East: An Alternate History of Judas Iscariot

(Note that in this, I do not mean to be offensive or blasphemous towards Christ. However, to adequately change history, one would need to change the events that happened in the Bible. This is purely fictional, I do not intend to create anything near a new religions)

Taken from The Bible, Holy English Version.

...and Judas, upon hearing these things, went into a deep mourning. He plowed his field with grief, and with a broken heart he sowed seeds. However, upon the third day, a man came to visit Judas.

"Go away," Judas said, bitterly glaring at the stranger. "No one is welcome here."

"Judas, do you not remember my teaching? 'The Son of Man has not come into this world to condemn it, but to save it.'"

Judas fell down on his face in anguish. "My God, my Lord, I dare not look upon your face."

Then Christ said,"
Go, your brothers and sisters are waiting."

Judas ran into town, stumbling upon Mary Madgeline and the two disciples.

"Mary, the lord has risen!" Judas exclaimed.

"He has appeared to us too!" Mary said! The Beloved Disciple was too amazed to notice Judas, but Peter fumed inwardly, but did not speak due to the situation. However, he did run ahead of them, and arrived at the place the disciples were staying first.

When they arrived at where the place they were at, Peter exploded into anger. "This traitor has the nerve to follow us here! He surely is a spy; he will kill us all!" Then, the Disciples armed themselves, and prepared for a bloody battle. However, then the group arrived, the Beloved Disciple could not contain his excitement.

"The Lord has risen! The Lord has come!" He said, barely able to be quiet enough to avoid suspicion.

About this time, Thomas had been walking past a synagogue, when he had heard the local Jewish leaders discussing with the centurions about what had happened to the tomb. He immediately set out to where the Disciples were, to report this. He was in town, so he sprinted to make fast time.

Then, Nathanael (who is also called Bartholomew) said to Peter, "Let them in, for they wish to share something glorious with us." However, Peter refused, making claims that Judas would just betray their location and arguing with the other disciples.

Then Andrew, the brother of Peter, stood up and said to Peter "Brother, if they wish any harm upon us, I will have the sword run through me first, but what they are saying is too awesome to ignore. Open the door, so that we at least might find peace before death." The room was in shock, since Andrew was notoriously quiet among them.

However, Peter drew his sword, and put it at Andrew's throat. "My brother, my own flesh and blood, have you betrayed me too? Am I surrounded by demons? Does Satan's throne stand at the top of Zion? No, I will kill all of you before I am dragged into disgrace!"

"
Enough!" Jesus said, appearing in the room. "Let the in!" Then Peter's sword shattered into twelve pieces. Peter sat in disgrace, as Phillip allowed them into the room. About this time, Thomas arrived, and saw Jesus among the disciples. His face whitened when he saw his wounds, and he believed in that moment.

"
Has the Son of Man come into the world to create infants? I have planned this to happen from the beginning of the ages! What right do you have to decide who are my children and who are not? Was it not I that walked with Enoch as he prophesied to the people and when he was taken into the Heavens? Was it not I that fought with the Nephillim and the Soulless Ones? Was it not I that bound Azazel in stones and sand, breaking his power so that you might prosper? Was it not I that lead Enoch through the seasons, of things far distant to him, and of the Son of Man? Was it not I that taught him of how his world of luxury and power was on the verge of collapse? Yet, look at the faith of Enoch. He believed in the Son of Man, even when his world was falling apart and dark forces beyond human comprehension were pulling at him at every corner.

And yet, you are greater than Enoch. You will do things by faith that not even the your greatest ancestor could ever think of. A new era has come; not of darkness but of light. Therefore, do not turn against each other, for you are not like ordinary men. Here, receive the Holy Spirit. With him, you shall go to the four corners of the earth. Everyone that hears of the Son of Man shall be saved and come into my kingdom.
"

Then Jesus dined with them, the whole party in joy at the risen savior. However, Peter was deeply angry, for Judas was counted among the righteous...

This is an interesting approach, curious to see where it will lead...
It will be the Bible up until Judas dies, but then I'll still try to progress it through some kind of quote system.

Might have another part up today since I don't have a ton going on until later.

Oh, I like this. I like this a lot. The figure of Judas has always fascinated me, especially the way that he was used by later writers and theologians. Also, we get precious few theological alternate histories on this site (I can't think of another off the top of my head, although I may be wrong). This is going to be good! May I ask what sources you are planning on using for this? Early Church History is one of my hobbies and, as an amateur, I'm always on the lookout for new books :D

Oh, I like this. I like this a lot. The figure of Judas has always fascinated me, especially the way that he was used by later writers and theologians. Also, we get precious few theological alternate histories on this site (I can't think of another off the top of my head, although I may be wrong). This is going to be good! May I ask what sources you are planning on using for this? Early Church History is one of my hobbies and, as an amateur, I'm always on the lookout for new books :D
Actually, I have plans for Judas to end up in a place where there really aren't all that many recognizable figures, though I won't give away too much. ;) Though I will be drawing a from a few inspirations for Judas' students, along with there being a bit of a different Bible cannon (for example, the Book of Enoch will probably be in the cannon). Also, let's say that history is gonna be a good bit... different. And Peter will be back. dun dun dun.

