Should the President be able to be re-elected in consecutive terms?

• Yes

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Britain could've won but they made some major strategic blunders and right now they're about to commit most of their forces to Europe. Also Britain didn't have a massive army at the time like Russia or Prussia with hundreds of thousands of men. Their regular forces were usually between 100-200,000. They definitely can win over a large series of time but there is a HUGE domestic reason why they can't fight for years that I will expand upon in the next and final Oregon War post (It's the Corn Laws).

So will this lead to much needed military reform for the british army, or not?

"Can you believe how badly those army idiots screwed up. At least the Royal Navy will never be responsible for losing a war, that's for damn sure."- Commander Howard Gordon 1847
Be careful what you say Mr. Gordon. Words have a way of coming back to haunt people.

Oregon War Memorial by President Lincoln in 1868.
Now I remember you saying the US Civil War starts on time if under different circumstances, and I remember you saying Lincoln is president during the war. So I gather from this he is going to live to see the end of his second term in this timeline. Good for him, and good for the country.

Anywho, I really enjoyed the update, and even though a good chunk of the USA's success comes from factors outside their control it is great to see them doing so well in this war. They really have become a far different beast from OTL, and I look forward to seeing where they go from here. Also, Harrison is in a good place to be the country's most bad ass president. When Theodore Roosevelt shows up he is really going to have to work to claim the title in this world (assuming he is going to show up and be president of course).

It seems like a trend in British history where they only win wars that are dragged out for extended periods of time.
Except for the US revolution, or the hundred years war.

So will this lead to much needed military reform for the british army, or not?

Be careful what you say Mr. Gordon. Words have a way of coming back to haunt people.

Now I remember you saying the US Civil War starts on time if under different circumstances, and I remember you saying Lincoln is president during the war. So I gather from this he is going to live to see the end of his second term in this timeline. Good for him, and good for the country.

Anywho, I really enjoyed the update, and even though a good chunk of the USA's success comes from factors outside their control it is great to see them doing so well in this war. They really have become a far different beast from OTL, and I look forward to seeing where they go from here. Also, Harrison is in a good place to be the country's most bad ass president. When Theodore Roosevelt shows up he is really going to have to work to claim the title in this world (assuming he is going to show up and be president of course).

Except for the US revolution, or the hundred years war.

Did the British free any slaves during the Southern Campaign?

Speaking of slaves... Doesn't Texas still have slaves in here? Heck, how is Texas doing with slaves if they do have them? Also, are we past the point where British ended slavery in OTL and TTL?

Magicalphantom: Yes and no. It's going to be a bit complicated since while Britain was defeated they did not lose due to their millitary being entirely weaker than America's. I'll talk about that once we have the whole 1846 Arc done and the next conflict with Britain arises.

Pieman: Yes, Lincoln will see two terms. I admit I was extremely tempted to say that his successor would be the one to open up the Oregon War memorial, but doing that would spoil the entirety of the Civil War. The beginning of the Civil War will also show a big reason why Booth will not assassinate Lincoln. Also his continued living along with the policies of Lincoln's successors will dramatically change Post-Civil War America.

Traveller76: Yes, Britain freed around thousands of numbers of slaves but not enough to make a huge dent in the Southern Economy. That will be a factor in peace relations and Britain in the Civil War later on.

Magni Imitator: Texas still has slavery and it's legal across the entirety of the nation. However, most slaves are east of the Nueces due to a majority of cotton plantations being there, and slavery is not really a popular thing in California. As of right now Texas has a slave population roughly around 15,000 due to the low population density of the nation and the abolition movements among the Tejanos, Germans, and French. Even by the time slavery will be abolished in Texas its never going to be as big as America's. As of right now though things are pretty stable on the slave issue and there aren't any big divisions over the problem. I will dedicate a post to slavery in Texas before the Mexican War, during the late 1850's. Britain abolished slavery in 1834, two years before the POD. The remaining slave nations are Texas, United States, Brazil, and Spain.

