Geronimo : What if Osama Bin Laden was killed prior to 9/11?

I’m happy you didn’t decide to make the operation a complete disaster. I get this feeling sometimes that people forget that the American military can actually be competent and succeed, as long as the politicians and the pentagon don’t get their heads so far up their asses they decide to say, invade Iraq and then disband Iraq’s entire army

This is a tour de force of writing. Great work capturing the late imperial overstretch of the United States - but with the distinct character of centre-left internationalism rather than the War on Terror and neoconservativism.

Instead of providing a note-for-note copy of the War in Iraq or Afghanistan, you’ve created something that looks somewhere between that, the NATO intervention in the former Yugoslavia, and the Australian intervention in East Timor.

Last edited:
glad to see Sudan didn’t turn into a quagmire like Iraq — speaking of Iraq, we haven’t heard much about it since it broke out into civil war — what’s the deal there?

Amazing update! Darfur and Sudan as a whole face a very uncertain future, everything is riding on the success of the peace accord. IMO the ideal outcome would probably be South Sudan becoming independent and some sort of autonomous government and defense force for Darfur. On the other hand, Turabi's regime seems to be on shaky ground and if peace talks fall through Sudan could very well be on the path to becoming a failed state

This was a heavy reading (in a good way, like those heavy dishes that your grandmother makes, though with more tragedy due to the topic of this update), and I can say that my guess seems not that true, for now.
It seems that it has the potential for becoming a quagmire, with Allied forces downing each other's planes, an increasingly apathetic population with, in my opinion, the potential of going "Kill everyone who is not a Darfuri!" (Including both the coalition and the Sudanese), and a slowly growing guerilla movement.
Though Saddam Hussein was a terrible leader, he did not go the route of killing everyone in lands that the Coalition could capture like Turabi is doing in this timeline, so the Coalition pretty much has much more support universally, compared to the Iraq War, which was seen as USA invading to get more oil, by pretty much anyone who was not an American.
This war has a lot more 'legitimacy' than the Iraq war, especially since it has been supported by the UN.
However, I will note that this update was written by entirely sympathetic news sources in wartime, so not everything will be accurate.

I’m happy you didn’t decide to make the operation a complete disaster. I get this feeling sometimes that people forget that the American military can actually be competent and succeed, as long as the politicians and the pentagon don’t get their heads so far up their asses they decide to say, invade Iraq and then disband Iraq’s entire army
If you are the world's only superpower, winning wars is easy. Winning the peace is the hard part

This is a tour de force of writing. Great work capturing the late imperial overstretch of the United States - but with the distinct character of centre-left internationalism rather than the War on Terror and neoconservativism.

Instead of providing a note-for-note copy of the War in Iraq or Afghanistan, you’ve created something that looks somewhere between that, the NATO intervention in the former Yugoslavia, and the Australian intervention in East Timor.
I think is fair that this is truly Pax Americana if Darfur goes well then the U.S. may be happy to become the world policeman

glad to see Sudan didn’t turn into a quagmire like Iraq — speaking of Iraq, we haven’t heard much about it since it broke out into civil war — what’s the deal there?
I'll write an update on it after Culture 2006, but for now, it's a stalemate after Shia insurgents captured the holy city of Najaf, Saddam is reluctant to attack for fear of inviting outside intervention, however, his subordinates have other ideas.

Generation Kill, such a good show. Nice reference
It is hands down the best piece of media about the Iraq war

Well that went better than Iraq, at least.
It's important to keep in mind though, that in May 2003 everyone thought the Iraq war was going well

Thank you, everyone, for the compliments, this was a big update that was tricky to write.
The next update will be Culture 2006 so if you have any thoughts about what I ought to include, make sure to give it a mention so I don't miss it.

