Should the President be able to be re-elected in consecutive terms?

• Yes

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chapter 39 German Unification
Chapter 39 German Unification

"What would I have done differently if I unified Germany? Well I would have not given so much power to the Liberals, that's for damn sure."- German Foreign Minister Otto von Bismarck 1863
"I fear that events within Central Europe have gone too far this time. It is time for us to intervene."- Tsar Nicholas I 1846
"We should've never given Prussia control of Silesia. If unchecked they might one day seek to destroy the Hapsburg throne."- Empress Maria Theresa 1748

After a near millennia of disunity Germany was finally one nation. When news of the Frankfurt Parliment spread on September 16th, hundreds of thousands of Germans took to the streets across their new nation to celebrate in rejoice for the unification. Much of the common people were also immensely pleased that the Constitution of the German Empire, while not entirely answering their demands, satisfied the common concerns of the masses and guaranteed much of their basic freedoms while setting up a basic legislative branch where the people would have the power. One group who was visibly not pleased with this arrangement were the monarchists and the South Germans, specifically Bavaria, Saxony, Wurttemburg, Baden, and Hanover. The passing of the constitution had only happened with a slim majority, the above mentioned providing the opposition. Their reasons for going against the constitution were numerous, the chief among them being the domination of Germany by a Protestant Prussia with the noble classes seemingly losing their rights. Even though the German Constitution still set up for a Federal system, many still feared that South Germany would be a mere puppet to Prussia's whims. Thus in the aftermath the delegates of the opposition swiftly went back to their home countries so that the leaders could plot their next course of action. What they did not expect was for Kaiser Wilhelm to foresee this.

550px-Map-AustroPrussianWar.svg.png

General makeup of Germany following the Frankfurt Parliment. Red was Pro-Austrian or independent. Blue Pro-Prussian. Green Neutral. Schlieswig-Holstein is highlighted in Yellow

When Wilhelm had been playing peacemaker and nationbuilder in Frankfurt he hadn't just spent his time focused on the new constitution and discussions of the Imperial Monarchy. During the recess sessions he had met with multiple revolutionaries and Liberals, while also having separate meetings with representatives from the Prussian High Command. Wilhelm knew that Prussia would face much opposition to taking control of the empire, thus in order to take control of his new nation he needed to act fast in the aftermath and secure his reign from all potential opposition and threats. On September 16th before the monarchies of South Germany could mobilize in support of Austria, millions of Germans were martialed and re-ignited the revolutionary sentiment that had been present earlier in the year, surrounding the army barracks and the royal palaces of their nations. At the same time the Prussian Army mobilized and sent multiple divisions to different parts of Germany to support the revolutionaries and enforce unification and the enactment of the German Constitution. All of these actions came from the mind of King/Kaiser Wilhelm as he managed to convince the revolutionaries that unless they acted now that all of their efforts will be lost and German Unification pushed back decades later. With Prussia having the largest and most modern military in all of Germany, their support was sure to help the revolution to succeed. Within days all of Southern Germany was blitzkrieged in quick order with the national armies of the opposition being unable to mobilize due to popular support for Germany and the prospect of having to face the elite Prussian troops in battle. While the situation never got out of hand as it did in France, there were several times that many royal families were near execution or deposement, only to be stopped by the Prussians in order to maintain order. For all monarchs Wilhelm gave one ultimatum; surrender and swear allegiance to Wilhelm or be stripped of their lands and titles. One by one all of the opposing monarchs swore fealty to Wilhelm as the new Emperor of the Germans, with the last being King Maximilian II of Bavaria on October 9th. The one unique exception though was Hanover. At the moment the Kingdom was in a virtual stalemate as the revolutionaries had taken to the streets yet the Prussian Army refused to advance into their borders. The reason for this was due to Wilhelm's wish to not start a war with the British over Hanover's annexation into the German Empire. While the Kingdom was no longer in a personal Union with Great Britain its monarch Ernst Augustus, was an Uncle to Queen Victoria, maintaining great ties through the House of Hanover. With the rest of Germany secured negotiations were underway over the status of Hanover which would end next year with the Russian intervention, until then Hanover would be transformed into an unofficial protectorate of the German Empire.