Chapter 43 and 44 will be posted by the end of the week.

Deleted member 82792

When does Texas started trading with British colonies like India and Australia?

When does Texas started trading with British colonies like India and Australia?

As of right now after the Border Wars, Texas is currently focusing on development of California. That will all start to come into play in the 1850's after the California Gold Rush prompts a HUGE spike in immigration that will make California have a high population density and develop its Pacific Coast for trade with Asia. The 1850's is going to be a good decade from Texas as it becomes a true nation by starting the development of the rest of the Republic besides just Texas proper. Here is what trade will be in the next three decades:
  • 1850's: Birth of Trade with Asia and beginnings of early routes with China, Australia, Japan.
  • 1860's: Consolidation of Trade system and connection with the state of Texas due to creation of Continental railroad.
  • 1870's: Full trade status with Asia achieved and beginning of Pacific Colonization.
By the way in reference to the ongoing wars I've planned everything out and the 1846 conflicts will stop by Chapter 50. Chapter 50 will be about Lamar's final term and the Gold Rush. Until then I will try to do my best to finish the chapters and I am currently working on 43 and 44.

As of right now after the Border Wars, Texas is currently focusing on development of California. That will all start to come into play in the 1850's after the California Gold Rush prompts a HUGE spike in immigration that will make California have a high population density and develop its Pacific Coast for trade with Asia. The 1850's is going to be a good decade from Texas as it becomes a true nation by starting the development of the rest of the Republic besides just Texas proper.

I realized that Texas only hold California by a small sliver of land, will there be disputes between Texas and Rio Grande in the future over this?

Here is what trade will be in the next three decades:
  • 1850's: Birth of Trade with Asia and beginnings of early routes with China, Australia, Japan.
  • 1860's: Consolidation of Trade system and connection with the state of Texas due to creation of Continental railroad.
  • 1870's: Full trade status with Asia achieved and beginning of Pacific Colonization.
By the way in reference to the ongoing wars I've planned everything out and the 1846 conflicts will stop by Chapter 50. Chapter 50 will be about Lamar's final term and the Gold Rush. Until then I will try to do my best to finish the chapters and I am currently working on 43 and 44.

Will the presence of Texas cause any changes for the countries and European Colonies that lie in the Asian part of the Pacific in the future?

I realized that Texas only hold California by a small sliver of land, will there be disputes between Texas and Rio Grande in the future over this?

Will the presence of Texas cause any changes for the countries and European Colonies that lie in the Asian part of the Pacific in the future?

The whole boundary dispute with the Rio Grande will be solved with the Third President of Texas after the Gold Rush and Lamar leaves office.

Texas will definitely cause some changes to the European colonies as the United States no longer has its dominant presence on the west coast with California. Even with Oregon its going to take decades to develop that region into a status similar to British Columbia and Washington today. Everything the Untied States touched will be affected but some colonies such as Australia and Indonesia, won't really change that much until the 20th century. Update coming later today.

Chapter 43 Viennese Waltz
Chapter 43 Viennese Waltz

"I am Emperor of the Germans. Austria is German. Therefore Austria is mine."- Kaiser Wilhelm I 1847
"Thank God for Russia."- Emperor Franz Joseph I 1847
"So let me get this straight. We are currently losing a war against America, FOR THE THIRD TIME. Quebec has risen against us and we may forever lose our influence in the Americas. And yet the Queen has the audacity to send our boys to help the Germans when it's going to benefit us in no way whatsoever, thousands of English dead for a foreign crown. while our former colonies mock us across the pond. God save the Queen, yeah right."- Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston 1847