Taken from The Bible, Holy English Version

...after Christ ascended into the heavens, the Apostles began boldly proclaiming the truth that Christ had taught them. However, Peter still despised Judas, for he had betrayed the Lord. Judas began to pay back all he had stolen by working as a merchant, while the rest of the Apostles spread out and began preaching wherever they went. Soon, there were 5000 Christians inside of the city of Jerusalem. However, upon hearing of this growth, the head religious leaders began to demand that the Christians be destroyed. "They will cause riots and undermine your rule" they cried out to the authorities. So, a time of intense persecution came upon the apostles. But God was still with them, even in the fire.

[Editor's note: the story of Pentecost is similar enough to the one in a standard Bible to warrant omission in favor of reading a Standard Bible.]

...after these things, God blessed Judas in that he was able to pay off the debts he had accumulated. However, soon, the persecution became so great that most of the Christians in Jerusalem had to leave the city. Judas elected to follow Thomas, and Simon the Zealot and they began to head east.

They arrived in Persia, at Susa, and lodged with Houshyar the Architect. They lived here for five years, working diligently to spread Christ.

The King of Persia then began hearing reports from the local townspeople that Ahura Mazda had appeared in Susa. Being intrigued, he demanded that Thomas, Phillip, and Judas come to him in his palace to talk. The apostles found favor with the king, and he let them share the gospel without hindrance. However, when Peter heard about this, he burned with jealousy and anger. Seeing this, one of his disciples, Gad of Bethel, went to Persia to rebuke the king for allowing Judas to lodge with him.

"Why do you let this traitor lodge with you? Don't you know he is the one who betrayed the lord? God's blood is on his hands! Surely famine and pestilence will come over you if you let him stay!"

Thus, the King of Persia turned to Judas, and said: "Leave my country. You may take whatever you need, but I will not allow you to stay here any longer." And thus Judas left, with Thomas following him. Gad returned to Peter, and when Peter heard this, he openly rebuked Gad, but secretly applauded him, for he was deeply jealous. Suddenly, Peter was afflicted with a terrible skin disease, and went off into the wilderness. Meanwhile, Phillip remained in Persia. The rest of what Phillip did in Persia, from when the two apostles left all the way to when he died, are recorded in The Book of the Acts of Phillip the Apostle.

Cool idea! I have always thought that Judas is singled out for all the blood guilt in the Gospels and in Christians minds. After all, he repented and gave back the money he got from the Sanhedran, and doesn't Caiphas bear some of the guilt for the death of Joshua Bar Joseph?

I love the idea that Judas finds redemption for his betray. It fits well with the theme of Christianity. Not to mention how many bibilical scholars assume he could have repented and found salvation if he didn't off himself.

That said I'm curious to see how Peter will do with the jealousy considering he will be the "rock of the church will be built on". Maybe some more humility? anyhow subscribed for the great concept alone, and the great handling of the subject matter so far.

(Gonna take a quick detour to hit up what happened to Peter) (Note that a lot of imagery is out of the Book of Enoch)

From the Bible, Holy English Version. Book of the Acts of Peter

...And Peter, now in the desert, began to fast. And thus, the Serpent, Azazel, and Samyaza arrived to tempt him. However, at this time, Peter's hatred towards Judas was far stronger than Peter's love for the Lord. In the morning of the thirteenth day, Samyaza went out to Peter, and began to tempt him. Samyaza said to Peter, "If you worship me, I will give you this bread." And behold, a pitcher of cold water was in one hand, and a pitcher of water was in the other. "No!" Peter said, "I shall worship none but my Lord alone."

"Very well" Samyaza said, and poured out the water and smashed the bread into the dirt. Then Samyaza left. After this, Peter crawled through the ground looking for the water and the bread but could find none.

A few hours past noon on the twenty-sixth day, Azazel came to tempt Peter. "If you are truly chosen by God, command the sun to stop shining over you and burning you. Joshua was able to keep the sun still for six days in the days of old, surely you would be able to stop the sun from harming you!"

"No!" Peter said. "I will not tempt the Lord my God!" Azazel then departed. However, after Azazel left, Peter cried out for the sun to move, but it did not.

