I'm working on a project titled "Emperor William: Conqueror of Britannia." It's an alternate history where William the Conqueror successfully expands his rule to Britannia. I'm really eager to hear everyone's input and feedback on this concept! What are your thoughts? I would also like to add I plan on this being a community project. I feel everyone can contribute.

Last edited:
Prologue: The Unfolding Storm

The news hit like a thunderbolt, shaking the very foundation of my being. Edward the Confessor, the pious and frail monarch who had reigned over the land of England, had breathed his last. His passing was not unexpected, for age and infirmity had long shadowed his steps. Yet, the weight of his absence cast a pall of uncertainty over the realm.

I stood within the hallowed halls of my ancestral home in Normandy, surrounded by advisors and courtiers, their faces etched with concern and urgency. Word had reached us swiftly, borne on the wings of swift messengers who traversed land and sea to deliver their grave tidings.

"Edward is dead," the herald had proclaimed, his voice heavy with the weight of history. "And in his stead, Harold Godwinson has crowned himself king."

The revelation sent shockwaves through the assembled gathering. Harold Godwinson, the ambitious Earl of Wessex, had long harbored designs for the English throne. His claim, though tenuous, rested on the fragile threads of blood and ambition. And now, in the tumult of Edward's passing, he had seized the crown for himself.

The implications of Harold's usurpation were profound, reverberating across the narrow channel that separated our lands. For I, William, Duke of Normandy, stood as Edward's chosen successor, his solemn oath binding me to the throne of England.

Yet, Harold's brazen act of defiance threatened to unravel the delicate tapestry of succession that Edward had painstakingly woven. The crown that was rightfully mine now hung in the balance, poised between the claims of blood and the clamor of ambition.

"Harold must be stopped," I declared, my voice ringing with conviction. "His treachery cannot go unpunished."

My advisors murmured their agreement, their minds already racing with strategies and schemes. Among them stood Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, his sharp intellect matched only by his unwavering loyalty. At his side was William FitzOsbern, a seasoned warrior whose prowess on the battlefield was matched only by his shrewdness in matters of state.

"The legacy of Charlemagne looms large over us," Odo intoned, his gaze piercing the veil of uncertainty that hung over our gathering. "We must uphold the sacred duty bestowed upon us by our forebears, to safeguard the realm and protect the rightful succession."

The words struck a chord within me, igniting the fires of resolve that burned fiercely in my breast. I had long prepared for this moment, honing my skills of warfare and statecraft in anticipation of the day when destiny would beckon me across the sea.

"Prepare the fleet," I commanded, my voice carrying the weight of certainty. "We sail for England with all haste."

And so, the die was cast, and the wheels of fate set into motion. From the shores of Normandy arose a mighty armada, its sails billowing in the wind like the wings of avenging angels. I stood at the prow of my flagship, the sea spray mingling with the fire that blazed in my eyes.

Ahead lay England, a land ripe for conquest and redemption. Harold Godwinson may have seized the crown, but he would soon learn that the will of a Norman duke was not so easily thwarted.

As the shores of England loomed on the horizon, I felt a surge of anticipation coursing through my veins. The time for reckoning had come, and I, William the Conqueror, would not rest until I had claimed my rightful place as ruler of Britannia.

Last edited:

The news hit like a thunderbolt, shaking the very foundation of my being. Edward the Confessor, the pious and frail monarch who had reigned over the land of England, had breathed his last. His passing was not unexpected, for age and infirmity had long shadowed his steps. Yet, the weight of his absence cast a pall of uncertainty over the realm.

I stood within the hallowed halls of my ancestral home in Normandy, surrounded by advisors and courtiers, their faces etched with concern and urgency. Word had reached us swiftly, borne on the wings of swift messengers who traversed land and sea to deliver their grave tidings.

"Edward is dead," the herald had proclaimed, his voice heavy with the weight of history. "And in his stead, Harold Godwinson has crowned himself king."

The revelation sent shockwaves through the assembled gathering. Harold Godwinson, the ambitious Earl of Wessex, had long harbored designs for the English throne. His claim, though tenuous, rested on the fragile threads of blood and ambition. And now, in the tumult of Edward's passing, he had seized the crown for himself.

The implications of Harold's usurpation were profound, reverberating across the narrow channel that separated our lands. For I, William, Duke of Normandy, stood as Edward's chosen successor, his solemn oath binding me to the throne of England.

