Effects of a Failed Operation Sealion in British Popular Culture

How did the Germans expect the Kreigsmarine to defeat the Royal Navy anyways? The Royal Navy so outnumbered the Kreigsmarine that all the sneaky tricks in the world would not make a large invasion possible to carry out without having the Royal Navy come steaming and start sinking everything.

The Germans expected to land on a relatively narrow front, using the surface fleet and submarines to guard the flanks of the sea passage. The Army wanted a broad front; the Navy proposed a much narrower front.

A narrow front gives the inevitable aerial counter-attack by the British better chances of hitting the ships. Also, battleship guns have serious range, so it's going to take a lot of U-Boats a long way in front of the flotilla to keep the Brits off.

Well personal feuds aside, I really like this thread. The mentions of movies, books, and AU heroes showing up is quite fun and interesting. I have nothing to add to facts, but I think that you might even have The King showing up near the battle-lines to add to morale and cheer on his Men (and many ladies as well).

Well personal feuds aside, I really like this thread. The mentions of movies, books, and AU heroes showing up is quite fun and interesting. I have nothing to add to facts, but I think that you might even have The King showing up near the battle-lines to add to morale and cheer on his Men (and many ladies as well).

They would never risk it, they might let him near the artillery but they dont want him getting sniped.

comics

when I was a child growing up in the '60's many boys comics such as the Victor ,Lion ,Hotspur etc had strips based on WW2 ,maybe we would see Captain Hurricane and his faithful batman Malone at the siege of Dover or the Bash street kids harrying paratroopers with catapults:D

when I was a child growing up in the '60's many boys comics such as the Victor ,Lion ,Hotspur etc had strips based on WW2 ,maybe we would see Captain Hurricane and his faithful batman Malone at the siege of Dover or the Bash street kids harrying paratroopers with catapults:D
The Bash Street Kids only turned up in '54, so I suspect Lord Snooty and his pals get the job (in fact, they got a bit anyway of my "Beano And Dandy: Around The World In 60 Years" is right). I expect you'd see "LDV Comics" instead of "Commando Comics", and "The Broons" would probably feature at least one 'Rememberance Day' strip every annual.

Delta Force

Banned
They didn't. They hoped the Luftwaffe would do that. Have a look at the sticky thread (the first one up there) for more info.
Even with air superiority it seems the Germans did not have the ability to harm warships (unless perhaps at anchor). The UK had 800 torpedo boats and the Germans had trouble defeating them with aircraft, and to top that the Luftwaffe lacked armor piercing bombs and aircraft torpedoes you would need to defeat a major warship. Any major offensive would need to wait for the Germans to establish their own production lines for such weapons (Italy might be able to give them blueprints for some weapons but would not be a reliable supplier). Even then there would be the problem of trying to sink torpedo boats by air, and they would likely attack even without screening support if an invasion were to occur to prevent a beachhead from being established.

Even with air superiority it seems the Germans did not have the ability to harm warships (unless perhaps at anchor). The UK had 800 torpedo boats and the Germans had trouble defeating them with aircraft, and to top that the Luftwaffe lacked armor piercing bombs and aircraft torpedoes you would need to defeat a major warship. Any major offensive would need to wait for the Germans to establish their own production lines for such weapons (Italy might be able to give them blueprints for some weapons but would not be a reliable supplier). Even then there would be the problem of trying to sink torpedo boats by air, and they would likely attack even without screening support if an invasion were to occur to prevent a beachhead from being established.

Things are quite a bit more complicated than that.

For instance, the Germans had put together quite a number of small-fry flotillas made up of patrol boats, minelayers, minesweepers, armed trawlers, and yes, torpedo boats. Thes lightweights would have at least a fighting chance against British torpedo boats - alone.

And surely Luftwaffe bombers, Stukas included, are unlikely to ever hit a fast-moving small torpedo boat, barring sheer luck.
But that small boat, often having a wooden hull, is exactly the kind of vessel that a good 20mm cannon can achieve a mission kill against. Those cannons were carried by all Luftwaffe fighters.
Now, I wouldn't suggest to waste Bf 109s for that. They were needed to chase British fighters. But the Germans had the Bf 110s, which were not very good at air-to-air fight - but, OTOH, carried two 20mm cannons. A small, wooden torpedo boat strafed by a Bf 110 will probably not sink, but it's very unlikely that it will remain combat-worthy.