images

Prussian Army in the midst of the Unification Campaigns

While all this was being done Austria did not sit quietly on the sidelines. When being given news of the Frankfurt Parliment, Emperor Franz Joseph reportedly shot a painting of Kaiser Wilhelm with a colt revolver that he had been gifted to from Texas the year before. To say that the Emperor was furious is quite the understatement. In his viewpoint Prussia had committed the most undeniable treason by usurping power from Austria and unifying Germany under its banner rather than that of the Hapsburgs. Franz Joseph already had enough on his hands with the Hungarian Rebellion and the then ongoing Italian war. Both conflicts however paled in comparison to the potential threat that existed from Germany. Since Austria was potentially a part of Germany then one day Wilhelm could use this as a casus belli to annex Austria directly, forcing the Hapsburg's to kneel before the Hohenzollern dynasty. In order to deal with the threat to the north, Emperor Franz Joseph ordered for the formation of a new army with hundreds of thousands of troops being taken away from the Hungarian and Italian fronts. Commanding the Army was Archduke Albrecht, he was Franz-Joseph's cousin and had received his rank of Field Marshall in only 6 years through apparent nepotism and his noble status rather than any actual qualifications on his part. On October 11th, the hodgepodge Austrian army of 250,000 men set off from Prague in order to bring Prussia to heel and possibly make Austria head of Germany. On October 13th the Austrians had crossed the border and were quickly heading towards Berlin in order to capture the capitol and prevent a prolonged war so that matters could return to Italy and Hungary. Standing in the way of this was the Prussian first army and the Prussian reserves under the command of Prussian Field Marshall Siegfried Lohengramm. Lohengramn was a 64 year old general who was present at the Battle of Waterloo and since then had been making his way through the ranks of the Prussian army for his superior tactics and strategic theory compared to the Prussian nobles at the time. Though most of the regular Prussian forces had been sent to South Germany, Lohengramm still had access to the first army and since the outbreak of the revolution in March had been training tens of thousands of new recruits who joined out of new patriotism and dedication to the new empire. Not wanting Austria to get any close to Berlin, Lohengramm sought to make a stand midway in a field near the city of Breslau with his army of 175,000 men. Initially before the battle the Austrians thought they would be the victors as they were battle experienced and had a larger force. However, there was an old saying that one Prussian is worth 10 Austrians, never was it more proven than the Battle of Breslau On October 18th. The battle was initially began evenly with both sides meeting each other on the field of battle and beginning a stalemate that would last for the next three hours. As time went on however, the Prussians stood their ground and fought fiercely in order to protect the fatherland that had just been created. The Austrians on the other hand, were beginning to disintegrate. Most of the Army was tired from the long march and their fight against both the Hungarians and the Italians, the fact that they were already losing to the two other opponents kept the armies morale at a low point in the beginning. Additionally all non-Slavic troops slowly gave up the fight as they saw this as a conflict between Germans that had no effect on them at all, with the Czechs being a notable exception due to their fears of German annexation. The worst reaction of all was the main Austrian regiments where entire battalions surrendered en mass to the Prussians as they did not want to fight their supposed brothers and wanted to join this new Germany. Even the troops who wanted to fight for the Hapsburg's were hampered by miscommunication from a dozen different languages being spoken by the troops as well as poor training in comparison to the Prussian model. By the end of the day Prussia had Austria under a rout with the main Prussian cavalry and infantry advancing as an unstoppable force while terror reigned from above with the well trained Prussian artillery. The end of the battle was entirely one-sided as Prussia suffered only 8,753 KIA with 12,390 WIA; while this was large it paled in comparison to the Austrians with 32,219 KIA, 30,803 WIA, and 54,467 POW. The untrained Austrians were absolutely no match for the premier army of Europe, the battle proving once and for all who the main power in Germany was. For the next two weeks in what would be called the Halloween campaign, Field Marshal Lohengrammm chased Archduke Albrecht and the Austrians all over Silesia and across the border, winning multiple small victories and capturing even more prisoners. For his valiant leadership and success at Breslau, Seigfreid Lohengramm was promoted to the Prussian nobility and given the title of Count. This would start the von Lohengramm family that would come into prominence with Reinhard von Lohengramm's role in the Great War and its aftermath. In comparison Field Marshal Albrecht was met with a furious Franz Joseph, stripped of his rank and forbidden from entering Vienna again. With the key victory at the Battle of Breslau South Germany gave up and pledged their allegiance to Prussia. Giving Wilehlm the go ahead to be officially corononated on November 11th. Unknown to the new Kaiser of Germany however was the fact that the battle was key in finally steering Tsar Nicholas in the direction of intervention to save the Austrian Empire and prevent the rise of a German Superpower. In 1847 the second phase of the First War for German Unification would begin.

300px-1868_Bleibtreu_Schlacht_bei_Koeniggraetz_anagoria.JPG

Battle of Breslau

A/N: Hello everyone. I must apologize immensely for this long delay however there are several reasons for it. Last week during the weekdays I had received writer's block and when that ended I received a ton of school work that I had to complete. From Friday to Sunday I was also in a competition for the Model United Nations, luckily though I won an award so that wasn't for naught. I would've updated last night but the bus I was on broke down and we had to wait 3 hours for another one to come pick us up. I'll try to update near daily for the rest of the week since I'm off for thanksgiving. The goal is to have 1846/1847 done by the end of the month, so we'll see how that goes. By the way for you ASB readers I am posting a new timeline within the next 24 hours. It's called "Mobile Suit Gundam: Gihren's Glory", a SI/ISOT of myself into the body of Gihren Zabi from Mobile Suit Gundam (Universal Century). If anyone is interested in it then feel free to check it out and give it a read. Thanks everyone who's read until now and will continue to do so in the future. Long live Texas!

With the key victory at the Battle of Breslau South Germany gave up and pledged their allegiance to Prussia. Giving Wilehlm the go ahead to be officially corononated on November 11th. Unknown to the new Kaiser of Germany however was the fact that the battle was key in finally steering Tsar Nicholas in the direction of intervention to save the Austrian Empire and prevent the rise of a German Superpower. In 1847 the second phase of the First War for German Unification would begin.

From reading about the decay of the Russian Imperial Army and Navy Tsar Nicholas and comparing that to the modernized efficiency of the Prussian Army. It is easy to see that Nicholas I is in for a huge shock when the battling starts.

Poor Austria, so far from God, so close to Germany... and Hungary... and Italy. Ok, it just sucks to be Austria and no amount of help from the Russian bear is going to bail them out this time. Anywho, a batch of good updates since I last commented, and I'll say no need to appologize about how long it has been since the last update. Real life is far more important than AH.com, and nine days is nothing comapred to how a lot of timelines here update. Anywho, keep up the good work.

Let the Galaxy quake, for Alexander's successor walks... :p

From reading about the decay of the Russian Imperial Army and Navy Tsar Nicholas and comparing that to the modernized efficiency of the Prussian Army. It is easy to see that Nicholas I is in for a huge shock when the battling starts.

Poor Austria, so far from God, so close to Germany... and Hungary... and Italy. Ok, it just sucks to be Austria and no amount of help from the Russian bear is going to bail them out this time. Anywho, a batch of good updates since I last commented, and I'll say no need to appologize about how long it has been since the last update. Real life is far more important than AH.com, and nine days is nothing comapred to how a lot of timelines here update. Anywho, keep up the good work.

you just had to throw that LoGH reference in there did youx'D. good chapter

Sceonn: I'm glad that someone noticed my LOTGH insert. If you like the anime then you'll love what I have planned for later as mid 20th century German military is going to be staffed by a mixture of OTL officers, OC's, and all of the best admirals from Reinhard's galactic empire. Truly a fearsome sight to behold. Let's just say also that a certain Chinese immigrant by the name of Wenli will play a prominent role in the Texas Navy.

MagicalPhantom: At this point Russia hasn't exactly decayed to their full incompetency that was experienced in OTL WWI. It's important to remember that it was only 30 years ago that Russia was able to beat back Napoleon. Since then there have been some technological changes but not a large one in terms of tactics and strategy. The reasons that Prussia completely owned Austria at Breslau were:
  • Austria doesn't have any Hungarian troops in their army because of the rebellion.
  • All their best troops are currently fighting against Italy and Hungary. The army that Albrecht commanded was a poorly assembled force of those who were closest to Germany. If Franz Joseph gave him a few more months then Albrecht could've had a much more competent force.
  • Austria is the clear aggressor in this war so nobody is really motivated to fight for the Hapsburgs. The Slavs see this as a squabble between the Germans, and among the Austrians themselves many don't want to fight against the new Germany and there is still widespread revolutionary sentiment in this army.
  • Against all these odds Prussia has an incredible efficient and hugely nationalistic force of men ready to fight and die for their new country.
With all of this expect Prussia to have a good advantage over Russia, but not one where Nicholas and the big bear don't stand a chance.