After the passing of the Imperial Constitution and the ascension of Wilhelm Hohenzollern as Kaiser, there was no denying that the German Empire was a new force on the continent that would stay for quite a while. What came next though was the debate on how to properly settle the Greater German question. Not a Germany led by Austria of course, but one united that would be led by Prussia. Much of South Germany was content to stay the way it was as they did not want to fight their Austrian brethren who were allies only a year ago, and they also feared that this could lead to a greater empowerment of Prussia. Many also pointed out that Austria had a special status due to its former position as head of the Holy Roman Empire. Germans all over the nation voiced their concerns on whether or not a united Germany would also include Hungary and the Slavic lands, as it would be "polluting" the German nation with non-Germans and would cause numerous issues down the road with language barriers. The Conservatives and Catholics were against this plan while the Liberals and Nationalists were all for it, though the nationalists advocated for the annexation of Bohemia and Slovenia. All sides were pretty much in agreement that Hungary needed to be kept independent. The final decision belonged to Kaiser Wilhelm. As "Emperor of the Germans", Wilhelm used this as a pretext for annexation all of German Austria. Making a grand speech before the Frankfurt Parliment (Berlin would not be chosen as the Imperial Capitol until 1849), Wilhelm cried out for the unification of all Germans and for the downfall of the Hapsburgs that so desired to desperately deny its citizens the rights that they would deserve. With the Liberals and Nationalists maintaining a huge majority in the first session, Wilhelm got his wish and war was declared upon the Austrian Empire on December 7th. With the invasion beginning next year.

When word of the war deceleration reached Austria, the Imperial family was in a panic. After the disastrous defeat at Breslau, Franz Joseph expected Germany to mind its own affairs and built its new Empire, not invade Austria. Quickly defenses were being sprawled along the hundreds of miles wide border and troops from Italy were being redirected to the German border while Austrian diplomats tried desperately to reach a peace with Italy, which they managed to achieve on Christmas. Unfortunately from Austria the troops could not be entirely focused on defense or training as uprising sprang up all over Austria by German Nationalists, therefore forcing the Austrian Army to be deployed to quell the insurgents. While all this was going on plans were being made in Berlin to conquer Vienna. The troops that made up the Southern German Kingdoms would be sent along the French border in order to prevent Napoleon from gaining any ideas of repeating his Uncle's success. This caused a total reassignment of 300,000 troops along the Alsace-Lorraine border. By this point the Prussian/Northern Armies had reached a combined total of 1,200,000 men through the mobilization of the reserves and the mass volunteering from the masses. 300,000 were sent to the Russian Border not with the objective of defending from a possible invasion as it would later prove, but to secure it from the still restless Polish Nationalists. The rest were sent down south in three Army Groups; The 1st Army with the job of capturing Vienna, the 2nd Army with the job of capturing Bohemia, and the 3rd Army which would sweep Southern Austria and would link up with the 1st to capture Vienna. Preparations were made and the official invasion began on March 1st.