Yet, Harold's brazen act of defiance threatened to unravel the delicate tapestry of succession that Edward had painstakingly woven. The crown that was rightfully mine now hung in the balance, poised between the claims of blood and the clamor of ambition.

"Harold must be stopped," I declared, my voice ringing with conviction. "His treachery cannot go unpunished."

My advisors murmured their agreement, their minds already racing with strategies and schemes. Among them stood Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, his sharp intellect matched only by his unwavering loyalty. At his side was William FitzOsbern, a seasoned warrior whose prowess on the battlefield was matched only by his shrewdness in matters of state.

"The legacy of Charlemagne looms large over us," Odo intoned, his gaze piercing the veil of uncertainty that hung over our gathering. "We must uphold the sacred duty bestowed upon us by our forebears, to safeguard the realm and protect the rightful succession."

The words struck a chord within me, igniting the fires of resolve that burned fiercely in my breast. I had long prepared for this moment, honing my skills of warfare and statecraft in anticipation of the day when destiny would beckon me across the sea.

"Prepare the fleet," I commanded, my voice carrying the weight of certainty. "We sail for England with all haste."

And so, the die was cast, and the wheels of fate set into motion. From the shores of Normandy arose a mighty armada, its sails billowing in the wind like the wings of avenging angels. I stood at the prow of my flagship, the sea spray mingling with the fire that blazed in my eyes.

Ahead lay England, a land ripe for conquest and redemption. Harold Godwinson may have seized the crown, but he would soon learn that the will of a Norman duke was not so easily thwarted.

As the shores of England loomed on the horizon, I felt a surge of anticipation coursing through my veins. The time for reckoning had come, and I, William the Conqueror, would not rest until I had claimed my rightful place as ruler of Britannia.
AMAZING start

Chapter I: The bonds of Family and Destiny
Chapter I: The Bonds of Family and Destiny

**William's Perspective*

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting its golden hues upon the tranquil waters of the English Channel, I sought solace within the chambers of my keep. The weight of impending conflict hung heavy in the air, yet amidst the turmoil of war, the bonds of family remained steadfast and true. Matilda, my ever-faithful consort, offered words of comfort and counsel, her wisdom a beacon of hope amidst the gathering storm.

"It is a time of great uncertainty, my lord," she spoke softly, her voice a soothing balm to the tumult of my thoughts. "But fear not, for the blood of conquerors flows through your veins, and destiny shall be our guide."

Her words stirred a sense of resolve within me, reminding me of the legacy of triumph that coursed through the veins of our lineage. The house of Normandy had long stood as a bulwark against the tides of adversity, and now, in our hour of greatest need, we would rise to meet the challenge that fate had set before us.

Beside me, Robert Curthose stood tall and proud, his gaze fixed upon the flickering flames that danced within the hearth. His youth belied a keen intellect and a hunger for glory, traits that mirrored my own in the days of my youth.

**Matilda's Perspective*

As I stood by my husband's side, the weight of responsibility bore down upon me like an iron shackle. In the flickering light of the hearth, I watched as William grappled with the burden of leadership, his brow furrowed with the weight of impending conflict.

"It is a time of great uncertainty, my lord," I spoke softly, my voice a gentle reassurance amidst the storm that raged within his soul. "But fear not, for the blood of conquerors flows through your veins, and destiny shall be our guide."

I reached out to touch his hand, seeking to offer whatever solace I could in the face of the trials that lay ahead. For though the path before us was fraught with peril, I knew that together, we could weather any storm that fate dared to unleash upon us.

**Robert's Perspective*

As I stood in the shadow of my father, the weight of expectation hung heavy upon my shoulders. The flames of ambition burned bright within me, driving me ever onward towards the glory that awaited on the field of battle.

"Father," I began, my voice tinged with the weight of concern. "What of our plans for the invasion? With Harold Godwinson preoccupied by the threat of Harold Hardrada, should we not seize the opportunity to strike while our foes are divided?"

His response was measured, tempered by the wisdom of years spent waging war and forging alliances. Yet, in his eyes, I saw the flicker of uncertainty, a recognition of the challenges that lay ahead.

"The hour of reckoning draws near, my son," he replied, his voice a low rumble in the stillness of the chamber. "But we must not underestimate the resolve of our foes. Harold Godwinson may be preoccupied with the threat of Hardrada, but he is a cunning adversary, and we must be prepared for any eventuality."