In the evening of the last day, the Serpent came to tempt Peter. However, the Serpent was greater than any other demon, having been the firstfallen one. He came to Peter as an angel of light, and said "Look! Peter! Has your God not come to save! Has He not destroyed the one who killed him? As it is written, 'The one who sins is the one who will die.' Take the sword I carry and slaughter the one who slaughtered God! Take this breastplate and defend the whole of the Church from this traitor. Are you not 'the Rock on which Christ will build his church?' All I ask is that you kiss my hand!" And thus, Peter kissed the Serpent's hand, and took for himself the sword and the breastplate, for Peter's hatred for Judas was far stronger than Peter's love for God.

Andrew, Peter's brother, was nearing the desert at around this time, for he had planned a great feast for Peter, in celebration of the end of his fast. However, he arrived just as Peter kissed the hand of the serpent.

"My Brother, why have you done this!" Andrew said, in utter shock at what he saw. Peter then realized what he had done, and broke down weeping. The Serpent then disappeared, content at what he had just done.

Then Jesus appeared to them. The two men both began weeping, like small children. At this place, a well sprang up, and it is called the Pool of Weeping to this day. Jesus then looked to Peter, and said "Where are you going after this?"

Peter said "I am going to Portus Namnetus," for when he was a small boy he had been told that that city was almost at the end of the world from where he was.

"
Very well" Jesus said. "You will arrive there and in good health. However, the hearts of the people there will be hardened. You will always be under persecution; persecution will be like a dark cloud suffocating you. Your children will be choked by weeds, and their children will be torn by crows. However, even though you have sinned greatly, I am still with you, for my blood is greater than all sin. Judas is mine, and so are his children. Like a foreman who has seen cracks in his foundation, so will the church be torn between differing ideas. Because of you, peace will be hard to find. But all who seek after me will find me, for the Son of Man loves all of mankind. "

Jesus then looked at Andrew. "
Learn from the lesson of your brother. Remember to follow me in all of your ways, and keep straight all of your paths. If you do, your church will expand, just as Jacob's seed expanded after he possessed Edom's birthright. You will be blessed in tongue and in ways. But both of you will be tortured by the people of the earth. And lo, you will not see me again until you see me in Heaven surrounded by Archangels, in full glory."

Thus Jesus went, and Andrew and Simon went back into the village. They told the congregation of all that had happened, and they wept all day and all night. Afterwards, Simon set off, getting on a grain ship heading for Nemausus. About this time, Scaevola, an ardent server of the Roman Gods and lover of Hades, came to power in the province. He declared all forms of worship not towards the Gods to be illegal, and burned hundreds of pagans that dared defy him. When Simon arrived, he was forced to hide in a leather tanner's home, for he was afraid to the point of death...

Well that's new. Can't say I expected any of the apostles to go to Gaul of all places. Now I'm getting visions of 3 "great churches" the one in the west and western Europe That makes Peter's church, the one in the East with Persia, India, and what not that follows Judas' version And one in the Middle, Paul's?, that connects the two

Well that's new. Can't say I expected any of the apostles to go to Gaul of all places. Now I'm getting visions of 3 "great churches" the one in the west and western Europe That makes Peter's church, the one in the East with Persia, India, and what not that follows Judas' version And one in the Middle, Paul's?, that connects the two

Not gonna give away too much, but there are gonna be twelve churches. And Peter went to Gaul because at least ITTL he heard about it as a boy (maybe from an experienced Soldier or a merchant), and it was far, far away from anyone else.

I need to flesh out Paul at some point, thanks for the reminder.

Taking the story of Jesus from a fully literary (and atheistic) approach, I've always felt Judas was a tragic character, damned, in a way, to sow the seeds for the Messianic destiny of the Christ-figure.
Nice to see your giving him a better fate. Looking forward to more.

Last edited:
From the Bible, Holy English Version

...and thus, Thomas and Judas traveled through India, nomads preaching the Gospel wherever they went. Arriving at Greco-Parthia, they preached the Gospel boldly in the nation, winning many converts and praising Christ. However, soon, word spread about Judas from neighboring Persia. The people were very afraid of them, because Judas was with them, and it had become common myth that Judas was cursed. The king demanded that the two Apostles leave the nation. The Apostles had been living at Kandahar for a bit over a year at this time, and had won many converts. Thomas appointed Heironymos, who had been a diligent disciple of the two men, to help maintain the Churches that had been planted there. The apostles then began to prepare to leave the nation.

However, at about this time, some Buddhist monks, lead by Basho, a rather famous traveling aesthetic who had made a name for himself for his long fasts, arrived in the town and began to stir up the people that had not heeded the Apostle's words.

"Who are these men to convince you to give up the ways of your ancestors? Why do you forsake your parents? Behold! These men are already cursed; by converting to their religion you are burning more iniquities into your side."