Pieman: Thanks for the support. Yeah it really sucks to be Austria right now. To be fair though it has been a miracle in and of itself that this mess of nationalities was somehow able to survive since Austria's defeat in the Thirty Years War. The last oppurtunity that they ever had was Joseph and his reforms. Since then Austria was destined to fail in the modern world. Post-1846 it's only going to get worse from here.

Nightbrainzzz: Thanks for the support. Sieg Reinhard! As stated before I do plan to make LOTGH a part of my story for Lone Star Republic. If I do continue this timeline all the way to the 23rd century like I stated before then it's possible that we could have something of a Galactic German Empire under the Lohengramm dynasty. For those of you who are concerned about this, whatever I have planned for the future is going to happen that way even if I never include the LOTGH characters. Their part of Lone Star Republic is just a fun little story bit I want to have in order to pay tribute to one of the greatest pieces of literature ever.

Sceonn: I'm glad that someone noticed my LOTGH insert. If you like the anime then you'll love what I have planned for later as mid 20th century German military is going to be staffed by a mixture of OTL officers, OC's, and all of the best admirals from Reinhard's galactic empire. Truly a fearsome sight to behold. Let's just say also that a certain Chinese immigrant by the name of Wenli will play a prominent role in the Texas Navy.

If your gonna insert references to characters from Anime, will you do the same for things like Funimation and RoosterTeeth?

With all of this expect Prussia to have a good advantage over Russia, but not one where Nicholas and the big bear don't stand a chance.

Sorry about that I was getting a little overly romantic as it were. Besides that this could have implication on the future domestic and foreign policy of Tsar Nicholas I and Alexander II

Thanks for the support. Yeah it really sucks to be Austria right now. To be fair though it has been a miracle in and of itself that this mess of nationalities was somehow able to survive since Austria's defeat in the Thirty Years War. The last oppurtunity that they ever had was Joseph and his reforms. Since then Austria was destined to fail in the modern world. Post-1846 it's only going to get worse from here.

So if you plan on inserting reference to LOTGH, will you do the same for other anime series. Or better yet references to things associated with funimation or Roosterteeth?

If your gonna insert references to characters from Anime, will you do the same for things like Funimation and RoosterTeeth?

It's going to be difficult to try and cram multiple references into the timeline as I still need to focus on the historical aspects, but I'll see what I can do. As of right now the only two other anime I have thought of is Code Geass with 20th century Britain (not as an OP superpower with mechas though), and a narrative chapter in the 1910's that's related to Hellsing. But at the rate of my updates they'll be months away IRL from being written about. Speaking of Rooster Teeth and Funimation, since they're both Texas animation companies I will give them some highlight as key players of the animation industry once we reach the 1990's. They'll both be featured in my Lone Star Republic Culture posts and will have prominent roles to play as head of Texas animation for being two key developers over what I would call the genre of Neo-Anime.

It's going to be difficult to try and cram multiple references into the timeline as I still need to focus on the historical aspects, but I'll see what I can do. As of right now the only two other anime I have thought of is Code Geass with 20th century Britain (not as an OP superpower with mechas though), and a narrative chapter in the 1910's that's related to Hellsing.

I can see how the British Empire will go off the deep end politically since the quote in the Oregon War update stated that the Victorian Era was a period of decline for the British Empire. Although if it's going to be Hellsing could it PLEASE the abridged version, since it would be hilarious to have him do a Crack update.^^

Speaking of Rooster Teeth and Funimation, since they're both Texas animation companies I will give them some highlight as key players of the animation industry once we reach the 1990's. They'll both be featured in my Lone Star Republic Culture posts and will have prominent roles to play as head of Texas animation for being two key developers over what I would call the genre of Neo-Anime.

Which is why I recommended those two in the first place. Wait... if there is Neo Anime as you call it, does that mean that the US still opens up Japans borders like OTL?

Chapter 40 Might of the Magyars
Chapter 40 Might of the Magyars

"Austria-Hungary? What madness is this?! By the end of this war the Austrian Empire shall only rule supreme and the concept of Hungary will forever be wiped out from Europe."- Emperor Ferdinand I 1846
"For Saint Stephen!"- Battle cry of Hungarian revolutionaries 1846
"You complete imbecil! You caused the deaths of tens of thousands of lives to intervene for a failing empire so that half of it could not break away. You did all of this and yet Vienna never chose to help us when Victoria decided to go to war over Crimea. I can see Budapest laughing at this very moment."- Tsar Alexander II 1852

With German Unification and the Italians encroaching ever so closer to Vienna, it was clear to many that Austria had become even more volatile than the Ottomans, the traditional "sick man of Europe". What most people remember in the Danube region is not either of these conflicts though, but Hungary's war for independence. While Hungary had remained loyal for over three centuries and played a key role in several of Austria's victories over the years, never once did they receive any real power or have their rights expanded. After decades of neglect and the rise of nationalism the people of Hungary had enough and sought to gain independence and chose their own destiny. Central Europe was about to receive another key player.