images

German Nationalists preached about Unification in Vienna

Bohemia: The 2nd Army was the one that would encounter the most resistance within Austria as the Czechs were in no mood to join the new Empire. They were in the process of gaining more rights from the Hapsburg's and would definitely not receive language recognition in a total German state. Within the first two weeks the Sudetenland had fallen quickly due to popular support, after that it was one giant onslaught against the Czech wall. Slowly the German Army made their way across Bohemia as they encountered stiff resistance from the Native Czech Army led by Field Marshal Alfred Ferdinand, that did not suffer from disunity or revolutionary unrest as the German Austrians did. The first two prominent battles of the campaign were the Battles of Ohre and Silesia in which German Field Marshal Siegried von Lohengram, advanced in order to secure the German areas of Bohemia and surround Prauge. The Battle of Ohre was a total victory as the woefully prepared Czechs of 30,000 defenders could not make a decisive stand against the 75,000 Prussian forces and had to retreat across the river. The Battle of Silesia was by far the bloodier battle as the Austrian Major General Erich Rudolf would refuse to surrender the territory and due to Prussia and Austria's centuries long conflict over the region. The Battle of Silesia took place from March 8th-10th with 100,000 German soldiers and 80,000 Austrians as the woods of Silesia became littered with dead bodies from Germans and Czechs, the Germans winning the battle only due to the superior tactical maneuvering of Lohengramm and the numerical superiority of the German cavalry with the majority of Austria's cavalry being deployed to Hungary. From that battle the Germans took almost 20,000 casualties while Austria managed to produce over 22,000 casualties. With both the Sudentanland and Silesia falling, the German Army was directed towards Prague in order to capture the heart of Bohemia. This time the Germans would face defeat as the Czech's fought like hell to retain their glorious capitol and had directed most of their forces here, causing a 180,000 defense. 215,000 troops under Lohengramm were sent to battle against Albert's army amid the outskirts of Prague on the 17th. Here the Czechs were able to gain an advantage due to superior fortifications and the concentration of most of Bohemia's artillery from the region in the capitol. During the battle the Northern flank was taken by German forces after facing a heavy amount of opposition while the Eastern Flanks and Southern flanks were in Czech hands, the Western side of the city in open contestment. The battle would rage on for five days but there was little move of territory and the lines soon became stationary. Recognizing that the opportunity was lost, Lohengramm called off the attacks on the 23rd and instead created a siege around Prague. Tactically this was a Czech/Austrian victory as the Germans had suffered 30,000 casualties while Austria only suffered 19,000. Strategically the battle was a German victory as with most of the enemy forces concentrated in Prague, Lohenmgramm could send half of the German forces around the rest of the countryside to capture the now defenseless territory for Germany. During all of May the siege continued while German forces now controlled 2/3rds of Bohemia.

images

Field Marshall Lohengramm and his staff plan the Occupation of Bohemia and Siege of Prague

Vienna: Under the command of Field Marshall Helmuth von Multke, the 1st Army entered Central Austria in a bid to seize Vienna. It was here that the heaviest fighting with Austrian and German forces would commence due to the battle for what many called the Rome of Central Europe. Upper Austria and Salzburg were the first to fall as German Nationalists flocked to the banner of the Second Reich and helped coordinate with the approaching German Armies to seize the numerous cities that layed among the border. Unfortunately cooperation was not a majority among the population as many Austrians were at the same point now starting to see the Germans as foreign invaders that wished to make them slaves under Protestant Prussia. So while the 1st Army advanced they were also met with much guerilla warfare and having to sidetrack for the need to establish order. The two main battles of the first month were the Battles of Salzburg and Linz were the German Army was divided into two and managed to take both the cities from the 14th-17th and 16th-18th respectively. The main reason that both of those cities fell was due to the Austrian Army diverting most of their forces to Vienna in order to make a final stand reminiscent of the Siege of Vienna in 1683. As April ended and the Germans advanced into Lower Austria they started to meet tougher resistance due to reinforcements from the untouched eastern parts of the army. In Vienna Franz Joseph was embarrassingly forced to reinstate Albrecht as a Field Marshall and give him command of the defense of Vienna as there were few major Austrian Generals left that were up to the task. The Germans finally reached Vienna on April 20th and began the Battle of Vienna. Similar to Prague, the battle took an entire week as the Austrians made risky and sometimes suicidal moves as there was nothing left to lose, and threw almost everything they had into the German force. At the start of the Battle where was 230,000 Germans and 275,000 Austrians with the Austrian force actually composed of the best regiments and troops from around the Empire as they were called to defend the capitol. The Germans experienced mix success as they caused heavy casualties and took some territory but at the same time would be pushed back and take heavy losses. Artillery barrages raged for hours long and the cavalry always seemed to be in motion while the troops would march up and down the field. The end of the Battle caused 33,523 KIA, 28,455 WIA, and 10,986 POW. For the Austrians it was 38,210 KIA, 30,460 WIA, and 14,213 POW. Moltke was forced to back off from Vienna as he could not risk charging against the equally matched army or risk a chance of the Austrians gaining an upper hand and launching a counterattack into Bavaria, undoing much of Germany's progress of Unification. So Moltke retreated to about 15 miles from the city and had his army consolidate the rest of their captured territory. Their signal to move would be when reinforcements from the 3rd arrived.