This war has a lot more 'legitimacy' than the Iraq war, especially since it has been supported by the UN.
However, I will note that this update was written by entirely sympathetic news sources in wartime, so not everything will be accurate.
As someone who hate Omar Al-Bashir (my father hates him even more than me, I remember that ( I was nine (I guess?) years old at that time), whenever Omar Al-Bashir was mentioned my father tended to get angry. I even remember that he called him a terrible man who killed his own people, I am happy that him, or rather his even worse accomplice is gone.
Thank you, everyone, for the compliments, this was a big update that was tricky to write.
The next update will be Culture 2006 so if you have any thoughts about what I ought to include, make sure to give it a mention so I don't miss it.
Perhaps, you can remake this movie into a Sudan War one?
I am not sure whether it will be done, though, because the movie was particularly successful as it was released after the Hood Event I mentioned, though it (or rather tv series that were released before the movie) still has massive fans (though it has the “Until a certain episode it was good” aspect as well, with the fans seeming to agree on forgetting the ones that came after 98th (I guess?) episode).
(Tv series, which centres around mysterious cabals fighting against good guys also certainly benefited from the 90s being so mysterious and filled with conspiracy as well, with nearly all assassinations in that period being unsolved with the usual suspects people say regarding them always being PKK, some leftist terrorist organisation, some Islamist one, mafia, Deep State (Contragurrilla and Gladio is used too) and, in some cases, foreign intelligence agencies, mostly MOSSAD)

Anyways, sorry for my long message, I really loved the update!

The next update will be Culture 2006 so if you have any thoughts about what I ought to include, make sure to give it a mention so I don't miss it
Hurray ! I know it !
Some of my ideas:

1. Steve Irwin lived, the documentary he filming while he was killed , aired on the TV in late 2006 (OTL he died in September, documentary aired on 2007)

2. Oliver Stone (OTL World Trade Center director) makes a film about 1995 Oklahoma city bombing, as a replacement of WTC
Edit: I think a film about Reagan would be better, I saw @TheKennedyMachine. comment

3. REAL Independent Day II instead of OTL 2016 garbage version

4. Would TTL Google bought WebTube ?

5. The fate of Twitter

6. OTL, emo was exploded in 2006-2009, I want see more about Nurave music, and I think it would faced the backlash as OTL emo

From Wikipedia "New rave" "Criticism"
The sound of the original rave style is barely (if at all) discernible (save some typical analog synth lines) in the majority of bands referred to as new rave. Bands such as The Sunshine Underground,[21] CSS (Cansei de Ser Sexy)[22][23][24][25] and Hot Chip[26] are often labeled as new rave due to their large following by fans of the genre. M.I.A. has been described as "a new raver before it was old."[27] Several have publicly declared they had nothing to do with the genre. Stylist Carri Mundane described it as funny, saying New Rave was "Vacant in retro. It’s just a marketing machine.... I guess it was a fun time but I’m more excited about what happens now. The next level - the next generation. There’s a mood of neo-spiritualism and futurism that excites me."[28]

The new rave scene can be viewed as a media construct, largely propounded by the NME and TRAX [fr], with other publications treating the subject as a joke.[13] The belief that many of the bands associated with new rave can more appropriately be associated with the genre of dance-punk has given credence to such suggestions, although differences between both genres are said to be minor and more down to aesthetics. Critic John Harris has stated in The Guardian newspaper that the genre is nothing more than a "piss-poor supposed 'youthquake'" that will soon go out of fashion in the same way as rave.[13]

7. Some TTL internet trends
OTL internet meme was starting developing around that year

8. Show us more magazines cover (Whatever that is from OTL or made by you)

9. The fate of High school musical

Thank you for your hard work!

Last edited:
With Indonesian aid personnel kidnapped, they can pretty much forget about major support from there. Which might mean that islamist parties won't be as prominent as OTL...though I doubt that'll change much things domestically, except less anti-west (and by extension, anti-US) sentiment is prominent.

Part LXVIII

Vigilant Charge

\​
A powerful and realistic depiction of an international intervention in Darfur. Although all foreign interventions are ultimately risky and morally problematic- with the real possibility of spiraling into a quagmire, I think it bodes well that the majority of the International Community supported such action and it was done for the best of reasons- to stop a human tragedy from claiming any more lives. Reading this, I can't help but think with the outbreak of genocidal violence in Darfur once again in OTL and knowing how we let the genocide play out in OTL with little more then a strongly worded letter, that this was what we should've done in OTL. I know it was politically impossible with the Iraq war catastrophe, but to know that the international community just *let* a genocide happen is heartbreaking.