Austria/Bohemia:
While the war with the Italians was still raging and Germany began unification, the Austrians decided to switch focus and bear the brunt of their strength on its traditional border with the Kingdom of Hungary. By then it was clear to many in Vienna that Italy was far beyond saving as the entire population of the Italian region had risen up against the Hapsburgs, at the moment France was unable to intervene due to the early instability of the Second Republic and it was clear no one else would become a deterrent to the Italians. On the other hand you had the new German Empire which while was becoming a threat, at the same time was still trying to focus on building its new nation. Naturally with these factors most of the war effort would be focused on preserving Hungary.
In the beginning on September 25th was the launch of the Slovakia Offensive, which as the name suggests was a thrust to control the Slovak region from falling into the hands of Hungary. It was here that Austria had the most success with Slovakia containing little if any Hungarians to support the breakaway republic. Austria was also able to quickly consolidate the region with multiple reinforcements from nearby Bohemia, main Austria, and Galicia. Over the course of October Austria consolidated its hold on the territory and kept the Slovaks loyal to the crown, causing a much needed morale boost with this strike to the Hungarians. A counteroffensive was planned in Budapest in order to retake the region and solidfy Hungarian rule. A 50,000 man army was sent to retake the region on November 2nd under the command of Gyorgy Klapka. The Hungarians found defeat however when the met the main Austrian force at the Battle of Bretislava. When the Hungarians marched to take the important regional city they were shocked to meet a stronger force of around 80,000 men with most troops coming from the Czech and Polish regions. The main cause that dealt the Hungarians a loss though was information of the battle plans being leaked to Austria by Slovak sympathizers who had managed to obtain it from Hungarian officers while they stayed at an inn. The battle was not a total victory for Austria though as they had suffered around 16,000 casualties compared to Hungary's 10,000. After the battle the Hungarian army was forced to cross back into central Hungary and were powerless as Austria confirmed its control over Slovakia. Klapka would later redeem himself though at the Battle/Siege of Buda where a valiant Hungarian defense of 75,000 led by Klapka and Kossuth himself were able to make a stand against the larger force of around 90,000 Austrian troops and protect the capitol from a hostile takeover. For over a month the two sides would fight with Austria launching multiple assaults to try and gain the capitol. Similar to the Siege of Vienna a century and a half earlier, the Hungarians had won due to far superior defenses and the greater will to protect their homeland. The battle was costly for Austria as they had over 20,000 casualties compared to Hungary's lesser but equal ratio of 15,000. On December 10th, the Austrian Army withdrew from the city after its leader, Hungarian General Heinrich Hentzi was captured and executed by Hungarian partisans. For the next two weeks Klapka rallied the Hungarian soldiers of the north to push the Austrians back into Slovakia. The fighting then stopped on the front only due to the arrival of Christmas. Further east the Ukrainian loyalists were also slowly encroaching on Hungarian territory but were stopped by the Hungarians at the city of Uzhorod where they were conducting a siege to try and take it. Any attempts to try and advance into ethnic Hungary though was met with fierce and deadly resistance.

upload_2016-11-23_2-26-59.jpeg

Battle of Budapest

Croatia:
Along with Transylvania, Croatia was perhaps the most important out of all the theaters in the war. For near millennia the Kingdom had been linked with Hungary due to a series of dynastic succession that had united the two crowns under one ruler. At first many Hungarians had thought that their brethren to the west would want to join on their quest for independence as part of the new Republic of Hungary. As stated before due to the machinations of Josip Jelacic, they had refused Hungary's offer of cooperation and stayed committed to Austria. This would not be the best choice for Croatia in the war as the Austrian defeats at Trieste and Pakozd would serve to fundamentally weaken the Croatian/Austrian hold on the territory, leaving it ripe for Hungarian conquest. After the Battle of Pakozd the Hungarians had wasted no time in striking and had launched an army of 60,000 men to force the unification of Croatia and Hungary. Over the course of three weeks the Hungarian army had marched virtually unopposed as most of the Croatian forces were trying to organize within the Kingdom or were in the middle of the Italian campaign. The main battle of this campaign was the Battle of Zagreb where a smaller force of 30,000 Croats tried to defend their capitol from the Hungarian onslaught. From October 23rd-30th the Hungarian and Croat forces had battled it out amidst the streets with Hungarian patrols being ambushed by Croat partisans while the Croats suffered massive casualties in open battles and from reigning artillery fire. With each day the Hungarian forces had surrounded the city while they also received supplies secretly from the Ottomans down south. With virtually no hope of reinforcements the government surrendered on October 30th. The Hungarians suffered 5,423 KIA, 5890 WIA, and 612 MIA to take the city. In contrast Croat casualties were high with 7,364 KIA, 6842 WIA, and the rest taken prisoner while the civilians suffered over 5,000 deaths. With the main capitol under their control the Hungarian army continued its march to the sea which it reached on November 24th. The remaining major battle of importance was the Battle of Rejicka on November 28th where the Croatian defenders under Jelacic defended the city to keep an important Adriatic port from Hungarian hands. Unlike Zagreb the Croatians had a much smaller force with only 10,000 troops and the city suffering from the ongoing (though almost over) Italian blockade. After the Hungarians defeated the Croatian army in an initial skirmish on the 28th, the cities population revolted and surrendered to the Hungarians in order to keep their city spared and continue trade with the Mediterranean. The Croatian army was blackmailed into surrender with Jelacic being shot by a group of Hungarian officers for inciting "treason" to Hungary, although rumor has it that the execution was ordered by commanding General Lajos Aulich. The Hungarians maintained their formations after that as they could not risk advancing into Dalmatia for fear of overstretching their supply lines.

upload_2016-11-23_2-27-54.jpeg

Hungarian March to the sea

Transylvania:
In Transylvania the bloodiest fighting of the war occurred not from the professional armies, but from civilians who waged a massive battle of ethnic violence against each other. The region had been highly contested for years as the Catholic Hungarians had been encroaching upon the lands of the Orthodox Romanians and forcing the process of Magyarization upon them. When Hungary declared independence, servants of Vienna had been dispatched to Transylvania and had promised the Romanian population greater autonomy and freedom from Magyarization if they fought on the side of the Hapsburg throne. Seeing this as the best chance they had in getting rid of Budapest, the Romanians rose up in revolt and started committing immense crimes against their Hungarian neighbors. Multiple atrocities were committed in the early stages of the war with Hungarians committing the same acts in retaliation. Eventually the situation had gotten so bad that only Eastern Transylvania was firmly in Hungary's grasp through the sheer tenacity and ferociousness of Hungarian partisans. Not wanting to lose this important region while other battles were still being waged along the Adriatic and Slovakia, the government in Budapest had dispatched a 55,000 men force under Henrik Dembiniski to retain the territory. At first everything seemed okay as the totality of Eastern Transylvania was swiftly captured by the Hungarians with no major battles taking place due to the bulk of the loyalist armies being deployed west. As the war went west into Transylvania however, the war got bloodier as the Hungarian army was constantly under attack by Romanian guerillas who refused to face Hungary in open combat. Terror spread through the Hungarian ranks as Transylvanians would come in the dead of night dressed as vampires and werewolves, then proceeding to massacre unsuspecting patrols and sleeping troops. While Hungary was slowly taking territory they could never find success in an open battle and were forced to play cat and mouse games with the insurgents. Perhaps the greatest gift that the Transylvanians could give Austria was the fact that they had tied down so many troops of Hungary in 1846. By the end of the year Hungary had conquered half of the region, though they were a long way from finishing.

upload_2016-11-23_2-29-21.jpeg

Ethnic violence in Transylvania

upload_2016-11-23_2-32-55.png

Map of the Hungarian Revolution by the end of 1846. Red Austria. Green Hungary.