His words echoed in my mind, a reminder of the weight of responsibility that came with the mantle of leadership. Yet, as I stood at the threshold of destiny, I knew that the time had come to seize the reins of fate and carve my own path amidst the chaos of war.

Author's Note: The first three chapters, excluding the prologue, were already written prior to this installment. Thank you for joining me on this journey through the tumultuous landscape of alternate history and the ambitions of William the Conqueror. Your feedback and support are greatly appreciated as we delve deeper into the unfolding saga of "Emperor William: Conqueror of Britannia."

Chapter I: The Bonds of Family and Destiny

**William's Perspective*

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting its golden hues upon the tranquil waters of the English Channel, I sought solace within the chambers of my keep. The weight of impending conflict hung heavy in the air, yet amidst the turmoil of war, the bonds of family remained steadfast and true. Matilda, my ever-faithful consort, offered words of comfort and counsel, her wisdom a beacon of hope amidst the gathering storm.

"It is a time of great uncertainty, my lord," she spoke softly, her voice a soothing balm to the tumult of my thoughts. "But fear not, for the blood of conquerors flows through your veins, and destiny shall be our guide."

Her words stirred a sense of resolve within me, reminding me of the legacy of triumph that coursed through the veins of our lineage. The house of Normandy had long stood as a bulwark against the tides of adversity, and now, in our hour of greatest need, we would rise to meet the challenge that fate had set before us.

Beside me, Robert Curthose stood tall and proud, his gaze fixed upon the flickering flames that danced within the hearth. His youth belied a keen intellect and a hunger for glory, traits that mirrored my own in the days of my youth.

**Matilda's Perspective*

As I stood by my husband's side, the weight of responsibility bore down upon me like an iron shackle. In the flickering light of the hearth, I watched as William grappled with the burden of leadership, his brow furrowed with the weight of impending conflict.

"It is a time of great uncertainty, my lord," I spoke softly, my voice a gentle reassurance amidst the storm that raged within his soul. "But fear not, for the blood of conquerors flows through your veins, and destiny shall be our guide."

I reached out to touch his hand, seeking to offer whatever solace I could in the face of the trials that lay ahead. For though the path before us was fraught with peril, I knew that together, we could weather any storm that fate dared to unleash upon us.

**Robert's Perspective*

As I stood in the shadow of my father, the weight of expectation hung heavy upon my shoulders. The flames of ambition burned bright within me, driving me ever onward towards the glory that awaited on the field of battle.

"Father," I began, my voice tinged with the weight of concern. "What of our plans for the invasion? With Harold Godwinson preoccupied by the threat of Harold Hardrada, should we not seize the opportunity to strike while our foes are divided?"

His response was measured, tempered by the wisdom of years spent waging war and forging alliances. Yet, in his eyes, I saw the flicker of uncertainty, a recognition of the challenges that lay ahead.

"The hour of reckoning draws near, my son," he replied, his voice a low rumble in the stillness of the chamber. "But we must not underestimate the resolve of our foes. Harold Godwinson may be preoccupied with the threat of Hardrada, but he is a cunning adversary, and we must be prepared for any eventuality."

His words echoed in my mind, a reminder of the weight of responsibility that came with the mantle of leadership. Yet, as I stood at the threshold of destiny, I knew that the time had come to seize the reins of fate and carve my own path amidst the chaos of war.

Author's Note: The first three chapters, excluding the prologue, were already written prior to this installment. Thank you for joining me on this journey through the tumultuous landscape of alternate history and the ambitions of William the Conqueror. Your feedback and support are greatly appreciated as we delve deeper into the unfolding saga of "Emperor William: Conqueror of Britannia."
Love the Pov's! Robert will make an amazing emperor! And William and matilda has such a solid marriage despite the rough start (the whole pulling her braids and pushing her into the mud thing)

Chapter II: The Gathering Storm
Chapter II: The Gathering Storm

**Harold Godwinson's Perspective*

The weight of kingship bore heavily upon my shoulders as I stood atop the windswept cliffs of England, gazing out across the churning sea. The news of Edward the Confessor's passing had plunged the realm into turmoil, and now, as his chosen successor, the burden of leadership fell squarely upon my shoulders.

