Let's develop a language

There should be two dialects.

One pronounces 'ḩ' like loch. The other pronounces 'ḩ' like a silent glottal stop, or whatever it's called.

I think we should develop the culture of the Xişaŕo people, regions in which they lived and such. That could help boost this again.

Yeah, that really is something that would give this thread a boost. For some reason, I would imagine the Xişaŕo people as living in a shrub-steppe region, living in buildings reminiscant of the Apache. Y'know, Native Americans from Central America.

And here is some vocabulary:

steppe: Xespeþláv (Grassland, yeah)
lesson: Náştivy
crater: Paxácavry (Quencha! Idea sponsored by Evolution)
landmark: BwpáÞecy
court: Tárrypìsucwr (Again, Quencha-influence)

Yeah, that really is something that would give this thread a boost. For some reason, I would imagine the Xişaŕo people as living in a shrub-steppe region, living in buildings reminiscant of the Apache. Y'know, Native Americans from Central America.

They're a modern society. Possibly even futuristic.

I see them more as a Balkan-based peoples, what with the language being descended from nations surrounding them (not including a few of the more tangent languages, but I'm sure we could develop something like Xişaŕo colonizing the areas where they pick up those bits).

I see them more as a Balkan-based peoples, what with the language being descended from nations surrounding them (not including a few of the more tangent languages, but I'm sure we could develop something like Xişaŕo colonizing the areas where they pick up those bits).

Same here.

Xişaŕo, a language spoken in the Balkans by the Xişaŕo peoples. The Xişaŕo people have a long and distinguished history, but have only recently established their own nation-state.

The Xişaŕo were first recorded by the Catholic missionary Julius Ricci, who accompanied the Bishop of Passau to the Hungarians. They apparently came from a region nearby the Hungarians original homeland, somewhere near Khazaria. Though few in number, they proved themselves capable in battle, and were granted a small grant of land by the Hungarians just to their south. Over the next few decades, the Xişaŕo peoples were forced out of their homeland near Khazaria into this new homeland, and joined the Hungarians in their conversion over to Catholicism.

Over the centuries, they were occupied by the Hungarians, Serbs, Ottomans, and several other minor groups, though only the Hungarians and Ottomans held them for any reasonable amount of time. Their lands however were kept fairly Xişaŕo dominated until around 1500's when a sizable population of Poles, Germans and Russians moved in or near the Xişaŕo homeland. However, with them came new ideas and customs, which have since been adopted by the Xişaŕo.

It was not until around the time of the Hungarian Revolution that the Xişaŕo were given more than local (that is, township) rule. The Austrian Empire divided the Kingdom of Hungary into 4 portions, Hungary Proper, Transylvania (dominated by the Hungarians and German minority), Croatia and Xişaŕo (minor state within Hungary).

With the fall of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Xişaŕo, or rather the Úpdr Xişaŕo, were able to gain independence for a few years until the rise of one party rule or fascism overtook the neighboring states. Just before WWII, the Xişaŕo nation was quickly divided while the world focused more on Germany and Italy and the gains those states were making. After WWII, there was a minor movement to create another independent Xişaŕo state, but these fell under as the communist regimes in Yugoslavia, Romania and Hungary were propped up, and the Xişaŕo culture and language was repressed.

After the fall of communism, and the subsequent chaos in the transitional phases that followed, the Xişaŕo people were able to make a cry to the nations of the west, and with the subsequent racial discrimination, violence and bloodshed, the Úpdr Xişaŕo and Tydr Xişaŕo speaking regions were guaranteed independence, much to the chagrin of the Hungarian and Romanian minority within. However, the Doḩdr Xişaŕo, which are found in what is now Serbia, were not admitted in, though they came close during the Kosovo War.

The Republic of Xişaŕo (or Chisharia as some more conservative English speakers tend to refer to it as) is a small nation bordering Romania, Hungary and Serbia. It has made a relatively easy transition from controlled to capitalist economy, though some assets are still under state control. The current head of state is Ályksándr Várraz of the United Center Coalition, a coalition of several center and center-right parties.

There needs to be something to explain the Spanish and Englsih influence in Xişaŕo.
Trade and marriages (Spanish Hapsburgs) would be a plus for Spanish, English is a bit more tricky. Perhaps they develop a relationship with Britain like the Czechs did in OTL during the middle ages, with Xişaŕo nobles going to Britain to study and/or develop more trade (dominated by Hungary's Croatian coastline). After the Napoleonic and Crimean Wars, their is further flowering relationships between the two, and Xişaŕo literature becomes popular from time to time in Britain, leading to British citizens going there for holidays, forcing Xişaŕo people to pick up the language as a second (or third, or fourth) language, which leads us to the current structuring.

As for Nahuatl, well... I dunno, maybe the Spanish Hapsburgs take a fair number back home to Spain, a number of them move to Austria and settle in quiet, peaceful Xişaŕo districts. A few words seep in, mostly in the Tydr Xişaŕo dialect.

More like Southern Crişana and Western Dobrogea in Romania, a sliver of Csongrád County in Hungary and a sliver of Vojvodina Serbia from OTL.

Possibly. Either way, this fills out our needs for a location for the Xişaŕo nation that shows why it's language developed the way it did, and establishes an actual Xişaŕo state as well. Now to make it just a tad more believable we add some Romanian and Serbian loanwords to fill out some of the more tangent words in the language.

Possibly. Either way, this fills out our needs for a location for the Xişaŕo nation that shows why it's language developed the way it did, and establishes an actual Xişaŕo state as well. Now to make it just a tad more believable we add some Romanian and Serbian loanwords to fill out some of the more tangent words in the language.
Well, you have got some Hungarian words from my end already.

I will add the words for places to the wiki. Guys, when you post new words on here, put them on the wiki too, on the appropriate section.

How does this look for location?

Xisaro.png

Very nice, but remember, that is their homeland, not the nation-state since the Vojvodina portion never joined (came close during the Kosovo war, but that's it).
Why would there even be a Kosovo war with such a far back POD?

Actually, there might as well still be Yugoslavia too.

Why would there even be a Kosovo war with such a far back POD?

Actually, there might as well still be Yugoslavia too.
Yes, the POD is far back, but I tried to make it to where there was as little actual change to the world as possible. The reason for the southern (Vojvodina) portion to come close to joining the rest during the Kosovo War is because after Yugoslavia breaks up, Serbia cracks down in dissidents which causes the Kosovars to do their thing and the Serbs theirs like in OTL, only the Xişaŕo portion of Serbia is even less populous than in OTL, so the Serbs were able to hold on to it, unlike Kosovo. Therefore, only the Romanian and Hungarian portions should be there.

Like this, and also divided into the three dialects (North or Úpdr Xişaŕo, and Central or Tydr Xişaŕo making up Xişaŕo proper in dark green, and the Doḩdr Xişaŕo minority in Serbia being represented by the lighter green)

Xişaŕo.png