upload_2016-12-3_20-14-7.jpeg

Battle of Vienna

Southern Austria: By far the German force that had the easiest time in the campaign was the Third Army under Field Marshall Heinz Stoffenburg. The Southern/Western front was wide open as most of the forces in the region had been depleted due to the constant battles with the Italian and Hungarian armies, in addition when the Italians left most of the countryside was in ruin and the local population in no form to resist. With this the Third Army virtually steamrolled through Southern Austria and Slovenia in little more than 5 weeks. The only engagement of notice was the Battle of Slovenia where the 30,000 strong remnants faced the might of the 1st and 2nd corps of the German Army, numbering 150,000 men in the fields of Slovenia. It was an attempt by Stoffenburg to be able to crush the remaining forces in the region and it succeeded immensely with the 17,000 casualties for Austria and the rest taken prisoner while the Germans only suffered 10,000 casualties. During this time the Third Army actually met with the Hungarian forces at the city of Trieste on the 21st. Here Stoffenburg gave Artur Gorgei a message from Kaiser Wilhelm that stated that Germany was pushing for recognition of Hungary's Independence and that they would be granted all non-German/Czech lands after the war. Recognition was achieved on March 31st as Germany became the first nation to officially recognize Hungary's independence, thereby making each other co-belligerents in their respective wars. With all of Southern Austria secure, The 3rd Army would then make their way towards Vienna to offer assistance.

upload_2016-12-3_20-13-13.jpeg

German Troops Advance

Had the First War of German Unification continued without foreign intervention, then Austria would be totally crushed and there would be no need for a second war. Unfortunately for everyone involved, that would not be the case as Tsar Nicholas I would decide to bring Russia into the fight and declared war on Germany, while also declaring war on Hungary to restore it to Austria. The overall plan which was called Spring Napoleon was implemented on May 22nd, and over 550,000 Russian troops invaded both Hungary and Germany. Soon All of East Prussia, Transylvania, and Northern Hungary would meet the might of the Bear.

Texas will definitely cause some changes to the European colonies as the United States no longer has its dominant presence on the west coast with California. Even with Oregon its going to take decades to develop that region into a status similar to British Columbia and Washington today. Everything the Untied States touched will be affected but some colonies such as Australia and Indonesia, won't really change that much until the 20th century. Update coming later today.

That may be true, but just to be clear you DO know that BC had gold rushes of it's own during the 1850s(Queen charlotte & Fraser Canyon) and 60s(Cariboo) alongside the California one, which could attract settlers from China and Russia like OTL. Although I believe that will take even longer to develop if Tippercanoe decides to annex the OTL Canadian Prairies and Great Lakes region, so that it can be opened up to colonization.

That may be true, but just to be clear you DO know that BC had gold rushes of it's own during the 1850s(Queen charlotte & Fraser Canyon) and 60s(Cariboo) alongside the California one, which could attract settlers from China and Russia like OTL. Although I believe that will take even longer to develop if Tippercanoe decides to annex the OTL Canadian Prairies and Great Lakes region, so that it can be opened up to colonization.

Intersting, I did not know about that. The United States will still take a longer time to colonize as California had a far better climate for settlement and with the Pacific Ports all you had to do was sail in a straight line west to reach Asia. With Oregon it will take longer since it is father north and will be increasingly difficult to reach before the full utulization of railroads as you have to cross hundreds of miles of Indian territory and weeks are added to the journey around South America by boat. That does not mean that America will not become a power on the Pacific, but rather it will have a different approach and will be slightly later. Whether or not this will lead to more success for the United States later on will be revealed in due time. Chapter 44 will come up later today.