Chapter 41 New Players Enter the Game
Chapter 41 New Players Enter the Game

"It's a shame we can't really do anything right now. I would have loved to finish what Uncle started."- President Napoleon Bonaparte III 1847
"I know that we're still in a war with the damned Americans and that they've conquered Canada by now. If we just stand by and do nothing however than Europe will forever be lost from our control."- Queen Victoria 1846
"Trust me when I say that the actions I'm about to take will be most beneficial to the motherland."- Tsar Nicholas I 1847

Even though the 1846 Revolutions started in France, for the first year it had been mainly a Central European conflict as the states of Italy, Germany, and the Hapsburg kingdoms had been fighting over nationalism and liberalization of the government. Outside of Central Europe the main responses of the 1846 Revolutions was a small period of unrest in Western Europe followed by the implementation of a new liberal government with a constitution. With German Unification, Italian Unity, and the slow collapsing of Austria, geopolitics within Europe was about to change forever as the old order which was created in the aftermath of the Congress of Vienna was about to become no more. Unfortunately for both sides depending on your viewpoint, the revolutions would not stay as internal or regional conflicts as two European powers would about to square off against each other for their support on opposing sides of the conflict in order to guarantee their position and safety on the continent. The United Kingdom and the Russian Empire.

Even as the American Armies were sweeping through the Canadian frontier, the primary attention of the British public and government remained focus on Europe. While it would be embarrassing to once again lose to their former colonies, Britain would be far more impacted if Europe turned into a hostile state that would once again challenge British supremacy in the globe just as Napoleon had done three decades prior. Ironically this time France would not at all be the cause of Britain's stress (not for another decade at least), no this time the main worry lied within the new state of Germany. For the last century Britain had maintained a strong amount of interest and participation within German affairs as their Kings were also the Electors of Hanover. With the end of the Holy Roman Empire and the separation of Hanover and Britain, many within Britain thought that the whole German question would be put behind them, they were wrong. For decades Foreign Ministers of the United Kingdom had looked worryingly to Germany as they saw a region that was industrializing at a near equal rate to Britain and could one day challenge her in world influence and control on European affairs. For decades the monarchs of Britain had ignored the matter as Hanover's independence was still secure while the fractured state of Austria was still its leader. Now Germany was an united empire under Prussia with the possibility of becoming the next Napoleonic Empire while Hanover was under constant siege for annexation. What was worse is that Germany actually supported the liberal reforms of its revolutionaries, threatening the social balance in Britain with the ongoing Chartist movement and labor division. For the last two months of 1846 the Prime Minister's cabinet held constant meetings with the queen over Germany even though the Royal Army was advocating for more attention to its war with America. There was constant bickering and talks of deals going back and forward until a new plan had been reached by Christmas day. According to the will of the Queen and the cabinet, Britain would not take action against Germany but instead become its ally in Europe. The reason for this new shift was due to fear's of France, which was increasingly moving to the future Second French Empire under Napoleon III, and the rise of Russia which was encroaching upon Ottoman territory and was beginning to start the Great Game in Central Asia. Germany was seen as the perfect solution to these two threats by acting as a counterbalance that would prevent them from uniting as well as providing a front for either side in a possible war. At the same time Prussia was focused on European development and as leader of Germany it would never be a colonial powerhouse. By the beginning of next year Terms were sent to Kaiser Wilhelm detailing Britain's demands in return for support and recognition. They were:
  1. The annexation of Hanover as an autonomous state in the federal structure of the German Empire with Ernst Augustus being retained as King.
  2. A betrothal of Princess Victoria to Imperial Crown Prince Fredrick
  3. A secret clause detailing support against either France or Russia in a war. An open defense pact would also be signed
  4. Heligioland would be transferred to British control.
  5. Agreement of the Royal Navy maintaining a larger fleet ratio than Germany.
  6. Recognition of Britain's current and future plans for colonial expansion.
When met with all of these terms Wilhelm could not be happier. Germany could still keep its status as the premier power on the mainland while it received large support from the largest empire in the world. While some concessions had to be made these were all minor in the grand scheme of things and well worth Germany's annexation of Hanover and its protection in the earliest stages of unity. The later called Amsterdam agreement (for the negotiations over terms would take place in Amsterdam) was signed on January 9th, marking the beginning of the Anglo-German alliance. Unfortunately for Britain while it was beginning its invasion of America, Russia would be making its own moves that would force London to respond in defense of its new ally.

images

Fredrick and Victoria. Living proof of the Anglo-German alliance.

When it comes to rulers of nations most historians can agree that there were few who were so successful and yet complete failures such as Tsar Nicholas I. Nicholas came to power after the Decembrist Revolt and because of both this and the earlier radicalism of the French Revolution, caused him to rule as a complete autocrat with only the welfare of the state in mind. According to Nicholas's central principles, the Army was the most important part of the nation and it should be dedicated to expanding the empire at any cost. Unlike the Prussian model though, Nicholas never bothered to reform his military or also make sure that the military and by extension the government was one that would be enacted for the welfare of its citizens. For the first twenty years of his reign Nicholas expanded Russia to great lengths but never bothered to enact a single reform for its citizens. At the same time Nicholas was a firm supporter in the Holy Alliance, a unofficial militarily alliance made up of Prussia, Austria, and Russia to maintain balance and support the retaining of Christian and Conservative principles. Over the years this alliance failed as Wilhelm came to power as a slightly pragmatic King while Austria continued to grow weaker. Still relations were close between Austria and Russia as they both shared the same goal of retaining absolute monarchy, fighting against the Turk, and keeping to the old ways. When the 1846 Revolutions came about Nicholas was in a state of total shock. When he looked at German Unification he saw the potential for a Second Napoleon (ironically never actually paying any attention to the REAL second Napoleon) that would one day seek to annex all of Western Russia as its own. Hungary was also seen as a threat to Nicholas because if the Hungarians were successful then ethnic minorities in the empire such as the Poles, Baltics, and Ukrainians would also want independence. In order to protect the future of Russia and the Romanovs Nicholas had to act now or doom his successors to deal with multiple rebellions and the rise of a German state (once again while still not understanding that revolts would still happen due to his poor rule). Many of Nicholas's advisors begged him to stay nuetral as this was a German problem and would not affect Russia at all. Nicholas would have none of it. Once his mind was made up there was no going. Back. So shortly after the events of September Russia began the process of mobilization for its massive Imperial Army. When the snows of winter melted the fury of the Bear would be unleashed unto Central Europe.

