory).

Not so much early medievil as that would be dumb, and its not even colonisation as Romans would suffer the same death toll as other Europeans. They ran it as a three tiered caste system coopting local elites, much like normal Roman colonisation but without the Roman settlement or paths to citizenship, part of the reason the Africans hate Constantinople so fucking much.

Yes, though the whole super-continent is called Guiscardia (or Viscartia depending on your localisation) after the Iberian Norman adventurer who went in about 1100 to see if the rumours about Basque fishing villages across the ocean were true or not.

Unskismed Catho-Orthodoxy in the Med+Karlia, mix and match flavours of Arianist/Celtic/Nestorianism north of the Alps and in central asia. Odd flavours of Islam in Arabia and the indian ocean, also making significant inroads in East Asia. America tends to a mash up of local traditions and whatever the colonising power brought over.

Work in progress. Excuse the kana, it's probably horribly inaccurate, but way more accurate than an attempt at kanji would be. Peripheries of Takasago, breadbasket of the Japanese Empire, 1978.

OK, so first off, Takasago is 高砂. OTL Japan actually didn't use this name during their colonial administration - they used Taiwan - but maybe it's an ATL thing. トドオフケン could be any number of things, but I'm going to guess that you're going for "administrative divisions," and the characters are 都道府県. As for your prefectures, if you're calling the island Takasago, then names like Taihoku, Tainan, etc. don't really work because the "tai" comes straight from "Taiwan." Taihoku literally means "North Taiwan," Tainan would be "South Taiwan," etc. So if you're using Takasago, then these names don't make much sense. But still: Taihoku is 台北, Shinchiku is 新竹, Taichu is 台中, Tainan is 台南, Takao is 高雄, Taitou is 台東, and I don't know what Karenkou is supposed to be (on the map like it's where Hualian should be, which is 花蓮, but Karenkou looks like a three-character word). Also, Taiwan isn't terribly well suited to be much of a breadbasket, given its small size and mountainous terrain. But I love the map!

If the US did better in the revolution and 1812 then they would have eastern Canada, not western Canada.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I was thinking that they would have got settlement rights for Western Canada in exchange for giving back the areas of Quebec and Ontario they held).

Didn't the West, consisting mostly of Rupert's Land, come under the jurisdiction of the Hudson Bay Company and the British Empire? Also, wasn't there already a sharing of administration over the disputed Oregon Country between Spain, Britain, America and Russia?

It also doesn't make sense to do such a thing when America at the time was more concerned with actually TAKING the heavily settled provinces of Upper and Lower Canada and ending the impression of their citizens into the Royal Navy.

Peter III winds up inheriting the Russian and Swedish throwns just before the diplomatic revolution. War of Swedish/Russian Succession ensues with Russia torn limb from limb. French revolution comes along and with a broken Russia they manage to ally with Sweden-Russia and gain control of Europe. Meanwhile Britain lost all of North America to revolution spreading loyalists to Australia and Africa, and a few poor souls end up in the Falkands. Supre long cold war ensues!

civ.png

It also doesn't make sense to do such a thing when America at the time was more concerned with actually TAKING the heavily settled provinces of Upper and Lower Canada and ending the impression of their citizens into the Royal Navy.

If the US took Ontario and Quebec, would they also have took Nova Scotia too?

Could someone make a world map based off of these 4 maps please

Oh for central Asia the pn;y differecnce is that Kakazhan has a border to the Volga

Just worry about Pacific
51ampacific1947.png

Next part I could probably make myself but still I need rivers.

51agb2ina1946.png

Heres that part that I need help with most

51stameurope1946-1.jpg

This is an amazing timeline that I did a map makeover for - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Note - State of Ba is Christian, or is trying to be. The Dalai Lama went Southeast and there is a Sultanate in the middle of the Middle Kingdom. Esoteric Daoism is very prevalent in the Southern Ming lands, mostly due to the popularity of the Wu-Tang School.

And a very cool TL it is indeed. Minor quibble - the Sultanate seems a bit large: for one thing, it's a little hard to see how the Ming and Qing keep having wars with the Sultanate going all the way to the sea.

Bruce

And a very cool TL it is indeed. Minor quibble - the Sultanate seems a bit large: for one thing, it's a little hard to see how the Ming and Qing keep having wars with the Sultanate going all the way to the sea.

Bruce

The sultanate is a very recent creation, and has only just conquered that land. Ming-Qing wars will probably give way to Ming-Sultanate wars pretty soon.

Plus Italy wasn't governed as a unit, each province and duchy reported to Constantinople directly.

Aaah, ze old deevide and rule treeck...yes, I know eet well...

Uh yeah Veliko == Great, Velikorussians are the OTL regular russians.

lgmp0163+homer-simpson-doh-the-simpsons-mini-poster.jpg

Not so much early medievil as that would be dumb, and its not even colonisation as Romans would suffer the same death toll as other Europeans.

Well, of course not all of it in the medieval period, I was imagining a Romanized and assimilated Sahel area as an initial core: I was thinking the cross-Saharan route by camel, and I don't believe the Sahel states are quite as bad as the coasts - the Moroccans managed to conquer and hold quite a bit of the area for a while, after all, and Italians are all too familiar with Malaria.

They ran it as a three tiered caste system coopting local elites, much like normal Roman colonisation but without the Roman settlement or paths to citizenship, part of the reason the Africans hate Constantinople so fucking much.

Hm - but if they hate them so much, why adopt the (suitably adjusted) SPQR? OTOH, they might just be lacking in alterante models for democratic legitimacy...

Always a pleasure to see one of your maps. The originality of your imagination always impresses me.

best,
Bruce

Bruce

I agree but I just followed directions.

The map is a little misleading, this is basically a snapshot of a (probably) very short lived time. Imagine if someone posted a map of Europe during WWI right when the Central Powers are at their deepest into Russia :rolleyes:, without the before and after maps that would be pretty misleading. Basically what Alex said.

As subversivepanda continues the TL, I think I'll keep making maps for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.