Intersting, I did not know about that. The United States will still take a longer time to colonize as California had a far better climate for settlement and with the Pacific Ports all you had to do was sail in a straight line west to reach Asia. With Oregon it will take longer since it is father north and will be increasingly difficult to reach before the full utulization of railroads as you have to cross hundreds of miles of Indian territory and weeks are added to the journey around South America by boat. That does not mean that America will not become a power on the Pacific, but rather it will have a different approach and will be slightly later. Whether or not this will lead to more success for the United States later on will be revealed in due time. Chapter 44 will come up later today.

That makes sense, although this does make me wonder if this will butterfly the the Perry Expedition away or Texas will take the Credit for opening up Japan

Well the Kaiser is a bold one, I'll give him that. I doubt most people in his place would have decided to go the Greater Germany route when France, Russia and Austria are all hostile in one way or another to the limited unification that had just happened. Even with the alliance with Britain it is a bold move, but the Kaiser seems to have made his choice, which is probably why this....
Had the First War of German Unification continued without foreign intervention, then Austria would be totally crushed and there would be no need for a second war. Unfortunately for everyone involved, that would not be the case as Tsar Nicholas I would decide to bring Russia into the fight and declared war on Germany, while also declaring war on Hungary to restore it to Austria. The overall plan which was called Spring Napoleon was implemented on May 22nd, and over 550,000 Russian troops invaded both Hungary and Germany. Soon All of East Prussia, Transylvania, and Northern Hungary would meet the might of the Bear.
...has happened. This will be far from pretty, but my money is on Germany and Hungary stalling the mighty bear. All that out of the way I look forward to what we'll see in round II of the unification wars.

Resident Oregonian chiming in, and for the most part you're right, it will take somewhat longer to get this region up to par, but it may be quicker than you think. Without California in the Union there will be a push by Washington to both develop the region (international trade, secureing it, etc), and making the route to it secure. On the latter part of that the Indians are probably going to get the worst of it here as the new and better trained US army is going be unleashed on them, possibly more brutally than OTL. On the development front is that we may see an earlier transcontinetal railroad in TTL. OTL there was a debate if the railroad should follow a nothern route (possible ending in Portland Or.*), a Central route (OTL) or a soutern route (what the south wanted), in TTL there will be no debate as the nrothern route is the only one opened to the US. So at a guess I'd say the first train reaches Oregon between 1863 and 1867. Not much earlier than the first transcontinental railroad, but it'll be a boon for the development of the state which in OTL wasn't connected to the rest of the Union by rail until 1887 (Could be as early as 1883, I forget if the Northern Pacific connected to Portland before it finsihed it's transcontinetal line).

Also, our climate (in western Oregon) isn't as warm as California, but we aren't all to bad either. Sure it rains a lot (it is right now) but you get used to that. Anywho good update.

*Fun fact (for those who don't know) the name of Portland was decided by a coin flip. The other option was Boston.

On the development front is that we may see an earlier transcontinetal railroad in TTL. OTL there was a debate if the railroad should follow a nothern route (possible ending in Portland Or.*), a Central route (OTL) or a soutern route (what the south wanted), in TTL there will be no debate as the nrothern route is the only one opened to the US. So at a guess I'd say the first train reaches Oregon between 1863 and 1867.

I believe that TTL Northern PAcific Railway will look different since the OTL developers now have the option of using the routes used in the creation of the Canadian Pacific Railway of OTL, which could be preferred since there are easier to build through the Canadian Rockies. If completed two decades earlier would mean an earlier and heavily settled Canadian Prairies.

Chapter 44 Hungary's Stand
Chapter 44 Hungary's Stand

"Why the hell are the damn Russians invading our country? What did we ever do to them?"- Lajos Kossuth 1847
"I watched as my nation was torn apart by those Russian dogs. Our people oppressed, unable to practice our religion or even speak our own language. I will not let the same thing happen to my new nation."- Henryk Dembinsky 1847
"Many of the nobles misunderstand why I feel it necessary to help Austria keep Hungary. You see, if Hungary gains independence then it will encourage other peoples to get independent. They'll spread silly ideas bout democracy and liberty, about the false notion that all men are created equal. If Austria loses Hungary then we lose our Western Empire, and Russia is once again reduced to the backwards land of our ancestors."- Tsar Nicholas I 1847