220px-Franz_Kr%C3%BCger_-_Portrait_of_Emperor_Nicholas_I_-_WGA12289.jpg
upload_2016-11-25_2-37-47.jpeg

Tsar Nicholas I (Right) Mobilization of the Russian Army (Left)

A/N: As a little PSA I'd like to officially apologize and state that I won't be able to update "Lone Star Republic" daily or as frequently as I was before. On Tuesday I posted "Gihren's Glory" on the ASB page and while I initially thought that it would get a mild response, I've been getting tons of likes and people demanding for more. I'll still update to twice a week at the minimum but my attention will now have to be divided between Lone Star and Gihren's Glory for the future. The new goal is to definitely start 1861 by Christmas. Here is a small preview of future updates. Chapter 42 Star Spangled Supreme. Chapter 43 Viennese Waltz. Chapter 44 Hungary's Stand.

Chapter 42 Star Spangled Supreme.
Sounds like we may be seeing the Oregon War again in the next couple of days.

Anywho, a good update and I like how Europe is taking shape. This new Anglo-German alliance stands the potential to be a real powerhouse between now and the Great War if it holds together for the next few decades. Sure, if Britain is thrown out of North America they will be a little weaker than OTL, but they will still be a force to be reckoned with into the 20th century.

Lastly (for now), good luck with the new timeline.

On Tuesday I posted "Gihren's Glory" on the ASB page and while I initially thought that it would get a mild response, I've been getting tons of likes and people demanding for more.

Even though I have no familiarity with the series, I can bet that it is good enough for fans to want more after reading your writing on Lone Star Republic. Also what makes Mobile Suit Gundam great in your opinion?

Sounds like we may be seeing the Oregon War again in the next couple of days.

Anywho, a good update and I like how Europe is taking shape. This new Anglo-German alliance stands the potential to be a real powerhouse between now and the Great War if it holds together for the next few decades. Sure, if Britain is thrown out of North America they will be a little weaker than OTL, but they will still be a force to be reckoned with into the 20th century.

Lastly (for now), good luck with the new timeline.

Even though I have no familiarity with the series, I can bet that it is good enough for fans to want more after reading your writing on Lone Star Republic. Also what makes Mobile Suit Gundam great in your opinion?

Pieman: As of right now there are two chapters I have left planned for the Oregon War, Chapter 42 and the final one dealing the end of the war and the treaty. The Anglo-German Alliance will be the first major divergence in European politics as these two states will be friends for the next half a century and become a key cornerstone of European politics. Great Britain will still be a force to be reckoned with as their conquest of India and territorial expansion in the Eastern Hemisphere is still going as planned. In the next few decades you'll also start to see new alliances to be formed against Britain who is this TL's "Germany". Thanks for the support.

MagicalPhantom: Thanks for the compliment. Gundam is great in my opinion because it combines good storytelling with real robot action and doesn't easily go for the cliches. It's not my favorite franchise though as the millenial Gundams have been increasingly focusing on kids as the protagonists while the mobile suit warfare gets way too overpowered for the protagonists and becomes more unrealistic. The best show's are the ones that belong to the Universal Century with my starting point being 0079 (original Gundam), 08th MS Team, 0080: War in the Pocket, Thunderbolt (Read the manga!), and 0083: Stardust Memory. The main reason why I chose Gundam as my timeline is because I wanted something different and original besides another ASOIAF, 40K, Harry Potter, or Fallout story. Hopefully everything works out in the end.

Gundam is great in my opinion because it combines good storytelling with real robot action and doesn't easily go for the cliches. It's not my favorite franchise though as the millenial Gundams have been increasingly focusing on kids as the protagonists while the mobile suit warfare gets way too overpowered for the protagonists and becomes more unrealistic. The best show's are the ones that belong to the Universal Century with my starting point being 0079 (original Gundam), 08th MS Team, 0080: War in the Pocket, Thunderbolt (Read the manga!), and 0083: Stardust Memory. The main reason why I chose Gundam as my timeline is because I wanted something different and original besides another ASOIAF, 40K, Harry Potter, or Fallout story. Hopefully everything works out in the end.

I actually have that same opinion when it comes to Telltales "The Walking Dead" series or better the Transformers franchise(ignoring story). Although I do know that the series has been neutered so to speak in the more recent reiterations of the show. So which series do you think is best for introducing newcomers to the series.

Chapter 42 Star Spangeled Supreme
Chapter 42 Star Spangled Supreme

"You limey's think you can come and burn Washington just like you did 30 years ago? Not today my friend."- Captain Robert E. Lee 1847
"We started this infernal war over trees and beavers and we come out losing Quebec. It was a mistake to trust those Frenchman and it was a mistake to start another war with America."- Lord John Russel 1847
"Can you believe how badly those army idiots screwed up. At least the Royal Navy will never be responsible for losing a war, that's for damn sure."- Commander Howard Gordon 1847