Hurray ! I know it !
Some of my ideas:

1. Steve Irwin lived, the documentary he filming while he was killed , aired on the TV in late 2006 (OTL he died in September, documentary aired on 2007)

2. Oliver Stone (OTL World Trade Center director) makes a film about 1995 Oklahoma city bombing, as a replacement of WTC

3. REAL Independent Day II instead of OTL 2016 garbage one

4. Would TTL Google bought WebTube ?

5. The fate of Twitter

6. OTL, emo was exploded in 2006-2009, I want see more about Nurave music, and I think it would faced the backlash as OTL emo

From Wikipedia "New rave" "Criticism"
The sound of the original rave style is barely (if at all) discernible (save some typical analog synth lines) in the majority of bands referred to as new rave. Bands such as The Sunshine Underground,[21] CSS (Cansei de Ser Sexy)[22][23][24][25] and Hot Chip[26] are often labeled as new rave due to their large following by fans of the genre. M.I.A. has been described as "a new raver before it was old."[27] Several have publicly declared they had nothing to do with the genre. Stylist Carri Mundane described it as funny, saying New Rave was "Vacant in retro. It’s just a marketing machine.... I guess it was a fun time but I’m more excited about what happens now. The next level - the next generation. There’s a mood of neo-spiritualism and futurism that excites me."[28]

The new rave scene can be viewed as a media construct, largely propounded by the NME and TRAX [fr], with other publications treating the subject as a joke.[13] The belief that many of the bands associated with new rave can more appropriately be associated with the genre of dance-punk has given credence to such suggestions, although differences between both genres are said to be minor and more down to aesthetics. Critic John Harris has stated in The Guardian newspaper that the genre is nothing more than a "piss-poor supposed 'youthquake'" that will soon go out of fashion in the same way as rave.[13]

7. Some TTL internet trends
OTL internet meme was starting developing around that year

8. Show us more magazines cover (Whatever that is from OTL or made by you)

9. The fate of High school musical

Thank you for your hard work!
IIRC Google never bought WebTube TTL.

Seeing how 9/11 doesn't happen ITTL, perhaps Oliver Stone makes a film centered on Ronald Reagan in 2006, completing his presidential trilogy of JFK, and Nixon. W. is most likely butterflied since Dubya's presidency was, as the kids today say, mid.

Twitter was created this year, perhaps due to butterflies galore, it has it's original planned name -- Status.

hopefully in pop culture 2006 the WB and UPN survive as planned

also considering that this was when the gritty war shooter came to be in OTL with games like americas army, target terror and the horror that was the original konami version of six days in fallujah
i wonder if we will see a boomer shooter (doom clone) revival much earlier ITTL instead of the rise war shooters IOTL

will the annual shooter release go to quake instead of COD
unreal tournament instead of battlefield
jedi knight instead of battlefront,
and system shock 3 and 4 instead of bioshock
(maybe borderlands gets replaced with a shogo mobile armor division 2 and 3 IDK)

also without raw thrills
will midway games survive and replace raw thrills ITTL (hopefully)

regarding WebTube
what will happen to memes like leave britney alone and dont taze me (i guess those get butterflied away as the fear surrounding terrorism and the militarized security in colleges doesn't exist ITTL (possibly) and britney spears's meltdowns/quarter life crisis probally never happens ITTL)

cant wait

Last edited:
A DRIVE THROUGH HELL (2013): SEASON 1, EPISODE 4 – FUBAR

The caption reads "Invasion Day + 14"
A convoy of Humvees moves through the desert while Corporal Anders manning the machine gun sings loudly.
Anders: “♪They see me rollin' They hatin' Patrollin' and tryna catch me ridin' dirty Tryna catch me ridin' dirty♪,
He stops being distracted by passing Sudanese civilians wearing little.
Anders: “Hey, has anyone wondered where are all the Arabs?”
A dialogue begins with Perez who is sitting shotgun, while the others agitated and sleep deprived try to ignore them.
Perez: “What? There aren’t any Arabs”
Anders: “Yes there are, we’re on the side of the Africans and we’re fighting the Arabs that want to enslave them”
Perez: “You’re so fucking stupid Anders. They’re all African, look around you man this is Africa, Jesus don’t you watch the news”.
Anders: “Why would I want that man, So I can read what our gay ass President wants, hey reporter knows he’s a homo right?”
Embedded reporter Scott his notebook now unopen tries to entertain the conversation.
Scott: “Really? I didn’t know that”
Anders: “Why else do you think we’re here when we should be fighting a real war, we should be kicking Saddam’s or Iran's or Ghaddafi’s Arab asses”
Perez: “Ghaddafi is also African, you dumb fuck … Where are we going, Captain”
Comfrey: “There’s another village that command wants us to check out”
Anders: “Great, more hearts and minds bullshit, while the army gets the real action”.
As the convoy moves on through the outback through his binoculars Perez spots small plumes of smoke in the distance
Perez: “We got smoke, someone burning something over there”
Anders swivels on the roof toward the same direction Perez is looking, while Scott similarly squints his eyes.
Comfrey: “Maybe it was us … any movement”
Perez: “Nothing moving”
Comfrey: “We can afford to get a little closer”
Perez: “Jesus”
The Humvee moves slowly eventually emerging through a clearing, followed by others. Guns at the ready, the men are tense expecting a possible ambush. Before they see –
The ruin of an abandoned refugee camp, dotted with smoldering huts and at its center a large pile of corpses. There are no living people.
Everyone’s faces are grim, as the sight and now the stench fully impacts them.
The men get out, without saying a word, keeping distance between themselves and the corpses but forming a perimeter.
No one speaks but each investigates a part of the site. Anders steps on bullet casings. Hardy sees a flock of vultures and Perez looks at a dead body's arm, it belongs to a very young child.

1701779445545.png

(left to right) Darfuri rebel leader Minnawi, Promo art for HOB's 'A Drive Through Hell an adaption of Raymond Perez A Walk Through Hell', South Sudan rebel leader Garang
This was a pretty good update Iwanh. I really felt like I was actually watching A Drive Through Hell. It sounds like a show I would have watched with my grandfather back in 2013, assuming we still had HBO.

It's important to keep in mind though, that in May 2003 everyone thought the Iraq war was going well

Are you implying that the conflict in Darfur could get worse like the OTL Iraq War? Either way, I wonder how it will end for Sudan.

As for pop culture stuff for 2006, I have a few ideas if that's alright.

• As @MLK JFK LBJ Beatles 's said, have Steve Irwin survive his encounter with that stingray. It's sad that we lost him in OTL.
  • Still have Disney (even under Comcast's ownership) buyout Pixar like they did in OTL. It would just be weird and cursed seeing Pixar making movies for another company.
  • If it's even possible, prevent The WB and UPN from merging together and forming The CW.
  • Since the World Trade Center film would get butterflied away for obviously reasons, maybe Oliver Stone could make a movie about either the Oklahoma City Bombing (since it also focuses on an act of terrorism) or as @TheKennedyMachine. suggested, a film about President Ronald Reagan (since the film W. about George W. Bush would probably get butterflied away due to Bush only being a one-term president).
  • I can't really think of anything else, so I wish good luck to you Iwanh.

Seeing how 9/11 doesn't happen ITTL, perhaps Oliver Stone makes a film centered on Ronald Reagan in 2006, completing his presidential trilogy of JFK, and Nixon. W. is most likely butterflied since Dubya's presidency was, as the kids today say, mid.

Twitter was created this year, perhaps due to butterflies galore, it has it's original planned name -- Status.
So Twitter was originally going to be called Status? Huh! You lean something new everyday I guess.

Do you think that tweets would be called stats of statuses or something?