Until the Russian intervention in May of 1847, the Hungarian Revolution while not a complete victory, was undergoing much success and was on its path to total independence within a few years. Already the Croatia was under near Hungarian control and the fronts began to stabilize along the Austrian border and occupied Hungary. When Germany invaded Austria it was the greatest chance for Hungary as it was now able to pull troops away from the border and focus on reclaiming Transylvania and Slovakia.Already by the end of March, Hungary had been able to reclaim all of the German lands within Hungary and it had begun a new campaign that was focused on the complete conquest of Transylvania. With Austria now focusing all its attention towards Germany, the region was completely cut off from outside support and was being driven in further and further by advancing Hungarian troops. By the beginning of May only 1/4 of Transylvania remained in the hands of Romanian Loyalists. After Transylvania would fall the general plan would be to move on Slovakia in order to have Austria diverge resources from Bohemia and Vienna and let the Germans have a greater chance of success in order to fulfill the unofficial alliance between the two nations. Afterwords plans would dictate a possible expedition into Galicia to possibly incorporate it as a Hungarian province. While the first opening moves were being made on Slovakia though, Russia would intervene on May 22nd by officially crossing troops over the border into Austrian Galicia to keep Poland under Austrian control. 200,000 Russian troops were marching towards Budapest and they would be further augmented by 100,000-150,000 Ukrainian/Polish troops. With the war with Austria coming to a close, a new one with Russia was just about to begin.

Transylvania: Though many within Hungary expected for Russia to try and push towards Transylvania with the Romanian majority there and strong areas of Pan-Slavinism, the large attack that everyone was expecting never came in full force. For Russia to full invade and attack Transylvania they would've needed to go through Wallachia and Moldavia which would've initiated a largescale confrontation with the Ottoman Empire which the Russians were not prepared for at the time. Additionally most troops were sent father up North to provide a possible backup force for the Russian Army in Prussia should its assault fail. With this reprive the Hungarian Army quickly advanced a majority of its Transylvanian troops to the border with Galicia while the region was reinforced from the now stable theaters of Croatia and the Austrian border. 50,000 men were sent to the region and over the next three months quickly tried to storm the area in order to deal with the problem swiftly and reinforce the men up North. Due to a desperation of time various lethal tactics were used such as burning of suspected traitor villages and sometimes orders sent to extract no prisoners, though this was not a universal policy and the degree of brutality ranged with every Hungarian captain. On July 14th, the region of Transylvania was declared to be in firm Hungarian control and the men marched up North to defend against the coming Russian menace. During this time however a Russian force of 40,000 men had advanced into the region and begun to treck into the Carpathian Mountains. Unfortunately for them the Hungarians had spent the last six months fortifying the mountainside and were well familiar with the terrain. The Battle of Carpathia lasted during most of June as the Russians tried to cross in vain against hte 30,000 strong defenders of the mountains but were met with increasingly difficulty due to well place Hungarian artillery, traps and ambushes, and the inability to properly set up a supply line. The Russians retreated on June 24th with 5,000 casualties while Hungary suffered 3,000. Hungarian General Jozef Bem was then sent to the mountainside and took command to prepare for a second attack, one that would never come. Strategically the Russian feints into Transylvania did have one large advantage though as it forced Hungarian troops to be more spread out and prevented any concentration.