By the end of 1846 it seemed that the Oregon War was already an American victory. Due to a swift blitzkrieg along with the aid of the Quebecois, the United States was able to conquer a majority of Canada and now had the entirety of Oregon under its control. While the Royal Navy had near control of the ocean and America could not hope to invade Britain, the United States reigned were the masters of North America and would not give up an inch of their new territories without a fight. Yet, despite these conditions the British refused to back down even when they were being drawn closer into the conflict of German Unification every day. During the winter of '46 as the United States consolidated its gains and prepared for its defenses, Great Britain was preparing a massive invasion force to one retake Canada and hopefully knock off a few stars from the flag. Already the Royal Navy had near naval superiority and Great Britain and the British economy appeared to be strong enough to finance the war for several years. An expedition force of around 60,000 British regular forces were created with the intent of launching an invasion at three points; Washington, Quebec, and New Orleans. Queen Victoria and her council felt confident of their chances as in their viewpoint the British Army was the greatest force in the entire war and had been successfully winning multiple colonial conflicts around the globe for the past two decades. These nobles were confident of their chances due to their victories in the Napoleonic Wars three decades ago and the assumed superior fighting capabilities of a British regular to an "backwards American hillbilly". Multiple times in preparation the head staff of the Royal Army begged her majesty for the recruitment of more men from Britain's population, the chance to wait until more reinforcements came from India, or for the three separate divisions to be consolidated into one main invasion force. Victoria would have none of it. Britain would strike the Americans in three decisive blows and they would once again show which empire reigned supreme across the globe. The Royal Armada set sail on February 27th. They would arrive in America six weeks later around Mid-April. Britain believed that the war would be won by the end of the year, they were wrong.

Quebec: The British Invasion of Quebec is a rather popular topic that is discussed in many of the Texan military academies today as an invasion plan that sounds good on paper but should never have been implemented. At the time Quebecois nationalism was at an extreme high with tens of thousands of Quebecois joining the revolutionary army that was being formed in Quebec City, additionally the former new nation was constructing defenses all around the coast and in the interior as the people of Quebec were keen on this uprising failing for a second time in another British invasion. While all this was going on those soldiers in the Royal Armada were expecting to be welcomed as liberators like they were in the War of 1812 when the people of Quebec cheered as the British came in to push the Americans out. The biggest difference between now and then was the fact that back then the United States looked to conquer Quebec, now they were being portrayed as the liberators. What made matters worse is that the extra time needed to sail to the St. Lawrence River had given the Quebecois and Americans weeks in advance to prepare for a British attack. When the British did come in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence they were also constantly harassed by the American ships stationed in the gulf, causing the British to lose 7 ships before the invasion and around 3,000 soldiers. Finally on May 19th, the British entered the Saint Lawrence River and prepared for a massive assault on Quebec City to take it back from the Americans. What they did not expect was for the entire population of Quebec City to be against them. Under the combined leadership of General Winfield Scott, the Americans and Quebecois constantly hammered the British ships and men on shore with multiple artillery bombardments that were stationed around the city. When the Royal Marines and Regulars did reach the shores they found miles of traps along the beach and fire from riflemen that were covered in trenches and behind steel walls. To say that it was a 19th century reenactment of the Calais Assault was quite true. Eventually the large quantity of British troops managed to pull through but they also met fierce street fighting from the civilian guerillas and American army in the city, who now numbered 30,000 within the cities limits. By the time dusk fell the British assault split off into two different forces, those who retreated back to the ships and those who elected to escape the city and into the mainland under Brigadier Neville Jenkins. Unfortunately for the 5,000 soldiers who did chose this route, they would be unable to be reinforced by the Royal Navy as they could not establish a safe port on the coast. For a single month these men ran through the Canadian wilderness in a desperate attempt to get the civilians to join their side in staging a grand revolt against the Americans, only to find that every town they ran into supported the new Republic of Quebec. On June 24th the men of the expeditionary force got tired of their conditions and staged a mutiny against Jenkins, then immediately surrendering to the American Army. With the inability to find a good staging ground in Quebec the Northern Expedition simply retreated to Nova Scotia where they hoped to make a base of operations and wait for further reinforcements and supplies. These men would become instrumental in the war by defending the peninsula against the American forces that attempted to gain access to the last British territory in mainland North America. The Quebec campaign was very costly for the British as they had lost 2,247 KIA, 1,903 MIA, and over 6,412 POW. The Americans and Quebecois suffered 1,422 Killed and 1,965 wounded.

upload_2016-11-28_22-6-38.jpeg

Quebec Campaign

Washington: Once again this time around the British chose Washington as an objective in order to knock out the capitol, hopefully capture the government, and force the Americans to a quick surrender. This time however they would be meet with the bulk of the American Navy as a flotilla of over 35 ships, half of which being steam vessels, met the Royal Armada in Chesapeake in order to prevent a second burning of Washington from happening again. In contrast the British ships had over 50 armed vessels but most of them were reliant on the traditional sail power and had less obsolete canons due to their constant usage in small colonial conquests. The Battle of the Chesapeake was the largest naval battle of the war on May 1st as the bay became filled with gunpowder as constant barrages came from the large warships in the bay while Marines faced off in boarding combat and some ships had to resort to raming in order to fulfill their objectives. Ultimately it was a tactical draw as the Americans lost 13 ships compared to the British losses of 17, it was however a strategic victory as the battle allowed the British flotilla to sneak by and land near the capitol. As soon as the British landed the evacuation order was sounded and the people were sent into a panic, thousands tried to leave the city in order to escape a burning while congressmen gathered their belongings and headed up North to flee to Philadelphia and set up an interim government there. One man who would not abandon the city though was President William Henry Harrison. Old Tippecanoe had been dying to enter the fields of battle once again and saw this as his chance to take command while the Union's best generals were across the nation or in Canada. Vice President Webster pleaded constantly for his superior to flee with him to Philadelphia, to this William Harrison said, "While I was off fighting Injuns the damn British burned our capitol to ashes, they looted Washington, ravaged the countryside, and destroyed everything that stood for liberty. I will stand here and show them why the President takes an Oath to defend the Constitution. Take Anna with you and bring as many national treasures that you can carry. If I die then I'll make sure to see old Vicky in hell." With those words President Harrison put on his old Generals Uniform and equipped himself with sabre and pistol, becoming the first President since Washington to take field command in wartime. For two months the Battle of Washington raged as the Royal Army under Major General Arthur Wellesley (Son of his father the famous Duke of Wellington) battled it out with the 25,000 American defenders while the Royal Navy patrolled the coast of the Chesapeake, despite numerous attempts by the American Navy to reach through. The fighting was fierce and bloody as for every foot the British gained they took ten casualties in return. The Americans fought like hell to defend their capitol while having a high morale due to their President standing in the front lines with them during the fighting. Everytime the British neared a major landmark or government office they would be met with multiple waves of American troops who fought to the death in order to prevent a second burning. The most memorable occasion was the Battle of the Monument where the British attempted to launch a bombardment on the Washington Monument and were faced with retaliation by a thousand man cavalry charge that virtually overwhelmed the battalion sent to deface the monument, leaving no survivors, Miraculously the Monument along with other major buildings such as Congress and the White House survived the entire battle unscathed, prompting the creation of the Oregon War Memorial by President Lincoln in 1868. To give the British credit they had fought hard throughout the battle and had maintained a strong dedication throughout the first half. The tide of the Battle turned in June as reinforcements kept on pouring in from the South in the thousands along with the battle hardened veterans of the Canadian campaigns. The Royal Navy could not supply the troops long enough for the six week supply chain and on June 30th the leading Naval officer Rear Admiral Horatio Roberts decided to retreat, unfortunately they could not escape with the Royal Army as a suprise raid by the Americans on the 29th caused every single troop transport in the harbor to be sunk or too damaged to set sail. Faced with the prospect of total annihilation, the Duke of Wellington surrendered on the 4th of July. The aftermath of the battle would render it the bloodiest of the war as the British lost over 15,000 casualties while the Americans suffered over 13,000.The Battle of Washington would become a huge morale boost for the Americans as they had protected their capitol from conquest, especially with the battle ending on Independence Day. It would also catapult Harrison's popularity to that near equal Washington's as the man added the title Defender of D.C to his long list of achievements.