Yet, even as I grappled with the weight of destiny, whispers of dissent echoed in the halls of my court. My advisors, Leofric of Mercia and Siward of Northumbria, murmured their doubts, questioning the wisdom of my decisions and the strength of my resolve.

"The Norsemen mass their forces across the sea," they warned, their voices tinged with fear and uncertainty. "And William of Normandy plots his invasion from the south. We are besieged on all sides, my lord, and yet we remain indecisive in our response."

Their words struck a nerve within me, stirring a tempest of doubt and indecision that raged within my soul. The prospect of facing two formidable adversaries on the field of battle filled me with a sense of dread, yet I knew that retreat was not an option.

"The fate of England hangs in the balance," I declared, my voice ringing with a steely resolve that belied the turmoil that churned within. "We must stand firm against the tide of invasion, lest our realm fall into the hands of foreign conquerors."

Yet, even as I spoke, doubt gnawed at the edges of my consciousness. The specter of Edward the Confessor's great-nephew, Edgar Ætheling, loomed large in the minds of the Anglo-Saxon nobles, their whispers growing ever louder with each passing day.

"Make Edgar Ætheling your heir," they urged, their voices a chorus of dissent that threatened to undermine my authority. "He is the rightful successor to the throne, the true heir to Edward's legacy."

As I grappled with the weight of their words, my mind drifted back to Edward's final moments. In the dimly lit chamber of his bedchamber, the frail monarch had whispered his last wishes to me, his voice barely more than a whisper.

"Harold," he had said, his eyes clouded with the haze of approaching death. "You... must... protect... the realm..."

His words had hung heavy in the air, a solemn oath that bound me to the throne of England. Yet, even as I vowed to honor his dying wishes, doubt gnawed at the edges of my consciousness. Had Edward truly chosen me as his heir, or was there more to his final words than met the eye?

The suggestion hung heavy in the air, a stark reminder of the fragile threads that bound together the fabric of Anglo-Saxon rule. Yet, even as I grappled with the weight of their words, I knew that the time for indecision had passed. The fate of England rested upon my shoulders, and I would not falter in the face of adversity.

**Harold Hardrada's Perspective*

From the shores of Norway, I, Harold Hardrada, gazed across the vast expanse of the North Sea towards the land of England. The time had come to reclaim the throne that was rightfully mine, to assert my dominance over the petty kings who dared to defy my rule.

The news of Edward the Confessor's passing had ignited a spark of hope within me, a glimmer of opportunity amidst the chaos of succession. With Harold Godwinson preoccupied by the threat of William of Normandy, the path to conquest lay open before me, a tantalizing prize within my grasp.

Yet, even as I marshaled my forces for war, whispers of dissent echoed through the ranks of my men. They questioned the wisdom of my ambitions, the folly of challenging the might of the Anglo-Saxon king.

"Why risk our lives for a distant throne?" they grumbled, their voices a chorus of discontent that threatened to undermine my authority. "Let us return to the safety of our homes, where the spoils of war are within reach and the promise of glory is but a dream."

Their words stung like the lash of a whip, yet I knew that retreat was not an option. The blood of warriors flowed through my veins, and the call of destiny beckoned me onwards towards the shores of England.

"The time for hesitation has passed," I declared, my voice ringing with the certainty of conviction. "We march for England, to claim what is rightfully ours and to carve our names into the annals of history."

And so, amidst the tumult of conflicting ambitions and uncertain futures, the stage was set for the clash of kings and the forging of destinies that would echo through the ages. The fate of England hung in the balance, poised between the swords of rival claimants and the dreams of conquest that burned bright within their hearts.

Love the Pov's! Robert will make an amazing emperor! And William and matilda has such a solid marriage despite the rough start (the whole pulling her braids and pushing her into the mud thing)

I'm working on a project titled "Emperor William: Conqueror of Britannia." It's an alternate history where William the Conqueror successfully expands his rule to Britannia. I'm really eager to hear everyone's input and feedback on this concept! What are your thoughts? I would also like to add I plan on this being a community project. I feel everyone can contribute.

Very promising story, but I have a slight doubt, which concerns the imperial title that William's descendants will have, where did he come from ?, because in this period ( at least until Napoleon ) the only imperial title officially recognized by everyone was the one deriving from Rome ( whether HRE or Byzantium depending on the political orientation and geographical positioning ) there were no others, so I can't understand this point ?, because I doubt that the pontiff would want to create a new Augustus, it would only form new headaches and frictions with the legitimate and only Emperor of the West ( currently Henry IV ) perhaps it could be ensured that the Normans manage to make their way within the complex HRE politics and perhaps in the future obtain the crown of Charlemagne, because otherwise I don't see any possible alternative scenarios to achieve the imperial purple

Very promising story, but I have a slight doubt, which concerns the imperial title that William's descendants will have, where did he come from ?, because in this period ( at least until Napoleon ) the only imperial title officially recognized by everyone was the one deriving from Rome ( whether HRE or Byzantium depending on the political orientation and geographical positioning ) there were no others, so I can't understand this point ?, because I doubt that the pontiff would want to create a new Augustus, it would only form new headaches and frictions with the legitimate and only Emperor of the West ( currently Henry IV ) perhaps it could be ensured that the Normans manage to make their way within the complex HRE politics and perhaps in the future obtain the crown of Charlemagne, because otherwise I don't see any possible alternative scenarios to achieve the imperial purple
Thank you for your thoughtful feedback and questions regarding the imperial title in the story. Your insights are valuable and I appreciate the opportunity to elaborate on the direction I plan to take.

Initially, William the Conqueror's primary ambition is indeed focused on claiming the throne of England, a title he believes is rightfully his through blood and conquest. However, as the story progresses, William's ambitions evolve and expand beyond the borders of England. Inspired by the legacies of great conquerors such as Charlemagne and Cnut, William begins to envision himself as the ruler of a vast empire, one that encompasses not only England but also territories across the Channel and beyond.

As William's conquests bring him greater power and influence, he becomes increasingly dissatisfied with the limitations of his title as King of England. He sees the Holy Roman Empire as a model of imperial authority and prestige, yet he also recognizes its complexities and challenges. Through his interactions with the political landscape of Europe, William begins to question the legitimacy and effectiveness of the existing imperial structures.

Driven by his vision of grandeur and a desire to leave his mark on history, William sets his sights on the title of emperor, envisioning himself as the ruler of a new Roman province: Britannia. Inspired by the precedent set by Charlemagne's conquest of the Lombards and Cnut's North Sea Empire, William sees himself as the rightful heir to a legacy of conquest and imperial glory.

As the story unfolds, William's quest for imperial power will bring him into conflict with the established order of Europe, including the Holy Roman Empire and its allies. Yet, fueled by ambition and determination, William will stop at nothing to realize his vision of Britannia as a new seat of imperial power and influence.

I hope this provides some insight into the direction I plan to take with the story and addresses your concerns regarding the imperial title. Thank you again for your feedback, and I look forward to sharing more of the narrative as it unfolds.

Again if you have any ideas on how to improve this story feel free to help contribute.

As the story unfolds, William's quest for imperial power will bring him into conflict with the established order of Europe, including the Holy Roman Empire and its allies. Yet, fueled by ambition and determination, William will stop at nothing to realize his vision of Britannia as a new seat of imperial power and influence.
Yessir! And his primary goals should be wales, scotland and ireland. Gotta unite the british isles first and foremost

Chapter III: The Echoes of War
Chapter III: The Echoes of War

**William's Perspective*

As news of the Battle of Fulford reached me, I found myself immersed in a whirlwind of strategic contemplation. The clash between Harald Hardrada and Harold Godwinson presented an opportunity too valuable to ignore. While the two adversaries battled for supremacy in the north, I saw a chance to bide my time, to let their conflict sap their strength and resources.

"Why rush headlong into battle when time is on our side?" I pondered, my thoughts weaving intricate webs of strategy and cunning. "Let Harold exhaust himself in the defense of his realm, while we stand poised to strike when the moment is ripe."

With each passing day, I observed the ebb and flow of events with a keen eye, measuring the shifting tides of fortune and opportunity. While my advisors clamored for immediate action, urging me to seize the initiative and press our advantage, I remained steadfast in my resolve to wait for the opportune moment to strike.

"The Vikings may ravage the north, but their presence serves our purpose well," I mused, envisioning the conflict as a crucible in which our enemies would be forged and tempered. "Let them bleed one another dry, while we prepare to claim the spoils of victory."

And so, amidst the chaos and uncertainty of war, I held fast to my conviction, trusting in the wisdom of patience and prudence. For while the flames of conflict raged across the land, I knew that our moment of triumph lay just beyond the horizon, waiting to be seized by those bold enough to grasp it.

**Robert Curthose's Perspective*

As I stood at my father's side, the clamor of war councils and the clash of arms filled the air with a palpable tension. The news of the Battle of Fulford had set the realm ablaze with turmoil, and the weight of uncertainty bore down upon us like a suffocating blanket.

Yet, amidst the chaos and confusion, a glimmer of possibility shimmered on the horizon. My father, William, Duke of Normandy, stood as a beacon of resolve and determination, his eyes ablaze with the fire of ambition and destiny.

"Father," I began, my voice tinged with the excitement of newfound revelation. "With Harold Godwinson preoccupied in the north, the path to the throne lies open before us. Why should we not seize this opportunity to claim what is rightfully ours?"

His response was measured, tempered by the wisdom of years spent waging war and forging alliances. Yet, in his eyes, I saw a spark of recognition, a flicker of acknowledgement that mirrored the dreams that danced within my own heart.

"The time for hesitation has passed," he declared, his voice ringing with the certainty of conviction. "We march for England, not as conquerors, but as rightful heirs to the throne. And when the dust of battle settles, it will be William, Duke of Normandy, who stands as king."

**War Council's Perspective*

As the war council convened, the air crackled with tension and anticipation. William's trusted commanders and advisors, including Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, and William FitzOsbern, Earl of Hereford, gathered around the table, their faces set in grim determination.

"Our forces are marshaled and ready for battle," Odo declared, his voice resonating with the authority of his ecclesiastical office. "Yet, the question remains: who shall lead us into battle? Who shall claim the throne of England as their rightful inheritance?"

The murmurs of debate filled the chamber, each voice clamoring to be heard amidst the cacophony of conflicting opinions and ambitions. Sir Alan Rufus, a stalwart knight and loyal ally, spoke passionately of William's prowess as a leader and warrior, urging his fellow councilors to place their faith in the Duke of Normandy.

"It shall be William, Duke of Normandy," Alan proclaimed, his voice carrying the weight of conviction born from years of battle alongside his liege lord. "For he alone possesses the strength, the resolve, and the vision to lead England into a new age of glory and prosperity."

And so, amidst the echoes of war and the clamor of conflict, the stage was set for the final act of a drama that would echo through the annals of history. The future of England hung in the balance, poised between the ambitions of kings and the dreams of conquerors. And in the heart of the storm stood William, Duke of Normandy, his eyes fixed upon the horizon as he prepared to claim his rightful place as ruler of England.

Author's Note: This concludes the chapters I've written so far. I'm eager to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions on the story thus far and welcome any feedback or suggestions for future chapters. Thank you for joining me on this journey through the tumultuous landscape of alternate history and the ambitions of William the Conqueror.

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback and questions regarding the imperial title in the story. Your insights are valuable and I appreciate the opportunity to elaborate on the direction I plan to take.

Initially, William the Conqueror's primary ambition is indeed focused on claiming the throne of England, a title he believes is rightfully his through blood and conquest. However, as the story progresses, William's ambitions evolve and expand beyond the borders of England. Inspired by the legacies of great conquerors such as Charlemagne and Cnut, William begins to envision himself as the ruler of a vast empire, one that encompasses not only England but also territories across the Channel and beyond.

As William's conquests bring him greater power and influence, he becomes increasingly dissatisfied with the limitations of his title as King of England. He sees the Holy Roman Empire as a model of imperial authority and prestige, yet he also recognizes its complexities and challenges. Through his interactions with the political landscape of Europe, William begins to question the legitimacy and effectiveness of the existing imperial structures.

Driven by his vision of grandeur and a desire to leave his mark on history, William sets his sights on the title of emperor, envisioning himself as the ruler of a new Roman province: Britannia. Inspired by the precedent set by Charlemagne's conquest of the Lombards and Cnut's North Sea Empire, William sees himself as the rightful heir to a legacy of conquest and imperial glory.

I hope this provides some insight into the direction I plan to take with the story and addresses your concerns regarding the imperial title. Thank you again for your feedback, and I look forward to sharing more of the narrative as it unfolds.

Again if you have any ideas on how to improve this story feel free to help contribute.