But generally speaking you are not wrong. Just please observe that I stated what the Germans hoped. I never said their hope had chances to be realistically fulfilled.

You can read more here.

The Bash Street Kids only turned up in '54, so I suspect Lord Snooty and his pals get the job (in fact, they got a bit anyway of my "Beano And Dandy: Around The World In 60 Years" is right). I expect you'd see "LDV Comics" instead of "Commando Comics", and "The Broons" would probably feature at least one 'Rememberance Day' strip every annual.
German paratroops land near the But 'n' Benn, where Hen and Joe, on leave, capture them with support from Grandpaw Broon's Home Guard contingent.

Whilst captured the Twins fire catapults at them and the Bairn hits them with her doll. Maggie and Daphne try to pull the kilted Scots officers that come to take them away as POWs. Only Maggie succeeds. Daphne is seen chatting to a portly Home Guard volunteer twice her age.

Ma Broon makes the officers and Home Guard neeps 'n' tatties, whilst Paw Broon complains that it has used up their ration allowances.

From the Sunday Post, 29th September 1940

Oor Wullie helps out the Home Guard when a Nazi spy is found in Auchtenshoogle.
Oor_Wullie.jpg

Something like this for Commando?
5589065434_b651efee1e_m.jpg

Hello, Hello! (1982)

Hello, Hello! was a British sitcom that ran for six episodes in the autumn of 1982. It was universally dismissed as offensive and disrespectful by critics at the time, but today has a cult following due to the portrayal of an incompetent Home Guard officer, played by Leonard Pierce. Plans for a second series were shelved after hundreds of compliants and a campaign by the Daily Express.

Plot
Ronnie Arthurs is a pub landlord in a Sussex coastal village at the time of the Battle of Britain in September 1940. In episode one "Invasion!" he is introduced as a womaniser, fraternising with his barmaids Eve and Mary, whilst being married to the pub's owner Edith, a failed music hall performer.

The first episode sets the scene as the German's, led by General Von Klinkerhoffen, arrive. At the same time, two RAF airmen are shot down in the area. Ronnie is subsequently visited by Michelle, a resistance fighter, who encourages the reluctant landlord to hide them in his attic, under his mother-in-laws bed.

In episode two we see the arrival of Herr Flick, an incompetant Gestapo officer, as well as a Free French spy who disguises himself as a local policeman.

Recurring catchphrases and stereotypes
The show had recurring ctacphrases for characters. The French policeman spoke apalling English, such coming on stage with the greeting "Good Moaning". The British Airmen were stereotypical RAF officers. Michelle, the resistance officer said "Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once" in a broad, slow, rural English accent.

Edith would always catch Ronnie fraternising with the barmaids at which point she would challenge him with "Ronnie! What are you doing with that barmaid in your arms?". Ronnie would inevitably reply "You stupid woman!" and provide a feeble excuse.

The most controversial character was the elderly Home Guard soldier who was in hiding and would appear in a poor disguise in each episode, usually by raising his spectacles and saying "It is I, Leonard.". Played by Leonard Pierce, he was always incompetent and usually the show finished with him being chased by a German in a "little tank".

Summary
Hello, Hello! was the first programme to challenge the popular myth that the Home Guard won the Battle single handed, and poke fun at the veterans. It is now accepted that Frankie Howerd was on top form as Ronnie Arthurs. At six weeks long, Hello, Hello! actually outlasted any real occupation in Sussex.

The show was released at the same time as another controversial sitcom "Love Thy Neighbour", the theme of which is a German couple moving in next door to working class couple in 1980s London.

Last edited:
What if the British didn't take the invasion threat seriously? Then we could have a world where the Germans are able to land, followed by bitter fighting as the Royal Navy, British Army, Royal Air Force, and whatever else that can be scraped up is thrown against the invaders. Of course, looking back, a British victory was all but assured. But back then, when proper English soil was being violated, the issue was very much in doubt.

No one has mentioned the 70's version of the "Battle of Britain" starring John Wayne as Winston Churchill. A portrayal that many critics rate as almost as convincing as his earlier role as Temugin.