Thomas spoke up from among the Christians. "Who are you to talk of the spirit of God? What have you seen? I have seen the Lord in all his glory. I have walked with him and saw his ways. In fact, I have even doubted him! I was one of you at one point! However, I saw with my own eyes! In your own scriptures, there is a phrase that goes,

'Unexcelled virtue, concentration,
discernment, and release:
have been understood by Gotama of glorious stature.
Having known them directly,
he taught the Dhamma to the monks --
the Awakened One
the Teacher who has put an end to suffering and stress,
the One with vision
totally unbound.'

However, we have seen the one greater than even him! His origins are of ancient past, tenderly guiding his Chosen People into power, and remaining with them when they sinned. He stood next to them even when it was within his full right to destroy them. In fact, He has sent the Son of Man to destroy our bondage forever. We are no longer bound by sin and shame, but instead live a glorious life. For behold! The Son of Man has risen! He was crucified, the most brutal torture, and yet he arose, and is even here with us. For as our glorious Lord had said, 'I am with you, even to the end of the age!'"

This caused a great debate among the Buddhists. "Has one even greater than the Buddha appeared to them?" they said to each other. However, later that night, a group of Buddhists began to pursue Thomas and Judas. However, Heironymos and his friends were able to help them to escape. The apostles were outside of the city gates when Basho cornered Heironymos. Basho could not pursue the apostles out of the city, since it would warrant military intervention in the area which had been historically rather autonomous, so Basho vented his anger onto Heironymos.

"Leave this filthy pagan religion and come back to the true faith, or else we will kill you and all of your family!"

However, Heironymos would not. "I will love the Son of Man until the end of my life!" Heironymos declared.

"Very well; then the end of your life shall be soon!" Basho said, and him and his group began to stone Heironymos, and he fell asleep. Suddenly, the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man stood in the heavens, smiling happily and with outstretched arms to welcome His beloved servant. And then Heironymos arose from his body, in his Glorified form, and arose to heaven.

"
Your faithfulness to me has made me prouder than any mortal man could. Come, and sit at my table, so we may feast and you may rest. Your faithfulness will be greatly rewarded; it is because of you that this place will always glorify my name!" Then the Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel, and all the Angels, and all of the host of heaven rejoiced, as a righteous man had loved God to the point of death. After this, Basho ran away, going faster than the speediest racehorse, and his disciples close behind. Upon the site of Heironymos' ascension, the Church of Saint Heironymos was built, with the church gloriously endowed with gold and treasure from the idols and other pagan items of the people, after being melted and turned into something pleasing to God. This church still stands today.

After this, Thomas and Judas left for Karachi, preaching the Gospel wherever they went. The King of Greco-Parthia dared not disturb them, and incur the wrath of the people and the Son of Man. They boarded a ship to Jamnagar, and set off. In total, the two apostles had spent upwards of five years in this nation, and had expanded the Kingdom of God greatly.

However, their ship was hit with a storm, and soon the captain did not know where they were...

Last edited:
I'll put down a ton of updates now just in case if at some point in the next week or so I end up not being as ordered as normal.

EDIT: And don't worry, I already have planned how Thomas and Judas are gonna separate. I just am trying to advance the story Acts-style.

Last edited:
This is getting interesting!

I'm sure you will be getting into this; but what are Judas and Thomas' stance towards the law, in their preaching? Assuming they are making a fair number of converts, I would assume that the dietary law and circumcision are not being required (making them closer to Paul in their preaching?). Of course, considering that Hinduism, and Jainism both have some pretty strict dietary restrictions, from my understanding, maybe those being preached are actually a bit liberating :)

This is getting interesting!

I'm sure you will be getting into this; but what are Judas and Thomas' stance towards the law, in their preaching? Assuming they are making a fair number of converts, I would assume that the dietary law and circumcision are not being required (making them closer to Paul in their preaching?). Of course, considering that Hinduism, and Jainism both have some pretty strict dietary restrictions, from my understanding, maybe those being preached are actually a bit liberating :)
I need to do some research on Hinduism, because--no no no, spoilers! ;) But let's just say that I don't have plans for Judas to meet up with too many Jains.
But yeah, the dietary restrictions going away will be very liberating, but the people that make their livelihoods around making those certain foods are gonna be... peeved, to say the least.

I need to do some research on Hinduism, because--no no no, spoilers! ;) But let's just say that I don't have plans for Judas to meet up with too many Jains.
But yeah, the dietary restrictions going away will be very liberating, but the people that make their livelihoods around making those certain foods are gonna be... peeved, to say the least.

Its a shame about the Jains, and I think they were more prominent in Northwestern India during this time.

So, on an unrelated subject, I take it that the 'quotes' you are using for the TL are from an alternate version of Acts of the Apostles?