images

"Harrison Defending the Republic" a largely fictionalized image of Harrison during the Battle of Washington inspired by "Washington Crossing the Delaware"

Gulf Coast: Further south the British had experience much more success then their counterparts up North but never enough to turn back the tide of war. On June 2nd the British landed near the mouth of the Mississippi and then proceeded to capture the capitol of Louisiana, Baton Rouge, on June 6th. Further south they met sent a force to capture New Orleans on the 9th but fortunately for the Americans they were able to defend the city under the command of Militia Colonel Henry Jackson (of no relation to Andrew Jackson) due to captured intelligence of the plans by Creole spies and help from some of the first river monitors on the Mississippi, driving the British into the swamp and causing them to back out from the city. Nevertheless the British decided to enact total control of the Gulf instead of focusing on the Mississippi in order to prepare fro reinforcements from Britain at a later date. Through the rest of the month the British captured Biloxi, Mobile, and Pensacola from the Americans as the Royal Navy held superiority at sea and often supported the invasions. Another factor that contributed to the British success was the sending of the local forces and volunteers to Washington or Canada. Enraged that his former state of Georgia could be invaded next, Texas President Mirabeau Lamar sent an arms package of over 10,000 rifles and pistols across the Sabine to help the Southern militia. In addition the Texas Congress ratified a treaty that it had been earlier sent from the State Department that allowed American merchants and sailors to fly under the Texas flag and be under Texan escort as part of its merchant navy in a temporary contract during the war. This benefited both parties as Texas trade increased incredibly while the Americans were able to still trade with Europe. For over two months the British gradually took control of the coast and even promised to free some of the slaves on the plantations, something that angered the Southern population greatly. By the end of June virtually the southern half of Mississippi and Alabama along with Western Florida and Eastern Louisiana were under British control. It was this greed that unfortunately for the British caught them at their worse as their supply lines were becoming overextended which made it easy for southern militias and guerillas to commit hit and run tactics on unsuspecting troops. The tide turned at the Battle of Montgomery where the Alabama 1st and 2nd were able to defend the state capitol from an British attack by an opposing force of 1500. Soon as summer settled in, reinforcements came in from the various southern states along with some veterans from Washington. Slowly but surely the British were pushed back to the coast by the beginning of fall. They would've been able to keep the coast under their control with help from the Royal Navy, but unfortunately most of the British military was now focused on the Russian Intervention in Germay and thus could not provide support. Gradually before the end of the year the British army of the South retreated and were forced to turn to Jamaica, the last southern city liberated was Biloxi on December 1st. The overall casualties of the campaign were around 10,000 British and 12,000 for the Americans. By Christmas there were no more British on American soil and the war was now restricted back to the Atlantic, where the Americans were slowly scoring minor victories with the majority of the Royal Navy being deployed to the Mediterranean and the Baltic. The Stars and Stripes were victorious and began preparation for a possible fourth invasion of their soil. For both sides the Oregon War would officially end next year.

upload_2016-11-28_22-10-52.jpeg

Battle of Montgomery

Last edited:
Your giving Britain an awful lot of real bad luck.

Also how is Lamar sending supplies across the Nueces helping Americans fight the British in the south.

Also 10,000 arms from Texas? that's an awful lot from it right now. their army doesnt r number much more than that

Your giving Britain an awful lot of real bad luck.

Also how is Lamar sending supplies across the Nueces helping Americans fight the British in the south.

Also 10,000 arms from Texas? that's an awful lot from it right now. their army doesnt r number much more than that

It seems like a trend in British history where they only win wars that are dragged out for extended periods of time.

Herricks: Britain is going to have multiple achievements and victories between now and the Great War. The Oregon War just isn't one of them and the 1840's are really a bad time for Britain. Reason that they're losing is because America has an improved military, is semi-industrialized, they have the aid of the Quebecois, there is a near two month distance from North America to Europe, they're focused more on Germany, and Britain hasn't enlarged their military yet.

I meant for Lamar to send them across the Sabine. It's meant to help the American defenders by having more ammo and guns to fight the British while the rest of the army runs back from the North.

You have to remember that Texas had 15,000 men participate in the Border Wars so there's many excess firearms in the Republic's arsenal. Also I said earlier that Colt had moved his company to Texas, bringing a major producer of arms. It's not like Lamar sent them all at once but rather in packages for the rest of the war. Think of lend-lease where Texas sends the guns during the conflict and the US pays them afterwords.

Magicalphatom: Britain could've won but they made some major strategic blunders and right now they're about to commit most of their forces to Europe. Also Britain didn't have a massive army at the time like Russia or Prussia with hundreds of thousands of men. Their regular forces were usually between 100-200,000. They definitely can win over a large series of time but there is a HUGE domestic reason why they can't fight for years that I will expand upon in the next and final Oregon War post (It's the Corn Laws).