upload_2016-12-4_20-18-38.jpeg

Battle of the Carpathian Mountains

Slovakia: With the ongoing Siege of Vienna most of the Slovak troops had to be deployed west in order to restore the lands of Austria proper and hopefully relieve the siege. With this massive transfer of troops it left Hungary to at least take decisive action and secure as much territory as possible before the Russians arrived near Budapest. When word of the Siege reached Budapest in May, Kossuth gave orders for the Hungarian army to take over Western Slovakia and hopefully cut off reinforcements to Vienna. On May 6th a Hungarian force of 55,000 men once again came into Bretislava but were able to easily take over the city this time due to most of its defenders being stripped for Vienna. After that the Hungarian army then proceded to move eastward and were slowly able to recapture Slovakia as the revolutionaries now marched into a region with most of its crops taken to the army and the men sent west to deal with the German threat. The next serious battle came on June 9th when the Hungarians then tried to take the city of Koslice and met an opposing force of 40,000 Polish troops along with 10,000 Russian soldiers that were acting as a Vanguard. The battle took around a week to settle but it eventually resulted in a Hungarian victory due to the Polish troops being mostly made up of new recruits and being demoralized of the prospect of working with the oppressors of their Eastern brethren. It did take its toll though as the Hungarians lost over 7,000 casualties in the conflict battle while the Polish/Russians lost 10,000. After that the Hungarian Army needed rest and the Russians had finally arrived in force so there was no more room for extra advancement. In mid-June to August the forces of the region fought in a back and forth matter as armies both retreated and advanced in order to determine the front lines and try to gain local support, each side calling each other barbaric invaders. Eventually the lines settled to Northeast of the Vah river while the Russian Army struck in full force around Eastern Hungary.

upload_2016-12-4_20-19-17.jpeg

Hungarian cavalry sweeps through Slovakia

Galicia: Since the Revolution's outbreak the battle lines had been relatively stable at Galicia. The region was of little importance compared to Austria or Bohemia and the Hungarians did not place too much focus on it compared to other theaters. So while there was conflict it mostly consisted of skirmishes along the border line. That all changed in June when the Russian Army came in full force and decided to hit Hungary at its weakest in full force. While 75,000 were sent to Slovakia and 40,000 were sent to Transylvania, 85,000 came along this lightly defended region and crushed most Hungarian resistance that stood in their path. It took weeks for the Hungarian Army to organize as they had to send its main army in Budapest along with further reinforcements with segments of Transylvania and Slovakia to meet the Russian force, along with the increase in volunteers it resulted in a 80,000 strong army. The first major battle took place in Debrecen where an advanced corps of Russia of 40,000 met around 35,000 Hungarian troops. The battle ended in a Russian victory with them taking the city and the Hungarians falling back, but not without Russia receiving 15,000 casualties compared to Hungary's 8,0000. During July as Hungary finally arrived fully in the region, multiple small battles occurred all along the path of the Russian Army as the Hungarian Army working alongside with guerillas commenced hit an run tactics to bite away at the manpower and supply lines that were becoming longer. The penultimate battle of the campaign took place at the banks of the Tisza River as the Hungarians of 45,000 under Lajos Kossuth met the opposing 45,000 Russian forces of Ivan Paskevich on July 29th. Both sides were equal on paper but the Hungarians had a slight advantage as Russia had been advancing nonstop and took little time to organize their supplies, leaving them slightly low on rations and ammunition. For two days the battle went on and while neither side ever falted, Russia had to retreat due to the dangers of running out of ammunition and Ivan feared that if the battle went on then Hungary would start to notice and then proceed to completely route the Russian Army. Overall the casualties were light compared to other engagements as the Hungarians only suffered 2,756 KIA, 1,931 WIA, and 1,606 POW. Russia suffered around 3,410 KIA, 2,183 WIA, and 1,855 POW. As Russia tried to establish its supply lines the Hungarians proceeded to fortify uncaptured territory and moved in on weak points in Russia's flanks. Come fall the Battle lines were drawn East of the Tisza while Russia had managed to capture certain Romanian parts of Transylvania. Both sides would remain stationary until Germany began its counterattack against Russia before the coming of Winter.

images
upload_2016-12-4_20-21-23.jpeg

Reenactment of the Battle of Tisza (Left) Ivan Paskevich, head of the Russian forces in Hungary (Right)

A/N: Next Chapter is the end of the Oregon War.

Last edited: