Keynes' Cruisers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking Wake now is going to be a very messy , very bloody business
Almost certainly, IF indeed Japan can succeed.

There are going to be a lot of obstacles that will delay the Japanese timetable for conquering the Southern Resource Area. Which could well derail it.

Malaya and Singapore look more secure than OTL, with better land and air forces. I still worry for Force Z, unless Hermes is accompanying it. Still, worst case is severe losses in Force Z but the advance of Japanese land forces stalls well short of Singapore. Which could keep Sumatra safe and make any Japanese occupation of Borneo and the rest of the DEI precarious.

Story 0848
December 3, 1941 1200 Singapore

“No, we can not be the aggressors”

“Then we’re just going to let the Japs get the first move on us? Ridiculous, get your nose out of your own arse Percy.”

“As soon as we have confirmation that Thailand is either being invaded or hostile to us, I authorize you to invade Thailand with every division that you have and the Boys Naval Band as well Bernard, pass the salt.” Lt. General Arthur Percival waited a moment as he had to allow his ground force commander to locate the salt cellar. The weekly lunches were needed, productive and often unpleasant. The newly arrived ground forces commander had assumed that the Wehrmacht was ready to come over the border or land on the coast at any time. Every day, at least one land owner came to the Colonial administrative headquarters complaining about the troops marching through a plantation, or engineers preparing demolitions or low flying aircraft disturbing their animals.

At the same time, Montgomery had improved the quality of forces. Most of the green troops were partnered with experienced formations that had fought and won in Africa. The fitness level of everyone had increased markedly in only the past two months.

“Now can you tell me how the glamour boys will support the army?”

He paused. Air Vice Marshal Pulford began to answer.

“Our first priority is to maintain air superiority. Hurricanes and Mustangs will be available to defend the naval base and naval forces operating near the coast. Blenheims and Hudsons are available for patrol and strikes against enemy airfields. Five squadrons of Buffaloes are deployed at coastal airfields to provide immediate protection for ground forces. Marylands and Battles are available for Army Cooperation duties. Recent training has increased the effiicency of Army Cooperation forces but this is our lowest priority as effective strike and anti-shipping operations will allow the army to be superfluous from any invasion attempted.”

“How will the fleet be covered?” Admiral Phillips asked. His Force Z was a powerful force but it would be outnumbered if the Japanese came south with their entire fleet. The Royal Navy was willing to risk ships to achieve missions but they would prefer not to dumbly lose ships.

“When the fleet is at sea, 3 Squadron RAAF will be devoted to covering Force Z. You have already met with the squadron commander and there is training arranged for tomorrow already. If the fleet is operating near the coast, Aussie and Kiwi Buffalo squadrons are also available for local cover but they are limited to flying within radio distance of land. Catalina and Dutch Dornier squadrons will scout for you.”

“So what happens if the Japanese are raiding Singapore and the fleet is at sea...3 Squadron can’t be in two places at once….”

The battle had started and there would be numerous casualties until the final charge during dessert.

Last edited:
Even if it sails, there are a number of butterflies that could flap over Force Z.

Phillips knows a carrier was supposed to be with him, and that Ark is expected in a week. This implies a need for air cover, which with better organisation is quite possible (it would limit his action until Ark arrives, but...)
Phillips doesn't decide to go out looking for trouble with no carrier attached.
Even if he does, a call is made early for air cover.

Or the Japanese don't get the two golden BB hits on PoW - it was also stated she was better worked up, so this time maybe most of her AA will work. She had a lot of AA.

So its by no means certain that OTL will repeat itself here.

“No, we can not be the aggressors”

“Then we’re just going to let the goddamn Japs get the first move on us? Ridiculous, get your nose out of your own ass Percy.”

“As soon as we have confirmation that Thailand is either being invaded or hostile to us, I authorize you to invade Thailand with every division that you have and the Boys Naval Band as well Bernard, pass the salt.” Lt. General Arthur Percival waited a moment as he had to allow his ground force commander to locate the salt cellar. The weekly lunches were needed, productive and often unpleasant. The newly arrived ground forces commander had assumed that the Wehrmacht was ready to come over the border or land on the coast at any time. Every day, at least one land owner came to the Colonial administrative headquarters complaining about the troops marching through a plantation, or engineers preparing demolitions or low flying aircraft disturbing their animals.
It seems that Monty is not taking any of the excuses Percival is giving as to why his defences are bad.

When is Monty going to start digging up the golf courses (probably 'forgetting' to copy the order to Percival...:)

Get behind me Satan --- the 17th hole is already well fortified with concrete reinforced bunkers covering the sand traps. Engineers had prepped that position on Monday and why would the commander of the colony need to know the goings on of an engineering company.

Get behind me Satan --- the 17th hole is already well fortified with concrete reinforced bunkers covering the sand traps. Engineers had prepped that position on Monday and why would the commander of the colony need to know the goings on of an engineering company.
Yeah... it seems that Monty is overriding the local's concerns. A bit of losing of hearts and minds, but better for defence.

Also, what does the modified Mogami one-off Asama have as stats?

Driftless

Donor
Percival & Monty play their own 1941 version of "Good cop, bad cop"? Percival did the Malaya/Singapore defense work up a few years earlier, so he was well aware of the deficiencies of OTL infrastructure and force.

Driftless

Donor
December 3, 1941 0000 EST

The United States declared that the US Navy as well as Filipino units operating in conjunction with the US Navy would begin to mine US and Philippine territorial waters effective immediately.

Lingayen Gulf, parts of Subic and Manila Bay's? Maybe even parts of Davao Gulf?

Thus laying claim to said waters.
Mine, mine, mine, all mine. :)
LaER64

Mine.gif

Last edited:
Warning
Yep plus plans to mine Surigao Strait, San Bernidino Strait, and Lamon Bay

Can you Butterfly in an Abdiel, racing out to Singers. A fast transport with a fairly good AA fit, as well as being able to leave 150+ sea mines in somebody's path could make things bloody for the Nips. Of course the martial spirit of the Bushido of Rengō Kantai plus invisible submarine space laser battleships may still overwhelm the reality of the situation.

Can you Butterfly in an Abdiel, racing out to Singers. A fast transport with a fairly good AA fit, as well as being able to leave 150+ sea mines in somebody's path could make things bloody for the Nips. Of course the martial spirit of the Bushido of Rengō Kantai plus invisible submarine space laser battleships may still overwhelm the reality of the situation.
Nope, the minelayers are still tied up in the Med.

Status
Not open for further replies.