Ok, thanks for the kind explanation, but the fact remains that what we call Cnut's " Northern Empire " was considered a kingdom of medium importance at the time, just think that Cnut in Otl performed a vassalage ceremony to Conrad II during his imperial coronation in Rome, furthermore the power and cohesion of the HRE in this period is much higher than that of the following centuries ( it is certainly still dependent on the ability and charisma of the Emperor, but the power and imperial influence are universally recognized, at least by the Frankish - Latin nations ) furthermore there is the small problem that the imperial title itself is inextricably associated with the control of Italy, so whoever can actually exercise direct influence on site is the undisputed leader of Christianity ( reformist Popes starting ) on the contrary, Britain would be an important kingdom but still in second place compared to France or the Empire, so I'm sorry, but I still don't see how it is possible for William to legally aspire to the title of Caesar, except perhaps to expand Normandy into imperial Flanders or to personally control and supervise the expansion of the Altavillas into Southern Italy ( which is extremely complicated, given that it was im coinciding with his expedition to England ) not even trying the religious conversion card can help him since even the Orthodox only recognize Rome ( ERE or Byzantium ) as a universal and exclusive Empire, to be conclude, at the time Northern Europe was extremely rich compared to previous centuries, but very poor respect to French or Italian possessions, and this remained so until well into the 17th century, so it is a bit difficult for me to imagine an Emperor Norman who is richer and more powerful than a prince in France or Matilda of Canossa, it would be more likely to see Roger II or Manuel I become HRE and be able to defend the title than a distant emperor who is considered a "king of Vikings" enhanced

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the kind explanation, but the fact remains that what we call Cnut's " Northern Empire " was considered a kingdom of medium importance at the time, just think that Cnut in Otl performed a vassalage ceremony to Conrad II during his imperial coronation in Rome, furthermore the power and cohesion of the HRE in this period is much higher than that of the following centuries ( it is certainly still dependent on the ability and charisma of the Emperor, but the power and imperial influence are universally recognized, at least by the Frankish - Latin nations ) furthermore there is the small problem that the imperial title itself is inextricably associated with the control of Italy, so whoever can actually exercise direct influence on site is the undisputed leader of Christianity ( reformist Popes starting ) on the contrary, Britain would be an important kingdom but still in second place compared to France or the Empire, so I'm sorry, but I still don't see how it is possible for William to legally aspire to the title of Caesar, except perhaps to expand Normandy into imperial Flanders or to personally control and supervise the expansion of the Altavillas into Southern Italy ( which is extremely complicated, given that it was im coinciding with his expedition to England ) not even trying the religious conversion card can help him since even the Orthodox only recognize Rome ( ERE or Byzantium ) as a universal and exclusive Empire, to be conclude, at the time Northern Europe was extremely rich compared to previous centuries, but very poor respect to French or Italian possessions, and this remained so until well into the 16th century, so it is a bit difficult for me to imagine an Emperor Norman who is richer and more powerful than a prince in France or Matilda of Canossa, it would be more likely to see Roger II or Manuel I become HRE and be able to defend the title than a distant emperor who is considered a "king of Vikings" enhanced
You bring up an important aspect of the alternate timeline: the reception and acceptance of the House of Normandy as an imperial dynasty and the Empire of Britannia as a legitimate empire by the rest of Europe. Despite the ambitious aspirations of William the Conqueror and his descendants, the established power structures and traditional hierarchies of Europe would likely resist such changes.

Initially, other European powers may view the House of Normandy's claims to imperial title with skepticism and suspicion. The Holy Roman Empire, in particular, would likely see the expansion of Norman influence into Italy as a direct challenge to its authority. Diplomatic tensions and conflicts could arise as the Normans seek to assert their dominance in continental Europe.

Furthermore, the Norman-English Empire's position as a newcomer on the European stage may face resistance from established dynasties and kingdoms. France, in particular, may view the growing power of the Normans with apprehension, leading to potential conflicts over territorial claims and spheres of influence.

As the Norman-English Empire consolidates its power and expands its influence, it may face resistance and opposition from other European powers reluctant to acknowledge its legitimacy. Diplomatic maneuvering, military campaigns, and strategic alliances would be necessary to overcome these challenges and establish the Empire of Britannia as a recognized and respected entity on the European stage.

Ultimately, the road to acceptance as an imperial dynasty would be fraught with obstacles and opposition. It would require not only military might and political acumen but also a willingness to navigate the complex web of European politics and diplomacy. The House of Normandy's journey towards imperial legitimacy would be a test of their ambition, resilience, and ability to shape the course of history in this alternate timeline.